• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What additional languages can you speak and/or read?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabris

What additional languages can you speak and/or read?

I can speak and read just a tad of German. I know a couple handfuls of sentences in Japanese but cannot read anything. And whatever I subconsciously remember from sleeping during mandatory French classes in middle school.

I'm going to Asia to live abroad for a year, and while I can get by learning just a couple Thai phrases and brushing up on some of my Japanese phrases - I want to learn Mandarin for trip to Shanghai and Beijing.

What have been great ways you've been able to learn another language outside taking an actual course(s)? Any great apps lately that teach you through it and can recognize your speech back to let you know how your pronunciation is coming?

Numb

Speak and read swedish,swahili and somali. Read arabic but can't understand much anymore
School mostly outside of the mother tongue

m3r4

Dufter Typ taking lurking to the next level
German, English, Japanese fluently.

Some French, currently learning Spanish.

bluethree

Japanese - fluent/almost professional level
Korean - (rusty since I haven't used it in a while) conversational

I started learning Chinese a couple years back but got distracted, really want to get back into it.

I've been studying Spanish for over a year now because I'm Puerto Rican and I know some Japanese phrases and sentences, but can't read it.

Japanese. Just a little. I know enough to work through children's book with a dictionary and a little elbow grease and some videogames with a dictionary and a lot of elbow grease. Need to get back to studying it, I wanted to pass the JLPT N3 last year but fell off track halfway through the year.

Matsukaze

I'm decent at reading French but I sound like a clod speaking it.

I also know a tiny bit of Irish thanks to my mom.

I've been interested in learning the basics of German in my spare time, but I haven't really begun any research.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I sorta understand French, but only when spoken VERY slowly. Same as Italian due to a friend who teached us for fun and we grasped a lot of it. I can read both languages with sufficient ease. Obviously nobody would ever understand what I'm saying due to a superheavy cockney

Renekton

- Fluent in Mandarin and English.
- Passable in Malay (national language which has zero practical use).

I wonder if I should try to brush up on my written Mandarin or learn Japanese.

m3r4

How are you learning it?

I use DuoLingo for the most part, since it's the most motivating (because game-like) option to me. I also asked Spanish-speaking friends to try and not use English when we talk so I can get used to conversational patterns.

The occasional conversation between my "Spanish self" and my "French self" is probably not too effective, but it helps to keep the languages present in my mind.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Spanish since I was born in Mexico but I have a really hard time reading it and I pretty much can't write it.

Samus4145

I am very slowly learning Filipino. Understanding it is much easier than pronouncing words, as some of the syllables needed don't exist in English.

Native English.
Was taught Farsi and then Urdu in the military. So I can understand Dari as well and some Punjabi and other regional languages. Hindi is almost the same as Urdu except I can't read it but use to enjoy bollywood films. I can read any Arabic script but not know what it means exactly but since they have 3 letter root systems I usually can pick up on the base meanings.

Fou-Lu

I have a very small amount of both French and Japanese. The French is from being Canadian, the Japanese from college courses. Not fluent in either.

Lately I've been trying to study more French again (since being in Ontario, we learn it in school but never use it elsewhere). I can read and translate written sentences without too much difficulty and can form some basic sentences myself but I have to work on my speaking/grammatical and listening abilities. I have a Harrap's dictionary which is SUPER helpful. Hopefully I can be fully fluent in a bit, that's a goal of mine.

Studying Spanish in university too. Was thinking of starting to finally bite the bullet on Japanese this fall, I wonder if I can pull that off (I've got hiragana on lock and am working on katakana - doing both in my spare time for fun).

ItIsOkBro

I use DuoLingo for the most part, since it's the most motivating (because game-like) option to me. I also asked Spanish-speaking friends to try and not use English when we talk so I can get used to conversational patterns.

The occasional conversation between my "Spanish self" and my "French self" is probably not too effective, but it helps to keep the languages present in my mind.

Hmm that site seems pretty cool thanks for sharing.

I've been studying Japanese for almost two years now (university courses), so I can read and speak a bit of it. I've also retained a decent amount of Spanish from middle and high school courses. I'd like to end up attaining fluency in both languages eventually.

Tabris

I wonder if there's an equivalent for asian languages?

hazukash

Native French speaker. I took Spanish for 5 years in high school, but I never really enjoyed it. Still, I'd say I'm at an intermediate level - my best friends are Spanish speakers so it helps. I'm actively learning Japanese (studying for the JLPT 2) as well as Swedish to talk with my in-laws. Duolingo and online flash card sites are very helpful. I also know some random German. I might learn Dutch and Mandarin eventually too.

m3r4

I wonder if there's an equivalent for asian languages?

Before I started studying Japanese at Uni, I tought myself Hiragana, Katakana and thirty or so Kanji via TheJapanesePage. It gave me a nice buffer in the first couple of weeks.

As somewhat of a logical next step, I also tried to learn some Korean after becoming moderately fluent in Japanese. Talk to me in Korean has lessons as audio files accompanied by pdfs and they were always quite entertaining. Unfortunately, I never really got anywhere beyond self introduction and one-liners, but the site itself is highly recommendable imo.

... Chinese I gave up after a week, the four intonations were doing my head in.

Both services aren't as interactive as DuoLingo, but well-structured and diverse in what they have to offer.

Hypron

French is my mother tongue but I don't speak any other additional language. I did a couple of years of German in school but I don't remember much of it sadly :mad:

Spanish. It's my mother tongue so...yeah.

English. I can read, understand and speak it with no trouble.

Italian. I can read and understand it for the most part. I can speak it well enough but the problem is my lack of vocabulary.

German. I can read German without much trouble, but I have a hard time understanding any text or conversation above basic level since I'm a beginner.

Once I'm done with German (not anytime soon) I want to learn Mandarin.

Tabris

iTalki is getting popular for it.

That's basically just a service that connects per hour cost language teachers to you for Skype sessions. Seems like average cost is $20 an hour.

I rather have a DuoLingo like option with game-like bite-sized lessons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom