• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Top/Essential RPGs

Limiting myself to one installment from each series just to create some variety.

1. Final Fantasy VI
2. Dragon Quest IV Remake
3. Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete
4. Chrono Trigger
5. Diablo 2
6. Persona 3 FES
7. Etrian Odyssey
8. The World Ends With You
9. Skies of Arcadia
10. Breath of Fire

Lard

Banned
Persona 4
Suikoden 2
Suikoden 3
Grandia
Skies of Arcadia Legends
SMT Nocturne
Pool of Radiance (C64)
Wasteland
Shadow Hearts
Final Fantasy X

MechaX

I'm going to try to go off of the "If you could only play one RPG in this series..." kind of mentality. That way, it forcibly restricts me from flooding the list with Megami Tensei games.

1. Final Fantasy VI

2. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - Not only has this game aged rather well (for the most part), if you're in the Star Wars camp, this will be one of the best entries to the Expanded Universe for the past... well, decade.

3. Chrono Trigger

4. Persona 4 - I actually had a lot of trouble choosing between this, Nocturne, and Persona 2. However, I believe that Persona 4 mixes in all of the good qualities of the Megami Tensei games and infuses it with its own kind of style and flair. Sure, it's about teenagers saving the world, but you're not going to find anything better out there with the same criteria.

5. Final Fantasy Tactics - Yeah, I lied, another Final Fantasy game. But I would say that this is probably the best SRPG out there.

6. The World Ends with You - When considering how crazy Square-Enix has been in terms of quality, I'm surprised that this game turned out as well as it did. It is also one of the few games that really, really takes advantage of the DS's strengths. That, and it's a damn good RPG.

7. Parasite Eve - Strange entry, but yeah, I would consider this to be an essential one. It's definitely the most flawed game in the list, but this definitely represents an era where Square was definitely open to experimentation. Even now, you never really see an RPG with a very modern setting with a rather interesting story (not the most complex thing ever, but it at least makes you think at some points). Too bad its sequel took a little less "Cinematic RPG" and a little more "Resident Evil, tank controls and all"

8. Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal - Personally, I think GSC is the quintessential Pokemon installment. RBY was good and all, but I felt that GSC represented a true leap above RBY with its new types, loads of new pokemon (which were actually decent looking, unlike the newer ones), and contained a lot of bang for its buck with its two regions.

9. Dragon Age: Origins - I never played Baldur's Gate 2, so this is the next best thing for me.

10. Mass Effect - Flawed, yes. But it still tries some really unique things and is the first game series in a while to put a lot of effort into sucking players into its very own universe.

1. Final Fantasy X
2. Tales of the Abyss
3. Lost Oydssey
4. Star Ocean: Til the End of Time
5. Lunar 2: Eternal Blue
6. Lunar: Silver Star Story
7. Final Fantasy 7
8. Suikoden II
9. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
10. Final Fantasy IX

rbenchley

Persona 4
Valkyrie Profile
Final Fantasy XII
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Tales of the Abyss
Lost Odyssey
Skies of Arcadia
Grandia
Star Ocean 3
Valkyria Chronicles

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Final Fantasy IX
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Dragon Quest VIII
Final Fantasy X

Those are the best I've played.

qcf x2

Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross
Shining Force II
Shining Force III
Shenmue
Shenmue II
Skies of Arcadia
Grandia II
FF7
Mass Effect

I can't believe nobody mentioned Ogre Battle.

1. Ogre Battle
2. Fire Emblem
3. Final Fantasy VI
4. Chrono Trigger
5. Secret of Mana
6. Vagrant Story
7. Earthbound
8. Final Fantasy 8
9. World of Warcraft
10. Final Fantasy Tactics

Palmer_v1

Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy XII
Golden Sun 1&2
Front Mission 3
Kingdom Hearts
Grandia 2
Skies of Arcadia
Tactics Ogre
Suikoden 2
Suikoden 3

Coming up with this list, I realize that Square owns my RPG soul. Also, I prefer the tactical strategy RPGs over traditional JRPGs. Finally, while I love games like Deus Ex, Mass Effect, and Bioshock, I just can't choose them for an "RPG" list. They're shooters that borrow some rpg elements, IMO.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Baldur's Gate 2 -- The essential RPG. Huge, with both a linear main quest and a plethora of carefully crafted non-linear "side quests" (so well-made they're overqualified as such), and full of epic boss fights with a deep combat system and some of the most interesting itemization anywhere.

Planescape: Torment -- The best-written video game yet made, by miles. 800,000 word script, and every bit of it worth reading. Try slogging through a 30 minute conversation with some Dragon Age peasant after playing Torment and you'll wish you had a "yes/no/*punch in the face*" Mass Effect dialogue wheel to get it over with. The combat's lacking, the loot kinda sucks, but it's really not enough to detract from the experience.

The Witcher -- All the attention at launch seemed to be focused on the sex, but somehow despite that The Witcher turned out to be mature (in the proper sense), filled with morally ambiguous decisions and a refreshing take on the fantasy setting, in large part due to the excellent adaptation of its source material.

Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer -- In many ways the spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment, MotB captures the same essence. Quality writing, first and foremost, in a planeshifting dream-like setting with the best npc companions you'll find anywhere.

Fallout 2 -- I don't actually have any idea as to whether I prefer Fallout 1 or Fallout 2, but I'll list 2 here for its quirky humor and memorable quest hubs. The first one also excels, as a more serious classic kind of adventure, and I find that ultimately they compliment each other and shouldn't be separated except by necessity. Freedom and consequences are the primary elements of both.

System Shock 2 -- Irrational basically carbon copied System Shock 2, set it on fire and spoon-fed the ashes to the console crowd for Bioshock. A highly influential first person RPG hybrid with heart-racing tension and a memorable story delivered through audio log files scattered throughout the game, System Shock 2 is probably the only game that can scare the shit out of you with enemies that resemble brown lego blocks by today's standards.

Deus Ex -- Along with System Shock 2, Deus Ex really proved the tremendous potential of the hybrid RPG. Deus Ex is story-driven and cinematic and sufficiently non-linear, but instead of the typical RPG abstractions it's firmly in the control of the player from a first person perspective with action gameplay.

Morrowind -- Morrowind is broken. You start out dueling rats to the death and losing, and you finish completely invulnerable and likely flying around the game world with jet-like levitation and teleports and 5 mile leaps. But that's *why* it's so great. Bethesda's follow-up would try far too hard to balance everything for a consistent experience, and ended up with a homogeneous treadmill. Morrowind takes you from pissant to god, one cliff racer at a time. It's also hardcore enough to force you to rely on written directions to find your way in its ridiculously large game world, promoting a serious sense of exploration.

Demon's Souls -- Brutal, unforgiving, and all the more satisfying for each new step you take. Demon's Souls understands why challenge is important in an era where focus groups streamline difficulty into the ground. It also brings some revolutionary online components to a primarily single player experience.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines -- Forgive the dreadful combat and the need for community patches to hold it together. Bloodlines is clever, witty, and dark, filled with interesting personalities and uniquely leveraging a modern setting.

Speevy

Banned
-KOTOR
-Final Fantasy 6
-The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind
-Valkyria Chronicles
-Dark Cloud 2
-Dragon Quest VIII
-Chrono Trigger
-Paper Mario 64

Those are my favorites.

Lorr

1. Xenogears - As someone else said, this is probably the most flawed game on my list. It's also my favorite. Great characters, great story, great music, great world.

2. Vagrant Story - Hidden Gem, if it can be considered such.

3. Demon's Souls - Best game, must less RPG, I've played this gen.

4. Final Fantasy XII - This choice actually surprised me, but thinking back through all the Final Fantasies that I've played, this is probably my favorite. So many things done so right (and some so wrong, unfortunately... Would love the chance to play the International edition, Square.)

5. Final Fantasy Tactics

6. Chrono Trigger

7. Final Fantasy VII - I would not have played many of the other games on this list if it weren't for this one.

7. Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete - One of the most charming games I've ever played.

9. Chrono Cross

10. Alundra
Three of these games come from Matsuno. Where has he gone?

Also, I really want to play Planescape. Don't suppose it's available on Steam or anything?

Great lists; this is like a 'what to play' guide for me.

I'm extremely mainstream when it comes to RPG's:

1) Mass Effect 2
2) Fallout 2
3) Fallout 3
4) Oblivion
5) Final Fantasy 7
6) Secret of Mana
7) Fallout 1
8) The Witcher
9) Mass Effect
10) KotOR

Honourable mentions: Faery Tales (1, when I played it on my friends Amiga as a 7 year old), Borderlands, Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2, Betrayal at Krondor (the first RPG I ever really like), Final Fantasy Adventure, and KotOR 2.

Dishonourable mention: Dragon Age. That game is an unfinished, unpolished mess.

No particular order, because each pick is 1 pt (good job on that decision) and arbitrary ordering sucks:

1. Secret of Mana
2. Seiken Densetsu 3
3. Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal
4. Final Fantasy XI
5. Final Fantasy IX
6. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
7. Earthbound
8. Super Robot Wars A (GBA) *hidden gem, unless you're Japanese
9. Final Fantasy XII
10. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

oracrest

1. Dragon warrior

2. Chrono trigger

3. Final Fantasy II (snes)

4. Planescape:Torment

5. Final Fantasy III (snes)

6. Secret of Mana

7. Shining Force

8. Breath of Fire 3

9. Xenogears

10. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn

honorable mention: Final Fantasy Tactics, Suikoden 1/2, Demon's Souls.... still playing through it.

DiscoJer

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen
Wasteland
Elder Scrolls: Arena
Ultima IV
Questron
Mass Effect
KOTOR
The Bard's Tale (original)
Curse of the Azure Bonds

Tactics Ogre and Ogre Battle play completely different, but are both masterpieces, set in an extremely deep fantasy world inspired by the music of Queen. Both are extremely deep games, with multiple endings. Tactics Ogre featured a very mature plot and asked you to do something really unpleasant (which you could refuse to do or not). Tactics Ogre probably also started a whole line of tactical RPGs (the ones with isometric views anyway, they all play like it, but none have equaled it)

Wasteland is such an amazing game on so many levels. It was the first one that actually moved me with its story (which wasn't that much, but one "dungeon", where you are trapped instead a robot's head, the damned if you do part just struck me as being really cool). I've probably finished this game at least 50 times (though probably not in the last 10 years)

Arena was flawed, but was really the first open world CRPG that I can remember, setting the formula that all other Elder Scrolls followed (mostly badly)

Ultima IV's virtue system actually affected my personality. I tried to live up to them.

Questron was a Ultima knockoff, but a lot of fun

Mass Effect though technically flawed, was the first space RPG that really felt like it was a space RPG to me.

KOTOR was the first star wars RPG. Big fan of the pen and paper game, while this didn't use the original rules (but the d20 ones) it still was pretty cool.

The Bard's Tale was not my first Computer RPG, but the first one I ever beat. First one in my high school to beat it. (Which tells you how old I am)

Curse of the Azure Bonds was the second implementation of the AD&D rules by SSI, under their Gold Box line. Probably the best, I think as the plot was somewhat non-linear. You had to get rid of these tattos on you 1 by 1, but you could do them in any order (mostly), IIRC.

1. Chrono Trigger
2. Dragon Quest VIII
3. Final Fantasy VI
4. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
5. Breath of Fire 3
6. Valkyria Chronicles
7. Xenogears
8. Baldur's Gate II
9. Earthbound
10. Tales of Phantasia - Hidden Gem

Brinbe

Haven't played JRPGs in a long-while, tbh, but I'll give it a shot.

1. Planescape: Torment
2. Fallout 3
3. Fallout
4. Morrowind
5. FF VI
6. Chrono Trigger
7. Earthbound
8. Xenogears
9. Suikoden 2
10. Mass Effect 2

Maccas

Planescape: Torment
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Arcanum
Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
Vampire: Bloodlines
Chrono Trigger
Deus Ex
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Knights of the Old Republic
Diablo

No underrated ones, my taste is just too generic.

Edited for Zelda inclusion

Starbeh

Neo Member
In no particular order except for #1

1. Demon's Souls

The World Ends with You
Disgaea
Valkyria Chronicles
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VI
Skies of Arcadia
Tales of Symphonia
Phantasy Star Online
Morrowind

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Einbroch said:
5. Ragnarok Online *Hidden Gem*

I don't think I've ever... laughed as much as had while playing Ragnarok Online. An MMO? On my all-time RPG list? Gasp! Sure, the game was grindy. Sure, the game had glitches. Sure, the game wasn't the best to look at. Do I care? No. There are two reasons why this game is above so many others in my collection: the music and the friends. First, the music. On par with Final Fantasy VI and Secret of Mana, this soundtrack has some of the catchiest, most memorable songs ever produced. If you haven't heard them, check them out on youtube. In fact, three of the games songs are on my Zune's most played list. They're that good.

Finally, the friends. I met so many amazing people in this game. While I only keep in touch with two or three of them regularly, they always stick in my mind. They got me through my father's passing, and with them I shared some amazing moments. For that reason alone, this game will always have a place on my top 5 list.

Well, your username makes sense, at least. :D

My top RPGs:

Shining Force 1
Shining Force 2
Valkyria Chronicles
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy Tactics A2
Skies of Arcadia
Tales of Symphonia
Final Fantasy XII

Edgeward

Suikoden II - It's amazing how a game can have so many characters and make a majority of them interesting and likable, all the while creating a world and history that makes your adventure a small part in a much grander scheme.

Demon's Souls - An experience like no other. A game that only gets more fun the more deeper in the game you get and understand what isn't known at first. And possesses a tension that is like no other game I've played.

Dragon Age Origins - KOTOR is fun but I can't replay that game like I do with DA. The combat is much more easier to control, the dialogue is more expansive, and it isn't restricted to a simple matter of being real good or evil. While it's story is not that unique, I feel more closer to the characters as they have great banter and personalities far more endearing. And Morrigan is one of the more interesting characters because as much time I spent with her, I still don't know and yet feel I do know everything about her.

Chrono Trigger - There is not one thing it does spectacularly well yet, it does everything with a level of polish that makes the journey and subsequent replays a fun ride. It's by the numbers, but damn if it isn't done well. The level of detail put into the game helps it retain it's charm to this day.

Final Fantasy Tactics - The only SRPG that I can say I truly love is possibly my fave FF. The deep and intricate plot with a job system that hasn't been matched with it's level of customization and variety, this is a game I've sank 100+ hours gladly just to get unnecessary items/jobs (ie Dark Knight).

Persona 4 - A modern day RPG that like Chrono Trigger took many of the annoyances of RPGs and improved them, all wrapped up in characters that are severely flawed initially that you help shape to become better people. It's an extremely involving character driven RPG that makes you feel like you are hanging out with these people rather than watching a great anime.

Dragon Quest V - Games have tried to tell a story that spans generations, but few can't compare to DQV. A game that puts lesser emphasis on the end is more about the journey. DQ tells less about saving the world and is more about becoming a man.

Xenogears - Flawed is the first thing that comes to mind when I think about this game. Then I'm reminded just how ambitious the game was. It had a vast amount of lore and history not seen in an JRPG, a story that spanned centuries and was the first to make me feel it had an epic scale. Plus mechs. Giant mechs.

The World Ends with You - It's not a top game but it's essential because of it's uniqueness. There really isn't anything like it. A detailed representation of Shibuya, and the japanese culture with story that manages to say outright it's lesson yet doesn't feel like it's bashing you over the head at the same time. And the only main character is a jerk and then redeems himself that actually does make you like him in the end.

Diablo II - Loot. Mad loot.

I put more emphasis on characters and story because that's what I mainly look for in RPGs and why I loved it in the first place. But all mentioned have solid or stellar combat mechanics in place.

Nert

My taste in RPG's is fairly mainstream, with a general preference towards games that mix more "action-y" elements into the RPG formula.

1) Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (This game is genuinely funny, and the simplified, reflex-based combat made every battle enjoyable; try beating this game without leveling up your health stat at all for a unique challenge)
2) Final Fantasy Tactics
3) Mass Effect 2
4) Fallout 3
5) The World Ends With You (Hidden gem, if you are going by sales figures)
6) Pokemon (Red/Blue)
7) Dragon Quest V
8) Final Fantasy VII
9) Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
10) World of Warcraft

Natetan

Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy Tactics
Ogre battle
Earthbound

and if we expand the definition slightly

Soul Blazer

Those are all the essential ones to me.

• Demon's Souls
  • The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
  • Final Fantasy Tactics
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • Quest for Glory: So You Want to Be a Hero
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
  • Suikoden II
  • Valkyrie Profile
  • Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines

MCX

Banned
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross
Pokémon Red/Blue
FF VII
FF IX
Grandia
Grandia II
Zelda: Link's Awakening
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Phantasy Star Online

TheYanger

Chrono Trigger
Fallout 2
Arcanum (Hidden gem!)
Wild ARMs (The psx original. All the rest stink)
Final Fantasy 4
Final Fantasy 6
Mass Effect
Knights of the Old Republic
Diablo 2
Phantasy Star 4

Phoenix's Rage

Neo Member
I tried pulling from a variety of series:

1. Panzer Dragoon Saga --> This game needs to be on more lists.
2. Shining Force III (Scenario 1-3)
3. Suikoden II
4. Skies of Arcadia
5. Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete/Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete
6. Chrono Trigger
7. Final Fantasy VI
8. Dragon Quest VIII
9. Tales of Vesperia
10. Secret of Mana

(Not in any particular order of preference)

Big honorable mentions to the other entries in the above series and to SMT, Grandia, Phantasy Star, Golden Sun, Fire Emblem, BioWare, etc....

No, I won't count strategy games as RPGs. They aren't. (and "SRPGs" are strategy games, not RPGs.)

Strategy games are my favorite genre, so if I included them this list would look quite different, but they aren't, no matter if they include some RPG elements.

Also I'm not counting Zelda games.

1. Planescape: Torment (PC) - The best RPG ever, hands down.

2. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn / Throne of Bhaal (PC) - The second best, and still unmatched by anything Bioware has done since.

3. Baldur's Gate / Tales of the Sword Coast(PC) - Almost as great as the first game, and still one of the all-time greats. The Infinity Engine that powers these games is my favorite RPG engine ever. The BG games require a lot of strategic thinking, which is exactly how I like it...

4. Skies of Arcadia / Skies of Arcadia Legends (DC/GC) - for some reason I've always loved this game... it just has so much charm, and is a lot of fun to play too. It's got a great sense of adventure and a light tone that is a welcome change from all those other dark RPGs out there. Good graphical style too.

5. Quest for Glory I : So You Want To Be A Hero / Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness (tie) (PC) - maybe it seems cheap, but I really can't decide between these two... they're both just such exceptional games! QFG is one of the best series ever. They're brilliant action-adventure-RPGs, with lots of influence from all three of those genres to form a unique mix you'll only find in QFG. They have great, funny writing, good plots, continuity between titles, simple but fun combat, multiple paths, and more.

6. Guild Wars (and followup campaigns, addon, etc) - my third most played game ever after Starcraft and Warcraft III. Amazing, beautiful, incredibly fun, deep, complex... just an outstanding game, and the other campaigns are just as great. I can go back and play it now and love it as much as ever.

7. Neverwinter Nights 2 / Mask of the Betrayer / Storm of Zehir (PC) -- though going just on story MotB might place in second... this is an amazing game, I could easily rank it as high as fourth with no problem. Ordering the titles below the top three is quite difficult. Anyway, it's a good game, I just don't like the engine quite as much as the Infinity Engine. Too much automation here you have to diable, the camera can be pretty annoying, the first game's plot is mediocre, etc...

9. Wizards & Warriors (PC) - hidden gem - I've done some long posts on how much I love this game before so I won't again right now, but it's just an amazing, amazing game, and far too few people played it... W&W is a traditional dungeon-crawling PC RPG in the Wizardry style, but somewhat newer and updated. It's buggy and incomplete, but what's there is just amazing stuff. The dungeons are some of the best ever, and the music outstanding. The dungeons are the real star of this game, and they stand out.

8. Riviera: The Promised Land (WSC/GBA/PSP) - Fantastic, innovative game that is both traditional and very different at the same time. It is a great game, and my favorite handheld RPG too. Oh, I've only played it for GBA.

10. Lunar 2: Eternal Blue (SCD/PSX/SAT) Maybe that should be Fallout instead of Lunar 2, I'm not sure... it's close. So many great games to consider... which is why I won't try to list honorable mentions. There'd be too many to consider, and I'd want to list everything I considered. :) Anyway, Lunar 2 is a fantastic game, and is definitely my favorite 16-bit console RPG. (I've never played the 32-bit remake; I do have Lunar 1 for PSX, but not Lunar 2.)

I'm not 100% happy with this list, but oh well, it's good enough. These are all games I like a lot, certainly.

1.)Knights of the Old Republic II: Although the original is much more highly regarded, I felt the overall story and themes were much darker in the sequel. The ability to corrupt your companions and revealing their dark pasts is something I wish more rpg's would have (and I don't mean just hardening). Overall, the entire game just felt bad

2.)Dragon Age: Origins: Despite some balancing issues, DA has an almost perfect combat system with some of the best characters I've encountered in an rpg. The banter brings so much depth and character to a cliche, albeit fun, story.

3.)Final Fantasy IX:Everything good about the 8-bit Final Fantasy's, but in 3D. The art design and soundtrack are timeless.

4.)Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind: A game that literally throws you into a world, leaves you some clues, and leaves the rest up to you. The mystery of the Dweomer, Daedric Princes, Ashlanders. Knowing almost every dungeon in Morrowind has its own story and a place in the world made the Copy/Paste dungeons of Oblivion so disappointing.

5.)Planescape: Torment
6.)Chrono Trigger
7.)Xenogears
8.)Dragon Quest VIII
9.)Final Fantasy IV
10.)Final Fantasy XII: I have this peculiar feeling that if this didn't have the Final Fantasy moniker, this would be considered an absolute classic of the genre. At certain points, this is the absolute best of the series, but the forced jrpg cliches hold it back. Dammit Square, Vaan and Penelo did not belong in this game!

No order:

Demon's Souls (PS3)
Secret of Mana (SNES)
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PC)
Fallout 3 (PC)
Final Fantasy X (PS2)
Dragon Age: Origins (PC)
Dragon Quest VIII (PS2)
Diablo 2 (PC)
Neverwinter Nights (PC)
Legacy of the Wizard (NES) Hidden gem. Game was really hard for me as a kid, too. Had to come back to it when I was older (14ish) to actually beat it.

Honorable Mention:
The Legend of Zelda (NES)
Pirates! (NES) -- if it counts
Radiata Stories (PS2)

Pretty sure the Mass Effect games would be on my list if I'd played them. Hope to get the chance later in the year once I make it through my backlog...

readleeb

Neo Member
First of all, this is a list of games I'd deem "essential" based on how crucial they are to the improvement of the genre insofar as comparing them to anything released in the future. I think that these are the RPGs by which all others should be judged for specific reasons. If a game is released that ever combines the traits that I point out in these games or improves upon one of them then I'd be very pleased.

1. Planescape Torment -
A unique world and unparalleled writing are what make this game stand out from other RPGs. The most memorable things to me about this game are the interesting conversations with NPCs and the philosophical story that engage you further and further into the game's world.

2. Final Fantasy Tactics -
This is the best example of a class system in any RPG/SRPG out there. I'm not a fan of simplifying or slimming down the class system as many games have these days (ex: going from Morrowind to Oblivion.) If you're going to give a player control over his character(s) progression then take it to the max like FFT.

3. The Last Remnant -
Forget the story, forget the VA, forget whatever you want to about this game but please remember how great the turn based battle system is. If only you could have 16 of your characters in the fights in FFVI or the Suikoden games. Not that those games aren't wonderful the way they are, but the group customization and scale of the fights in TLR are hopefully things it becomes recognized for and future RPGs look at in order to improve.

4. Lunar II: Eternal Blue -
If you've got to have VA in your game or want to make that typical RPG "save the world" story memorable then look at this game for inspiration. I can't think of a game that has made me smile as much as this one.

5. Arcanum -
Again an "if you've got to have it" thing again, but this time for character affinity. Most games do good and evil, but Arcanum does magic vs. technology. Sure it has good an evil decisions you can make, but those are just part of the great writing that comes along with it. Good and evil are too grey to be put on a 2-way scale, as can be seen by games with stories such as this.

6. Diablo 2 -
Item system. That's pretty much all I have to say about that. If you're going to have items in games then think about how Diablo did it and question whether it's better or not. Yea there are D2 clones out there like Titan Quest, but I still think Diablo's item system is superior to TQ's.

Ah too much thinking... how about I just list my honorable mentions :p

FFVI, Suikoden II, Baldur's gate 2, Fallout 1/2, Valkyrie Profile, Morrowind, Lunar SSS, Valkyria Chronicles, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, Harvest Moon 64, Persona 3/4

Playing Mass Effect 2 right now and loving it so far

Grandia**********************************************************
Chrono Cross
Persona 2: Innocent Sin
Dragon Quest V
Xenogears
Wild Arms 2
Lufia II
Dragon Quest VII
Suikoden
Terranigma

Honestly, I think Grandia is the pinnacle of JRPGs for me. I'll never find a game that I enjoy playing so much I have to keep myself from replaying it on a monthly basis.

jiien

No particular order, except for the first two, which are on the same level.

Valkyrie Profile 2 - I know many people didn't like this one, but goddamn, this game is perfect to me. One of the few RPGs where I grinding because I wanted to, not to simply level up for the sake of progression. I ended up being way to overpowered for the end game because I just had way too much fun entering battles. Also my favorite mythology by far.
Final Fantasy Tactics - No need to explain myself, as others have already, but SRPG done right. Far better than any other SRPG previously, and since. And perfection still yet to be repeated, unfortunately.

Ragnarok Online - An MMO, but definitely the one game I have dumped more time into than any other RPG. Destroyed my first year of college. Totally worth it. As someone mentioned earlier, the music was some of the best I've ever heard in a game, and it was all about the community.
Final Fantasy IX - Loved the skill learning system.
Lufia: The Legend Returns - Mostly nostalgia backing this one, but I loved the characters.
Valkyrie Profile - Sequel to one of my favorite games, so even though not the same, still damn awesome.
The Legend of Dragoon - Also mostly nostalgia backing this one (I know many, many people hated it), but I loved the character archetypes, and the timing required for attacks. Successful completion of those timing sequences led to unlocking new attacks. So awesome. One of the earlier RPGs I ever played, and actually played with two friends. My first ever gaming marathon (we each played a different character in the battles, perfecting our own character's combos).
Link's Awakening - First 'RPG' I ever played. First 'RPG' I played ten times in a row, memorized exactly what to do all the way through. Could play through the full game in a day, without dying, played it so much.
Demon's Souls - Awesome experience, most atmospheric game I've ever played.
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones - One of my earliest forays into SRPGs, which is now my favorite genre (ultimately thanks to FFT). I still love the idea that every character is unique, non-generic, and could be lost forever.

*Still thinking about them, but these will do for now.

peakish

I need to start playing pre-1998 RPG:s sometime.

- Diablo 2: Better balanced and more varied than the first (the first has way better athmosphere though), it's the epitome of ARPG:s.

- Divine Divinity: One of few western ARPG:s that arent Diablo clones, Divine Divinity is huge, with a lot of interesting variations on a simple formula. Great quest design as well.

- Fallout: It tried to emulate pen and paper RPG:s on a computer, combining an interesting setting with good quest design. Has a lot of flaws but does quite a few things better than most other modern RPG:s. It's not as humour heavy as people seem to think either, played mostly straight.

- Arcanum: Tried to follow up on the Fallout formula of creating a mostly open ended adventure, did this much better than has been done ever since and probably better than Fallout itself. Freedom in quest solutions instead of freedom of movement (á la Elder Scrolls games). Unpolished but more imaginative than anything since.

- Planescape: Torment: Great Scott, Chris Avellone knows how to write unique and interesting characters. Better and worse in about equal parts to Mask of the Betrayer.

- Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer: Great Scott, Chris Avellone knows how to write unique and interesting characters. Better and worse in about equal parts to Planescape.

- Baldur's Gate 2: Huuuuge and much better than the overrated first game.

- Mother 3: Avoids a lot of JRPG:s clichés that I'm bored with, really funny.

- Chrono Trigger: I remember it being a great and varied experience.

1. Final Fantasy VII
2. Chrono Cross
3. Vagrant Story
4. Final Fantasy X
5. Demon's Souls
6. Final Fantasy VI
7. Final Fantasy VIII (yes, I'm a FF whore)
8. Deus Ex
9. Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete
10. Dragon Age Origins

Final Fantasy Tactics
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Suikoden II
Demon's Souls
Valkyria Chronicles
Deus Ex
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Final Fantasy VI
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
The Witcher

ultron87

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 - Personal Favorite.
The World Ends With You - The most unique RPG I've ever played.
Final Fantasy X - It does everything right.
Final Fantasy VI - Old classic.
Crono Trigger - Old classic 2.
Xenosaga Episode 3: Also Sprach Zarathustra - Amazing way to finish a series.
Skies of Arcadia: Legends - Pure unadulterated fun.
World of Warcraft - The one and only online RPG you need.

Edit: Knights of the Old Republic - Best twist, awesome gameplay. Set up format for many awesome Bioware games to come.

Might add more, but this is pretty good so far.

Althoran

Xenogears - Great story and fun playing with mechs and the combo system
Planescape Torment - Great characters and great story. One of the best RPGs ever.
Final Fantasy XII - I came for the story and stayed for the gameplay. Incredible gameplay. Hunts are the best side quest I played in a long time.
Knights of the Old Republic - a Star Wars RPG. And it is good too.
Demons Souls - difficult but rewarding once you beat the bosses. Not much story but great gameplay and scary bosses.

1. Baldur's gate
2. Final Fantasy VII
3. Secret of Mana
4. Demon's souls
5. Planescape torment
6. Terranigma
7. Final Fantasy XII
8. Fallout
9. Vagrant story
10. Lufia II

Neckbeard69

Neo Member
From the top of my head:

1. Dungeon Master
2. Demon's Souls
3. Paper Mario 64
4. World of Warcraft
5. Final Fantasy XII (GAF dammit! Learn to love this game!)
6. Disgaea 3
7. Baldurs Gate 2
8 Vagrant Story

Rebochan

My top ten.

1. Chrono Trigger, and that's in spite of the fan base and a crappy sequel doing everything to stop me from still liking this game.
2. Final Fantasy VI. Same as above, minus the sequel.
3. Final Fantasy VIII. I still come back to this game every year or so and still end up enjoying the crap out of it.
4. Skies of Arcadia. Needs sequel, bad.
5. Illusion of Gaia, I used to play this over and over as a kid. I think it still holds up.
6. Earthbound. Funky pickle!
7. Lufia II. First game to actually make me cry.
8. Persona 4. And that was hard to arrive at because I just flat out love MegaTen games, but I'm a sucker for a character-driven storyline even if that comes at the cost of a more epic storyline.
9. Mass Effect. I'm wavering about putting the sequel here instead, but I haven't quite finished yet. I love the universe, and even in the first game, in spite of its flaws, I played the crap out of it and loved every second. Yes, even the Mako crap.
10. Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete. I loved the first one too, but this seemed to be a deeper game with a stronger plot. Even the annoying Irelandisms that bugged me about Silver Star were significantly toned down, which I like to think means Ireland took some of the flack about the lesser pop culture jokes seriously. The result was just a much better localization over all and a stronger game.

AkuMifune

Banned
  1. Fallout 3
  2. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
  3. Dragon Age: Origins
  4. Baldurs Gate II: Throne of Bhaal
  5. Demon's Souls
  6. Planescape: Torment
  7. Mass Effect 2
  8. KOTOR
  9. Final Fantasy VII
  10. Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven