• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Anyone have experienced with All-Star Games on Amazon? The World Breakers I pre-ordered still haven't been delivered.
Always tcgplayer for me. They automatically alert you if the store hasn't shipped your order in a couple days and then immediately give you the option to refund you if so. Worth the extra couple bucks. Their over $25 direct thing also basically next day's your card shipment.

Anyways I ordered a bunch of cards for g/r eldrazi, so
I have like 10 packages en route.

I think the problem is that breaking the letter of the law will definitely get them in trouble, but breaking the spirit of the law might get them in trouble

Lawyers are basically people paid a lot of money to read incomprehensible books and invent problems for people, so I honestly doubt they'd actually experience any real trouble even if they just unilaterally broke the list tomorrow. Everything about their response to this for ages has felt like bigshot corporate lawyers earning their keep to me.

Lawyers are basically people paid a lot of money to read incomprehensible books and invent problems for people, so I honestly doubt they'd actually experience any real trouble even if they just unilaterally broke the list tomorrow. Everything about their response to this for ages has felt like bigshot corporate lawyers earning their keep to me.

Any fan of Magic that believes strongly in the Reserved List should be forced to play with only cards from that list. Forever. Yes, that means no basic lands.

Yeef

Noah Bradley updated his site with all his recent Magic on one page: http://www.noahbradley.com/magic/

Also, I just realized that Reckless Cohort is a pretty cool flavor nod to the cohort ability. He recklessly taps himself unless he has someone to activate cohort with.

152.jpg
35.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

:(

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I think the problem is that breaking the letter of the law will definitely get them in trouble, but breaking the spirit of the law might get them in trouble

I've seen a lot of people claim this, but I really doubt it. I'm not a lawyer, but I don't see how company policy equates to any kind of actual enforceable contract with a large playerbase. I think Wizards could reprint Black Lotus next set and they wouldn't get in any actual legal trouble. I'd be interested to see any evidence to the contrary though.

Joe Molotov

I've seen a lot of people claim this, but I really doubt it. I'm not a lawyer, but I don't see how company policy equates to any kind of actual enforceable contract with a large playerbase. I think Wizards could reprint Black Lotus next set and they wouldn't get in any actual legal trouble. I'd be interested to see any evidence to the contrary though.

But muh investment :'(

Hero

Yeah definitely one of the best flavors from BFZ that really invoked how shitty things were for the Zendikans(Zendikari?)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Its great flavor text

Ruined only slightly by the fact that I simply cannot avoid seeing that sword he's holding as a big gun due to the way they handle the tip

Derping with Magic Online - There's some embarrassing stuff in here. In particular, remember the Archetype cards from Born of the Gods?
Image.ashx

It turns out the way they were handled in Magic Online was to hardcode an interaction with every card that grants that ability! Because the system as is can't handle preventing a creature from gaining a particular ability. That brings us to Bonds of Mortality.
Image.ashx

The card originally had a static ability to remove hexproof and indestructible and prevent creatures from gaining it, but the Magic Online team told the development team that it would take a lot of time to implement this, and thus got them to change it. I get hardcoding as a temporary fix, but why wouldn't you then update the system to handle it?!

Official Magic Fiction - Beneath the Surface - A pretty good story where Jori En rescues Kiora and then they go to retrieve the Bident of Thassa. It moved on its own into Kozilek's cave network, and they have to go through really tight tunnels. Jori is used to this, but Kiora is (rightfully) frightened about getting stuck. Kiora gets stuck at a part of a tunnel where she's had to compress her body to get through, so Jori goes ahead and has to fight off Goblin Dark-Dwellers to get the bident, and is left unable to move. Kiora manages to get through the small part of the tunnel, and grabbing the trident, destroys the tunnel with water to get them to the surface.

Kiora still seems pretty determined, but the story description says she despairs and leaves the plane, so expect a sudden character shift in her next story.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

As a lawyer, I would say they could get away with it if they really wanted to.

jph139

I actually really liked today's story - it actually stressed me out to read, and I'm not even claustrophobic. Solid writing there.

Angry Grimace

I actually really liked today's story - it actually stressed me out to read, and I'm not even claustrophobic. Solid writing there.
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/oath-gatewatch-story-events-2016-01-27

"Moments ago, Ob Nixilis destabilized the hedron network the Planeswalkers had assembled to trap Ulamog. The Planeswalkers continued to fight, hoping they could still defeat the titan. But the quaking ground gave way and the titan Kozilek rose, accompanied by thousands of Eldrazi of his brood lineage. Kozilek crashed through Sea Gate, toppling the lighthouse and destroying the dam. The Zendikari army and the Planeswalkers scattered, with Kiora planeswalking away from her home world in despair. It seemed that Zendikar was doomed."

Apparently, what Wizards actually means is "LOL just kidding Kiora's right here we just made that up"

Angry Grimace

It's a loss aversion thing. They don't want to fight the legal battles and incur the expense, even if they'll win.

Most lawyers (meaning, ones other than me) just waste time billing shitloads of money for no real reason (read: there is a reason, and its billing shitloads of money), especially ones that are working for gigantic corporations. I think Hasbro would win the suit, but here's what I would say would happen:

* WOTC prints a set with dual lands in it.

* Lawyer Guy files a class action lawsuit.

* WOTC/Hasbro fight the lawsuit. Both parties spend an inordinate amount of time on super vague bullshit and discovery squabbles so they can a) bill Hasbro $450 an hour, and b) justify taking 33% of the take to the judge.

* WOTC/Hasbro settles because while they're likely to win, you can in fact lose when you shouldn't. It happens, all of the time. Lawyers get rich, very few people are actually able to make significant claims because the only cards on the reserved list worth anything that people have are duals or Gaea's Cradle, and very few of those people make claims. They get like $100 in sealed product or something.

I am relatively lucky to work in one of the few areas of law where I don't have to waste anyone's money or time or rip people off.

kirblar

Today's recommendation: Descendants' Path

It's popping up in a near-future SaffronOlive article and you can get a set for like about a buck/buck fifty each right now.

Yeef

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/oath-gatewatch-story-events-2016-01-27

"Moments ago, Ob Nixilis destabilized the hedron network the Planeswalkers had assembled to trap Ulamog. The Planeswalkers continued to fight, hoping they could still defeat the titan. But the quaking ground gave way and the titan Kozilek rose, accompanied by thousands of Eldrazi of his brood lineage. Kozilek crashed through Sea Gate, toppling the lighthouse and destroying the dam. The Zendikari army and the Planeswalkers scattered, with Kiora planeswalking away from her home world in despair. It seemed that Zendikar was doomed."

Apparently, what Wizards actually means is "LOL just kidding Kiora's right here we just made that up"
That's the story summary from the fat pack. Official Uncharted Magic Realms hasn't caught up yet.

Angry Grimace

I'm not saying this deck is good, but I am saying its fun. Especially the Oath of Gideon into Sorin combo wombo. Nissa into Gideon or Sorin is really good.

4 Oath of Nissa
3 Oath of Gideon
4 Den Protector
2 Anafenza, the Foremost
3 Silkwrap
4 Stasis Snare
1 Murderous Cut
4 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
4 Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
3 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
2 Ob Nixilis Reignited

Land:

4 Wooded Foothills
2 Hissing Quagmire
2 Llanowar Wastes
2 Canopy Vista
4 Flooded Strand
3 Shambling Vent
1 Smoldering Marsh
1 Sunken Hollow
3 Windswept Heath
2 Plains
1 Swamp
1 Forest

Sideboard:

3 Duress
3 Flaying Tendrils
3 Hallowed Moonlight
1 Painful Truths
2 Surge of Righteousness
3 Arashin Cleric

Ashodin

Playset bought.

Yeah I actually saw this card on a humor video posted on the mtg subreddit last night, but didn't realize what it did.

OnPoint

I love that these cards keep popping up as useful out of relative obscurity. Zendikar through RTR (the set, not the block) is my favorite period of Magic.

Wulfric

Eye of Ugin is probably one of the better expeditions art wise. So nice and pointy...

I pray for the poor saps who feel the need to have full playsets of Expeditions. Even one of each for EDH is prohibitively expensive.

Ashodin

Oh I forgot to update with the pulls.

Kozilek
Linvala, the Preserver
4x Needle Spires
2x Wandering Fumarole
Hissing Quagmire
Thought-Knot Seer
2x Overwhelming Denial
Oath of Jace
Oath of Nissa
Oath of Gideon
Oath of Chandra
Chandra, Flamecaller
Sphinx of the Final Word
World Breaker
Eldrazi Mimic
Endbringer
Matter Reshaper
Eldrazi Displacer
Stone Haven Outfitter
Deepfathom Skulker
Dimensional Infiltrator
Dread Defiler
Hedron Alignment
Bearer of Silence
2x Sylvan Advocate (one foil)

There's more but I don't feel like typing them all lol

noquarter

It's popping up in a near-future SaffronOlive article and you can get a set for like about a buck/buck fifty each right now.
Pretty sure I have a couple playsets of this, was trying to make it work in a B/G Zombies deck when it was standard legal. Never did enough back then, but might try it again. With Thought-Knot Seer and Wasteland Stranger offering decent abilities might be alright just going creature heavy.

Jhriad

I'd be a bit hesitant to spec too hard on a SaffronOlive brew. He brews a lot of cool decks but I'm not going deep on his word alone. That said, when he commented about the card I had to look it up and decided to buy a few foils for a couple bucks each. Seemed like a pretty safe bet for reasonable gains just from a modicum of EDH and casual usage.

It's a loss aversion thing. They don't want to fight the legal battles and incur the expense, even if they'll win.

While conversely they were happy to spend the time and money on fighting HEX, even though they knew they'd (essentially) lose.

I am relatively lucky to work in one of the few areas of law where I don't have to waste anyone's money or time or rip people off.

Family?

HOLY SHIT, I just read that the fucking thing CASTS IT.

That is hilarious in retrospect. Those cards almost never let you actually cast the card, and the eldrazi are one of the few groups of critters where it actually matters.

Angry Grimace

While conversely they were happy to spend the time and money on fighting HEX, even though they knew they'd (essentially) lose.

Family?

Employment law representing employees. I don't typically get paid on an hourly-basis so I don't have much incentive to play lawyer games.

And if they really wanted to get around the Reserved List, the way they do it is by resuming production of Revised Edition. No, think about it. That's not a reprint. :)

bigkrev

And if they really wanted to get around the Reserved List, the way they do it is by resuming production of Revised Edition. No, think about it. That's not a reprint. :)

That's..... Brilliant. I'd never have thought of that, and it totally complies with the rules of the Reserved list.

This is a long podcast (90 minutes), but it's very worth the listen. This is the "tell all" about the judge's side of Spoilergate:

http://judgecast.com/?p=930

In short: WotC handled the situation worse than we know. They outright lied both to us and to the judges in question throughout the process. The Judge Program itself was strongarmed into punishing the judges even further. They still have not heard all of the appeals of all of the people involved. The judges in question are still not convinced that they won't quit in the near future (including additional L3s in the region who weren't suspended in the first place) which would basically make events in the region unable to exist.

noquarter

Employment law representing employees. I don't typically get paid on an hourly-basis so I don't have much incentive to play lawyer games.

Great idea, but would rather them finish the unlimited printings of Unlimited cards. Get us some new power out there.

Haines

Banned
My frustation levels of trying to play magic never lower.

Was supposed to draft friday, but now my buddy cant. he had a free parking spot, so now if i want to go to this shop for 8 man draft, i have to spend 6 bucks on parking. After driving for 25 minutes. The thing is i might as well be playing sealed on saturday at that point with free parking, but i have no desire to pay 25 a week on magic. 14 is much nicer,

Idk, i guess i pay 6 bucks, but yuck. I can stay home and do something else, but i really like this game, i want to play. Maybe i need to just open a shop in my town.

Hero

My frustation levels of trying to play magic never lower.

Was supposed to draft friday, but now my buddy cant. he had a free parking spot, so now if i want to go to this shop for 8 man draft, i have to spend 6 bucks on parking. After driving for 25 minutes. The thing is i might as well be playing sealed on saturday at that point with free parking, but i have no desire to pay 25 a week on magic. 14 is much nicer,

Idk, i guess i pay 6 bucks, but yuck. I can stay home and do something else, but i really like this game, i want to play. Maybe i need to just open a shop in my town.

If 6 dollars is going to stop you from having a good time then I would not recommend opening up a shop.

Haines

Banned
If 6 dollars is going to stop you from having a good time then I would not recommend opening up a shop.

Im going to look into a shop in another town thats closer etc, but my buddy didnt like it, so idk if even has a firing 8 man draft.

I kind of wonder how much magic online kills live drafts.

OnPoint

This is genius. But also slippery haha Why not just start printing Unlimited again. It is, after all, "unlimited", no?

Maledict

Catching up on Mark Rosewater's "Drive to Work", and listened to the podcast regarding Wizard's ill-fated Star Wars CCG. On the plus side, it's really fascinating learning how they ended up making the design decisions they chose (dice, battlefields, etc) and how working with Lucasarts was. Great insights into design decisions and worth listening for that.

However, I have to say as someone who was active in the industry at the time, he skips out on a lot of the drama and unpleasantness of that era. In the podcast, he says that "Hasbro had the rights for the toys, so asked us to make a card game". Which is flatly untrue - Decipher already had the rights at the time for the card game, which they had been making for years. At the time Decipher's Star Wars game was second place to MTG in the adult CCG market. Wizards went to Lucasarts and promised them far higher returns if they gave them the contract, and so Lucasarts killed Decipher's game and handed the rights to Wizards. Copies of the presentation they gave were available on the web at the time, so it's hardly a big secret.

Secondly, he doesn't cover what a catastrophic failure the game was. The inclusion of dice as a mechanic didn't work at all, the print quality of the cards was noticeably worse than Decipher's, and it was a huge loss leader for them that ended up being killed three years after launch even despite the fact it was launching in the middle of the massive hype of the prequel films.

Thirdly, it's interesting hear him talk about "solved problems" as if they invented the solution. E.g. Unique characters - they wanted people to be able to use the big characters from the show, but couldn't have them all at mythic rare quality, so they came up with the idea of having different versions of the character at different rarities and letting you use extra copies of the character as a boost. Which sounds great, only other cards games had been using that same mechanic for years by this point.

It's a really interesting cast, and would definitely recommend listening to it, just be aware it's a very, very one sided view (even more so than usual from Mark).

Daedardus

Meh, my order from Trollandtoad still hasn't arrived. They said it would take five business days to receive the Customs Identification number, but it's been 13 business days and still no mail. Didn't arrive at home either, which makes me assume it's been lost in mail before it even got send. Normally it takes around 7 days to get here, I ordered two weeks later from Coolstuff and it arrived already.

Catching up on Mark Rosewater's "Drive to Work", and listened to the podcast regarding Wizard's ill-fated Star Wars CCG. On the plus side, it's really fascinating learning how they ended up making the design decisions they chose (dice, battlefields, etc) and how working with Lucasarts was. Great insights into design decisions and worth listening for that.

However, I have to say as someone who was active in the industry at the time, he skips out on a lot of the drama and unpleasantness of that era. In the podcast, he says that "Hasbro had the rights for the toys, so asked us to make a card game". Which is flatly untrue - Decipher already had the rights at the time for the card game, which they had been making for years. At the time Decipher's Star Wars game was second place to MTG in the adult CCG market. Wizards went to Lucasarts and promised them far higher returns if they gave them the contract, and so Lucasarts killed Decipher's game and handed the rights to Wizards. Copies of the presentation they gave were available on the web at the time, so it's hardly a big secret.

Secondly, he doesn't cover what a catastrophic failure the game was. The inclusion of dice as a mechanic didn't work at all, the print quality of the cards was noticeably worse than Decipher's, and it was a huge loss leader for them that ended up being killed three years after launch even despite the fact it was launching in the middle of the massive hype of the prequel films.

Thirdly, it's interesting hear him talk about "solved problems" as if they invented the solution. E.g. Unique characters - they wanted people to be able to use the big characters from the show, but couldn't have them all at mythic rare quality, so they came up with the idea of having different versions of the character at different rarities and letting you use extra copies of the character as a boost. Which sounds great, only other cards games had been using that same mechanic for years by this point.

It's a really interesting cast, and would definitely recommend listening to it, just be aware it's a very, very one sided view (even more so than usual from Mark).

I'll have to listen to that! Are these podcasts on the MTG website or his blog?

I still have the Attack of the Clones starter set in a drawer somewhere! I remember I picked one up with my cousin, and tried to get it to catch on, now that the social convention deemed Pokémon cards were too childish for us!

I was really into the Star Wars TCG as a kid, in fact the first forum I ever signed up for was the fan site rebelbasers.com. I tried to get my friends to play but it never went anywhere. I was desperate for anything Star Wars and was willing to overlook how mediocre a game it was. I had a starter box for Decipher's CCG as well but it was dead by the time I got into card games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom