• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 Backlog Blitz - Drive slow and enjoy the scenery

Another year, another chance to join the NeoGAF Backlog Blitz.

Prior threads

Simple Rules
  • If you finish a game in your backlog, it counts as +1.
  • If you buy, or otherwise acquire a new game, that counts as -1.
  • The goal is to have as high a number as possible.

Special Rules
  • Clean Slate - You only count games as a -1 that you bought this year. As of January 1st your total score is reset to zero, any games bought/received prior do not count as a -1, only a +1 if you beat them. If you're joining mid-year and don't remember what you've bought to date - give yourself a clean slate right now.
  • Freebies - It has been the consensus after last year that free games (not gifts/presents) count as a +/- 0. They can be included in the thread but please attempt to use something to denote that they were free and do not count as a +/- 1.
  • PS + - This is really the same as freebies, some people liked to mark them different than the freebies though for organization purposes.
  • HD Collections - As agreed upon in last years thread, if you haven't played the game before than the HD collection can count as a +/- 1; however, if you have already played it then it does not count towards your goal.
  • Multiplayer Only Games - It is generally considered okay to consider them beaten once you *feel* you have gotten a full games worth of content. This also applies for score-attack games with no real ending.
  • Updates - Please update your status with a new post. Updating your old post won't allow your progress to motivate others. Once a game is beaten or once/twice a month seem to be the standard updates, but feel free to do it as you please.

Resources
  • Backloggery - This site is a little more manual but seems to be a GAF favorite. The focus is just on your completion status of the game (Unplayed, Unfinished, Beaten, Completed).
  • HowLongToBeat - This site allows you to enter the amount of time it took to beat the game and can also be used as a reference for how long it may take to beat based on other players results.
  • GameDeed, a more strict table list with focus on easy comparison of games and flexible filtering.
  • Darkadia helps you bring your game collection to life by giving you the tools to quickly and painlessly manage your video game collection.
  • Playfire tracks your gaming activity automatically.
  • Raptr - This site will track games and achievements across Live, PSN, and Steam. On Live it will track time; however, it does not include a game status (unfinished, beaten, complete, etc...).

2015 Thread Statistics
(fill in this form. I'll continue to update the figures every few days)

ATUP9aZ.png

Individual progress
The "removed" category is transparent and stacked on top of the regular opaque bar.

FW38p5w.png

Cumulative score

N82Ivb2.png

Our combined effort
2015 actually doesn't look that bad. We can probably attribute the bad months of June and December to Steam sales.

Backlog heroes:
1. Spyware 73
2. nateify 28
3. HellBlazer 25
4. MadSexual 15
5. LiquidSolid 10

Worst offenders:
1. Blizniak -59
2. archnemesis -34
3. KuwabaraTheMan -22
4. Nemaides -19
5. flatearthpandas -16

Largest remaining backlog:
1. archnemesis 443
2. Spyware 398
3. HellBlazer 260
4. Oldest_Ancient 259
5. LiquidSolid 259

Spyware

That purple line is so lonely! It needs company this year so lets do it! :)
But actually it's more likely that my line will come down and join the others this year since my goal is just one finished game per week and I know a bunch of games I wanna buy. I'm gonna focus more on the backlogs that are actually beatable this year (books, movies and board games).

2015 summary:
Bought: 11
Finished: 86
Final "score": +75

Remaining backlog: 398 (.__.)

The backlog actually shrunk a lot more than 75 entries tho because I also removed a bunch of my SO's games I thought I would be interested in but now don't feel like playing. I also trashed and sold a bunch of games. So this year I'm also gonna list anything I remove to show how that huge number is changing.

Bah. The more I think about it, the more I wanna play two games per week again. That backlog number is insane. Hrm.

Relatively pleased with last year although I got a score of -6, I screwed myself Jan and Dec taking a -9 for those 2 months alone.

Bought in 2015: 60
Completed in 2015: 51
Retired in 2015: 3

I only really gave up on 1 game last year (Lords of Shadow) but Ryse won't run on my laptop and I can't get Dark Forces to work with a controller.

I've got a couple of quick completions outstanding and I'm planing to finish and trade my WiiU this year so I'm aiming for +12 but a good price on an X1 could cause all manner of issues.

Progress

kulapik

This year I'm trying not to buy too many games, though steam sale is going to start with the wrong foot. So I'm joining

Ended last year with -22 maybe this one will be better :)

edit: that was fast :)

Bought in 2016:

Finished in 2016:
1. Halo:Spartan assault - January, PC

Total Score: +1

Gonna try to participate again this year. I started last year, but things got really chaotic halfway through due to some personal and job issues that came up. My backloggery has me at -47 for last year, but it's probably inaccurate.

I'm hoping to reduce my purchases this year, since I'm definitely buying more than I can consume, but I've also said that for the past 3 years :)

Rosur

Filled the form with my stats. Final score of --11 this year hope its more +11 this year but with the amount of games I want to play I doubt it.

So for the first 2016 update:

Bought in 2016: 9
Completed in 2016: 5
Score: -4

Brought in Jan:
Borderlands Handsome Collection (PS4)
Rebel Galaxy (PC)
Undertale (PC)
XCOM: Enemy Within (PC)
Guitar Hero Live (PS4)
Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls (PC)
Life is Strange (PS4)
Rise of the Tomb Raider (PC)

Beaten in Jan:
Until Dawn (PS4)
Just Cause 3 (PC)
XCOM: Enemy Within (PC)
Anno 2205 (PC)
Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls (PC)

Currently Playing:
Borderlands 2 (PS4)
Rebel Galaxy (PC)
Until Dawn (PS4) (going to get the platinum)
Mad Max (PC)

Also heres my backlog on How Long to Beat.

edit: seem to be actually finishing up games this month as nothing new has been out.

dickroach

between the Steam Sale/GOG/and Humble Bundle, I literally bought ~100 PC games last month. so yeah. I'm in.

The_Dude

Hoping for a positive score this year - by which I mean I'm hoping for the strength to resist end of year sales, which are always what push me into negative territory.

I'm near the end of a couple of games already, so should be off to a good start.

I'm gonna get involved in this.

Beaten in 2016: +2
Bought in 2016: -1
Total: 0

Bought This Month:

Wolfenstein The Old Blood 04/01/16

Beaten This Month:

Uncharted 3 Remastered 02/01/16
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Remastered 04/01/16

Currently playing:

Jak II: Renegade
Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction
Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (priority)

Onislash

Beat: CLANNAD, Fallout 4

My backloggery

Beaten in 2016: 2
Bought in 2016: 0
Current Score: +2

Bought this month:

Beaten this month:

CLANNAD
Fallout 4

Playing:

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2
Inazuma Eleven Go: Shadow

Priorities:

Project X Zone

Will be participating this year. Here's my Backloggery: http://www.backloggery.com/rhomega

Since it's only the first day, my count is 0, but I will be updating this post as the year goes on.

Bought in 2015: 28
Beat in 2015: 12
Total score: -16

Bought in 2016:
Sonic Adventure 2
Zero Punctuation: Halfall - Hatters Gonna Hat Edition
American Truck Simulator

Beat in 2016:
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge Special Edition
Zero Punctuation: Hatfall - Hatters Gonna Hat Edition

Total score: -1

Bought in 2015: 40
Completed in 2015: 10
Retired in 2015: 0

my backloggery

Between Xenoblade X being looong and replaying Pokemon SoulSilver and Persona Q, I'll be having a slow start, but I'll do my best!

Currently Playing:

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Up Next:

Ys: The Ark of Napishtim
Ys Seven
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony
Solatorobo: Red the Hunter
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Inazuma Eleven
Suikoden
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask

Beat:

None, so far

Josh5890

I'm going to give this a shot this year. Hopefully I stay true and avoid a lot of spending (although February already looks rough)

AcridMeat

Banned
I think I may actually try this this year. It'd be a fun way to hopefully keep myself in check about my impulsive game purchases. What's the consensus on DLC by the way? For instance, today I reinstalled Borderlands 2 because I felt like finally playing the Tiny Tina DLC.

Anyway I'm off to a good start for 2016 by gaming the system, bought Grow Home 12/31 and beat it 1/1.

edit: Also what about games you buy, play for a while only to find out you actively dislike it and/or don't want to continue playing it. Is that considered "done"/+1? I can see arguments either way for it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Would be a good idea to join in. So for 2016 there will be a new document and clean slate? Because I haven't kept any personal statistics before, but I will for 2016.

Woo! Thanks for all the work, archnemesis, those are some pretty charts.

Last year I was stoked to make a double digit impact on my backlog but this year, I've got a lot of games I want coming out and I want to finish some of the RPGs in my backlog, so I think I'll be happy just to be in the positives.

I guess I'll post my January update now to reserve a spot and edit it at the end of the month.

January Update:

Backloggery

Currently Playing:
  • The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 (PS4)

January Bought:
  1. Total War: Attila (PC) - 01/01/16
  2. The Talos Principle (PS4) - 02/01/16
  3. Amplitude (PS4) - 11/01/16
  4. Driveclub Bikes (PS4) - 13/01/16
  5. The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 (PS4) - 13/01/16
  6. The Witness (PS4) - 28/01/16

January Beaten:
  1. Yakuza 5 (PS3) - 31/01/16

Bought in January 2016: 6
Beaten in January 2016: 1

Bought in 2016: 6
Beaten in 2016: 1
Score: -5

Question: What about open-ended games like Elite: Dangerous or the upcoming American Truck Simulator where there is no end-game? Multiplayer-focused games like Team Fortress 2? Puzzle games like Lumines? How do we consider those games beaten?

Question: What about open-ended games like Elite: Dangerous or the upcoming American Truck Simulator where there is no end-game? Multiplayer-focused games like Team Fortress 2? Puzzle games like Lumines? How do we consider those games beaten?
If you can't reach the end credits then you just have to set up an arbitrary goal yourself.

I've been needing some accountability so I'll give this thread a shot this year. I will count ps+ games as a +1/-1 if I intended to buy them at some point.

http://backloggery.com/weemadarthur

Bought in 2016:

Finished in 2016:
1. Broken Age Jan 2
2. Unmechanical Jan 3
3. Hands on Tangrams

Total Score: +3

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
In as always, I'm hoping to do much better this year.

What is the general consensus on finishing a game? I've amassed a substantial backlog over the past three years and would like to actually play most of the games on my list but honestly unless I completely stop buying new games for several years there is no way I will get to the credits and "beat" all of these games.

I've gone and created an Excel sheet breaking up games into categories of priorities of importance and listed estimated hours of play to at least see a decent chunk of the game and to "get my money's worth" of what I paid for it. Adding up the numbers my average price is $28 per game so I figure 10-20 hours of playtime is enough for most. I figure that is equivalent to a season of a TV show. Any game that cost less than $10 needs only a few hours of play to be worth it to me.

I started using a "removed from backlog" category for games that I had enough of, even though I didn't complete them. I'm not going to sit through hours of boredom just to get a +1. If you are done with the game then it is no longer in your backlog regardless if you reached the end credits or not. Last year I mostly used the removed category for PS+ freebies.

I started using a "removed from backlog" category for games that I had enough of, even though I didn't complete them. I'm not going to sit through hours of boredom just to get a +1. If you are done with the game then it is no longer in your backlog regardless if you reached the end credits or not. Last year I mostly used the removed category for PS+ freebies.

Also silly Q but what's the convention for posting? One big post that you keep editing, then split off when it's unwieldy, or a monthly post that you tally at the end of the year or?

HabeeNo

Will attempt to do this T_T

Now Playing:
Amplitude
Borderlands 2 (PS3)

Current Score: -5

January:

Bought:
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Hearts of Stone (01/04)
Amplitude (01/12)
[HB] 7th Guest (01/14)
[HB] 11th Hour (01/14)
[HB] Tex Murphy (01/14)
[HB] Tesla Effect (01/14)
[HB] MISSING: An Interactive Thriller - Episode One (01/14)
[HB] Roundabout (01/14)
[HB] Her Story (01/14)

Completed:
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (01/07)
Playthrough: 98 hours

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Hearts of Stone (01/12)
Playthrough: 10 hours and 20 minutes

Her Story (01/15)
Playthrough: 3 hours

Catherine (01/17)
Playthrough: 16 hours

stn

Completed:
Halo 5: Guardians (XBO)

Now Playing:
Yakuza 5 (PS3)

Next:
Forza Motorsport 6 (XBO)

Russ T

Banned
I did such a good job not buying new games (unless I knew I was going to play them RIGHT AWAY) in the second half of last year that I'm going to commit to this.

nakedeyes

Banned
I am all ready for this! I have a redic backlog and I'm planning on attacking it this year.

It's only the 2nd, but I bought SOMA on that sale, so I'm starting with -1 right now! ( also: just remembered I bought Living Is Random on steam last night too )

nakedeyes' Backloggery

Purchased 2016: ( - 2 )
SOMA (PS4)
Life is Strange (PC)

Completed 2016: ( + 2 )
Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girs (Vita)
Destiny: The Taken King (PS4) ( beat oryx raid on hard! I'm calling it done )

Now Playing:
Xenoblade Chronicles X (WiiU)
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC (PSP/Vita)
Life is Strange (PC)

Next:
SOMA (PS4)

Current Total: 0

Hmmm I'm in on this. Probably would have been very negative last year, but now that steam sales don't have daily deals I feel their call is easier to resist.

I prefer new posts. Nobody is going to go back and read the previous pages.

Sure thing. Well, lets get this show on the road then. LiquidSolid - I hope you don't mind that I'm using a modification of your template.

January 2016

My Backloggery Profile

Currently Playing:
  • Medal of Honor (2010) - PC
  • The Last of Us - PS3
January Bought:

January Beaten:
Just Cause 3

Thoughts: Frankly I was disappointed by JC3. 2 is a game I bought on a whim, and it was really fun, to the point that I spent 80 hours in it just wandering around blowing stuff up. I was expecting 3 to be more of the same and improved, and to be fair they did improve the game a lot coming off the back of 2. The soundtrack is fantastic, Medici seems rich and alive (if sparse in certain areas), the wingsuit is a nice addition, and it's nice that they give you more options to do what you want. I was concerned about unlimited C4 but it works really well for example. The game also looks rather pretty, but that's where things start to go downhill. Perhaps some of that is to do with the fact that I'm still using a 2 gig 680, but still - the performance was really poor, and the two patches have helped (along with capping to 30fps) but the game needed more time in the oven. The saddest thing is that there was so much potential underneath. You can tell the game really shines when you're in a base, just wandering around and causing chaos. The use of physics and the whole system they built for it is really impressive when it's in action, but it all too quickly comes to a lurch and given how the game depends on high framerates it's enough to take you out of the experience and wish things were better. I had to turn down settings, which isn't usually a big deal, but when GeForce Experience (yes I use it, don't sue) is telling you you can run the game at better settings than you have to and it's not a compromise you've made of your own volition. Certain decisions also sting - tying so many mods to the challenges to force you to go through them not because you want to but because you'll get a better upgrade. Fortunately several of the essentials are also the first ones you get. The unlock structure is also uneven - by the time you get the really good stuff there's no need for it as you probably are done and would need to use it to unlock bases you've already liberated. Finally, and of course, there's lots of "open world filler content" there for the sake of little else than collection. That's not even touching on the leaderboards (good idea, but as of writing disabled thanks to serverside problems, and the leaderboards themselves end up being pretty cluttered), the missions (could continue here but tired of typing lol) and other things. I wanted to like the game - I really did, but sadly I think all the prerelease videos showed off the best slices of a game that failed to live up to its promise. The game is definitely fun, and if you play like you're supposed to (in short doses) you'll definitely have a game that is fun to just kick back on the couch for after a long day, and leave with a smile on your face. The longer you play though (play being both per session and in terms of progression), the more you start to get confronted by the flaws, and it gets harder and harder to turn a blind eye towards them.

Current Score: +1

Carlisle

Starting the year off right! Just finished Arkham Knight so that's a +1. Though actually it was a game I borrowed from a buddy... Hmm, I guess not then. I intend to get the goty edition whenever that releases but either way I'd still be even.

Well damn, that deflated quickly. At least I got momentum. Let's keep it going.

marcincz

I hope my score in this, new year will be much better, than 2015. To be honest that shouldn't be very tough.

Summary of 2015

Bought: 54
Beat: 33
Score: -21 (damn)

Here we go again.

My backloggery

Bought: 1
1. The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS) - 02/01/2016

Beat: 1
1. Lumines (PSV) - 02/01/2016

Score: 0

Currently playing:
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (PS3)

I'm in again this year. Managed to make decent progress the past two years. Still though, it would take like 10+ years to go through my entire backlog at this rate. :\

I didn't do this last year but I think it's definitely achievable in 2016. I usually only buy around 12-15 games per year so I should be able to make a dent in my backlog this year. Right now I have about 43 games to beat plus a few more I want to replay and finish DLC for.

Backloggery

Bought: 1
Beaten: 0
Total Score: -1

Bought in January:
NBA 2K16 (XBOX ONE)

Beaten in January:
Nothing so far

Currently Playing:
Transistor (PS4)
Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell (PS4)
Mass Effect 2 (PS3)
Gears of War: Judgment (360)

Raynetastic

Neo Member
I'll give it a shot!
I have so many games preordered though, so I may be doomed

Bought in 2016: 0
Completed in 2016: 1
Score: +1

Brought in Jan:

Beaten in Jan:
Ultimate NES Remix (3DS)

Currently Playing:
Final Fantasy X (PS3)

Note: For backlog purposes, I consider an abandoned game the same as a finished one, i.e. no longer part of the backlog.

JANUARY
Purchased: Witcher 3 Expansion; Life is Strange
Finished: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt; Fez (PS+)

FEBRUARY
Purchased: Point Blank DS; Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright; Kuru Kuru Kuruin; Gravity Rush Remastered
Finished: Life is Strange; Boxboy; Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone (counted as +.5); Alien Isolation

MARCH
Purchased: Assault Android Cactus; Watch Dogs
Finished: Super Mario 3D Land; Gravity Rush Remastered

APRIL
Purchased: Kirby's Dream Land 2; Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past; Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest; Sega 3D Classics Collection; Star Fox Zero + Guard; Shantae and the Pirate's Curse; Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess; Amplitude; Daytona USA; Severed; Shantae: Risky's Revenge - Director's Cut; Infinite Space
Finished: Broforce (PS+); Assault Android Cactus

MAY
Purchased: Alienation; DOOM; Overwatch; Downwell
Finished: Amplitude; Earthbound

JUNE
Purchased: Link's Awakening; Oracle of Seasons/Ages (counted as +1); Rhythm Heaven Megamix; Tokyo Mirage Sessions; Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy VI
Finished: Overwatch (no endgame proper but earned Centenary trophy; achieved level 50)

JULY
Purchased: Zero Time Dilemma
Finished: DOOM, Alienation, Affordable Space Adventures

AUGUST
Purchased: Sunset Overdrive; 7th Dragon III: Code VFD; Kirby: Planet Robobot
Finished: Downwell (as with Overwatch, I'm not done with this game, but I've played it enough that I want to get it off my backlog tally); Ori and the Blind Forest (freebie, +0)

SEPTEMBER
Purchased: Steel Empire; Noitu Love: Devolution; Gotta Protectors; ReCore; Inside
Finished: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (true ending); Spec Ops: The Line

OCTOBER
Purchased: Superhot; Rez Infinite; Outlast; Oxenfree; The Fall; Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed; Lost Odyssey; Blue Dragon; Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
Finished: Inside; Superhot; ReCore; Witcher 3: Blood and Wine (+.5); Kirby: Planet Robobot

NOVEMBER
Purchased: Silent Hill: Shattered Dreams; Guardian Heroes; Tales of Vesperia; Titanfall 2; Dishonored 2; Pokemon Sun; Skyrim: Special Edition; Shadow Warrior; Final Fantasy X-X2: HD
Finished: Outlast; The Fall

DECEMBER
Purchased: The Last Guardian; Shiren the Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate; Wild Guns Reloaded; Talos Principle; Axiom Verge
Finished: Twilight Princess HD; Titanfall 2; Oxenfree; The Last Guardian

ABANDONED/SOLD
Child of Eden
Saints Row: The Third
The Wolf Among Us
Mass Effect Trilogy (counted as +1)
Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright
MadWorld
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Valkyria Chronicles
Steins;Gate
Watch Dogs
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Bayonetta 2
Atelier Rorona Plus: The Alchemist of Arland
Steamworld Heist
Super Mario Maker
Kuru Kuru Kuruin (great game, but ~5-6 hours in and I don't care to finish it)
Beyond Good and Evil (played about 2/3, admire it, understand its cult following, but the game has not aged well)
Star Fox Zero

Bought: 62
Finished: 25
Abandoned: 18
Score: -18

Top Bottom