• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metaphor: Re:FantazioNew Information Released

Draugoth

Gold Member
ReFantazio-News_12-11-23-1024x576.jpg

Publisher ATLUS and developer Studio Zero shared new information on the setting, tribes, prologue, and unique gameplay mechanics of fantasy RPG Metaphor: ReFantazio during today’s end-of-year broadcast with the voice cast.

Get the details below.

■ Story Setting
Metaphor: ReFantazio
A world separate from our own, inhabited by eight tribes.
In this world is a land known as the United Kingdom of Euchronia.

The union, founded by the heroic first king and ruled by a strong royal family that inherited powerful magic, has gradually succumbed to corruption over the years, and is descending into a “virtueless nation” torn apart by inequality and discrimination.
In the vast realm, dangerous animals and mysterious monsters known as “Humans” run rampant, making the lands outside city walls seldom safe. And the assassinations of Euchronia’s prince and king have unleashed further chaos and unrest unto a kingdom now without a ruler.
■ The Eight Tribes
Clemar
A tribe characterized by the horns on each side of their heads. Their physique and physical capabilities are average. They occupy a number of important positions in the royal family and monarchy, and are often considered the central tribe of the kingdom. They themselves tend to subconsciously internalize the sense that this is true.
Roussainte
A tribe characterized by their long, protruding ears. With a remarkable physique and physical capabilities, many of them are soldiers or occupy important positions in the military. Many possess a combative nature, fixated on victory versus defeat and seeking to determine the inferiority or superiority of anything and everything.
Ichthyia (spelling to be confirmed)
A tribe characterized by the elegant wings on various parts of their bodies. They possess greater intellect than other tribes. Many hold high positions in intellectual labor, such as scholars and clergymen, and many are wealthy. Coupled with their appearance, they are a tribe that is sometimes admired, but as there are also those who tend to look down upon others, they are equally despised.
Rogue (spelling to be confirmed)
A tribe characterized by their long lifespan. Some live more than twice the average life expectancy of other tribes. Their aging is unique, with middle and old ages occupying the majority of their lifetime. In traditionally seniority-based positions, they consequently tend to hold higher positions. Their culture emphasizes great value in “passing down” knowledge and purpose.
Nydia (spelling to be confirmed)
A tribe characterized by their large eyes and eye color. Despite lacking any particularly extraordinary traits, many are said to be sociable and charismatic. However, their nature is often taken negatively by some, who consider them “untrustworthy smooth talkers” or “weirdos.”
Palipas (spelling to be confirmed)
A tribe characterized by their beast-like ears and tail. While physically very strong, their senses are also physical, and they are for better or worse pleasure seekers. While their love for feasting and liveliness, and their carefree cheerfulness can at times be a strength, it can also manifest as an impulsiveness that does not favor deep contemplation. They lack political dominance and are looked down upon by other tribes.
Eugief
A tribe characterized by their bat-like wings and ears. Due to their difference in appearance and abilities compared to the humanoid tribes, they are often seen as creepy and discriminated against. For that reason, the majority live life without wealth and are lower in rank among the other tribes. They are generally mild-mannered and cooperative. However, they are not good at making big decisions and tend to hesitate due to their constant concern for others.
Mutsutari (spelling to be confirmed)
A tribe characterized by the “third eye” on their foreheads. They are often viewed as strange due to their unique masks and traditional attire. Since they follow their own faith separate from the state religion, they are often persecuted as “heretics” in the mainland, and are somewhat mysterious.
■ The Monstrosities Known as “Humans”
Unidentifiable creatures with bizarre appearances unlike any other known animal. Each one harbors a substantial amount of rampant Magra in their systems, prompting them to indiscriminately attack everything around them. While generally unintelligent and aggressive, their biology is a mystery, such as their use of a magic far too advanced for people to easily handle. Their bodies are robust, and the larger ones are capable of annihilating even entire armies.
■ Prologue
A boy and his fairy set out on a journey to break a course…
The protagonist is a boy of the elda tribe, a detested tribe few in number. Together with his partner, the fairy Galica, he must find a way to break the curse that has been placed on the prince.
The only way to break the death curse consuming the prince—“to take the life of the sorcerer who cursed him.”
As he travels across the vast continent, the boy will meet and form bonds with many people, and eventually come to learn the true nature of the kingdom.
The boy’s journey begins with a major incident that shakes the entire kingdom.
■ Introduction
A battle for the throne breaks out through “election-enforcing magic”…
The king falls to an assassin’s blade, and the United Kingdom of Euchronia loses its ruler without a successor. Who will become the next king? In the midst of the chaos, a “magic” that no one could have seen coming is invoked at the king’s funeral.
“On Hero’s Day in the 10th Month… by the day my soul truly departs this world, the one who has gathered the most trust from the people of the land will become the next king.”
The sky had suddenly echoed with the voice of a king supposedly dead. In exchange for his life, the king devised a grand magic that would allow the nation to compete for the throne via national ballet.
To carry out his mission, the protagonist throws himself into the great race for the throne that will envelop the entire kingdom.
■ Characters
Read more about the game’s characters here.
■ Unique Gameplay Mechanics
Battle

Point 1: A unique battle system evolved from Persona 5 that combines action and command-based mechanics. While command-based mechanics are the core battle system, lower-ranked enemies on the field can be defeated with action-based mechanics.
Point 2: All party members can be customized, allowing for a wide variety of party formations.
More details to be announced!

Travel
Point 1: The realistic “daily life” mechanics of the Persona series have evolved! Enjoy a realistic daily life experience as if you were actually planning a journey.
Point 2: Travel around the world aboard your Gauntlet Runner. Move between multiple bases and set off on a worldwide journey!

■ ATLUS’s 35th Anniversary
The ATLUS brand will celebrate its 35th anniversary in 2024.
ATLUS Brand 35th World Tour: Road to Metaphor: ReFantazio
In celebration of the ATLUS brand’s 35th anniversary, ATLUS is planning a worldwide premium tour featuring the latest information on Metaphor: ReFantazio. Please look forward to more details to be announced!

Metaphor: ReFantazio is due out for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series, and PC via Steam and Microsoft Store in fall 2024.

Watch a 14-minute developer diary below, as well as an archive of the end-of-year broadcast.

Last edited:

Isa

Watching the video now, its so nice to see more gameplay and music. The art is on another level, its so crazy I love it. Very striking. Can't wait for this next year!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yeah the mix of real time and turned looks interesting.
Also the visual style is awesome.
Thats Atlus for you, their games might not be “high tech” but their art direction on point which I mostly prefer that over high tech realistic visuals.

Skelterz

Super keen I feel like this is going under the radar a bit but will end up being an absolutely fantastic game so excited to get my hands on it.

Danjin44

Waay too busy for my tastes. Even busier than P5

I think P4 had the perfect balance between stylish/epilepsy enducing flashes. Now its just too much, they jumped the shark
I personally REALLY like it. 🤷‍♂️

i always liked the way Hashino games does UI and not just Persona but also Catherine.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Waay too busy for my tastes. Even busier than P5

I think P4 had the perfect balance between stylish/epilepsy enducing flashes. Now its just too much, they jumped the shark
Yeah it kinda feels too flashy. There is such a thing as "too much".

It was ok to do once in Persona 5, but now they're trying to force this fashionism in all games as some sort of "trademark" and it just looks silly.

Each game should have their own visual identity.

It was ok to do once in Persona 5, but now they're trying to force this fashionism in all games as some sort of "trademark" and it just looks silly.

Each game should have their own visual identity.
I'm concerned about that flash as well. Sort of getting yucky TMS vibes, and then Soul Hacker 2 had a lot of cringe characters and dialog moments. Gonna have to wait for reviews for this one.

Danjin44

I'm concerned about that flash as well. Sort of getting yucky TMS vibes, and then Soul Hacker 2 had a lot of cringe characters and dialog moments. Gonna have to wait for reviews for this one.
Hashino and his team didn't made TMS and Soul Hackers 2. He worked on Nocturne, Persona 3, 4 and 5 and Catherine, if enjoy his past game then no reason not enjoy this one.

Edit:

Last edited:

EDMIX

Hashino and his team didn't made TMS and Soul Hackers 2. He worked on Nocturne, Persona 3, 4 and 5 and Catherine, if enjoy his past game then no reason not enjoy this one.

Edit:

How is it 2023 and we are still getting this stale, dated, safe and lazy design

GBExiZzWgAAsgzd

Be like "we going to put some picture and some text in a box....REVOLUNARY" lol

Like..for fuck sales, just fully animate the fucking game lol

I don't think that is asking for too much and its not like this will be some discount game, they'll have no issue charging full price for this.

Danjin44

I don't think that is asking for too much and its not like this will be some discount game, they'll have no issue charging full price for this.
I don’t know about anybody else but we have Soejima as character designer for this game and I want to see his 2D art in the game, so I personally don’t mind this. Also just like his pervious games we still have high quality both 2D and 3D cutscenes in the game for major story moments.

EDMIX

I don’t know about anybody else but we have Soejima as character designer for this game and I want to see his 2D art in the game, so I personally don’t mind this. Also just like his pervious games we still have high quality both 2D and 3D cutscenes in the game for major story moments.

I wouldn't mind seeing the 2D art, but it should be for the menu stuff, I think if they want to charge full price, fully animate with those scenes.

This isn't a visual novel and this isn't a game from 2003 on PS2 or something. The technology exist for them to fully render and animate these ideas and it seems they are making a choice to cut corners and be lazy with this over used design.

And I say this as a person that likes the art of this game....but I recognize it is a GAME and should be animated to take full advantage of the hardware to give use some real time anime looking game to be fully immersed. Put it like this, I don't buy that the people at SEGA did the budget and made this choice based on liking this persons art lol They did it to make that development cheaper.

Even so, I'm not a fan of the design of some of these characters at this point. Maybe they'll grow on me, but maybe not. I used to be an anime fan, but lately I'm just not feeling most of what's going on there.

Danjin44

I wouldn't mind seeing the 2D art, but it should be for the menu stuff, I think if they want to charge full price, fully animate with those scenes.

This isn't a visual novel and this isn't a game from 2003 on PS2 or something. The technology exist for them to fully render and animate these ideas and it seems they are making a choice to cut corners and be lazy with this over used design.

And I say this as a person that likes the art of this game....but I recognize it is a GAME and should be animated to take full advantage of the hardware to give use some real time anime looking game to be fully immersed. Put it like this, I don't buy that the people at SEGA did the budget and made this choice based on liking this persons art lol They did it to make that development cheaper.
Is game like Armored Core VI not worth full price because it doesn't show character's faces? For me if the game is worth full price or not entirely depend on how much I enjoyed the game.....thats all.

EDMIX

Is game like Armored Core VI not worth full price because it doesn't show character's faces? For me if the game is worth full price or not entirely depend on how much I enjoyed the game.....thats all.

I don't think anything is wrong if someone enjoys it, merely that they had the funds to fully animate. My point isn't really based on if you'll like it as I get you enjoy games like this, merely that they (imho) should not be charging full price if they are cutting all these corners to avoid animating, at the very least pass that discount on the consumer to make it make sense.

Danjin44

I don't think anything is wrong if someone enjoys it, merely that they had the funds to fully animate. My point isn't really based on if you'll like it as I get you enjoy games like this, merely that they (imho) should not be charging full price if they are cutting all these corners to avoid animating, at the very least pass that discount on the consumer to make it make sense.
If you dont think is not worth full price then wait for sale I guess? Again Armored Core VI didn't even show character's faces and yet that game worth every penny.... 🤷‍♂️

LordCBH

This is an awful take. Good lord.

GBExiZzWgAAsgzd

That looks like a re-skinned Chihaya, and the MC kinda looks like Aigis's twin brother.

EDMIX

If you dont think is not worth full price then wait for sale I guess? Again Armored Core VI didn't even show character's faces and yet that game worth every penny.... 🤷‍♂️
yea...I don't think you get whats being said here.

they had the funds to fully animate

As in, they can afford to 100% actually have a fully rendered scene.

My comment is not about if you would or wouldn't pay of it or waiting for a sale or anything like that.
This is an awful take. Good lord.

Good lord....why? lol

We are here to discuss.

I'd like some advancement in the animation department regarding these games instead of the same dated, copy and paste cheap design.

That looks like a re-skinned Chihaya, and the MC kinda looks like Aigis's twin brother.
lol yesssssssss after a while, they all have this generic cheap, great value look to them and its hard to come by real unique designs some times with these anime type style games.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I'm not a fan of the character designs.

Same.

Comes across very generic and samey. 2 different eye colors, long hair...I'm just waiting for someone to show up with an eye patch to win the Anime Bingo I got set up lol
why do they always make these MCs look like fucking twinks
why can't i play with the badass looking dude on the left
I'm not even sure if the main character is a girl or a boy..... in some of these scenes lol I'm not sure if this is one of those games where you can play the whole party, so I'm not sure if you can play the guy with the horns.

I agree, I feel those effects are bit much and would prefer it to be toned down a bit.

So you make social connections to unlock the ability to transform into "archetypes?"

Listen here....I fucking love them social connections lol

Mister Wolf

Same.

Comes across very generic and samey. 2 different eye colors, long hair...I'm just waiting for someone to show up with an eye patch to win the Anime Bingo I got set up lol

I'm not even sure if the main character is a girl or a boy..... in some of these scenes lol I'm not sure if this is one of those games where you can play the whole party, so I'm not sure if you can play the guy with the horns.

I agree, I feel those effects are bit much and would prefer it to be toned down a bit.

Listen here....I fucking love them social connections lol

They all look over designed like the main character from Fire Emblem Engage.

GBExiZzWgAAsgzd

controversial-brave.gif

Hudo

GBExiZzWgAAsgzd

How do you feel about Vanillaware?

Go_Ly_Dow

GBExiZzWgAAsgzd

Modern Atlus games always have a combo of both text scrolling and animated cutscenes. Also its quite unerasonable to expect them to fully animate and turn every dialogue situation into a cutscene. There games are like 60-80 hours long. Not 15 hours like Spiderman for example.

Finally considering the reception, critically and commercially for the likes of P5, I don't think there's a strong case for them to overhaul their general design philosophies yet. These are video games end of the day and not every game needs to be presented like a movie.

NanaMiku

GBExiZzWgAAsgzd

Recently I don't mind with text box, especially with log button.

This is just one way to save development cost lol. I prefer text box with meatier story rather than flashy animation that I can miss because I'm too focused on the animation.

Top Bottom