• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

Joey Ravn

Banned
Nothing like waiting out the storm. People have been downgrading using the alpha version of the hack, then update back to 10.3 because nothing is downgraded properly.

Haven't seen a brick though. Yet.

JustPingo and Mrrraou confirmed at least 8. I won't touch this "unofficial" with even a 10-foot pole.

By the way, I won't create a new topic for the downgrading progress, since, well, it's a very grey area that's not really fit for general GAF consumption. But I think that once the dust settles and the "official" tools are released (KTM, MCH2, etc.), the OP of this topic should be thoroughly revised. Easy, painless and safe downgrading will be a massive paradigm shift and it will render this topic completely outdated.

L.O.R.D

linux on 3DS

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-linux-for-the-3ds.407187/

4xXNaQql.jpg

Guys I have a N3ds XL at 9.0 and a Legend of Zelda, never done anything with it tbh. Should I update or wait or try to get homebrew in some way on it? Is it at all possible with this setup (Without Cubic ninja)?

Things are getting very confusing very fast now
My N3DS came with 9.5, so CFW and things like that never were an option to begin with. So I never bothered learning that stuff. But now there's just an overload of stuff to catch up with.
I'll just wait for an absolute beginners tutorial. I don't want to risk anything.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Things are getting very confusing very fast now
My N3DS came with 9.5, so CFW and things like that never were an option to begin with. So I never bothered learning that stuff. But now there's just an overload of stuff to catch up with.
I'll just wait for an absolute beginners tutorial. I don't want to risk anything.
Wait a bit. Things are happening very fast right now and the scene is a mess. Things should settle down in a few days.

Yeah I'll definitely wait a few days, it's really a confusing mess right now. Until now I was just running the homebrew laucher with some basic homebrew. No risk of bricking there. But these developments are of a whole new level.

Rich!

fucking success!!!

dsc_0221n3pkb.jpg

and no, the initial reports on gbatemp of it not working on the N3DS are from those idiots using the wrong update firmware. I used the right one. It worked.

Hasney

fucking success!!!

dsc_0221n3pkb.jpg

and no, the initial reports on gbatemp of it not working on the N3DS are from those idiots using the wrong update firmware. I used the right one. It worked.

Yeah, just been going through that thread. Looks like the CFW works too now as there was an apparent issue with NATIVE_FIRM

Neat, may have to give it a shot in the morning. Tempted to do it now.

Chucker

fucking success!!!

dsc_0221n3pkb.jpg

So what does this mean I can do versus my current themehax setup?

L.O.R.D

fucking success!!!

dsc_0221n3pkb.jpg

it work on OG 3DS too ?
if you downgrade , do you lose anything ?

fucking success!!!

dsc_0221n3pkb.jpg

Shiiiit.

Might have to go ahead and do this. Might be safest to wait a day but man this is exciting. I still need to read up on how emuNAND and CFW functions on the 3DS though and how to set it all up the way I would want it - not really sure about any of this.

Shiiiit.

Might have to go ahead and do this. Might be safest to wait a day but man this is exciting. I still need to read up on how emuNAND and CFW functions on the 3DS though and how to set it all up the way I would want it - not really sure about any of this.

that's where i am at too.. going to wait since i wouldnt even know where to start after getting it down to 9.2

Hasney

We good fam
3omjYaG.jpg

One thing to note is that it doesn't boot with my SD card in now, so may have to fiddle with that. Not sure how much if anything I'll lose to get it back working, so please note it's a possibility.

finalflame

We good fam
<snip>
One thing to note is that it doesn't boot with my SD card in now, so may have to fiddle with that. Not sure how much if anything I'll lose to get it back working, so please note it's a possibility.

Yo, get that hair off your screen.

Anyways, I am hesitant. Gonna wait another day or two, no harm. Then we'll go from there.

Rich!

We good fam
3omjYaG.jpg

yeah...guys you need to back up your SD first. after downgrading you need to reformat it.

Hasney

yeah...guys you need to back up your SD first. after downgrading you need to reformat it.

Yeah, can back up afterwards at least since nothing is wiped. Also, just been told that deleting the extdata folder should do it, so just backing up now then will try.

Chucker

So, I know the revision I'm looking for, but can't find it. Found a TTP but don't know what to do with it.

US N3DS for the record.

Hasney

Can confirm that deleting the ext data under Nintendo 3DS/<hash>/<hash/extdata worked fine and it boots with my SD Card now. All my games and saves work, but the eShop games are all back to being giftwrapped and lost my folders. Small price to pay!

So, I know the revision I'm looking for, but can't find it. Found a TTP but don't know what to do with it.

That's for the Time Traveler thing that's coming out soon. You want a package of CIA files.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I just can't get past Step 7, "Clean memory etc.". I've tried with Ironhax, Themehax, Browserhax and OoThax. Wi-Fi on, Wi-Fi off. No dice :(

Edit: Now I got to "Success!". Still hangs there.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
How safe do you think this is if I want to buy an NX handheld in the future to transfer my licenses to an actual account.
That's what's scaring me with all these developments... I really want to jump in, but losing my purchases and/or NNID would be terrible.

Hasney

How safe do you think this is if I want to buy an NX handheld in the future to transfer my licenses to an actual account.

From what I've read, the only people getting banned are those with downloaded commercial games and playing them online. As of right now I don't think they check hacked eShop access so don't be a pirate and you'll be fine.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member

Joey Ravn

Banned
Thanks! So according to this guide, emuNAND can't be upgraded to 10.3 on N3DS, so no online or eShop? Not really useful to me then... I hope it'll be possible soon.

I think you can, actually. There are ways to spoof your FW version to trick the eShop... though I'm far from being an expert on the matter.

So, with this I can still download and use all my eShop games? And get on the eShop to buy new games using emuNAND?

You can use your games, though mind you: you'll have to reformat your microSD after downgrading. I used a spare 1GB card with all the files I needed and then switched back to my 64GB one once the process had been completed.

You get to buy new games using emuNAND, yes. If you maintain both NANDs linked, I guess you'll be able to use the same account on both, even.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't HANS work on 9.2 for eShop access? It did, unless they patched it.

Oh, I didn't know that.

But isn't the goal of emuNAND to have a "sandboxed" environment where your 3DS acts as a "legit", up-to-date 3DS while also keeping an homebrew-capable firmware on the side? Why would you use it if it can't be kept up-to-date then?

I read a lot on this today, but I'm still super-confused. This is making my head spin. I really think I should step away for a few days and see what happens, but all these quick developments are hypnotizing...

Joey Ravn

Banned
So how long did it take to get past step #5?

It should be instantaneous. If it takes more than a second to get past any specific step, you'll have to hard reset. Don't worry, until you finally press Y and begin the downgrading process, nothing has been written and there's no risk of bricking.

Oh, I didn't know that.

But isn't the goal of emuNAND to have a "sandboxed" environment where your 3DS acts as a "legit", up-to-date 3DS while also keeping an homebrew-capable firmware on the side? Why would you use it if it can't be kept up-to-date then?

I read a lot on this today, but I'm still super-confused. This is making my head spin. I really think I should step away for a few days and see what happens, but all these quick developments are hypnotizing...

Yes, but that is only true for the O3DS. There's no way (right now) to upgrade past 9.5 on N3DS. I honestly don't know if there will ever be a way... but 9.2/9.5 does the trick just fine.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, but that is only true for the O3DS. There's no way (right now) to upgrade past 9.5 on N3DS. I honestly don't know if there will ever be a way... but 9.2/9.5 does the trick just fine.

So no online Smash, Mario Kart or Triforce Heroes on emuNAND for N3DS?

EDIT: I'm seriously starting to consider not downgrading and just hoping Ironhax will be updated to work on whatever new firmware Nintendo releases, as Retroarch is more or less my only reason to use homebrew on 3DS. This downgrade thing is neat, but it might not be worth it for my use case.

Joey Ravn

Banned
So no online Smash, Mario Kart or Triforce Heroes on emuNAND for N3DS?

EDIT: I'm seriously starting to consider not downgrading and just hoping Ironhax will be updated to work on whatever new firmware Nintendo releases, as Retroarch is more or less my only reason to use homebrew on 3DS. This downgrade thing is neat, but it might not be worth it for my use case.

Yes... and no. There are two things that those games check for: 1. system version and 2. game updates. The answer to both (on emuNAND) is CIAs.

The game needs to check for a certain system version to run. If it notices that the system version is lower than what it requires, it doesn't start (and if it's a cart, it will prompt you to update!). You can "cryptofix" a CIA game to remove this check. Of course, you can dump your own games, convert them to CIA and apply the cryptofix yourself... but the majority of people will just download a cryptofixed CIA from the Internet. How you deal with the morality of that is up to you.

The same goes for updates. You can install updates as CIAs and the game will recognize them. This even applies to games on cart, not just to eShop games or installed CIAs, that can boot without the need to cryptofix them. Again, you have to draw the line in terms of morality and such.

Obviously, emuNAND is not a perfect solution for the N3DS right now. You have to weight what you value more: CFW support or online features. I'll choose the former any day, but it seems that you value the latter most, and that's fine. The good thing about having kernel access is that downgrading will be much, much easier in the future, so you can always install an emuNAND if things get better for it.

Whoa, awesome to see downgrading is working. Going to wait for more testing and good guide before I do it. Will this allow using CFW on N3DS w/out Cubic Ninja?

L.O.R.D

Yes... and no. There are two things that those games check for: 1. system version and 2. game updates. The answer to both (on emuNAND) is CIAs.

The game needs to check for a certain system version to run. If it notices that the system version is lower than what it requires, it doesn't start (and if it's a cart, it will prompt you to update!). You can "cryptofix" a CIA game to remove this check. Of course, you can dump your own games, convert them to CIA and apply the cryptofix yourself... but the majority of people will just download a cryptofixed CIA from the Internet. How you deal with the morality of that is up to you.

The same goes for updates. You can install updates as CIAs and the game will recognize them. This even applies to games on cart, not just to eShop games or installed CIAs, that can boot without the need to cryptofix them. Again, you have to draw the line in terms of morality and such.

Obviously, emuNAND is not a perfect solution for the N3DS right now. You have to weight what you value more: CFW support or online features. I'll choose the former any day, but it seems that you value the latter most, and that's fine. The good thing about having kernel access is that downgrading will be much, much easier in the future, so you can always install an emuNAND if things get better for it.
Wait, n3ds can't go to online on cfw ?

Ok, finally got sysupdate to work. I think I pressed Y and now I'm scared to press it again so I'm just going to leave it lol.

Edit: IT'S HAPPENING!!!?!?!!!

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member

Yaouch. I will definitely wait before downgrading then. I just bought Triforce Heroes and I'll want to play it online without jumping through all those hoops.

Thanks a lot for the info! This is super-appreciated.

These new developments are a lot to take in for someone with only a basic understanding of exactly what's going on.

It's huge, but I think I'll content myself with some Happy Home Designer until the software is mostly foolproofed. Backing up my Wii games was stressful enough (but totally worth it; thanks Dolphin team!) and this is still uncharted territory.

(Also the damn sysUpdater kept sticking at step 5 and I'm not patient enough to sit here with it for an hour.)

Still! It's great to see, at least, that it's working for some of us here.

Top Bottom