• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Dino Crisis remake simply doesn't make sense and what Capcom needs to remake instead.

Have you played and finished Onimusha and Dino Crisis games?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Okay, guys and girls, before telling me that I'm wrong, let me at least explain why I think the Dino Crisis remake simply doesn't make sense and what Capcom needs to remake instead and why.

It's pretty easy for us, people who actually play video games, to think that "I love such and such game and it'll be cool if said publisher did a remake of it with modern tech, mocap etc.", but hardly anyone (and I'm not saying everyone, so don't at me) actually stopped and think - Does it really make sense? Have I looked at other media to see if it's a good idea or not? Are my personal feelings and the factor of nostalgia clouding my judgement and have I considered other and more realistic options with a lot more staying power from a financial point of view of said company, who needs to invest a lot of money, time and manpower to make one specific remake of such and such game just cuz I love it so much? But that's just what YOU need to think before asking someone to do for you (or a fanbase), but there's also a company with a shit ton of responsibility and even more things to consider to remake a game for you. Companies are not our friends and we all know that (I hope), so before doing something they also need to think about whether it makes sense for them or not. If they love making games it's one thing, but they can't just greenlight a remake of a game you love and gain nothing out of it and in the long term as well - profits to fund remakes (and probably new IPs too) of other games in the series in the future (if the first one is a success) etc. If you look at which games Capcom did a remake of in the last 5 years, you can clearly see that there's a pattern here (well, except maybe Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection, but I doubt it was a huge time, money and manpower investment for them) they only did remakes of games which 1) Could be profitable 2) Fund new remakes and other projects 3) Also makes sense cuz of what they turned RE into during PS3/X360 era and they needed to turn things around for one their best IPs ever.

Now, a lot of you can say that - Hey, Agent, but they also turned Dino Crisis into something no one asked for and almost killed the series with the third game! Doesn't it warrant another turn around? To which I say - yes, I know about what Dino Crisis 3 did, but as far as the Dino Crisis IP as a whole is concerned, it simply does not automatically justifies Dino Crisis remakes and that Capcom needs to make them (or at the very least the first one to test the waters) and you're not considering other options beyond just your selfish needs. Capcom did make a few remakes and sort of reimaginings of older IPs by outsourcing them to other studios during X360/PS3 era, some of them were great/good (Strider, Bionic Commando games, yes, even the one Grin made imho), some not so good or questionable (DmC), and even before all that there was Resident Evil remake for GameCube which was and still is an amazing game. So it's not that they've come up with the idea of remaking games when they started remaking Resident Evil 2. The reason I'm saying all this is for you to see and understand what they did in the past, which remakes and which sequels to already existing IPs, what they as a Company were back then, what they are right now, what's changed for them based on what they did in the past and that you also need to consider all this before asking them of something. It wasn't an easy ride for them by no means, they almost killed RE as an IP not only by making RE5 and RE6, but also Revelations 2 and Operation Raccoon City, but while doing all that they've also made Dragon's Dogma which clearly shows that the can do better and they did.

Why do I think the Dino Crisis remake simply doesn't make sense for them to do while also investing a lot of money, time and manpower? Well, for quite a few reasons. Let me try and explain. But I'll start with what some of you may consider not really a good argument, but bear with me, it'll make sense in the end. So, everyone knows about Jurassic Park, but have you even considered why it worked back in 1993 (beyond technical aspects and CGI) and before it turned into something that wasn't really relevant and interesting by 2001 when the 3rd movie was released and later to a stupid and senseless cash grab that came after with the new trilogy? Well, think about it. First of all it was a really cool idea which also made sense from a storytelling perspective, the tech was at the level to realize it and it was an adventure movie first and foremost, without stupid and brainless plots of the last three movies to justify everything what's going on the screen and with each new movie it was even worse, so much so that my head hurts even trying to think about it and remembering all the stupid shit I saw and want to forget. Now, think about what the Dino Crisis was all about and does it really make sense to bring it back all these years later while also completely forgetting that you personally need it for some selfish reason?

Do you think killing stupid and boring dinos with guns will be compelling in the 2020s? Cuz do keep in mind that there's only so much you can do with the dinos before it gets stale and boring, let alone make it interesting enough in a modern age from a gameplay perspective. I mean, let's face it, we're looking at a borderline stupid and brainless af TPS here with idiotic plot, no matter how much you'd love to see Regina's butt and boobs in full next gen glory, especially if we're considering almost one to one remake with a few additions like in RE2 for example. Does it really sound and looks like something amazing and worth the time, effort and investment for Capcom without thinking about what I've said above and considering all options? No one wants another stupid and brainless action focused RE game which could be the end for the series again and this time for good, right? Right. So, why does the Dino Crisis remake need to be this thing, cuz there's no way you can make it something more than that and with a competent and interesting story and characters. Can we say for sure that this is what a potential Dino Crisis remake will end up being? No, we can't, but I just can't see how a Dino Crisis remake can be something else based on what it was and be relevant in today's day and age from a gameplay and senseable story perspective, let alone have a lasting power to warrant more sequels/remakes and first and foremost - be profitable. There was time for experiments on an already existing formula and Capcom did plenty of that, plenty, but times have changed and what made sense then doesn't necessarily make sense now and on the current market, plus, there's far more potential when it comes to Capcpm's other IP which have long been forgotten and also used RE formula, but at the same time was completely unique at what it offered and plays extremely well and fresh even now.

Of course I'm talking about the Onimusha series. The first time I heard about this series was back when I saw a mind-blowing 7m CGI intro for Onimusha 3, which looks effin' amazing even today:

I dare you to tell me that Dino Crisis has way more potential, story, character, setting, gameplay power and makes more sense to remake profitability-wise after watchin' Onimusha 3 intro again. Whether Onimusha 3 was as good as this CGI intro is a completely different story and there's plenty to argue about in this regard for sure, but the first two games were amazing (if not too short) and given that RE engine can offer vastly better image quality now than Onimusha 3 CGI intrp, given that they don't even need to change camera perspective cuz by doing so they not only can make games look vastly better with more detailed environments, lighting etc., but also expand the scope and the story and offer much more substantial experience than the first game was (for example). After finishing Warlords, it felt more like a prologue to something great with amazing combat mechanics, really fun and rewarding combat challanges, cool puzzles, interesting (if not underdeveloped) characters, incredibly atmospheric setting and world to experience, but you wanted way more than what the game offered by the time credits started rolling. They can even bring back Takeshi Kaneshiro (which still looks great at the age of 50 and for sure can do cool mockup shit), rewrite and expand the beginning of the story and the story itself (for potential sequels), add and show way more context to everything - the beginning of the Warlords was rushed af and there was almost zero character development throughout the whole game - it was basically a prince saving princes from a bad guy type of story and nothing more than that, which... works fine, really, but it needs to be changed to something more complex and compelling for modern day and age. While doing all that, they also need to think about tying the first game to what was in the sequel and maybe find ways to introduce characters organically in the first game to then properly justify why aren't we playing as Samanosuke in the sequel, which I don't think was explained at all in the original sequel, but do correct me if I'm wrong. And then, if the first two games do well (which I'm sure they will), the 3rd game needs to be completely different from the original and realize the full potential of that CGI trailer they've made all these years ago.

Honestly, I can't see how you can beat the potential Onimusha by offering to remake Resident Evil clone with dinos instead. Not only it doesn't make sense from the compelling and interesting story and gameplay perspective, but also from the point of lasting power, characters, setting and profitability. Onimusha can offer far more interesting gameplay and combat experience with modern tech and ideas (even the first game still plays great after all these years, go buy it on Steam and play if you haven't already), way more compelling and interesting setting and time period, far more interesting characters (provided they'll do the work necessary, which I'm sure they can and will), way more potential overall, lasting power and profitability and if you think you can explain to me why I'm wrong beyond just your selfish needs and desires and provide legit arguments after reading what I've said, please do so. As if what I've already said is not enough, Onimusha remakes even makes more sense cuz of how much different this IP is from just a pure RE clone with dinos, c'mon, you can't argue with that. Also one thing to consider, Capcom can do way more shit now and with modern tech than they ever could way back in the Xbox/PS2 era, so don't look at the first two Onimusha games and think that that it's all there will be in the remakes and there's nothing more they can do, cuz they can and they will.

Now, the last thing I want to say is that, even though I love Onimusha games (the first two and sort of the last one a bit), but at the same time my judgement isn't clouded by selfish needs and wants and I'm also considering all options here and what makes sense from various points of view, so keep that in mind. I'm not asking Capcom to try and remake Bionic Commando in 3D again (but in house and differently), cuz it's just doesn't have anything to warrant it beyond my selfish needs, I also don't ask them to remake Lost Planet, cuz even though it also has potential which wasn't fully realized, I just don't see how they could make it work without making yet another TPS with mechs again, which they did already back in 2007, 17 years ago (differently than others, yes, but still), maybe with better story, characters and gameplay... but ultimately sort of the same game overall? Nah. Onimusha is THE IP they need to strongly consider remaking in the furture, after they're done with RE remakes or maybe even now to change things up a bit before releases, like they're doing with Dragon's Dogma 2 for example.

Anyway, that's it from me. Would love to hear your thoughts on the matter and constructive arguments:messenger_relieved:

P.S. Is this scientific enough for you JokerMM JokerMM ?:messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

elbourreau

didnt read GIF

Merry christmas !

Aion002

Counterpoint:

A Dino Crisis Remake is easier for Capcom to do than a new Onimusha. They just need to use everything they already have with RE series. Slow and methodical Dino Crisis 1 gameplay = RE2R. Faster action gameplay = RE4R and RE3R.

Onimusha will face serious competition, From Software souls gameplay is what most consumers expect from melee combat these days, Onimusha will compete and be compared to Souls like games. While, Dino Crisis is unique, RE fans will immediately be interested and anyone's that likes Dinossaurs will be curious.

Finally...

Smackdown Live Reaction GIF by WWE

Capcom can do it, one existence doesn't affect the other.

Last edited:

mrcroket

I like both and have completed both, I didn't read enterely but have read enough to disagree, dinosaurs are more fun and varied than zombies as enemies, so if RE remakes works I don't see why dinocrisis won't.

A onimusha remake would be great but I prefer dinocrisis.

BWJinxing

Dino criss 2 is what I recall and was Franky fun shooter that happen to have a story.

I never beat onimusha games in any capacity. I though it was fun in the moment but I don't remember anything other than drowning in a trap.

Love Onimusha. One of the first PS2 games I can remember playing start to finish. Still think Dino Crisis deserves a remake more than that franchise. You can still buy and play Onimusha now. Dino Crisis...well. Steam let's me buy the soundtracks to the games I guess.

Love how so many people literally on a message board going on about how they can't be bothered to read.

That said, I don't care either way. Onimusha was cool, but I never played the sequels.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Okay, guys and girls, before telling me that I'm wrong, let me at least explain why I think the Dino Crisis remake simply doesn't make sense and what Capcom needs to remake instead and why.

It's pretty easy for us, people who actually play video games, to think that "I love such and such game and it'll be cool if said publisher did a remake of it with modern tech, mocap etc.", but hardly anyone (and I'm not saying everyone, so don't at me) actually stopped and think - Does it really make sense? Have I looked at other media to see if it's a good idea or not? Are my personal feelings and the factor of nostalgia clouding my judgement and have I considered other and more realistic options with a lot more staying power from a financial point of view of said company, who needs to invest a lot of money, time and manpower to make one specific remake of such and such game just cuz I love it so much? But that's just what YOU need to think before asking someone to do for you (or a fanbase), but there's also a company with a shit ton of responsibility and even more things to consider to remake a game for you. Companies are not our friends and we all know that (I hope), so before doing something they also need to think about whether it makes sense for them or not. If they love making games it's one thing, but they can't just greenlight a remake of a game you love and gain nothing out of it and in the long term as well - profits to fund remakes (and probably new IPs too) of other games in the series in the future (if the first one is a success) etc. If you look at which games Capcom did a remake of in the last 5 years, you can clearly see that there's a pattern here (well, except maybe Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection, but I doubt it was a huge time, money and manpower investment for them) they only did remakes of games which 1) Could be profitable 2) Fund new remakes and other projects 3) Also makes sense cuz of what they turned RE into during PS3/X360 era and they needed to turn things around for one their best IPs ever.

Now, a lot of you can say that - Hey, Agent, but they also turned Dino Crisis into something no one asked for and almost killed the series with the third game! Doesn't it warrant another turn around? To which I say - yes, I know about what Dino Crisis 3 did, but as far as the Dino Crisis IP as a whole is concerned, it simply does not automatically justifies Dino Crisis remakes and that Capcom needs to make them (or at the very least the first one to test the waters) and you're not considering other options beyond just your selfish needs. Capcom did make a few remakes and sort of reimaginings of older IPs by outsourcing them to other studios during X360/PS3 era, some of them were great/good (Strider, Bionic Commando games, yes, even the one Grin made imho), some not so good or questionable (DmC), and even before all that there was Resident Evil remake for GameCube which was and still is an amazing game. So it's not that they've come up with the idea of remaking games when they started remaking Resident Evil 2. The reason I'm saying all this is for you to see and understand what they did in the past, which remakes and which sequels to already existing IPs, what they as a Company were back then, what they are right now, what's changed for them based on what they did in the past and that you also need to consider all this before asking them of something. It wasn't an easy ride for them by no means, they almost killed RE as an IP not only by making RE5 and RE6, but also Revelations 2 and Operation Raccoon City, but while doing all that they've also made Dragon's Dogma which clearly shows that the can do better and they did.

Why do I think the Dino Crisis remake simply doesn't make sense for them to do while also investing a lot of money, time and manpower? Well, for quite a few reasons. Let me try and explain. But I'll start with what some of you may consider not really a good argument, but bear with me, it'll make sense in the end. So, everyone knows about Jurassic Park, but have you even considered why it worked back in 1993 (beyond technical aspects and CGI) and before it turned into something that wasn't really relevant and interesting by 2001 when the 3rd movie was released and later to a stupid and senseless cash grab that came after with the new trilogy? Well, think about it. First of all it was a really cool idea which also made sense from a storytelling perspective, the tech was at the level to realize it and it was an adventure movie first and foremost, without stupid and brainless plots of the last three movies to justify everything what's going on the screen and with each new movie it was even worse, so much so that my head hurts even trying to think about it and remembering all the stupid shit I saw and want to forget. Now, think about what the Dino Crisis was all about and does it really make sense to bring it back all these years later while also completely forgetting that you personally need it for some selfish reason?

Do you think killing stupid and boring dinos with guns will be compelling in the 2020s? Cuz do keep in mind that there's only so much you can do with the dinos before it gets stale and boring, let alone make it interesting enough in a modern age from a gameplay perspective. I mean, let's face it, we're looking at a borderline stupid and brainless af TPS here with idiotic plot, no matter how much you'd love to see Regina's butt and boobs in full next gen glory, especially if we're considering almost one to one remake with a few additions like in RE2 for example. Does it really sound and looks like something amazing and worth the time, effort and investment for Capcom without thinking about what I've said above and considering all options? No one wants another stupid and brainless action focused RE game which could be the end for the series again and this time for good, right? Right. So, why does the Dino Crisis remake need to be this thing, cuz there's no way you can make it something more than that and with a competent and interesting story and characters. Can we say for sure that this is what a potential Dino Crisis remake will end up being? No, we can't, but I just can't see how a Dino Crisis remake can be something else based on what it was and be relevant in today's day and age from a gameplay and senseable story perspective, let alone have a lasting power to warrant more sequels/remakes and first and foremost - be profitable. There was time for experiments on an already existing formula and Capcom did plenty of that, plenty, but times have changed and what made sense then doesn't necessarily make sense now and on the current market, plus, there's far more potential when it comes to Capcpm's other IP which have long been forgotten and also used RE formula, but at the same time was completely unique at what it offered and plays extremely well and fresh even now.

Of course I'm talking about the Onimusha series. The first time I heard about this series was back when I saw a mind-blowing 7m CGI intro for Onimusha 3, which looks effin' amazing even today:

I dare you to tell me that Dino Crisis has way more potential, story, character, setting, gameplay power and makes more sense to remake profitability-wise after watchin' Onimusha 3 intro again. Whether Onimusha 3 was as good as this CGI intro is a completely different story and there's plenty to argue about in this regard for sure, but the first two games were amazing (if not too short) and given that RE engine can offer vastly better image quality now than Onimusha 3 CGI intrp, given that they don't even need to change camera perspective cuz by doing so they not only can make games look vastly better with more detailed environments, lighting etc., but also expand the scope and the story and offer much more substantial experience than the first game was (for example). After finishing Warlords, it felt more like a prologue to something great with amazing combat mechanics, really fun and rewarding combat challanges, cool puzzles, interesting (if not underdeveloped) characters, incredibly atmospheric setting and world to experience, but you wanted way more than what the game offered by the time credits started rolling. They can even bring back Takeshi Kaneshiro (which still looks great at the age of 50 and for sure can do cool mockup shit), rewrite and expand the beginning of the story and the story itself (for potential sequels), add and show way more context to everything - the beginning of the Warlords was rushed af and there was almost zero character development throughout the whole game - it was basically a prince saving princes from a bad guy type of story and nothing more than that, which... works fine, really, but it needs to be changed to something more complex and compelling for modern day and age. While doing all that, they also need to think about tying the first game to what was in the sequel and maybe find ways to introduce characters organically in the first game to then properly justify why aren't we playing as Samanosuke in the sequel, which I don't think was explained at all in the original sequel, but do correct me if I'm wrong. And then, if the first two games do well (which I'm sure they will), the 3rd game needs to be completely different from the original and realize the full potential of that CGI trailer they've made all these years ago.

Honestly, I can't see how you can beat the potential Onimusha by offering to remake Resident Evil clone with dinos instead. Not only it doesn't make sense from the compelling and interesting story and gameplay perspective, but also from the point of lasting power, characters, setting and profitability. Onimusha can offer far more interesting gameplay and combat experience with modern tech and ideas (even the first game still plays great after all these years, go buy it on Steam and play if you haven't already), way more compelling and interesting setting and time period, far more interesting characters (provided they'll do the work necessary, which I'm sure they can and will), way more potential overall, lasting power and profitability and if you think you can explain to me why I'm wrong beyond just your selfish needs and desires and provide legit arguments after reading what I've said, please do so. As if what I've already said is not enough, Onimusha remakes even makes more sense cuz of how much different this IP is from just a pure RE clone with dinos, c'mon, you can't argue with that. Also one thing to consider, Capcom can do way more shit now and with modern tech than they ever could way back in the Xbox/PS2 era, so don't look at the first two Onimusha games and think that that it's all there will be in the remakes and there's nothing more they can do, cuz they can and they will.

Now, the last thing I want to say is that, even though I love Onimusha games (the first two and sort of the last one a bit), but at the same time my judgement isn't clouded by selfish needs and wants and I'm also considering all options here and what makes sense from various points of view, so keep that in mind. I'm not asking Capcom to try and remake Bionic Commando in 3D again (but in house and differently), cuz it's just doesn't have anything to warrant it beyond my selfish needs, I also don't ask them to remake Lost Planet, cuz even though it also has potential which wasn't fully realized, I just don't see how they could make it work without making yet another TPS with mechs again, which they did already back in 2007, 17 years ago (differently than others, yes, but still), maybe with better story, characters and gameplay... but ultimately sort of the same game overall? Nah. Onimusha is THE IP they need to strongly consider remaking in the furture, after they're done with RE remakes or maybe even now to change things up a bit before releases, like they're doing with Dragon's Dogma 2 for example.

Anyway, that's it from me. Would love to hear your thoughts on the matter and constructive arguments:messenger_relieved:

P.S. Is this scientific enough for you JokerMM JokerMM ?:messenger_beaming:

iE5vkef.jpg

I only want Onimusha 3 remake with original casting. I want it to be on par with Ninja Gaiden II. Every other entry in the franchise is boring to me. I fear if they remake the series they will recast and make it a souls-like in feudal Japan. Like there are not enough souls-likes or cinematic experiences set in feudal Japan... They would be far less entertaining than something like Resident Evil 3 Remake with dinosaurs.

Also, consider any samurai film/game franchise and compare it to Jurassic Park. The disparity is jarring.

Last edited:

DW74

TLDR: I want remakes of games that I like, not games that you like.

Last edited:

Sakura

It kinda just sounds like you are saying dinosaurs are boring, rather than anything else OP.
I'm going to have to disagree. I feel like a Dino Crisis remake would make more money than Onimusha, on name value alone.

Counterpoint:

A Dino Crisis Remake is easier for Capcom to do than a new Onimusha. They just need to use everything they already have with RE series. Slow and methodical Dino Crisis 1 gameplay = RE2R. Faster action gameplay = RE4R and RE3R.

Onimusha will face serious competition, From Software souls gameplay is what most consumers expect from melee combat these days, Onimusha will compete and be compared to Souls like games. While, Dino Crisis is unique, RE fans will immediately be interested and anyone's that likes Dinossaurs will be curious.

Finally...

If Ghost of Tsushima can sell, I'm not sure why Onimusha can't...

I think there is a lot more risk involved in making Dino Crisis, which had a smaller fanbase originally and doesn't hold up nearly as well.

Capcom should be looking into revitalizing all of their major franchises, but with that being said, I'm not sure Dino Crisis would make the cut.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Counterpoint:

Finally...

Thank you for this. I do agree with you that Dino Crisis will be much easier to Remake, cuz at least 50% of the work they already done in RE remakes - combat and everything else you do gameplay-wise. But that's the problem, it's just going to be a modern and much more action oriented RE clone with dinos just like it was a clone of RE with dinos way back when it was released originally. I mean, I get that for some it'll be fine and it's fine, but I think Capcom is done with it's just fine when it comes to their big releases and it's a different company now.

Is it a lot more fun to challenge yourself though? To try and figure out how to make something better and more complex? Onimusha is the right project for this and no, I don't agree with though who think that there's plenty of Onimusha like games right now, cuz there aren't any, there's plenty of bad or mediocre Assassin's Creed and Dark Souls clones made by Team Ninja (and they're continue making them), as well as one extremely well made and frankly amazing Sekiro, but Onimusha is different than all of them and is much closer to RE actually, but in medieval Japan and with it's own unique stuff RE simply don't have.

I haven't seen any attempts to clone Onimusha as well, do a similar combat system with the gauntlet, magic powers and stuff which is so much fun to use and reminds me of golden years of God of War before modern BS was released. There's no need to turn Onimusha into a Souls-like, cuz it already has everything in needs combat-wise (Warlords had deflection system long before From have made Sekiro btw), they just need to figure out how to make old camera perspective work with the combat they already have to minimize camera issues, add a few more things to the combat which they couldn't back then, modernize the control scheme and make it much less tanky and the stuff I already talked about in my post.

Idk, I just can't see Capcom going for a much safer routh instead of challenging themselves creatively after what they did with RE remakes. I mean, Dragon's Dogma 2 sort of looks a bit safe and way too simmilar to what original game was, but no one have played the game yet to say that Capcom haven't done anything to make everything what original game did very badly (side quests, character development and story) much better, so we have to hold off from from judging the game on that front until we can actually play it next year.

Who wouldn't want a dinosaur horror game with Resident Evil 4 remake gameplay?
I can hardly call Dino Crisis a horror game. I mean, I'm sorry but it looks more like a circus with dinos now and even more so than original RE game on PS1, just like modern Jurassic Park movies. Dinos are boring and there's plenty of games with Dinos btw, Capcom's Monster Hunter is just one example. Have anyone remember Turok game made for X360 and PS3? I can't imagine Dino Crisis remake to be much better when it comes to dealing with dinos and feed them lead.

Problem with Onimusha is maybe that not many people bought Onimusha: warlords remaster
I can't imagine it being a huge effort for Capcom to make it honestly while also having completely unrealistic expectations when it comes to sales. They don't need to make anyone believe that the game is great, cuz it already was way back when it was released, they just need to make the right call now and try to make it and the whole IP even better and they have everything they need to make it happen.

I only want Onimusha 3 remake with original casting. I can imagine it being on par with Ninja Gaiden II if done well. I fear if they remake the series they will recast and make it a souls-like in feudal Japan. :sick: Unfortunately every other entry in the franchise is boring to me and would be less entertaining than something like Resident Evil 3 Remake or Resident Evil 4 Remake with dinosaurs.
Interesting perspective:unsure:

I find the third game much less interesting than the first two, but for them to make something closer to Ninja Gaiden would be cool, I mean original game already have Ninja Gaiden vibes, but combat is less intense, not that complicated and difficult to master I would say, so here's where they can improve for sure but without losing identity at the same time. They already have completely different characters and combat for Samanosuke and Kaede in the first game, but they can improve it more. If I remember correctly, there was Genma Onimusha for Xbox which was more difficult, had new enemies, gameplay mechanics and stuff, so it's not like they haven't done something similar it the past with the game they've already made and released, it's just they need to make it again on a modern level now.

P.S. Merry christmas!🎄

Last edited:

CGNoire

No way am I reading a Giant Wall of Text just cause you cant find a more Concise way of saying... "I don't find Killing Dinosaurs Stimulating enough to want a Remake."

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
No way am I reading a Giant Wall of Text just cause you cant find a more Concise way of saying... "I don't find Killing Dinosaurs Stimulating enough to want a Remake."
I'm almost 40 year old, I needed to prove my point as to why I think the way I think, cuz otherwise it's pointless and I can't just do that by saying fuck all like you're suggesting :messenger_beaming:

You don't get why a manga-level plot about humans battling oni does not have the same mass appeal as a semi-historical war drama?
I've played and finished Ghost of Tsushima, it was the most boring Assassin's Creed clone I've every played in my life. What Onimusha has is way more interesting and I already explained why it sort of didn't worked so well cuz of the very simplistic plot and rushed beginning, which can be fixes easily and drasticaly in remake.

Last edited:

drezz

I can hardly call Dino Crisis a horror game.
That T-Rex Busting through the window hit me harder den RE1's Dogs through the window.

I am not fan of the overall story of DC(That can be retconned imo), but the mood of the game was without a doubt a horror game.

Reaction GIF

There’s a difference between a message board post and writing a mini novel. As Stephen King basically said in his book “On Writing” regarding what to do when finishing a first draft: “edit that shit down!”
I'd say it's closer to a passionate post than a mini novel. It's a couple thousand words! People read on average maybe 200-250 words per minute, so around 8-10 minutes to read this. I think we could use more posts like this personally.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I read your post OP. I don't really agree with your premise, dinosaurs are always popular and the Dino Crisis setting has a high ceiling. Just because it's been totally and vastly underused by Capcom doesn't mean that potential doesn't exist. and I also think that, from an Americlap point of view, it has far more market potential than the Japanese quasi-historical setting infused with supernatural elements from Japanese folk tales. After all... Ghostwire Tokyo... It's understandable if you like the setting more (although you open yourself up to being called a weeb), but dinosaurs are way more fun for us burgers.

Zuzu

It’d be nice to at least get a re-release of the existing Dino Crisis games on current consoles. I believe they’re only playable on PS1, Dreamcast, PSN (PS3, PSP, Vita) & they had an old Windows release. They re-released the original Onimusha so they should do the same for Dino Crisis.

Last edited:

Aion002

If Ghost of Tsushima can sell, I'm not sure why Onimusha can't...

I think there is a lot more risk involved in making Dino Crisis, which had a smaller fanbase originally and doesn't hold up nearly as well.

Capcom should be looking into revitalizing all of their major franchises, but with that being said, I'm not sure Dino Crisis would make the cut.
Sure, but it's cheaper to use the RE stuff on Dino Crisis, than make a whole new thing on Onimusha. Heck... They can even use dinos from Exo Primal to save time and money.

Also, comparing Tsushima with Onimusha doesn't work. Tsushima is a triple A title, open world game from Sony, while a new Onimusha would be compared with games like Sekiro or Lies of P (budget and mechanically wise).

I am not saying that it wouldn't sell, just that it's a market that has some heavy competition, that just keeps increasing, specially next year with Elden Ring DLC, the Wukong game, Lies of P dlc and many other souls like games that will eventually be released.

As a Onimusha fan I would pre order it on day one, it's just that it seems easier, faster and cheaper for Capcom to make a new Dino Crisis game than a new Onimusha.

Also, Capcom already announced this game:

It might not be the same as Onimusha, but thematically it is...

Dr_Salt

There is literally no one who wants a Dino Crisis remake outside of these forums and that weird guy over at Reee. Games were just a RE asset swap. Capcom has 0 incentive to remake any of those games tbh.

Also, Onimusha is getting either a remake or a new game sooner or later. The proof is that they spent money on that netflix show just like they did with the Dragon's Dogma show before they announced DD2.

Last edited:
Top Bottom