• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 Backlog Blitz - Drive slow and enjoy the scenery

OK I'm in

Though as only 2016 game count, I will probably have very little action on this thread as I'm trying to tackle my backlog from previous years...

Bought: 0
Beat: 0
Score: 0

Currently playing:
Bloodborne (PS4)
Vermintide (PC)
Wasteland 2 (PC)

Spyware

Though as only 2016 game count, I will probably have very little action on this thread as I'm trying to tackle my backlog from previous years...
Wha? This is the thread for backlogs, old and new. If you finish any game from the backlog it's a +1. If you buy a game (or is gifted one or whatevs) it's a -1. It doesn't matter how old the game is.

Muzy72

Banned
Let's do this!

Beaten: 0
Total Score: 0

Bought in January:
Nothing so far

Beaten in January:
Nothing so far

Currently Playing:
Final Fantasy VII (PS4)
Life Is Strange (PS4)
Bloodborne (PS4)
SteamWorld Heist (3DS)

Let's do this!

My backlog total is down to 21 games, 19 if you don't count Fallout 4 and Splatoon. My goal for 2016 is to chop that list in half, at which point the backlog would be down to mostly "for a rainy day" games, and wouldn't really feel like much of a backlog anymore. Dark Souls and the Thief games are an absolute must for this year. Beyond that, there are 3 or 4 more that I've been putting off for a while. But there are a lot of new games coming out this year that I'm looking forward to, so we'll see how many older games I end up getting to. The backlog games certainly won't be as high on the priority list in 2016 as they have been in previous years.

January Update:

Backloggery

Bought (-1):
  • Undertale (PC)
Beaten (+1):
  • Undertale (PC)
Currently Playing:
  • Fallout 4 (PS4)
Backlog Priorities:
  • Splatoon (Wii U)
  • Dark Souls (360)
  • Thief (PC)
  • Thief II: The Metal Age (PC)
  • Thief: Deadly Shadows (PC)
Bought in 2015: 1
Beat in 2015: 1
Current Score: 0

MadSexual

Okay, here we go. If I stick to my productivity and continue my trend of buying very few games, I will actually finish my backlog this year! I've got some big life things coming up, so that might interfere, but the important thing is that I'm making progress.

Bought in January:
* Lords of the Fallen
* Saints Row IV

Bought Total: 2

Beat in January:
* Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc (1/3)
* Lords of the Fallen (1/10)
* Darksiders 2: Deathinitive Edition (1/24)
* Child of Light (1/25)

Beat Total: 4

Monthly Net: 2
2016 Net: 2

AcridMeat

Banned
Update(?). Bought EDF Insect Armageddon before the New Year. Gave it a go co-op tonight and hated it compared to EDF 2017, resulted in a refund request.

Not sure if that should be a +1 or just net 0.

Beaten in 2016: 1
Refunded in 2016: 1
Bought in 2016: 0
Net: Either +1 or +2.

gaiages

Banned
^ Sounds like a net 0 to me, since the game's not in your backlog anymore.

Since we're on a new page, I'll start my January update now. In 2014 I tried to keep all the updates in one main post, but that really got unwieldy and cumbersome, so I'm just gonna split up the updates by month and link back to the main post. So...

January Update
Main Post

Bought in January (-)
Omikron: The Nomad Soul
Resonance of Fate

January Bought Total: -2

Beat in January (+)
King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Final Edition
Bayonetta
King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match
Tales from the Borderlands Episode 4
Tales from the Borderlands Episode 5
King of Fighters 2000
Mighty Switch Force Academy
The Typing of the Dead: Overkill
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2: The Newcomers
fault milestone two side: above
Hitman GO
The 39 Steps
Hexcells Plus
The Last Blade
Gunman Clive
Sonic CD
Papers, Please
Twinkle Star Sprites
Metal Slug
Metal Slug X
Ironclad
Blazing Star
Metal Slug 3
Sengoku 3

January Beat Total: +24

January Backlog Total: 24-2= +22

Removed in January (Net 0)
Fatal Fury Special
Samurai Shodown II
Samurai Shodown V Special
Deep Dungeons of Doom
Pulstar

January Removed Total: 5

Other info

Pre-orders:
Fire Emblem Fates (Will count as -3, because of Conquest, Birthright, and Revelations)
Dragon Quest VII
Dragon Quest VIII (Will probably be net 0, already beat and buying for collection's sake)
Zero Time Dilemma

Freebies:
(nothing, yet)

Backlog notes (that don't count towards the total):
X-Note - Beat in 2015, finished all the character endings this month
Golden Sun: The Lost Age - Bought, but already owned and beat in the past; bought the VC version for collection's sake. Net 0.
You Must Build A Boat - Beat in 2015, finished collecting monsters and upgrades this month.
Hexcells - Beat late 2014, completed all the puzzles without mistakes this month.

My first attempt at doing this, after spending all my Christmas money on a few new games at the start of January the rest of 2016 is all about saving for me and my partner which gives me a good excuse to work through over massive backlog on XB1, PSVita and 3DS.

January:

Brought : -4

Gears Of War Utimate Edition (XB1)
Forza Horizon 2 (XB1)
Shape Up (XB1)
Lets Dance 2016 (XB1)

Beaten : 0

Currently Playing

Gears Of War Utimate Edition (XB1)
Lets Dance 2016 (XB1)

Backlog Priorities:

Pokemon Y (3DS)
Shape Up (XB1)
Peggle 2 (XB1)
Persona 4 Golden (PSVita)
Disney Infinity 3.0 (XB1)
Tomb Raider Definitive Editon (XB1)

Bought in 2015: -4
Beat in 2015: 0
Current Score: -4

gaiages

Banned
You beat 8 games in 3 days? That's a good start. o_O

Yep, I had a long weekend to myself to do nothing but get a head start on the backlog, and most of the games on my list thus far are on the shorter end, lol. :p I don't think I'll be keeping the pace up for the rest of the month, though, since I'm back in work/school.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Update:

Beaten: 2
Mirrormoon EP
RE Revelations

Current Score: +2

What are the rules on episodes? I plan on playing Life is Strange next, but is that a +5 or a +1 when I make it through the entire season?

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
Bought:
Rebel Galaxy | 01/01/16 (PC)
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Hearts of Stone | 03/01/16 (PC)
Counter-Strike Complete | 09/02/16 (PC)

Beaten:

Bought total: 3
Beaten total: 0

Current Score: -3

Spyware

What are the rules on episodes? I plan on playing Life is Strange next, but is that a +5 or a +1 when I make it through the entire season?
Whatever you feel like. I think we've said that the only "rule" for this thread is that you're consistent. If it's +5 for five episodes, then it's -5 when you buy them too.

pots555

Beginning of march update.

Bought: The Order 1886 (-1)
Destiny The Taken King (-1)
The Last of Us Remastered Edition (-1)
Firewatch (-1)
Far Cry Primal (-1)
Alekhine's gun (-1)
The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess HD (-1)
Agatha Christie the ABC Murders (-1)

Finished: Life is Strange (+1)
Until Dawn (+1)
The Order 1886 (+1)
Star Wars Battlefront. Reached level 50. (+1)
The Last of Us Remastered Edition (+1)
Fallout 4 (+1)
Firewatch (+1)

Total so far: -1

Having a lot of fun with Far Cry Primal and Alekhine's gun but I am having problems finishing games. Some of them take a long time and I find myself loosing interest. I got rid of The Crew for that reason. I also have a hard time passing on new releases. Twilight Princess with the amiibo was just too good to pass up.

Hikami

Bought:

Beaten:

Until Dawn

Current Score: 1

Been playing through all the games I bought last fall, during Black Friday especially. Don't see myself buying much this month.

I think i did this like once in january of last year. I'll see if I stick with it this year.

Beaten: 1
Score: +1

January Purchases: nothing yet

January Completions:
Steamworld Dig. holy crap that was way more fun than expected.

Currently Playing:

Splatoon (Singleplayer):
Dark Souls
lego dimensions
Splatoon (multiplayer). Probably months away from leaving the list.
Smash 4: multi. probably going to be on this list for the remainder of the generation and then some.
Melee: probably going to be on this list for as long as my local melee scene lives, or for as long as tournaments fill me with hype.

If I don't do some backlog damage this year it'll be because of splatoon, sm4sh, and melee stealing my soul.

Gaaraz

Really like the idea of scoring in this thread. Do we include bundles and games with services under bought? If so:

Beaten:
Gears of War 2
Lego Harry Potter

Bought:
3 games on GwG, 6 games on PS+

So starting with a score of -7 already! My backlog is now very close to 1,000 games - tempted to start a blog (or a video channel) as I attempt to cut it down.

gaiages

Banned
Really like the idea of scoring in this thread. Do we include bundles and games with services under bought? If so:

Beaten:
Gears of War 2
Lego Harry Potter

Bought:
3 games on GwG, 6 games on PS+

So starting with a score of -7 already! My backlog is now very close to 1,000 games - tempted to start a blog (or a video channel) as I attempt to cut it down.

Freebies (PS+ games) usually count for a net zero. From the OP:

Freebies - It has been the consensus after last year that free games (not gifts/presents) count as a +/- 0. They can be included in the thread but please attempt to use something to denote that they were free and do not count as a +/- 1.
PS + - This is really the same as freebies, some people liked to mark them different than the freebies though for organization purposes.

So you're only at -1! :D That should make you feel like a little better ;)

EDIT: Unless you meant you bought those games on sale and have PS+ which made the prices even lower. If so... Nevermind :(

EDIT 2: Just realized GWG = Games With Gold (I just woke up ^^"), so those wouldn't count either! :D Look at that, you have a positive score now!

Gaaraz

Ah! Great news... a step in the right direction then, I'm actually at +2! Thank you.

Looking at Backloggery now and part of me wishes I used that site instead of Google spreadsheets, though to be fair, I think the spreadsheets option has saved me a lot of time (plus I'd get really involved in getting the different badges for beaten, completed & mastered)

Update post - beaten 2 more games. On quite a roll so far, and it's definitely a good thing.

January 2016

My Backloggery Profile

Currently Playing:
  • Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition - PC
  • South Park: The Stick of Truth - PS3
January Bought:

January Beaten:
Just Cause 3 (01/01/2016)
Medal of Honor (2010) (01/03/2016)
The Last of Us (01/07/2016)

Current Monthly Score: +3
Current Year Score: +3

Hikami

Bought:

Beaten:

Until Dawn
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel

Current Score: 2

Got about a week til my vacation's over, should finish 1-2 more games by then.

Is there a rule on officially writing a game off without finishing it? I am now frustrated enough with two unfinished games I own that I no longer consider them things I ever plan on beating. Do most people here could that as +1?

Spyware

I personally go by "Backloggery rules" meaning removed games are not giving me +, they just make the remaining backlog smaller :)

Kiro

Subscribed. I'm in. Will make an official post in the next day or so. I'm +1 right now though so things are going swimmingly.

cooltraineradam

Neo Member
I'm in this year. Had a positive score for the past two years now, trying to make it three in a row.

2015:

Beat: 28 (replayed 5 games as well for a total of 33)
Bought: 24

Total: +4

Backloggery

2016:

Beat:

• Ori and the Blind Forest
  • Donkey Kong Country (replay, 200th game I've beat so far this decade)

Bought:

• Xenoblade Chronicles X
  • Spelunky
  • The Talos Principle

Total (not counting replays):

Score: +1

January Purchases: nothing yet

January Completions:
Steamworld Dig. holy crap that was way more fun than expected.

Abandoned Games, removed from backlog:
Castlevania (NES via WiiU VC)
NES Remix (WiiU)
In both, I just found myself getting frustrated and no longer having any fun. For the time being I'm considering them no longer backlog items.

Currently Playing:

Splatoon (Singleplayer):
Dark Souls
lego dimensions
Splatoon (multiplayer). Probably months away from leaving the list.
Smash 4: multi. probably going to be on this list for the remainder of the generation and then some.
Melee: probably going to be on this list for as long as my local melee scene lives, or for as long as tournaments fill me with hype.
Castlevania: Dracula X chronicles.
SMT 4

If I don't do some backlog damage this year it'll be because of splatoon, sm4sh, and melee stealing my soul.

Hikami

Bought:

Beaten:

Until Dawn
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC

Current Score: 3

Whew, finally got the two biggest games out of my backlog.

AcridMeat

Banned
Update: Finished off Tiny Tina's DLC in Borderlands 2. It was much longer than expected and I wasn't happy with the class I had at that level, so I felt the lack of co-op quite a bit but it still had it's moments. There's a couple nods to RPG games and Dark Souls that got me. Also quite liked this shot at the very end of it.

Now I'm either going to start Lisa, get back to Cradle or install Dark Souls 2 finally.

Beaten in 2016: 2
Grow Home
Borderlands 2 Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep

EDF Insect Armageddon

Net in 2016: +2

Sora_N

This year is where shit will happen, but probably not. I will be trying to restrict my purchases this year once again, because I'm going back to school again.

The rising price of games in Canada and less time may help me achieve this.

Bought
January:
Megaman Legends (PS Classics)
Xenogears (PS Classics)
DMC HD Collection (PS3 - Count as 1 game unless I play all 2 games, f DMC2)
Total: 3

Completed
January:
Life is Strange: Episode 3 (1-2 done right before New Year)
Life is Strange: Episode 4
Life is Strange: Episode 5
Total: 3

Score:

Currently Playing:
Persona 4 Golden

ta155

Here's my 2016 thus far...

Bought:

Life Is Strange (XBO)
Super Mario Maker (WiiU)

Completed:

Assassin's Creed Syndicate (PS4)
Bloodborne (PS4)
Destiny: The Taken King (PS4)
Disney Infinity 3.0 Force Awakens Playset (PS4)
Life Is Strange (XBO)
Rise of the Tomb Raider (XBO)

Now Playing:

Halo 5: Guardians (XBO)
Sunset Overdrive (XBO)

2014's Leftovers:

Back to the Future (PS4)
Far Cry 4 (PS4)
Halo: The Master Chief Collection (XBO)
Rare Replay (XBO)
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (PS4)

Not even counting the hours I rack up in Battlefront, PES 2016 and Splatoon...

Brofield

Given I have games from last, two and three generations ago I still need to complete, I'm in.

And thankfully, I got The Order: 1886 for Christmas so I have at least +1 to my name after finishing it this year! I'll set up my backloggery soon

I'm definitely in. Got far too many games that need finishing!

Already pre-ordered Resident Evil Origins Collection so will start on -1.

Will tally up how many games I have on backlog when I have more time (gotta be 50+ though).

Another rule I have for myself is I won't start any new games that I have in my backlog until I finish the ones I've started.

Hikami

Bought:
Summon Night 5

Beaten:
Until Dawn
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
Sword Art Online: Lost Song

Current Score: 3

Planned on tackling some of my PS3 backlog next but I couldn't find my PS3's power cord so I had to order a new one.. Bought SN5 to keep me busy for now.

gogosox82

I'm in. Let's do this!

Bought:
Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen (PC)
Transistor (PS4)
Dust: An Elysian Tale (PS4)
Bastion (PS4)

Beaten:
Life is Strange Episode 3

Score:

Currently Playing:
The Witcher 3 (PS4)
Batman: Arkham City (PC)
Undertale (PC)
Assassins Creed: Syndicate (PS4)
Life is Strange (PS4)

ghibli99

Have fun everyone! After 4 years of doing this, I'm changing my ways. I found that I spent far too much time finding that balance between playing and buying. I've resolved to just buy and play whatever without tracking anything but what I play/finish. So far, my spending habits haven't changed, but it keeps me focused on what I'm playing vs. feeling guilty about what I'm buying. LOL Perhaps a regression in terms of resolutions for this year, but that's OK. :)

gaiages

Banned
Have fun everyone! After 4 years of doing this, I'm changing my ways. I found that I spent far too much time finding that balance between playing and buying. I've resolved to just buy and play whatever without tracking anything but what I play/finish. So far, my spending habits haven't changed, but it keeps me focused on what I'm playing vs. feeling guilty about what I'm buying. LOL Perhaps a regression in terms of resolutions for this year, but that's OK. :)

Hey, I certainly understand where you're coming from! Sometimes when I do backlog stuff I realize I'm forgoing actually having fun with my video games to make sure I reach some arbitrary goals... and that kinda ruins the point in playing video games in the first place, ya know? The most important thing to do is have fun, no matter what way you're doing it! :D So cheers to you :3

Neat idea.

Brought in Jan:

Beaten in Jan:
Bloodborne | PS4 | 2015

Currently Playing:
Bloodborne | PS4 | 2015
Rise of the Tomb Raider | X1 | 2015
Yoshi's Wooly World | Wii U | 2015
Forza Horizon 2 | X1 | 2014
Destiny | PS4 | 2015
Saints Row Re-elected | PS4 | 2015

I'm jumping around...

I really want to join in this year. Just need to stop playing f2p games. The last three games I've played, Devilian, Warframe, and LoL. Homeworld comes out this month, might be a good place to start.

The first post is now up-to-date with new figures and statistics. I removed user "coolbrys" since he submitted an empty form (you are welcome to fill in the form again).

StuffRuff

I'm in! I have a disgustingly long backlog to go through thanks to multiple humble bundles and what I can only assume is a mild game buying addiction lol

I'm going to start with a blank slate!

Beaten: 0
Total Score: 0

Bought in January:
Nothing so far

Beaten in January:
Nothing so far

Currently playing:
Fallout 4 (PS4)
Witcher 3 (PS4)
Pillars of Eternity (PC)
Dirt Rally (PC)

AcridMeat

Banned
I really want to join in this year. Just need to stop playing f2p games. The last three games I've played, Devilian, Warframe, and LoL. Homeworld comes out this month, might be a good place to start.
My three most played games this year are LoL, Rocket League and Tabletop Simulator. I'm still doing this haha.

Actually wanted to ask, I've been playing Rocket League regularly since release, do I add that to this year's list? Same goes for League of Legends.

Next update I need to remember to add Tabletop Simulator actually, that's been well worth the $10 from the Steam sale.

edit: Well since no new post I'll just edit in my update with Tabletop. After tonight I feel very satisfied with it and I'm definitely going to keep playing it in the near future, well worth the 9.99.

Beaten in 2016: 3
Grow Home
Tabletop Simulator

EDF Insect Armageddon

Net in 2016: +3

dougalism

Neo Member
My backlog has spiraled out of control so hopefully this'll help me reign it in slightly and reduce it to below 600.

My Backloggery

Bought in 2016:

Finished in 2016:
1. Driveclub (PS4) - 7/1
2. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC (PSP) - 20/1
3. Life is Strange (PS4) - 23/1
4. Shadows of the Damned (PS3) - 27/1
5. Asura's Warth (PS3) - 2/2
6. Fallout 3: The Pit - 4/3
7. Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage - 5/3
8. Fallout 3 : Point Lookout - 5/3
9. Fallout 3 : Mothership Zeta - 6/3
10. Fallout 3 - 7/3
11. Fallout 3 : Broken Steel - 8/3
12. ICO - 15/3
13. God of War: Chains of Olympus - 27/3
14. Dynamite Deka - 27/3
15. Braid - 27/3
16. God of War: Ghost of Sparta - 28/3
17. Split/Second - 19/4
18. The House of the Dead III - 21/4
19. Ducktales: Remastered - 25/4
20. Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time - 7/5
21. Echochrome - 20/5
22. Assassin's Creed : Liberation - 22/5
23. Don't Die Dateless, Dummy! - 25/5
24. Fragment's Note - 26/5
25. Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble - 30/5
26. Driving Emotion Type S - 31/5
27. Hack //GU// Vol 2: Reminisce - 11/6
28..Hack //GU// Vol 3: Redemption - 27/6
29. Game of Thrones - 28/6
30. Everybody's Gone to The Rapture - 30/6
31. Tales of Legendia - 20/7
32. Everybody's Tennis - 12/8
33. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile - 19/8
34: MonsterBag - 21/8
35: Nidhogg - 10/9
36: Thomas Was Alone: Benjamin's Flight - 10/9
37: Metal Slug 3 - 11/9
38. Guilty Gear - 12/9
39. Mr Driller - 12/9
40. The Saboteur - 28/9
41. Street Fighter Alpha - 28/9
42. Sumioni: Demon Arts - 29/9
43. Street Fighter Alpha 3 - 29/9
44. Victory Boxing: Champion Edition - 1/10
45. Beyond: Two Souls - 9/10
46. NBA Jam Extreme - 10/10
47. Short Peace: Ranko Tsukigimes Longest Day - 11/10
48. The Getaway: Black Monday - 13/10
49. Saints Row IV: Re-Elected Edition - 30/10
50. Saints Row IV: Enter the Dominatrix - 31/10
51. Saints Row IV: How the Saints save Christmas - 1/11
52. Ridge Racer - 3/11
53. Tales from the Borderlands - 7/11
54. Hatoful Boyfriend - 10/11
55. Yakuza 5 - 14/12
56. Doodle Devil - 14/12
57. Bioshock 2 - Minervas Den - 16/12
58. Actual Sunlight - 21/12
59. Vib-Ribbon - 22/12
60. BioShock 2: Protector Trials - 24/12
61. Ridge Racer - 30/12
62. Hitman: Absolution - Sniper Challenge - 30/12
63. Smuggler's Run - 31/12
64. Retro/Grade - 31/12

Total Score: +64

This is my first year trying this. I bought way too many 3ds games at the tail end of 2015.

Total Score: 1

Bought in January:
Nothing so far

Beaten in January:
Mario Kart 7

Currently Playing:
Legend of Zelda (NES/3DS)
Attack of the Friday Monsters (3DS)
SteamWorld Heist (3DS)
Pokemon Picross (3DS)
Yoshi's Island (GBA/WiiU)
Pikmin 3 (WiiU)
Demon Souls (PS3)
Etc.

Merkunt

I have already sinned;

Games Bought:

PSX:

Puyo Puyo Sun
Tear Ring Saga
Wizardry Llylgamyn Saga

NDS:

Chrono Trigger

GBA:

Steel Empire

Games completed:

None so far

Currently playing:

Devil May Cry (PS2)
Persona Q (3DS)
SMT: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (3DS)

Dropped games:

Metal Max Returns

AcridMeat

Banned
First negative post for me, gave into Dragon's Dogma PC hype.

Beaten in 2016: 3
Grow Home
Tabletop Simulator

EDF Insect Armageddon

Bought in 2016: 1
Dragon's Dogma

Playing:
Dragon's Dogma
Dark Souls 2
Cradle
Lisa
KOTOR 2

Net in 2016: +2

marcincz

Today I had a liitle time and modified my list of games on backloggery side, finally.
Half of the month behind us, so here is my update. It looks bad, because I beat 3 PS plus games.

My backloggery

Bought: 4
1. The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS) - 02/01/2016
2. The Sly Trilogy (PSV) - 09/01/2016
3. Professor Layton and the Spectre's Call (NDS) - 13/01/2016
4. Grim Fandango Remastered (PS4) - 16/01/2016 * PS+
5. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (PS4) - 16/01/2016

Beat: 1
1. Lumines (PSV) - 02/01/2016
2. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (PS3) - 07/01/2016 * PS+
3. Kick & Fennick (PSV) - 10/01/2016 * PS+
4. Hotline Miami (PSV) - 15/01/2016 * PS+