• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 games. 1 Year. 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OT

Just finish up Wolfenstien The Old Blood. If you like The New Order then this is right up your ally. They do not do much to improve on this game play wise but the action/ stealth parts are done very good. Makes me excited to see what else this developer can do with the series.

Bowlie

Banned
Game #04 - Pokémon Picross [3DS] (50 hours, finished in January 15)
iLAEe3A.png

My only experience with picross games, which I love to death, was from mobile games. So when I heard that I could have a picross game on my 3DS, and it's Pokémon themed, I immediately jumped on it.
It's an easy, cute but unfortunately free-to-play game. You spend energy to play maps, and unlock the next "route", which has other pokémons, and that energy is only recharged through real time or daily challenges. Once I realized I had to play daily challenges for +10 days to unlock a single route, before getting angry with this approach, and knowing that I would play it for a long time, I bought $20 dollars of energy that was almost completely gone by the time I beat the game.
Addicting, I played Pokémon Picross at every small free time for the past weeks, and managed to beat all normal stages, and unlock both 80x80 puzzles. It's an amazing game if you don't care about the f2p part.

Game #05 - SteamWorld Heist [3DS] (17 hours, finished in January 13)
H7zLOXH.png

See, a SteamWorld game but tactical, what?! Yup, it's a turn-based shooter, but I got way more a Dig vibe than a FE or a XCOM one. It's not complex like those games; you're mostly fighting robots in small rooms, and controlling not more than four characters at the same time. It isn't unforgiving too, there's no permadeath and I've never failed a stage.

The part that I loved so much, and made me beat the game a second time leveling all characters to level 10, is that there's a looot of variety in it. You could pick that fish guy who's good at melee and give him gloves with stun chance and toy with every enemy, or pick that bomber who fires two shots in the same turn and give her a fucking bazooka to obliterate one of the bosses. Or even equip goggles with critical chance on a sniper and make a bullet ricochet off the walls 5 times before hitting a dude's head. I encourage you to see what all characters can offer.

That said, it's a SteamWorld game. You'll be at home seeing the same themes, humour and art style. If that's why you loved Dig, I think you'll love this one too. (Just know that its strong part is the gameplay. It feels great shooting someone in it)

One advice: don't be afraid of this game tactical approach. The first time I played, I was slowly walking with all my dudes together, afraid that I'd get killed if one of them went in a separate room. By the second time I knew how quick-paced it was, and was blazing through every map spreading them in as many rooms as possible to kill everyone, grab all loot and get off quickly.

Original Post

septicore

Undertale spoilers:
I killed one thing at the very start of the game when I was first getting used to the mechanics and figuring what the hell I had to do. Didn't harm a soul afterwards, besides an accidental one which I reloaded my save for (and the game remembered). So didn't get the Pacifist ending. Tbf though, I straight up killed Flowey at the end anyway...

Wow, I didn't know the game was able to do that, that's some clever programming.

OP

Game 06: D4: Dark Dreams Don’t Die -Season One- (PC) 21/01/16 - 21/01/16 3.8 Hours
It has been a while since I've played a game that was so bizarre and crazy, and yet I totally enjoyed it. I'm totally digging the storyline and I really look forward to a second season because this felt way too short for my liking and ended on a massive cliffhanger.

StingX2

Big update

Sxv3iUb.jpg

Game 2: The Beatles Rock Band [360] (Started and Finished 1/10/16)
On January 10th, 2016 StingX2 killed The Beatles ruining them forever. The songs were locked away in a vault never to be heard again. If you want to hate me forever have a listen

PQ6MxG2.png

Game 3:Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butoden [3DS] (Started and Finished 1/11/16)
This was an ok fighting game, got old fast though. Spritework was pretty good!

tg60qAe.jpg

Game 4:Ori and the Blind Forest [PC] (Started 1/13/16 / Finished 1/15/16)
One of the best games I've played in awhile but I felt cheated the game doesn't let you play your file after you beat it.

HFigtK0.jpg

Game 5:Last Word [PC] (Started 1/17/16 / Finished 1/19/16)
I'm going to refrain from commenting on this in fear of losing my NeoGaf account. I was not a fan.

OG Post

Auctopus

Resident-Evil-HD-Remaster-banner.jpg

Hmm, gonna do Pros & Cons as how I felt about this game is pretty black & white. For reference, I never played Resident Evil on PS1 and this was my first experience with the game.

Pros

- Atmosphere. Holy cow, does this game deliver in atmosphere. I love the fixed camera angles, it makes every other shot look like an oil painting. Yeah, there's a rough texture now and then but it doesn't take away from the experience.
- Detail. Loved the detail in both the environment and the story. Piecing together the story (even though I knew what happened as I've played later REs) was really enjoyable and the puzzling way the mansion was put together is a work of art.
- Content. It feels like a game that warrants multiple play-throughs, I only completed Jill but I will be going back next month to beat Chris.

Cons

- Item Management - The first two hours of this game were absolute hell. I picked up the wrong shit constantly and had a full inventory, wondering around the mansion, running out of ammo and just getting frustrated. Eventually I found item boxes and managed to get the hang of things.
- Cryptic Progression - Now I love puzzle games. I love ambiguous games. Dark Souls is my favourite game of all time and I love the open-endness of it's opening stages where you're just exploring. But in hand with the terrible item management, finding my way through the mansion at the beginning of the game was absolute torture, probably peaking on Jill's return to the mansion after the residence. I just felt like so much of it so ambiguous and based on luck. I read every document, inspected every item and there was still times I was just thinking "What the fuck". Well, I guess that's the point. The mansion is meant to be a mystery but I just really hated some of the 90s limitations in this game.
- Backtracking - Half due to game design, half due to because I needed the fucking key I just left in the item box on the other side of the mansion.

I can see how these issues aren't issues to returning players. The item management is just part of the game and you're so used to exploring the low-res Spencer Mansion, it was a dream to re-discover it in ReMake.

Overall, I actually really liked the game. There's nothing else like it and I'll probably enjoy my second play-through more now I have a better grip on what I'm doing.

Original Post

jiggles

Banned
Archive Post

headerieq1s.jpg

Game 4 - Pony Island [PC] ★★★★
A fantastic experience. I can't go into much detail on why it's so good for fear of spoiling it, but Pony Island achieves what it sets out to do with ruthless precision. There's one moment early on that blew my mind, and when I'd settled into the groove of what it was, it pulls out its showstopper to blow it all over again. I want to tell people about it so much, but I can't bring myself to ruin the best surprise in gaming in at least the past decade. It's cheap, it can run on a potato, and it'll only take a couple of hours to beat. Holy fuck, buy this game immediately.

OT

So for game 8 I completed Gone Home: Console Edition. I have to say that this game was really well done. I loved the thoughts going through my head of where? what? who? why? I also thought the younger sister leaving the notes/ story logs was a really neat way of telling her story and struggle with her parents. Also the other notes and files you find about your parents and yourself.

septicore

OP

Game 07: Victor Vran (PC) 14/01/16 - 22/01/16 21 Hours
An interesting action RPG game that didn't play like a Diablo clone, it felt like an action adventure game with RPG mechanics attached it. Different weapon styles that come with their own set of skills to use, a bunch of different demonic powers to choose from and destiny cards that further enchant your character with stats upgrades. I'm not usually a fan of action RPGs but Victor Vran was pretty fun with my co-op buddy, we both tried to tackle all the challenges the game had to offer but at the end, they started getting harder and impossible to do.

Currently playing:
Shadow Complex: Remastered (PC) 22/01/16

Master Post

ZYa2CKk.png

Game 6: Civilization: Beyond Earth - 6 hours - January 22nd, 2016[/URL]
So a friend bought the Humble Bundle with this in it for me a few days back. I loved Civ 5, so I expected to love the game. In the end, all I really found was a sterile, disappointing experience. I'm bad at them, but 4X games are one of my favorite things to fool around with. So considering that I played Civ 5 for 162 hours, me dropping Beyond Earth in 6 hours is a pretty significant statement. The entire thing just bored me from start to finish. The tech bored me, the ideology stuff bored me, the culture bored me and the aliens bored me. Really, the only worthwhile change I think they made was the tech becoming a web versus the linear tree it once was. I'd consider returning for a great expansion, but I doubt I will.
Should I play Beyond Earth? Don't bother. Play Civ 5 or another 4X game.

ta155

OP

9. Rise of the Tomb Raider

Absolutely fantastic. It looks great, plays really well, love the level design and it was all far more substantial than I anticipated. I hope Uncharted 4 takes a cue from this in terms of the scope of its environments and the options the gameplay mechanics give the player.

That said, I found the storytelling to be pretty run of the mill and the characters mostly cookie cutter nobodies. Lara was also disappointingly mellow and came off as a little one dimensional. Sure her transition into a hardened killer in the first game was a little jarring, but at least it represented character development. Here she's a little dull.

But yeah, overall it's excellent and by far the best Xbox One exclusive I've played so far.

tav7623

tumblr_o21rxfDcdw1sos833o1_400.jpg

3. Battlefield Hardline (Finished 1/22/16, playtime 10hrs 35 mins) - Earlier this week EA gave Xbox Live Gold members a week trial of their EA Access program and ended up taking advantage of it by playing through this game. Overall I felt the game was okay as it had a semi decent story/campaign (really liked the cast, though there were a few bits that felt a bit off), but other than that (and some obvious minor differences) it basically felt like just any other battlefield game to me. ★★★

Cade

1. Odallus: The Dark Call - 4/5 | A love letter to Castlevania, but with modern quality-of-life improvements. Very fun, albeit a bit too heavy on finding all the secrets just to make the difficulty reasonable.
  2. Undertale - 5/5 | A masterpiece in messing with your expectations and just being fun and charming, I went into Undertale expecting to feel mediocre about it at best, especially after the Internet Hype Machine. But it's good, guys. It's good.
  3. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth - 3/5 | I like roguelikes, but TBOI has never really clicked with me. Rebirth is a much, much, much better game than vanilla though, and I liked it enough to keep going until I got the first ending, at least. Will revisit in the future probably, as there's so much depth here, but I just don't find the actual core gameplay that fun.
  4. Far Cry 4 - 4/5 | Just stop putting stories in these, guys. And stop with the unskippable cutscenes. Because your core gameplay loop is fun as hell, and your story is pointless. FC4 is an improvement in pretty much every way over Far Cry 3, which I enjoyed quite a bit. Didn't touch the multiplayer, and I've yet to play co-op, but FC4 is just a big open world with a bunch of stuff to do.
  5. Dead Space - 4/5 | An absolute blast to play and one of my favorite settings ever, Dead Space builds upon its inspirations and lasts just enough time to leave an impression without overstaying its welcome. The variety in weapons made encounters fresh, combined with the light RPG elements of weapon and suit upgrading. The turret sections were bizarre, but not overly annoying.
  6. Firewatch - 4/5 | A beautiful game with excellent writing, believable and likable characters and a great plot. Overall, it's not a very interactive game, and it's not maybe the most thrilling climax, but Firewatch achieves exactly what it sets out to do... and does it beautifully.
  7. Lux Delux - 3/5 | A fun little Risk clone. Played multiple rounds per map, won a game on each of the default maps. Wish I knew some people who played it online, as it'd be fun to get some games going.
  8. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - 4/5 | This one's taken me some time to finish up, as I started it a long time ago, but I finally played through the last two thirds of the game and ended up liking it quite a bit. I've since moved on to The Witcher 3 and found that thankfully all of my complaints have been answered. The Witcher 2's story and characters elevate a mediocre combat system and some absolutely mind-bogglingly janky sections to end up being a great game.
  9. Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows - 4/5 | I loved the original campaign, and Plague of Shadows is just as good if not better. It starts out a lot more difficult while you get the hang of the weird bomb jumping, and the changes and different bosses added as well as the new hub areas and story elements were great. Plus, Mona is best girl. Can't wait for King Knight and Specter Knight's campaigns.
  10. The Division - 4/5 | If you want a co-op loot shooter, this is the game for you. It's all about numbers, having your friends' backs, and awesome story missions. Unfortunately, the side content is a little bit lacking and I am missing the lack of structured PvP. Fortunately, I've barely scratched the surface of gear optimizing and it looks like there's a ton of content on the way. In addition, the Dark Zone is amazing. It's so tense and infuriating and rewarding. A great game and I'm in for the long haul (just like Destiny).
  11. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 - 3/5 | I just don't think I'm ever gonna be into Tekken. This is the full package, tons of options, characters, stages.. but it just doesn't work for me. Played through the arcade mode a bit and some other stuff. Just give me a new Soul Calibur, Namco.
  12. Renowned Explorers: International Society - 4/5 | If you like FTL, you'll like REIS, especially if you tend more towards Indiana Jones than Star Wars (Neither game is like either, I just wanted to make that comparison). It's also got a lot more smart planning and tactical choices, and a lot less "Pick the blue option to win/ use memorization and trial and error, whoops giant spiders killed you because random". The characters are varied, the expeditions are cool, and the battle system is enthralling. One of my favorite rogue-lites yet.
  13. Stikbold! - 3/5 | The campaign here was actually pretty meaty, with some neat boss battles and fun levels. This game is built for multiplayer with your friends though, and I'm eager to dive into some of that at some point. The core mechanics are pretty good, and the arenas are varied enough to keep it fresh.
  14. Amplitude - 3/5 | Rhythm games aren't always my thing, but Amplitude's great soundtrack and genuinely fun track-switching gameplay elevate it above being just a throwaway rhythm game. It's engaging, difficult, and while the story beats basically equate to a single line of dialogue as you start each track, the game as a whole is a sleek, polished package.
  15. Street Fighter V - 4/5 | Everyone knows the troubles this game has: lack of content, rushed launch, drip-feed content post-launch. I'm not gonna dwell on it. The core gameplay here is something SFIV could never get right for me: fun. It's in a lot of ways to me an SF3 sequel, and the characters added in DLC seem to keep that trend going. The unique V-Skill and V-Trigger systems add some much-needed variety, and the changes to existing characters really make the series feel fresh. Yes, the single-player content barely exists, which will hopefully change in June, but I'm excited to see what this game looks like when, you know, the whole game is out. *cough*
  16. Shutshimi - 3/5 | A fun, rapid-paced, 2D sidescrolling roguelite shooter that's more Warioware than Gradius. The powerups make for unique runs, the shop mechanic is smart, and the core gameplay loop is fun enough to be worth a playthrough for anyone. I "beat" it on my second run, though, so it's not very difficult. Definitely something I'll replay over the years though, as it's light and short.
  17. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - 5/5 | Not much can be said about The Witcher 3 that hasn't already been discussed to death. It's a huge, beautiful, varied game, with brilliant writing and a cast of incredibly deep characters. My own thoughts on it go like this: They finally made a game after two prototypes. I liked The Witcher 2, and I could tolerate The Witcher enough to finish it, but only during The Witcher 3 did I actually at any point want more of the gameplay. It's that good. The combat system finally feels more like an actual fight and less like swinging rapidly and hoping for the best. The quality-of-life improvements in every area change the chore-like qualities of the downtime of the other games. The giant world feels lived-in and fresh, and the actual plot is quite good.
    The only gripe I have is that the ending lasts for roughly four to eight hours of preparation. Still, what a game. I'll play Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine soon, after I finish up some other addictions.
  18. Dark Souls III - 5/5 | Dark Souls fans can be finicky. This, though, was the perfect Dark Souls ending to me. It also showed even more how Dark Souls II didn't do sequel stuff right, despite being a good game in its own right. Dark Souls III does fanservice lore connections right, with outright continuations of areas and characters instead of winky wink nudge nudge MAYBE THIS IS THE SAME AREA. The bosses are well-designed, the areas are beautiful and the faster combat really feels like they took lesssons from all previous games, including Bloodborne. I can't wait for the DLC.
  19. OutDrive - 1/5 | Not really a game. Great aesthetics and soundtrack, but the driving is shit and there's no real end. I did all the "content".
  20. NOT A HERO - 3/5 | Max Payne Hotline Miami in 2D. It's pretty great; it's fun, it's fast, and it's engaging. The writing is bottom-tier, awful, wannabe funny/edgy/random garbage, but the gameplay more than makes up for it. A couple missions are too trial-and-error for me, but the rest of it is fun and the unique characters all play very different.
  21. Shadow Warrior - 3/5 | Another game with truly atrocious writing, but a lot of fun underneath. The levels are varied, the movement is fantastic, and the gunplay is amazing. The shotgun in particular is one of my favorite weapons in all gaming, especially combined with the dash. I don't particularly care for the sword mechanics, and a couple levels drag on a bit, not to mention the bosses are pretty boring standard fare and don't really fit. Still, I'm definitely in for the sequel.
  22. Bayonetta - 4/5 | Not a HUGE fan of character action games, but Bayonetta really hits the things I like in them: a cool parry/dodge mechanic, cool bosses, and neat levels. It's got a handful of problems (rocket, motorcycle levels), and I skipped every cutscene *cough* but it's an absolute blast to play. I can't wait to play Bayonetta 2, cause it looks like more of the same. Also, I played the really bad PS3 port, so I can imagine the Wii U and 360 versions of Bayo 1 are even better.
  23. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - 5/5 | This isn't gonna be for everyone, even diehard Uncharted fans. But Uncharted 4 was exactly what I wanted out of the last Uncharted game (by Naughty Dog, so the last one for me). A slower, more grounded Uncharted with focus on the relationships of the characters you've come to know across the prior games. The gameplay is also vastly improved, with the new climbing mechanics and stealth systems making the game open up a lot more to different approaches. I hope the single-player DLC is as good as the main game, and I'll be happy to say goodbye to one of my favorite series.
  24. Mushroom 11 - 3/5 | I feel like the most important thing in a puzzle game is to balance satisfaction and frustration, and Mushroom 11 almost nails that ratio. It's a great core gameplay loop of erasing yourself to mash yourself into tiny holes and climb stuff and fight gross bosses. Very fun.
  25. Cat Girl Without Salad: Amuse Bouche - 1/5 | Absolutely atrocious. There was not a single good thing about this aside from the main concept. But it's not even pulled off well.
  26. Persona 4: Golden - 5/5 | Not gonna say anything that hasn't been said before, but this game is a delight. Even if the end is a little silly and the requirements for true ending are a little obtuse. It's just worth playing if anything about it appeals to you at all.
  27. Overwatch - 5/5 | If every game could be as effortlessly fun, gaming would be in a lot better place. It's got its issues, but with frequent patches and content updates, I'm pretty sure I'll be playing Overwatch for years and years to come.
  28. Blazing Star - 3/5 | I'm not usually one for shmups, but this one was simple and fun. Cool bosses, neat 3D effects.
  29. Hand of Fate - 3/5 | I liked this quite a bit until the ending parts, which were just incredibly annoying and unfun. Still, as a semi-roguelike, I found it very fun, and the setting and mechanics were decent. If the combat was a little better, and the end boss not so bad, I would've bumped this up to a four easily. Hoping Hand of Fate 2 has all that I wanted the first game to be.
  30. God of War: Ghost of Sparta - 3/5 | My first God of War, bizarrely. I liked it a fair amount, though it did mostly amount to using the fire to power up your spin move, repeated endlessly. Cool setting, though, and I'm currently playing through 3 and Ascension (And Chains of Olympus).
  31. Refunct - 3/5 | Short (very short) and sweet. Captain Toad meets Mirror's Edge. If they took the core movement mechanics and puzzle mechanics and made a longer game, I'd be in day one. As is, a good way to pass a short amount of time in bliss. Good music.
  32. Doom (2016) - 5/5 | I really had no expectations for this before I played the demo. After I played the demo, it made me realize the full game would probably be in my contender for GOTY. And it was. What an absolute thrill ride of rip and tear, with new mechanics and guns constantly thrown at you, with incredible music and pretty good boss fights. Double jump super shotgun to glory kill will never be boring. Just wish the DLC wasn't only for multiplayer.
  33. Tharsis - 3/5 | A fun enough (albeit short) dice-based space game where your mistakes have dire consequences. I love space madness and dice, but I wish this game was a little more fleshed out.
  34. Killer is Dead - 3/5 | Surprisingly fun and stylish action game. The story is apparently nonsense, and the combat isn't *that* deep, but it's definitely worth the generally-small asking price. Shooting and slicing is great fun and it doesn't overstay its welcome.
  35. Grapple - 3/5 | You're a little sticky ball and you grapple stuff in space. If you, like me, are devastated at the general loss of 3D platformers, you should give Grapple a try. It's more of a swinging game than a platformer, but the mechanics on display and smart level design coupled with the tight core gameplay make this one not to miss.
  36. Freedom Planet - 1/5 | Yikes. A devastatingly bland Sonic clone with horrible boss fights and terrible VA/writing. I'm no huge fan of classic Sonic, but this was just unenjoyable on all fronts.
  37. Clustertruck - 4/5 | Now this is a fun one. I'd kept it on my radar since its reveal and was pleasantly surprised to see it live up to its potential. The gameplay is tight, the levels are smart and well-thought-out, and the unlockable abilities and utility powers keep the game surprising you throughout. The end boss was a little janky (now patched) and some of the levels feel a bit samey, but Clustertruck is definitely worth anyone's time who likes momentum and platforming. Additionally, the holiday updates (free!) are pretty fun.
  38. Mother Russia Bleed - 2/5 | Not ordinarily a huge fan of beat-em-ups, and Mother Russia Bleeds has a large amount of flaws, but I like the amount of interactable objects and the different characters. Plus you can decapitate a guy and throw his head at another enemy. If it wasn't for the absolutely atrocious boss fights (seriously, they are bad), this could have been a lot better.
  39. Sonic Colors - 3/5 | Wow, this was a lot better than I expected. As someone who liked Generations a lot, I thought it was time to go back and play this, and I liked pretty much all of it outside of the Wisp-based sections (which felt gimmicky at best and janky at worst). The speed and platforming on display is fantastic, though.
  40. A Story About My Uncle - 3/5 | The story drags on and on and on and is unskippable and totally unnecessary, but the core swinging gameplay here is a lot of fun and the level design is pretty and interesting. Also, the title is bad. Like... really bad.
  41. Nancy Drew: Tomb of the Lost Queen - 2/5 | If you've played one Nancy Drew game, you've pretty much played them all. The story in this one was very weird and disjointed feeling, and a lot of the puzzles felt almost entirely luck/trial-and-error based, but casual adventure fans could do a lot worse.
  42. Spaera - 2/5 | Puzzle Bobble/Bust-a-Move clone with horribly unbalanced powers for different characters. Overall, pretty janky and not really worth playing if you've got access to the real thing.
  43. Assault Android Cactus - 3/5 | Difficult, fast, and truly rewarding skill, Assault Android Cactus managed to keep me interested and excited throughout the whole campaign, despite being in a genre I absolutely cannot stand. The new characters and their unique movesets kept me wanting to play just one more level, and though the final boss(es) tested the limits of my patience, I'm happy I finished it. Pretty fun.
  44. The Banner Saga - 4/5 | Wow, this one surprised me. I expected little more than a short Fire Emblem clone with a decent story and pretty art, but everything about this game shines. The story is good, the music is great, the art is fantastic and the gameplay is fun and engaging. The only real gripes I had with it were how quick you could lose your best fighters by answering wrong in story situations and how badly you could utterly destroy your chances of winning since there's no way to grind and once you hit the end boss, you've got what you've got. I beat it though and can't wait for the sequel.
  45. Resident Evil: Revelations - 3/5 | A fun enough side story in the Resident Evil franchise, RE:R is almost devoid of scares and the shooting feels just weird enough to not be fully satisfying, but for a port of a 3DS game it holds up well enough. I like the cast of characters and the settings. Worth it for lite-horror fans and RE fans alike.
  46. Oxenfree - 3/5 | With probably the best dialogue system in a Telltale-like, and an engaging and moving story that really makes you feel your choices, Oxenfree is an interesting ghost story, a coming of age story, and at points almost a horror story. The gameplay is pretty simple, but the exploration and dialogue choices, as well as the different events that can occur, make Oxenfree feel like you really made an impact on these character's lives.
  47. Saint's Row IV - 3/5 | While the superpowers make the vehicles utterly useless, they also make the gameplay more immediately appealing than SR3. While I never felt in any danger, and the mech sections are awful, SRIV is a fun world to run around and blow stuff up in with insane super powers and crazy guns. The story is hit-or-miss but the soundtrack is great.
  48. HITMAN - 4/5 | This one surprised me with its depth and quality, especially since I didn't expect much after Absolution or the reveal that the game was going to be episodic. Boy, was I (and many others) wrong. The level design is absolutely stellar, with so much to do in each level, tons of creative ways to kill your targets, and the Elusive Targets might be the most innovative (and sometimes frustrating) feature of the year. Absolutely recommended to stealth fans who don't mind a little repetition.
  49. Final Fantasy XV - 5/5 | Wow. I've been no big fan of FF in the past, only really putting in time to FF7 and FFX, only finishing the former. The battle system in XV turned me off in initial reveals, and the Platinum Demo made me lose the small remaining amounts of interest I had. It felt bad, was ugly, and the story seemed absolutely stupid. But when I heard about the Judgment Disc demo, I thought, I'll give it one more shot. And it blew me away. The car, the gameplay, the camraderie. I preordered immediately after. This game is the real deal. The combat is fantastic, the hunts are varied, the amount of optional content is staggering. The music is the absolute best of the year. The story is... janky and disjointed, told in part in two supplemental pieces of media it would be easy to miss... but fantastic. I fell in love with the characters and the world, their hardships and triumphs, their goals and desires clashing with their destinies. I didn't think I'd even play XV for years, but it turned out to be my game of the year. It take a decade to come out, changed in dozens of ways, and is a strange and ambitious game. A game that seems at parts to have identity crises, that sometimes seems padded while at others totally rushed. But a masterpiece nonetheless.
  50. Dangerous Golf - 3/5 | Burnout Crash Mode + Golf with Tony Hawk style bonus objectives. It's fun, packed with content, and surprisingly visually stunning. Give it a shot, because breaking stuff never gets old, and some of the level design is quite clever.
  51. Superhot - 4/5 | This, along with Doom, probably has my favorite total gameplay package of the year. It's immediately satisfying, visually thrilling, and while it's a puzzle shooter about bullet time, it still feels fast as hell and the one shot, one kill design means you've always got to stay on your toes. Few things in games feel as good as emptying a magazine of bullets in slow motion, throwing your spent gun at a guy's face, catching his katana and immediately throwing it through another red polygonal foe. The high price tag and mediocre "story" make this a hard sell to some, but the gameplay is fantastic. Hopefully they keep it supported with updates and DLC.
  52. Grow Up - 3/5 | As one of the people who loved Grow Home, this was in a lot of ways a disappointment. The amount of powers and the fact that you could keep growing plants meant a lot of the level design went to waste and you didn't have to climb as much. The bigger world mostly means you just spend your time traveling. But if you liked Grow Home, you'll find something to like here. B.U.D. is just as unique to control and as charming, the world is pretty, and the music soothing. But the amount of things to do ultimately ends up feeling like Ubisoft's influence is slowly creeping its way in. Would I play a third Grow game? Yes. But I'd hope it was more like the first.

Link to OP: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=190927712&postcount=33

gLS2LQB.png

Game 8: Tomb Raider 2013 (PC)
Finished 1/23/2016 (1 pt, 73% - note: RTTP playthrough)
Time to complete: 11 hours as per Steam

I love Tomb Raider 2013.

In fact, I love it so much I owned three different copies - the OG PS3 retail version, the free PS Plus version, and the PS4 definitive edition. Then I saw the PC version on sale for the equivalent of USD 2.00, figured I'd buy it to get hype for Rise of the Tomb Raider's PC release, and played through it again... was not disappointed.

The PC version looks absolutely fantastic, of course. That said, the more I play TR2013, the more its little annoyances come to the fore - some pacing issues, an abundance of small crevices and tight spaces that cripple your walking speed, an anticlimactic final boss. But overall, it's still an amazing game that both caters to the Uncharted fanbase while bringing in many fresh ideas of its own.

QgFwMgb.png

Game 9: Soul Gambler (PC)
Finished 1/23/2016 (3 PTs, 20/24 achievements)
Time to complete: 76 minutes as per Steam

Although it may look like a point and click adventure, Soul Gambler is actually a simple visual novel with a common premise - what would you do if you could trade your soul for whatever you wanted?

I'm usually all in on this sort of thing, but the general plot is really loopy. Also, a lot of the choices you make tend to double back onto the same route, Telltale-style... there are plenty of them, which is nice, and interactions are also influenced by your character's chosen base statistics (charisma, physical ability, intelligence, etc.)

All in all, a decent way to spend an hour or two if you can get it for cheap (like a dollar).

Game 8 - Lifeline - 3 days, but really about an hour! iPhone

Had heard about this before and decided to get it when it was the free App of the week - glad I did. Premise is that you're in contact with a downed astronaut on a moon who needs your help deciding what to do. The catch is that he will sometimes be busy - for example, sleeping - so you won't hear anything from him for a few hours. Gets pretty gripping at the end but I would have preferred more puzzles that required you to research stuff outside the game - there's one at the start. Got a good ending in first try as well!

Original Post

I had a very, very productive (read: Unproductive) day today.

hqdefault.jpg

Xenoblade Chronicles X- 89 hours 1/23/16

Damn this game is good. If you have ever wanted an RPG that plays like an MMO, here you go. One of the most beautiful looking WiiU titles around, with some of the most amazing (very subjective, it's like it or hate it) music I have heard in the past year or so. I would say only Bloodborne and Undertale beat it out for best OST of last year. The story is decent, especially if you don't go in expecting a magnum opus for writing. Some fun twists along the way as well. The sidequests are without a doubt some of the most well fleshed out bits in the game; you will be surprised at the storytelling and world building you will find in them. It's also one of the first RPG's I've played in a while where your choices in dialogue (mostly within the side quests) can have pretty significant effects.

The amount of content is astounding as well. But it is content that hooks you. I have given up countless Open World games after getting bored with them, yet this is one I kept coming back to.​

scott-pilgrim-the-game.jpeg

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World - 7 hours 1/23/2016
Based on one of my favorite graphic novels, and with FANTASTIC music by Anamanaguchi, this has quickly become one of my go to beat-em-ups. A fun mix of moves, with fairly in-depth lite RPG elements leads to a substantial bit of replayability. It was a blast to play with my best friend and roomate, and I highly recommend it. I fully intend on going for platinum on it as well.​

header.png

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes - 10 1/2 hours 1/23/16
My roommate, best friend, and I first booted the game about a month ago, and we were hooked immediately. We played for a good 5 hours, switching off and having a blast. Made it all the way to tier 6 before we hit a roadblock. So we shelved it.

Came back tonight and blasted through the rest, even the exotic bombs, with ease. This is a great party game to play with 3-5 people. I highly recommend this game as well.​

latest

Mario vs Donkey Kong: Mini Land Mayhem - 6 hours 1/23/16
It was a busy day for me, but I had some down time after finishing Xenoblade and before my friend came over, so I found an old game I never quite finished. This is a cute, fun Mario based puzzle game with interesting mechanics. It is a little on the easier side, never mixing it up too much in the main game, but there are also challenging expert/special missions and a 'plus' mode upon beating the game, wherein you have to deal with different minis to finish the levels. Charming and definitely worth a look.​

iKx987B.png

Game 10: Digital: A Love Story (PC)
Finished 1/23/2016 (1pt)
Time to complete: Around 3 hours

Since I've been planning to (finally) get around to playing Christine Love's more recent Steam output (Analogue: A Hate Story and Hate Plus), I figured I'd start with D:ALS. It's freeware, nothing to lose!

Unfortunately, I did lose... 3 hours of my life. This game just never clicked with me at all, and I just kept waiting and waiting for the point at which it would get good. I guess it's because I didn't grow up with Amigas, and I have zero experience with signing on to a real-life BBS - zero nostalgia there. I found having to constantly refer to a virtual Notepad app to "steal" long distance dial-up to be incredibly tedious.

I really, really hope that the other two games are better.

eZF18Qv.png

Game 04: Shovel Knight
PSV - 8 hours - Beaten 24/01/16 - ★★★★☆
Damn, this game is great. I actually bought it when it came out on Wii U but never finished it for some reason, so bought it again in a recent PSN sale and restarted on Vita, and have now just beaten it with all collectables found. Just a really well made retro platformer in the vein of Mega Man and the like. It never gets too difficult which is something I like, it just stays fun throughout and never gets to the point of being frustrating.
I'll do the (free) DLC campaign at some point soon too.

Main post

Now that that quick distraction is over, back to Dark Souls 2 :p

septicore

OP

Game 08: Shadow Complex: Remastered (PC) 22/01/16 - 23/01/16 5.9 Hours
A great Metroidvania game from 2009 that's been remastered. Almost everything about the game was great but maybe the storyline plot but I don't think that mattered that much IMO. I can see why this was such a fan favorite game back in the days when it was on XBLA and people wanted to see it ported to PC. Really glad the remaster happened and it was free for a limited time.

Currently playing:
Contradiction (PC) 24/01/16

modsbox

Just finished Mega Man (the original NES game) last night. As part of my retro-focused 52 games I plan to beat MM 1-6 but I forgot how insanely difficult this game was. It nearly broke me. Yes, I used the pause trick to beat the yellow devil. No regrets.

Master Post

Megatron

Just finished Mega Man (the original NES game) last night. As part of my retro-focused 52 games I plan to beat MM 1-6 but I forgot how insanely difficult this game was. It nearly broke me. Yes, I used the pause trick to beat the yellow devil. No regrets.

Master Post

Yeah, that game is hard, largely because the controls aren't as tight as they are in other mega man games. You should try the psp remake: powered up some time.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Update: games 5 & 6

Master post

5. Ori and the Blind Forest (15 hours) Probably the first time since Pixar's Up that an intro hit me this hard. After that, when you're done gawking at the insane level of detail in the beautiful world, you can start focusing on the action... because this is not a casual adventure. It's a metroidvania that doesn't allow many mistakes, at least in the beginning when you have little health. It has a very strong focus on platforming, with some sections that'll have to retry a bunch. The great save system removes any frustration possible: you can save whenever you want, as long as you have enough orbs. The game is very generous with them though, so you'll never have to replay much when you die.
There aren't that many surprises in your move and ability set, but the 'dash' is really cool: it allows you to boost off projectiles and enemies in the direction you want. You can throw an enemy's bomb back at him, or use it to get higher up. It even works on ground level, where it's a great tool to move around quickly.
There's also a great orchestral score to go along with this, so Ori pretty much excels in every category. It's a bit disappointing that there's one cardinal metroidvania sin: you can't 100% the game if you left some items in areas you can't return to. Getting a 100% map is easy, but full item completion is a bit trickier. The Definitive Edition coming soon, should fix all this. It'd also add warp rooms, another weird omission. 9/10

6. Undertale (10 hours) I love games that subvert your expectations, and Undertale does that constantly. It breaks the fourth wall all the time, with eccentric and quirky characters. At the same time though, it also has a very strong emotional core. Even though there's a strong comedy element to this game, it still has a lot of heart and manages to sell both sides of the coin perfectly. There are times when you'll love the game for mocking rpg staples, then other times where you get gut-punched by strong story moments. It reminded me of golden age Simpsons in this way, where the barrage of jokes could be mixed up with a sweet 'syrup' moment, but still work. The characters are very unique and interesting, and they all behave differently depending on the path you take.
Gameplay-wise, Undertale is also refreshing: it feels like you've been through an epic 60+ hour rpg, when it only took you 7 hours. The game achieves a lot in very little time, and trims all of the usual fat found in rpg's. And if you still want more, you can replay the game using a different approach (by killing or sparing enemies).
I was surprised by how fun the different battles were, especially if you choose to talk your way out. The light puzzle element, mixed with the bullet hell dodging, makes the battles fun all the way through. Game has a very low encounter rate, so you won't even see enemies more than 3 times. And it has an absolutely stellar soundtrack, that can't be stressed enough. The best moments in the game all have a memorable track to go with it. All in all it's by far the most remarkable and unique game this year. 9,5/10

6/52

Malyse

game04_by_fake_magical_girl-d9xcdvp.gif

Time: 10:23 hours
Score: Nintendo, please remake this game.
Thoughts: I got lost. A lot. I would love a Zero Mission version of Metroid II. Plus a bit more plot like they did with ZM. It's a good game, but god I could have used a map.

game05_by_fake_magical_girl-d9xcdv9.gif

Time: 0:55 hours (whaaaa)
Score: I thought this took much longer than it did
Thoughts: This is what would happen if someone made an NES game with modern sensibilities. I like it.

Master List

Zia

I don't know that I play enough games to really give this a serious go, but I plan on replaying a bunch of stuff this year so, hey, maybe I'll do it.

Game 1: Mushihimesama (Steam) - 30 minutes

Facerolled through Original with a couple continues. My first time ever playing Mushihimesama so I think I'll be able to 1CC it in a few attempts.

Oreoleo

The List!
Full Impressions

6. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - 79 Hours
sJBUpL6.jpg

I suppose I should preface all this by saying that even though I've played all the numbered Metal Gear Solid games, it's always been a series I've played for the gameplay rather than the lore and the story. I didn't like 2 very much and 4 is basically irredeemable in my eyes, but 1 and 3 are very complete and cohesive experiences. So the short version on my opinion of 5 is: I don't really mind that the narrative has been truncated, because the gameplay is the best the franchise has ever seen. So much so that I'm inclined to call this the best MGS game, though 3 certainly gives it a run for its money. Previous MGS games, especially 1 and 2, operated on a kind of binary system. You did everything in stealth, and if you messed that up you were pretty much hosed and had to do it over again. 5's big success is its possibilities with Plan B once Plan A's stealth goes tits up. The overwhelming options provided to the player are nothing short of staggering and it's this bouquet of player choice that more than makes up for its shortcomings. I'd heard enough about the problems of the 2nd half of the game and how it wraps up too quickly from others before I started that I was able to brace for it. But the truth is, saying it "wraps up too quickly" is disingenuous. The final mission comes straight out of left field, with zero ramp up to it indicating the game's about to conclude. It really does feel like there's a huge chunk of narrative missing. But before I reached that point, it seemed easy to view the end of Chapter 1 as the game's real ending, and Chapter 2 as what should have been DLC or some kind of expansion pack. There's already so much content in the game, I find it kind of boggling that there's a Chapter 2 at all. Konami could have easily pulled all that out, released Chapter 1 as MGSV, pulled a Square-Enix and further developed the rest into an MGSV-2. But in spite of all that, the story still managed to get its hooks into me, and I find myself inspired to play through the rest of the series again. Warts and all, MGS5 is nothing short of a success. Kojima should be proud.

Tregard

Soothsayer
The Full List Thus Far

Game 03 - Until Dawn

UntilDawn-Screenshot27-600x338.jpg

Christ alive this game just keeps you stressed out until it's dying breaths. Proper B-Movie feel to it with enough variation between the 3 main game mechanics (QTEs/Decision Trees/Don't Move!) to constantly keep you on your toes. The fact you can't lose this focus means you're constantly having to watch all the horrible events unfold, which is a fantastic meshing of theme and mechanics. The story goes off on some weird tangents but everything does tie together quite nicely, and any underdevelopment of the characters seems almost intentional. I look forward to playing again with friend to see how events unfold differently.

(Sidenote: I saved everyone, hooray for me!)

OP

Game #2: Drakengard 3
Platform: PS3
Time: 40 hours
Worth playing? Definitely. Honestly this game took me by surprise. I never thought this game's dialogue would be filled with vulgar, crude sexist humor. But boy, did i love it! As the story unfolds, however a beautiful tale starts to sprout under all the toilet talk - which was a very nice touch.

Unfortunately the game is plagued by bad graphics, horrendous framerate and some weird glitches. If you can look past that you're in for a fun hack 'n slash that'll leave you stunned in the end. Just be sure to not play it around your kids' ears.

Claiming this post, I guess? I'm new to this whole thing but I need motivation to try and kill my backlog and peer pressure seems to be a good way to go.

Game 1: Luftrausers - 1h30m
"Completed"
Amazing game, amazing soundtrack, wonderful to just give it five minutes of my day when I'm feeling bored. Each different combination of the planes feels viable and even though I'm bashing my face against killing a blimp, it's a ton of fun. I'm not sure there's a "completed" state on this other than unlocking everything, though I can safely say I've had my fill and consider it completed.

Game 2: Marlow Briggs - 2h
Completed
The pacing in this game is fast, too fast. But that said, I'm enjoying what I've played so far. It's dumb in a good way. I really love the AkuAku commentary. It's rough around the edges and pretty, however there are some really awful platforming sections with an uncontrollable camera. For a dollar though, I had a lot of fun.

Game 3: Bloodborne -
Completed
Got this for Christmas with the PS4. This and the Old Hunters dlc, amazing game. It's on the GOTY lists so you don't need me to tell you how great it is. For someone who's into character action games, this is a slower and more methodical version of that, but still fast enough that I'm not falling asleep. Plus I love the weapon and monster designs.

Game 4: Last of Us Remastered - 30m
In Progress
I started this shortly before getting Bloodborne. Again, I know this game is good already, but seeing it in 60fps plus all the other little details they did is very nice.

Game 5: Darksiders - 1h16m
Abandoned
This game doesn't grab me at all. The combat feels really bad and is extremely repetitive, movement feels slow, the story is... Weird? Plus the environments are super boring, at least in the start of the game. There's nothing really here that I enjoy doing.

Game 6: XCOM Enemy Within - 44h
Completed
I played the living hell out of Enemy Unknown but never touched EW. Oh man was that a mistake. The additional units and ability selection, along with the insane amount of configurable options for how your game is played is so much fun. Some of that 44h belongs to EU but I'd say there's a fair split between the two. It's such a good tactical game, scratches that itch so well. Squad Sight Snipers are the best.

Game 7: Rhythm Heaven - 8h
Completed
Man this game is so good. The concept is so simple--do actions in time with the music and cues--and yet every mini-game feels fresh and unique. The art style and interesting design choice of holding the DS sideways makes it super appealing. It's great brain training for keeping beat, and the rhythm toys they give you are great little distractions as well.

Game 8: Tomb Raider (2013) - 41m
Abandoned
Too much murder/torture porn for my liking. Laura painfully grunts and screams at every movement, and the PC version doesn't actually display button prompts for QTEs if you're using MK. Shame, the game looks very pretty and it sounds like a fun game.

Game 9: Bioshock 2: Minerva's Den - 3h
Complete
An excellent piece of DLC that adds entirely new areas and weapons to Bioshock 2's layer. Short and sweet, it doesn't overstay its welcome and has fantastic VA performance for the new characters in the campaign.

Pending
Installed but not launched yet, basically.

Freedom Planet
Just Cause 2
Mass Effect 3

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
OP

header.jpg

Game #7 - Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen
Time: 60+ hours

Great game that becomes amazing with the Dark Arisen content. Im not big on replaying games or doing NG+ usually so im going to call it at finishing the main game and the datk arisen stuff once (even tho the dark arisen island is meant to be replayed). Easily my GOTY so far in 2016.

My 2 games im going to be messing with before XCOM 2 are Warframe and Blade and Soul, so im not sure how to even caregorise "finishing" those

My 2 games im going to be messing with before XCOM 2 are Warframe and Blade and Soul, so im not sure how to even caregorise "finishing" those

Hit up the OT in the community for whichever version you're on! For what it's worth, I'd call finishing it to be whenever you're satisfied with what you've played, since there's really no technical end to the game. Maybe once you've done the raids?

I've played 1829 hours of the PC version. Still my primary time waster.

Original post

bBIfFNBl.jpg

8. You Must Build a Boat (PC, 2015) - 9:39
Completed with Scout rank (whatever that means). 34 monsters recruited.

I'm not quite sure what it was about You Must Build a Boat that made it a more frustrating experience than 10,000,000. All I know is that something about the progression in this thematically similar match-3 puzzler felt rougher than the first game, possibly having to do with the relative lack of dust currency throughout most of the game and the occasionally difficult or luck-based quests (get three triple matches?).

Otherwise, this is basically 10,000,000 but bigger and more intricate. There are more things to upgrade, different ways of mauling monsters, and additional things to collect for new perks. All of this means it'll absolutely scratch the same itch if 10,000,000 was your jam, like it was mine. Just be aware that it's more difficult than the first game, or at least feels like it.

Game 10: Okami HD
The best Zelda game without any elves. Stunning visuals, really cool painting mechanics. Too bad that the game poses no challenge at all. Still, highly recommended even if it's quite the time investement. Played for about 36 hours and skipped a lot of the side quests,

OP

Original post

boWL2Eil.png

9. Lara Croft Go (Android, 2015) - 7:09
Main campaign and The Cave of Fire completed, 7/9 outfits unlocked. No hints used.

It wasn't so long ago that the best Tomb Raider games in recent memory weren't Tomb Raider games at all, but offshoots. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light moved the tomb-raiding adventurer into the isometric realm, offering a unique co-op puzzle action game that felt more true to the Tomb Raider legacy than many actual Tomb Raider games. This was true even after the recent reboot, which was itself a very good game but leaned fully into the Uncharted formula.

So here we are again with Lara Croft Go, another isometric puzzle game from the same studio that brought you Hitman Go. Both games share a well executed conversion of each franchise's basic gameplay into a pocket format, but Lara Croft Go benefits from higher production values. The optional objectives of Hitman Go are gone as well, replaced by a pixel hunt for relics hidden in the background of each level. It's not clear to me that this is an improvement over the optional goals, even if those goals were sometimes less inventive than I'd like, but it does speed up the game somewhat.

Despite using the same basic board-game principles as Hitman Go, Lara Croft Go feels like its own game, thanks to the seamless inclusion of Lara's unique skillset and the emphasis on exploration versus assassination. For the most part, the game succeeds at its aims, though there are two problem areas.

First, as a mobile game, Lara Croft Go is less successful, partially because it's less intelligent at managing sound and music (Hitman Go would automatically figure out if you were listening to music or not, while Lara Croft Go doesn't), but mostly because it's the only game to date that kills my battery dead. I mean this literally--my theory is my Nexus 5's aging battery can't handle the power draw from Lara Croft Go, and so reports 0% charge to the phone even if the battery is nearly fully charged. Only an AC connection revives it, at which point the battery reports a partial charge again.

The second problem area is the add-on campaign Square Enix Montreal created after the game's release and gave away for free, as they did with the extra Hitman Go scenarios. The Cave of Fire introduces some new mechanics and looks just as great as the main campaign, but it suffers in later levels from sudden-death scenarios that require you to retrace most of a section repeatedly just to try again at the part that last killed you. This is a huge momentum killer, and it's not clear to me if technical issues or the necessity of more complex solutions for the tougher puzzles in Cave of Fire are responsible. Either way, nothing in the game made me wish for an Undo Last Move button like Cave of Fire's later levels did.

Otherwise, Lara Croft Go is another fine success from Square Enix Montreal. Maybe next they could make us a fantastic Deus Ex mobile game? Pretty please?

COMPETE:
1. Amplitude (PS4, 2016) - COMPLETED 13th Jan
Great game but I dont like a lot of the music.
2. Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak - COMPLETED 2nd Feb - 14 hours
Good addition to the Homeworld series
3. Minecraft: Ancient Greece Pack - ongoing
Makes the game feel new again, brilliant starting structures to explore, better texture set than the default and some great music
4. Job Simulator - 1.5 hours
Great introduction to room scale interactive VR, wears a little thin after a while
5. Portal Stories VR - 35 mins
Feels like a great tutorial warmup before a full game
6. DOOM - 42 hours
Game of the year for me so far I think
7. Arkham Knight - 20+ hours
Too much car
8. FTL - 70 hours
Finally managed to get to the end of the game, on easy
9. Firewatch - 6 hours?
Best walking simulator yet
10. Inside - 5 hours?
Didn't see it coming, brilliant, makes Limbo look cheery
11. Deus Ex: HD
Disappointing end
12 The Last Guardian
Yey, I never thought this day would come! I took less than 15 hours apparently
13 Don't Starve: Shipwrecked
Played this a crazy amount, it feels like a fresh take on the base game
14. Metal Gear 4
15. Titianfall 2: Just the single player
16. Accounting VR
17. Fallout 4
18. Pacman Championship 2

..theres no way I'm reaching 52.

IN PROGRESS:
Thumper
Dont Starve Together

On hold
Dishonoured 2
Little Big Planet 3
The Witness
Vanishing Realms
GALAK-Z
Crypt of the NecroDancer
The Assembly
Witcher 3
Infamous PS4

BACKLOG:
Ori and the Blind Forest
Day of the Tentacle Remastered
Red Faction: Armageddon
Psychonauts
Mirrors Edge 2
Dr Langeskov, The Tiger and The Terribly Cursed Emerald

septicore

OP

Game 09: Contradiction (PC) 24/01/16 - 24/01/16 5 Hours
This game is quite interesting and fun. A mystery adventure game in FMV, you don't seem many of those anymore. You take on a role of a rather interesting police inspector who's goal is to solve the mysterious death of a girl in a small town. The gameplay is simple but it's the story of the game that draws you in and the acting of Police Inspector Jenks.

My little holiday break is going to be over and back to working once the new week starts. Will be gaming a lot less now because I'll lose all the free time I had. But I believe I did well during my holiday break.

Spyware

4Syh55z.png

Game 05: | Dark Souls | - | January 18 | - | ~180 hours |
Played this for the first time early 2015. Played through it again with my little brother when he was visiting around new years and had a blast since he went in pretty much blind. The week after that I felt the urge to go for 100 % and finally mark this game as completed, so that I did! It's such a frustrating game, especially the online stuff. I have huge lag in PvP so I just die to backstabs from 5 meters away. Finding my SO or brother to co-op with was such a pain. The PvE can also be very frustrating but it's also just so... fair. So much was done right with Dark Souls.

Game 06: | Tomb Raider | - | January 23 | - | ~10 hours |
Laughable story and characters, insufferable cutscenes and dull combat sections. Was surprised how extremely on rail it is. A guided tour. Felt like half the game was "press forward while things around you explode and you magically survive everything even tho you as a player is doing basically nothing, yay!". The *dingdingding*SECRET*dingdingding* "tombs" are a joke. A room with a "puzzle" you solve in a minute and that's it. I'm a bit baffled by it all.
-

Master post

Link to OP: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=190927712

Game 11: Life is Strange (PS4)
Finished 1/23/2016 (Platinum)
Time to complete: Around 18 hours

I managed to resist the call of Life Is Strange all throughout 2015, dodging a purchase in various Steam sales and waiting for the physical version to drop. I just had a feeling that this would be a game that I would like to A) have a copy of in my archive and B) share the experience with friends...

...Right on both counts.

You play as an alienated teen taking freshman year photography in college, who suddenly gains the power to rewind time. However, this game is not a mere rehash of the well-trodden Butterfly Effect storyline, but takes it into strange new directions, several of which hit me like a punch to the gut (the end of episode 4... What the fuck). The plot starts to fray slightly near the end, but overall the game manages to hold itself together till the curtain falls.

The greatest joys in Life is Strange, however, are not found in its plot's broad strokes but rather in its smaller, more human moments - checking out a classmate's photo collection, reading humorous ads off bulletin board, laying in bed listening to some indie singer-songwriter, taking photos of chipmunks eating. For people willing to take it slow (like myself), this game is an absolute treasure.

Game 7. Divide by Sheep (iOS); Playtime: 4-6 hours; 100% complete; completed on 1/24/2016

I saw that this was on sale for $0.99, and I recalled hearing some positive things about the game, so I decided to give it a try. It’s a pretty fun puzzle game. There are some levels I had to sit and think about, but for the most part nothing too hard. The visuals are very cute, as is the basic story. It’s not the most amazing or tricky puzzle game ever, but I enjoyed my time with it.

Original Post

Game 9 - Grim Fandango Restarted - 6 hours, PS4

I'm not sure if this one counts or not, as I completed the original about 15 years ago - some puzzles I remembered, other ones I'd forgotten. Was really interesting to play it again particularly with the Director's Commentary - just seemed like a lot of love went into the game. Still funny after all these years but more poignant than I remembered.

xSL4INx

OP

Tomb Raider (2013) PC - 11 Hours

Really ended up liking this game, the bow is definitely the best weapon imo. There were some slight pacing issues, or just wave after wave of enemies in some parts was fatiguing, but overall it was a great experience all the way through. No part ever really felt like a chore.

Up on deck:

Yo-Kai Watch (3DS)
Bravely Default (3DS)

Intel_89

Main post

Game 07: Chibi Robo Zip-Lash [3DS] (6-8h, didn't collect every single thing)

3*

It was a good platformer with some strange ideas. I still can't get over that stage selection wheel which made no sense and wasn't necessary at all. Other than that I don't remember the game doing anything terribly bad, on the other hand it doesn't make enough to leave a lasting impression (other than the final boss, that was pretty cool). Anyway, I do love platformers and they fit the portable consoles really well so I'm glad to own this little game in my collection.

Game 08: Tearaway Unfolded [PS4] (8 hours, got every trophy that doesn't require to collect every single collectible, not sure if I'll try to go for Platinum)

3.5*

After hearing all the praise when the original hit the Vita I had moderately high hopes for the PS4 reimagine, and for the most part I really enjoyed my time with Tearaway, but at the same time I started asking myself 'who's this game for?' around midway through it. The gameplay is inventive but gets repetitive really quickly since it doesn't really matter what you create, you always win. Tied to that are some really vibrant and, for the most part, kid friendly visuals which would make this the perfect game for children. But then they start throwing you tricky platforming with a spotty camera and, at points, tied to motion controls. It's a strangely heartwarming game with frustration and glitches sprinkles.

Game 09: Kickbeat [PS4] (4 hours)

2.5*

Decent rhythm game with a music selection that I didn't appreciate, but still good overall. There's not much to say really, I wish they kept the mode where you can use your own MP3's in the PS4 version, this would surely bump the score a bit.

VepsoO

Neo Member
Claiming! Forgot about this last year, but wouldn't have come close anyway. This year I fear Games #2, #3, and #4 below are gonna keep from coming anywhere close this year too.

Game #1: Life is Strange (PC) - 14 hrs
What a game to start this list. Easily my GOTY of 2015.

Game #2: Killing floor 2 (PC) - 180 hrs and counting
Most of those hrs are from last year, but I'm still playing this and will for the whole year, so might as well count it now. While occasionally frustrating, this game keeps pulling me in because of the tight and fun gameplay

Game #3: Rocket League (PC) - 80 hrs and counting
Still fun, still playing

Game #4: Rainbow Six: Siege (PC) - 70 hrs and counting
Just tried this a week or so ago, and I can easily say already that this may be my favourite fps for a long time.

Game #5: 12 Labours of Hercules III: Girl Power (PC) - 5 hrs
Nice distraction from multiplayer games. For the price it is good value

Game #6: Football Manager 2016 (PC) - 70 hrs
So I ventured back into the FM world. Probably the gaming series I have spent most time in ever. Still fun every now and then.

Game #7: Plague Inc: Evolved (PC) - 22 hrs
I first played this what seems like a long time ago. Now they have added multiplayer. And that is surprisingly fun.

Game #8: Darkest Dungeon (PC) - 52 hrs
So I finally installed this today after purchasing it when it first came into early access. I'm glad I waited, because what a blast. I started playing at breakfast, and didn't even notice the hrs flying by until my stomach said it was time for dinner.

Game #9: XCOM 2 (PC) - 36 hrs
Yes! My hype was strong in this and it delivered. Took me 35-36hrs to beat it. Really took my time though, experimenting and doing as many missions as I could. Final mission was epic. More playthroughs on higher difficulties coming up.

Game #10: American Truck Simulator (PC) - 10 hrs
I think they did Nevada really good, but California I feel they should have gotten more out of. Not sure if I'm gonna keep driving, might dip back in every now and then.

Game #11: Age of Empires II: HD Edition (PC) - 70 hrs and counting
I play this with friends every now and then, and 2016 is not going to be any different.

Game #12: Age of Gladiators (PC) - 22 hrs
Picked this up on a whim on Steam, and I'm glad I did. Addictive little gladiator management sim made by one guy. Took me 22 hrs to beat it and enjoyed every moment of it.

Game #13: The Witcher 2 (PC) - 25 hrs
I don't know. The game felt longer than what Steam says I played it for. The main quest line never got me by the hook, and the combat felt sluggish. Some side quests were enjoyable though.

Game #14: Helldivers (PC) - 5 hrs
I can understand why this was a hit when it came out. The game was fun for a while, but then I realized how much grind there was. Probably need some friends to play with, for this to as enjoyable as it should be.

Game #15: Banished (PC) - 60 hrs
Went back to Banished this year, to get all the achievements etc. I wish there were more games like this.

Game #16: Tom Clancy's The Division (PC) - 10 hrs
Meh, just meh...

Game #17: Hexcells Infinite (PC) - 5 hrs
Someone made Minesweeper fun. How on earth did they do that?

Game #18: Far Cry Primal (PC) - 15 hrs
Suprise hit no.1 for me this year. No expectations for this, but I enjoyed my self. Eventually got tired of all the icon hunting that got me sidetracked. Will go back and finish this.

Game #19: Call of Duty: Black Ops III (PC) - 25 hrs
Don't get me started on the campaign - it was probably the worst FPS campaign I ever bothered to finish. And Zombies were just confusing. However I have dipped my toes in the MP, and it is actually ok imo.

Game #20: Sid Meier's Civilization V (PC) - 10 hrs (over 300 hrs from previous years
Had a run with the Egyptians this year. Always nice to conquer some lands and build some wonders in the process.

Game #21: Stellaris (PC) - 10 hrs
I have just dipped my toes here so far, but I have a feeling that there should be more to this game. The first couple of hours were amazing though, but after that it didn't grab me. Waiting for patches, dlc's etc. before I go back.

Game #22: Cities Skylines (PC) - 20 hrs
Started another city. Man this game is good. This is the only city builder I will need in my life.

Game #23: Battleborn (PC) - 5 hrs
Just started playing, but I gotta say - this might be suprise hit no. 2 this year.

Game #24: Splendor (PC) - 3 hrs
Why didn't they put multiplayer in this? But other than that it is a fine implementation of the board game.

Zoracka

Game 4 - Pokémon Picross [3DS] (50 hours, finished in January 15)

Just a FYI, there are some picross games on Nintendo eShop named Picross e, Picross e2, Picross e3, etc (up to Picross e6). These picross games are developed by Jupiter Corporation, who also made Pokémon Picross (source), which is quite obvious when you've played both titles. Obviously you don't make pictures of pokémon, can't catch them and/or use their tricks, but if you like a pure Picross puzzle game, I'd definitely recommend these.

And all the titles in the series are only are priced $5.99 each and offers a lot more puzzles for much less than if you bought 5000 gems in Pokémon Picross.

jiggles

Banned
Archive Post

game-3723lnrsv.jpg

Game 5 - Diablo III: Reaper of Souls [PC] ★★★★★
Interesting to go through this on PC having beaten it on PS4 already. I saw it going for cheap just as they were preparing to launch Season 5 and I thought it was a good time to jump in. It's pure gaming comfort food. The PC version especially, as with enough mouse buttons it becomes an entirely one-handed experience that you can just zone out and play with a cup of tea or a beer or whatever. I'd not played any of the endgame stuff before, so my entire Season 5 run was played through in Adventure Mode, and I had a great time tackling rifts and checking off my objectives towards unlocking the seasonal items. I'll not go into too much detail, but it was 30 hours of pure loot hunting fun, over which I took a character from doing 7 damage per attack to 140,000,000. Everyone starting at the same point with the season gave everything a little bit more relevancy, and Blizzard have refined the progression and feedback to perfection. This is an empowering game that makes you just feel great. Masterful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom