• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life triples its own Steam record after big Valve update

Draugoth

Gold Member
half-life-steam-player-count-580x334.jpg

With Half-Life still free to keep for a brief time and Valve releasing a colossal 25th-anniversary update for the iconic FPS, we’ve seen a monumental player increase in the game. Between restored cut content, entirely new multiplayer maps, and even an hour-long documentary celebrating the game, Half-Life is well and truly back.

If, for some reason, the game isn’t already in your library you’ve still got some time to redeem the Half-Life free game offer. The Valve FPS game is a true classic and one that I’ve had the pleasure of playing for the first time at the start of this year. 1998’s Half-Life holds up astoundingly well, and the amount of people flocking back to the halls of Black Mesa proves it.

Over the past decade, Half-Life has sat around 500 concurrent Steam players, but with the 25th-anniversary update, we’ve seen a new all-time peak (from SteamDB’s modern tracking at least) of around 31,000 players. By my estimations, that’s an average increase of almost 6,000% just from one update.

Half-Life Steam players: a graph showing the increase in Half-Life players on Steamk, with a new peak of 30,000
damn-daniel-v0-4ncww25yg51c1.png

This is entirely because of the recent Half-Life anniversary update, which adds in the original Uplink demo, four brand-new multiplayer maps, Steam Deck verified status, a UI rework for 4k, and a whole lot more. The game is free right now too, of course, but I’d wager that the Valve shooter doesn’t need to be free to pump the ownership numbers up. Everyone already owns Half-Life, after all (now especially).

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Any real reason to play this over the other group remaster ? Black Mesa or whatever.

That shit was amazing.

Guilty_AI

Any real reason to play this over the other group remaster ? Black Mesa or whatever.

That shit was amazing.
I find the og Half Life to have quite a different atmosphere to Black Mesa.

One of the main differences for example is BM makes far more use of music/soundtrack compared to HL, which mainly used ambient sounds to build the atmosphere. Xen levels are also completely different, being much darker and generally shorter in HL.

Both are great games, but its undeniable BM took a lot of creative freedoms. You play Half Life if you want to have the original experience, and play Black Mesa if you don't care as much about authencity and prefer the modern improvements.

Last edited:

violence

Baby Yoda's may or may not be off put by how box-y it looks, but it's an n64 era game on steroids. You can also play Half-life RTX if you want OG with a twist. Not sure if the new update broke things in the RTX mod though.

Last edited:

simpatico

That shit was amazing.
Black Mesa is not Half Life. It's good, but it doesn't feel or look quite right. Gotta try the real thing. It's like if they polished and remade Super Mario World. Could be really good, but it's not gonna move and play like the real thing.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I just got it since it is free. I have never played Half-Life before, and I have no idea what I am in for. Thanks Draugoth Draugoth !

Oh wow, you're in for a treat. You're playing it way too late so you might not get what the big deal about it was, but try to put yourself in the 1998 mindset.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
What does 'adds in the uplink demo' mean? Is it now integrated into the full game? Does this mean we can no longer play the game as it originally was? I don't like that if so.

Elysium44

Banned
I don't own any valve games.
edit: damn it, just seen that I somehow own dota 2.

Do you not like them or just never tried them? I'd be surprised if you didn't like at least one of Half-Life 1 + 2 or Portal 1 + 2. These are some of the best games ever made, with broad appeal.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
What does 'adds in the uplink demo' mean? Is it now integrated into the full game? Does this mean we can no longer play the game as it originally was? I don't like that if so.

The Uplink level is a separate option when selecting a New Game, similar to the Hazard Course.

That shit was amazing.

OG Half Life is one of the best games ever made. Black Mesa is just a really good fanmade version.

tommycronin

Banned
Even mods are spectacular, this half life 2 mod is free and is better reviewed than 99% of TRUUUPPPLLEEEE AAAAYYYY games out there.

I've never heard of this at all, I'm gonna try it out on steamdeck later. Is it just Half Life 2 or is there any episode 1 and 2 in there?

Last edited:

tommycronin

Banned
I mean it's "free" and very positive reviews so yea i would say worth it. It's just that the sequel is so good. It's a quick 3 hours so I would say go for it.
I just finished up Black Mesa and while I really liked the whole game a lot, the Interloper chapter at the end solifdied my resolve in waiting atleast a few days actually before I play anything Half Life related again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom