• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analysis: What really happened in Final Fantasy VIII (SPOILERS)

Rebochan

Yasae said:
Still looking for sailors later?

I never bought that Squall died after disc one. The bandages, the fact that characters potentially suffer much worse in battle, everyone is supernaturally resilient etc. It doesn't have enough weight. I don't think I regarded it as any different from Sephiroth slashing Tifa across her entire length. She would have more than likely died from that.. Fast.

Tifa did die. Every time you see Tifa, it's Cloud pretending she's alive and fulfilling his fantasy of her being his girlfriend.

Is it too late to join the Batman: TAS lovefest?

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I'm getting flashbacks to Xenogears discussions back in the day.

Replicant

I actually like the idea of Rinoa is Ultimecia thing (if it's true). I just think it adds an element of tragedy + mystery into the storyline, which would make it more interesting than a simple "love conquers all" theme. Plus, the whole timeline thing was ripe for this kind of sub-story.

So I finally read through the 'analysis' and as I suspected it rested heavily on cherry picking ambigious sections and ignoring a lot of what the game was directly telling the player in favour of 'it was all a dream, we can't trust it' cop out.

A couple of things.

Most players seem to assume that Edea healed Squall to full health for the purpose of interrogation, but why would she? b]Seifer knows that Squall is no great captain from Balamb Garden[/b]. He’s no more privy to top secret information than are the other three. If Edea wanted to know more about SeeD, she should be interrogating Quistis, who’s been a SeeD for three years and who has been teaching SeeDs for one year. Squall has been a SeeD for all of two weeks. Why go through all the effort of killing him just to bring him to full health when he’s obviously a threat to her?

Except Squall was the captain of the mission, or at least the mission that Seifer knew about to help out Rinoa and her group. The whole point of the Sorceress assassination mission was that it was a secret mission thrown together at the last minute because of what had happened in the prior mission that Squall had been leading.

And a big part of him passing the SeeD exam was that Seifer failed it and now Squall outranked him. And you keep going on about Squall being a newly recruited cadet, but he isn't. You argue that everything after disc 1 is wish fulfillment because he goes from a lowly 'cadet' to the commander, but that misrepresents what actually happens to fit. At the beginning of the game (before he 'dies') he becomes a member of SeeD and as far as the game presents it SeeD is the ultimate rank attainable within the Garden, they are the elite squad. You may question why Square didn't choose to flesh out a more complex heirarchy, but they didn't, they clearly and explicitly make SeeD the top rank.

That he becomes the one everyone looks to seems to be partly a mix of circumstance (him leading the mission that sets in motion the sequence of events that results in Edea attacking Balamb Garden) and results (okay it's really the game giving the player challenges to overcome, but Squall gets things done).

Then in the discussing the ending...

We see some shots of the Balamb communications tower, the Ragnarok, and there’s a clip of Rinoa, still blurred, with her hair in the wind. A shot of Seifer pushing Rinoa into Adel goes by, then we see more of the Balamb tower, and a clip of Rinoa reaching to Squall from the parade float.

There’s an explosion, and we see the arch from Deling City under which Squall died. The camera takes us through the arch and we’re back in the ballroom for more blurred face action. There are a lot of images in this section, including Edea from the parade float, Ultimecia, Rinoa in space, the eyes from all the cast members fading into each other, and probably a lot more than that. There’s also a frame from the last moment in disc one, the image of Squall’s eye as he falls from the parade float.

You put a lot of significance into the fact that we see scenes from Disc 1, notably the ballroom scene as though this is proof of Squall's real memories, however you note that we also see things that only occur after that (Ragnarok, Riona in Space, Adel) without offering any explanation as to why they are mixed in with the 'real' memories without the game making any distinction between them. It's a circular argument to say that because you have decided that there is a distinct cut off point that anything before that alluded to in the ending is significant and anything after that isn't.

There is one last shot of Rinoa, floating in space. The glass on her space helmet cracks and sends large pointed shards towards the camera. There is a sound, like someone being struck by a sword. We cut to Squall, eyes wide, a tear escaping him. He throws back his head and is consumed by white.

And now, finally, Squall is dead. We see a white feather fall to the ground, and the screen fades to black. The last ten minutes of the FFVIII ending movie are, in the simplest terms, of “heaven”, or some equivalent thereof.

Okay, so you say that everything after disc 1 is the dying hallucination of Squall? Right up until another point which you have decided, where Squall is now dead, and everything after that is 'heaven'? Why the distinction? Squall is present in both the 'deathbed hallucination' and 'heaven', as are Rinoa, Zell, Seifer, etc. Functionally they are identical, fabrication of a life Squall would have lead had he not 'died'.

Edit: Just before I go to bed, one last thing.

The first disc had a fairly high level of realism despite the fantasy and low sci-fi topics present. The characters were all human, and outside of “monsters” there were no unearthly creatures to be seen. Rinoa had a dog that attacks for her at times, as earthly dogs are known to do. But there weren’t any fluffy feline creatures running around yelling “Laguna! Laguna!”

So pretty much the first thing you do in the game is fight a fire demon thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5gJHPUG0js

It noteworthy here that Ifrit appears to be a sentient, intelligent creature capable of speech, which I would argue makes him more than a 'monster'. Also excluding all the numerous fantasy creatures you encounter from the beginning of the game seems to be once again cherry picking only that which supports your theory in the face of vast amounts of evidence in the game that upfrontedly (if that isn't a word it should be) contradicts it.

LegatoB

Dragona Akehi said:
The problem with this theory is that in reality the Final Fantasy writing team has all the subtlety of an M4 Sherman Tank. Were Squall to have died, you can bet the player would have been beaten about the head with that explicit fact dozens of times.

Not to single you out in particular, but I've seen a lot of posts along these lines in the thread, and I feel it's worth stopping for a moment to examine why this form of argumentation is irrelevant to developing and discussing an interpretation of the literary work Final Fantasy VIII.

As I see it, this argumentation asserts three points:
1) That there is a single, "correct" interpretation of a literary work.
2) This "correct" interpretation is the one supported by the author(s) of the work.
3) It is possible to determine, with certainty, the position of the author(s) by examining the work itself as well as other works, communiques or biographical details.

All three of these points are total bunk. I could go on at great length to describe this in detail, but I need not, as Barthes has already done so. If you are lazy, please consult the Wikipedia entry on his essay "Death of the Author;" selected quotations are provided below for easy reference.

Roland Barthes said:
The Author, when we believe in him, is always conceived as the past of his own book: the book and the author take their places of their own accord on the same line, cast as a before and an after: the Author is supposed to feed the book — that is, he pre-exists it, thinks, suffers, lives for it; he maintains with his work the same relation of antecedence a father maintains with his child. Quite the contrary, the modern writer (scriptor) is born simultaneously with his text; he is in no way supplied with a being which precedes or transcends his writing, he is in no way the subject of which his book is the predicate; there is no other time than that of the utterance, and every text is eternally written here and now.

[...]

Roland Barthes said:
We know that a text does not consist of a line of words, releasing a single "theological" meaning (the "message" of the Author-God), but is a space of many dimensions, in which are wedded and contested various kinds of writing, no one of which is original: the text is a tissue of citations, resulting from the thousand sources of culture. [...] succeeding the Author, the writer no longer contains within himself passions, humors, sentiments, impressions, but that enormous dictionary, from which he derives a writing which can know no end or halt: life can only imitate the book, and the book itself is only a tissue of signs, a lost, infinitely remote imitation.

[...]

Roland Barthes said:
Once the Author is gone, the claim to "decipher" a text becomes quite useless. To give an Author to a text is to impose upon that text a stop clause, to furnish it with a final signification, to close the writing. This conception perfectly suits criticism, which can then take as its major task the discovery of the Author (or his hypostases: society, history, the psyche, freedom) beneath the work: once the Author is discovered, the text is "explained:' [...]

[...]

Roland Barthes said:
In this way is revealed the whole being of writing: a text consists of multiple writings, issuing from several cultures and entering into dialogue with each other, into parody, into contestation; but there is one place where this multiplicity is collected, united, and this place is not the author, as we have hitherto said it was, but the reader: the reader is the very space in which are inscribed, without any being lost, all the citations a writing consists of; the unity of a text is not in its origin, it is in its destination[...] we know that to restore to writing its future, we must reverse its myth: the birth of the reader must be ransomed by the death of the Author.

Curufinwe

ElFly said:
the Laguna dreams all the team is having are not addressed at ALL in this explanation, as neither is what had happened to Edea and Seifer.

Yeah, the Laguna dreams really need to explained.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
LegatoB said:
Not to single you out in particular, but I've seen a lot of posts along these lines in the thread, and I feel it's worth stopping for a moment to examine why this form of argumentation is irrelevant to developing and discussing an interpretation of the literary work Final Fantasy VIII.

As I see it, this argumentation asserts three points:
1) That there is a single, "correct" interpretation of a literary work.
2) This "correct" interpretation is the one supported by the author(s) of the work.
3) It is possible to determine, with certainty, the position of the author(s) by examining the work itself as well as other works, communiques or biographical details.

All three of these points are total bunk. I could go on at great length to describe this in detail, but I need not, as Barthes has already done so. If you are lazy, please consult the Wikipedia entry on his essay "Death of the Author;" selected quotations are provided below for easy reference.
All the same, one should still ask oneself one question while developing their own personal truths here.

Does this add anything to the story?

In the Squall is Dead notion, you've basically reduced the entire story to "It was all a dream." which really brings nothing worthwhile to the table. People arguing that the writers weren't smart enough to piss on the reader in this fashion are crediting the wrong end of the intelligence scale.

In Ultimecia = Riona mad with grief from "teh futrue" you have her actively trying to kill her past self and Squall. How does this make the story better?

LegatoB

Freshmaker said:
All the same, one should still ask oneself one question while developing their own personal truths here.

Does this add anything to the story?

In the Squall is Dead notion, you've basically reduced the entire story to "It was all a dream." which really brings nothing worthwhile to the table. People arguing that the writers weren't smart enough to piss on the reader in this fashion are crediting the wrong end of the intelligence scale.
"It was all a dream" is only an undesirable conclusion if there's no value in the experience of the dream. I personally find the exploration of the final fantasy of a dying young man, desperately attempting to explain and find meaning in his brief existence, to be both gripping and significant. Perhaps all the more so for how unexpected this meditation was.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I don't know, I didn't stop playing FF8 because of the plot, just because I got bored of it. I don't think this would of made me any less bored.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
LegatoB said:
"It was all a dream" is only an undesirable conclusion if there's no value in the experience of the dream. I personally find the exploration of the final fantasy of a dying young man, desperately attempting to explain and find meaning in his brief existence, to be both gripping and significant. Perhaps all the more so for how unexpected this meditation was.
It hardly matters if he's just making up a bunch of shit, and it's all going to be flushed down the toilet the instant he dies regardless. There's no resolution, no growth, and no point. Do I care if he dies happy or sad? Eh. Not really.

LegatoB said:

But, and I only touched on this earlier, we have no way of knowing what is and isn't significant. In more obvious examples of the 'it was all a dream' story we know the limits of the reality that has been stepped outside of because it is our own. Here the audience has no idea what elements are based on his reality and what are pure imagination. We know that Squall's reality is very fantastical, so we don't know it's limits. Because of this, all this interpretation serves to do is cast the story in a muddier light and the only 'insight' we're given into Squall is the same that the game gives under a straightforward reading.

20zr43l.png

67t79j.png

ape80j.png

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Rebochan said:
Tifa did die. Every time you see Tifa, it's Cloud pretending she's alive and fulfilling his fantasy of her being his girlfriend.

Is it too late to join the Batman: TAS lovefest?

The B:TAS party never, ever stops

LegatoB

chicken_ramen said:
But, and I only touched on this earlier, we have no way of knowing what is and isn't significant. In more obvious examples of the 'it was all a dream' story we know the limits of the reality that has been stepped outside of because it is our own. Here the audience has no idea what elements are based on his reality and what are pure imagination. We know that Squall's reality is very fantastical, so we don't know it's limits. Because of this, all this interpretation serves to do is cast the story in a muddier light and the only 'insight' we're given into Squall is the same that the game gives under a straightforward reading.
I meant "significant for the player," e.g. what I as a viewer/participant get out of the experience.

bathala said:
Occam's razor - simplest explanation tends to be the best one.

this is like that metal gear theory
Not sure if Occam's razor applies to videogame fantasy stories, though I can't help but think that simpler more logical theory is that Squall was imagining all these fantastical situations in the moments before his death.

What is the Metal Gear theory?

Atilac

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned. But at one point in time, there was a great debate about whether or not Rinoa Heartilly was actually Ultimecia. There was evidence supporting this.

1) Witches never die. unless they are killed; which causes their killer to become a Witch.
2) Squall tells Rinoa about meeting in the field, the same field Ultimecia's castle is hovering over.
3) Ultimecia summons a monster to attack you during the finally confrontation, the summon is named after Squall's ring (I named mine MagaBeast, a spelling error when trying to type Magma Beast. That monster was named MagaBeast)
4) One of the ending scenes (During the acid trip-like sequence) they animate Rinoa wearing Ultimecia's makeup.

Now bare with me; it is never explained why Ultimecia is trying to go back in time. One theory was that she was trying to see Squall again. Rinoa is immortal, Squall isn't: he died of old age, she becomes lonely and saddened by his death, over many years her grief eventually drives her insane. The reason she attacks herself and Squall is because so much time has passed she doesn't remember what he looks like, or is so crazy she doesn't truly comprehend what is happening. Ultimecia wasn't trying to destroy the world, she was mentally fractured and disparately trying to return to better times.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Atilac said:
Really? i can't remember any of it.
Basically, it goes like this.

Ultimecia was a normal girl until the sorceress took her over. At some point SeeD determined that she was going to become Ultimecia and imprisoned her in an attempt to prevent Ultimecia from destroying time.

Ultimecia hadn't done anything wrong at that point, and grew to resent her captors and the way they viewed her as that world's Hitler. She slowly went nuts until she finally broke out of confinement, killing the future SeeDs.

Since she was basically screwed because of historical record, she decided the best way to punish everyone was to destroy the timeline that had already decided that she was going to ruthlessly butcher everyone. So she used the time device modeled on Ellome's powers to travel back in time and attack what she perceived to be the root cause of all her problems... Which in this case was history itself.

That's why she was trying to achieve "time kompression".

This is all brought up in Ultimecia's speeches and other comments, and the doctor expands upon her core plan when you reach Esthar.

Atilac

Freshmaker said:

Ultimecia was a normal girl until the sorceress took her over. At some point SeeD determined that she was going to become Ultimecia and imprisoned her in an attempt to prevent Ultimecia from destroying time.

Ultimecia hadn't done anything wrong at that point, and grew to resent her captors and the way they viewed her as that world's Hitler. She slowly went nuts until she finally broke out of confinement, killing the future SeeDs.

Since she was basically screwed because of historical record, she decided the best way to punish everyone was to destroy the timeline that had already decided that she was going to ruthlessly butcher everyone. So she used the time device modeled on Ellome's powers to travel back in time and attack what she perceived to be the root cause of all her problems... Which in this case was history itself.

That's why she was trying to achieve "time kompression".

This is all brought up in Ultimecia's speeches and other comments, and the doctor expands upon her core plan when you reach Esthar.
Rinoa is a witch, unless someone kills her and claims her powers she's going forward in time, ultimately making her Ultimecia.
If she wasn't Ultimecia, maybe the original Ultimecia screwed up the past and Rinoa became the new Ultimecia. I do remember the time compression, the attempt to bridge a direct link from the past with the future? Rinoa would seek this because she would see Squall again.

Why would Ultimecia summon a monster from Squalls ring? Squall gave that ring to Rinoa. Christ this is too complicated to process at 2 in the morning. Isn't it possible that Ultimecia/hitler triggered Ultimecia/Rinoa eventually causing the latter to override the former?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Atilac said:
Rinoa is a witch, unless someone kills her and claims her powers she's going forward in time, ultimately making her Ultimecia.
No. Witches have normal lifespans.

If she wasn't Ultimecia, maybe the original Ultimecia screwed up the past and Rinoa became the new Ultimecia. I do remember the time compression, the attempt to bridge a direct link from the past with the future? Rinoa would seek this because she would see Squall again.
That's not what Ultimecia was trying to do. She was trying to destroy time. Her only real interest in time travelling was to go back far enough to destroy all creation.

Why would Ultimecia summon a monster from Squalls ring?
She didn't really. She pulled Squall's concept of the most powerful GF from his mind and manifested it. She wasn't keeping it around as a pet or anything.

Squall gave that ring to Rinoa. Christ this is too complicated to process at 2 in the morning. Isn't it possible that Ultimecia/hitler triggered Ultimecia/Rinoa eventually causing the latter to override the former?
The way the game script runs, Ultimecia is angry because she was held without cause and hated/feared for no good reason.

Immortal Riona would not be surprised by this. The R = U theory actually makes Ultimecia less tragic and less interesting.

ElFly

Freshmaker said:

Since she was basically screwed because of historical record, she decided the best way to punish everyone was to destroy the timeline that had already decided that she was going to ruthlessly butcher everyone.

That's what the FAQ writer deduces, but all that is not really supported by any in game evidence.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
ElFly said:
That's what the FAQ writer deduces, but all that is not really supported by any in game evidence.
I wouldn't know. I haven't read the FAQ. That's just what I derived from playing the game a few times.

You keep saying this isn't supported by anything in the game, but here's what I used to construct Ultimecia's timeline:

In her speech before the assassination attempt:

Ultimecia as Edea said:
...Lowlifes. ...Shameless filthy wretches. How you celebrate my
ascension with such joy. Hailing the very one whom you have condemned
for generations. Have you no shame? What happened to the evil, ruthless
sorceress from your fantasies? The cold-blooded tyrant that slaughtered
countless men and destroyed many nations? Where is she now? She stands
before your very eyes to become your new ruler. HAHAHAHAHA.

She's clearly angry about being condemned unjustly here. The speech makes almost no sense if you try to constrain it solely to the context at the time.

Then when Irvine's shot does nothing, and Squall goes to attack her.

Ultimecia said:
Edea: ...A SeeD. ...Planted in a run-down Garden.

Edea: ...The accursed SeeD.
She hates SeeD. She knows they're fated to kill her, but she doesn't know why SeeD is dedicated to that task, or how they can pull it off.

Which is why she has Seifer interrogate Squall.

Seifer: I'm sure you can imagine what happens now.

Squall: ...What do you want?

Seifer: Tell me what SeeD is. Edea demands to know.

Squall: SeeD... (...A code name for Balamb Garden's elite mercenary force...
SeeD... Combat specialists...) (......???) ...Don't you already know?

Seifer: I'm not a SeeD. There must be some kind of secret you're given
when you become a SeeD!

Squall: There's nothing. Even if there were, you think I'd tell you?

Seifer: Well now, Squall. I'll ask you again. What is SeeD? And why do
they oppose the sorceress?

Squall: (SeeD... Oppose the sorceress...?)
This is all Ultimecia acting on incomplete future knowledge. This is why she orders Seifer to hunt down every SeeD and kill them.

Seifer: Excellent. (to Squall) Balamb Garden is to be destroyed on
charges of training SeeDs to oppose the sorceress.

Squall: (...WHAT!?)

Seifer: It's a pity, really. I grew up there, too... But orders are
orders, and Edea wants it destroyed.

Then at the orphanage:
Squall: (This is strange.) (That's right... It was when I was being
tortured by Seifer. He wanted to know what SeeD was.) (Matron should
know...) (But Matron is Sorceress Edea. There's no denying that.) (What
does this all mean?)

The Garden fight presents further evidence that Ultimecia is working from an incomplete historical record, but she knows someone from SeeD will kill her:
Edea: So the time has come. You're the legendary SeeD destined to face
me?

Squall: (What is she talking about?)

Edea: I must say that I am impressed. ...An impressive nuisance. Your
life ends here, SeeD.

Seifer came.

Edea: Worthless fools.

Squall: (You're not our 'Matron'.)

Edea: All SeeD must perish!

Edea actual said:
Edea: ...I have been possessed all this time. I was at the mercy of
Sorceress Ultimecia. Ultimecia is a sorceress from the future. A
sorceress many generations ahead of our time. Ultimecia's objective is
to find Ellone. She is after Ellone's mysterious power. I knew Ellone
very well. Ultimecia is a very fearful sorceress. Her heart is filled
with anger and hate. There was no way I was going to let Ultimecia get
a hold of Ellone. The only thing I could do was... ...Surrender my soul to
Ultimecia and lose control of my mind. That was the only way I could
save Ellone. And the end result... Well, you all know. The sorceress that
appeared in Galbadia was in fact Ultimecia...inside my shell...

Ultimecia's only line you seem to think exists in the entire game said:
Ultimecia: ...SeeD... SeeD......SeeD...... SeeD, SeeD, SeeD! Kurse all SeeDs.
Swarming like lokust akross generations. You disgust me. The world was
on the brink of that ever-elusive 'time compression'. Insolent fools!
Your vain krusade ends here, SeeDs. The price for your meddling is
death beyond death. I shall send you to a dimension beyond your
imagining. There, I will reign, and you will be my slaves for eternity.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Whom shall I exterminate first!? I'll start with you
three!
She really hates SeeD. On top of that, they've just walked through the future and have seen every future SeeD dead. Those were the SeeDs charged with guarding Ultimecia.

Anyway, keep on covering your ears and humming really oud if that floats your boat. I don't really see the support for your claim that the game says nothing about any of this as the quotes I've just provided illustrate. I'm not basing this off a FAQ, not the Ultimania guide. This is all from the game's script. Stuff you find without having to dig at all.

The only thing you have to do to arrive at this is look at the provided quotes than approach Ultimecia's quotes from the perspective of the sorceress.

ElFly

I think that a kind of big plothole, is who in the hell Ellone is.

Her power is one of a kind, never gets any explanation, she is not a sorceress, she was just this random girl WHO CAN SEND PEOPLE INTO THE PAST.

It always struck me as arbitrary.

Ultimecia spent some time inside Rinoa's head while she was unconscious. she more likely than not used Rinoa's memory to manipulate Squall. it's why she uses Griever the guardian force.

ElFly said:

Her power is one of a kind, never gets any explanation, she is not a sorceress, she was just this random girl WHO CAN SEND PEOPLE INTO THE PAST.

That is one thing I was just thinking of an hour ago. How does she receive this power and why? It hurts my head thinking about it because I just played the game through this week and I have no idea why "sis" can send people back in time. Is it ever explained?

Even if I don't understand everything completely I really like stories like this. Every time I go through the game I seem to find something new about it. Kinda like how I enjoy watching films like Mullholland Drive or Inland Empire over and over.

ElFly

GrumpyAlien said:
That is one thing I was just thinking of an hour ago. How does she receive this power and why? It hurts my head thinking about it because I just played the game through this week and I have no idea why "sis" can send people back in time. Is it ever explained?

Even if I don't understand everything completely I really like stories like this. Every time I go through the game I seem to find something new about it. Kinda like how I enjoy watching films like Mullholland Drive or Inland Empire over and over.

Nope.

It's weird, because the witches are given reasonable backstory.

anaron

ElFly said:

The only thing I know about Ellone is that her parents were shot to death in the Sorceress war, and that she was sent to the orphanage around the time Adel was sealed, thats about it : /

About Ultimecia: The game does support this though, just because it's not thrown in your face(well actually it kind of is...) doesn't mean it's not there. Ultimecia makes many comments regarding SeeD and her hatred for them. It's not hard to put two and two together to realize why she hates SeeD.

I agree with Freshmaker, the R=U plot makes the game less interesting and less tragic.

Atilac said:
Now bare with me; it is never explained why Ultimecia is trying to go back in time. One theory was that she was trying to see Squall again. Rinoa is immortal, Squall isn't: he died of old age, she becomes lonely and saddened by his death, over many years her grief eventually drives her insane. The reason she attacks herself and Squall is because so much time has passed she doesn't remember what he looks like, or is so crazy she doesn't truly comprehend what is happening. Ultimecia wasn't trying to destroy the world, she was mentally fractured and disparately trying to return to better times.

^This. If this was the grand reveal, at the end of FF8, I would've loved this game and the character of Rinoa. Realizing that she is Ultimecia and kissing Squall, in the last scene, (knowing full well of what is going to happen in the future) makes it incredibly bittersweet.

Bowflex

The fact that anyone supports Hillary boggles my mind... I have tested between 130-160 on IQ tests
You do know that this is purely a creation of fanfiction and not and actual theory, right? That being said, from here on out this is how I'm going to imagine the game, because its actually a really good idea and ties together all the idiotic bullshit in the latter half of the game. It also adds reason to the sentimental nature of the game (which seemed to exist kind of randomly), magnifying it and making the game even more emotional.

You should apply for a job at Square for scenario writer.

major_killjoy said:
^This. If this was the grand reveal, at the end of FF8, I would've loved this game and the character of Rinoa. Realizing that she is Ultimecia and kissing Squall, in the last scene, (knowing full well of what is going to happen in the future) makes it incredibly bittersweet.

I like this idea too.

anaron

How people find R=U is interesting is beyond me.

So, apparently it's tragic if Rinoa outlives Squall, then goes batshit insane, wants to kill SeeD for NO apparent reason (Yes, no reason whatsoever) remember, she goes to the past not the present. It's a silly idea.

You can say " No she wants the world to suffer with her" but why? That's not the kind of character Rinoa is, and it only makes her character seem even shittier if this happens.

anaron said:

So, apparently it's tragic if Rinoa outlives Squall, then goes batshit insane, wants to kill SeeD for NO apparent reason (Yes, no reason whatsoever) remember, she goes to the past not the present. It's a silly idea.

You can say " No she wants the world to suffer with her" but why? That's not the kind of character Rinoa is, and it only makes her character seem even shittier if this happens.

Maybe she is actually trying to fix things. Time compression, after all, brings her back squall.

My theory is that all the R=U theory haters were at some point teens with a crush on Rinoa, and they can't bear the thought that she turns wacko.

I should know, I used to hate that theory kinda because of that reason :)

Freshmaker said:
Immortal Riona would not be surprised by this. The R = U theory actually makes Ultimecia less tragic and less interesting.

How is it tragic that Ultimecia just wants to kill everyone for no reason? Even if she was sequestered for no good reason (which I don't remember being clearly evidenced by the game, but it has been a loooong while since i last played), do you think it's normal to want to murder THE WHOLE WORLD because of that?!? Plus, killing everyone kinda proves the point of people who actually jailed her, so that thought should her realize she was actually a bitch and then decide it was fair to jail her :p

Hell, that would make her a Uber-bitch in the first place, and therefore certainly not a tragic character.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
harriet the spy said:
How is it tragic that Ultimecia just wants to kill everyone for no reason?
I gave you the reason already. She was unjustly imprisoned (from her perspective) and hated for what she would become. It didn't matter what she did. History had already rendered its judgement on her.

Even if she was sequestered for no good reason (which I don't remember being clearly evidenced by the game, but it has been a loooong while since i last played), do you think it's normal to want to murder THE WHOLE WORLD because of that?!? Plus, killing everyone kinda proves the point of people who actually jailed her, so that thought should her realize she was actually a bitch and then decide it was fair to jail her :p
She's nuts by the time she attempts this. You can't really expect reason from someone pushed past the breaking point.

Hell, that would make her a Uber-bitch in the first place, and therefore certainly not a tragic character.
:lol This compared to immortal Riona getting lonely and deciding to slaughter everyone who ever lived as a kick?

I can't say I ever had a crush on Riona. I dislike the theory for two reasons:

1) It is usually put fourth by people who never figured out Ultimecia's back story. So they cotton to this goofy theory because they think a back story needs to be invented because Ultimecia had no development.
2) Riona killing everything that ever lived because she lost Squall is just fucking stupid.

Since Ultimecia has a supplied back story, and the interpretation I came up with by playing the game on my own matches that of the creators, I think it holds more water than a nonsensical mess that was designed to fill a hole that was already filled.

anaron

harriet the spy said:
How is it tragic that Ultimecia just wants to kill everyone for no reason? Even if she was sequestered for no good reason (which I don't remember being clearly evidenced by the game, but it has been a loooong while since i last played), do you think it's normal to want to murder THE WHOLE WORLD because of that?!? Plus, killing everyone kinda proves the point of people who actually jailed her, so that thought should her realize she was actually a bitch and then decide it was fair to jail her :p

So you're saying, if you were codemned a murdurer before your birth, you wouldn't be fucking pissed off? I mean they write her off like she had already done everything. Do I think it's normal? no, but it's a damn better reason then " omehgod squall u left meh now i hate everyone u all in teh past must feel my wrath ragahhh"

She killed everyone because it was their fault for condemning her for something she hadn't even done yet.

And I'm a girl, so why would I have a crush on Rinoa? :lol

anaron said:

This is exactly why the R=U "theory" is shitty, and by extension why all such "theories" are always shitty.

HEY GUYS WHAT IF INSTEAD OF WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENS IN THE STORY SOME OTHER RANDOM STUFF HAPPENED THAT MADE EVEN LESS SENSE AND WAS WAY STUPIDER

simtmb

I was only 8-9 at the time of playing and finishing FF8, but i refuse to change my views on what happened with the story!

I thought that i THOUGHT i made sense of it back then, but can't remember what sense i thought i made out of it. :lol

I can't believe I am defending this shitty theory with my life! :lol

Freshmaker said:
I gave you the reason already. She was unjustly imprisoned (from her perspective) and hated for what she would become. It didn't matter what she did. History had already rendered its judgement on her.
She's nuts by the time she attempts this. You can't really expect reason from someone pushed past the breaking point.
I know. But, so, what works for Ultimecia doesn't work for Rinoa? Why do we haveto expect reason from Rinoa, esp. if she spend a fucking millenium alone?

:lol This compared to immortal Riona getting lonely and deciding to slaughter everyone who ever lived as a kick?
Hey, I did say maybe she just wanted to be back with Squall. Or maybe she didn't care. Or maybe she wanted to end it all.

To be fair, there are more real-life examples of lovesick people who blow a fuse, take a gun and kill people (remember that asshole who took a gun to a women's gym?), than wrongly convicted people who decide to avenge themselves.

2) Riona killing everything that ever lived because she lost Squall is just fucking stupid.
What a compelling argument.

anaron

I can't believe I am defending this shitty theory with my life! :lol

Don't. It's really not worth any thought.

I know. But, so, what works for Ultimecia doesn't work for Rinoa? Why do we haveto expect reason from Rinoa, esp. if she spend a fucking millenium alone?
Because their reasons are COMPLETELY opposite. One has been codemned for something she hadn't even done yet, the other is lovesick because Boo-fucking hoo she outlived Squall.
Hey, I did say maybe she just wanted to be back with Squall. Or maybe she didn't care. Or maybe she wanted to end it all.
If I recall, someone in the game says that she is trying to create a world where only she can live in(can't remember completely)

To be fair, there are more real-life examples of lovesick people who blow a fuse, take a gun and kill people (remember that asshole who took a gun to a women's gym?), than wrongly convicted people who decide to avenge themselves.
That doesn't make it any less stupid.

Compelling enough, that you could barely respond to it with a good rebuttle?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
harriet the spy said:
Witches aren't immortal. They die of old age like anyone else.

If she wanted to get back to Squall, she didn't need Ellome, and she didn't need to compress time. Also, why exactly was Riona supposed to hate SeeD?

Really? People who perceive themselves as punished for no good reason tend to be fairly violent when they snap. That's pretty much every single spree shooting. That's the professor who shot his co workers because he was denied tenure etc.

Then put more weight on my first reason. It is a stupid theory.

Rahul

Seeing some good discussion here. I just wanted to say (harriet the spy) that I don't discount the potential validity of other interpretations like R=U, but I personally don't agree with it. We looked over it in writing our analysis and felt that it didn't have the evidence to support it. It's fine if other people find value in it, however.

I think LegatoB said it best: Squall's Dead adds value to a lot of things that previously seemed random, and, as some have said, as if the writers were just throwing the kitchen sink at the plot in the second half.

By the way, people accusing me of "making stuff up" (which I admit I did, because how else did this theory come to be) are doing exactly the same thing in the R=U discussion: inventing reasons that characters would or should have done or believed things in support of the R=U scenario. That's fine, but don't go around accusing others of being retarded if you're doing it too ;P

Anaron... I certainly don't give a shit - you won, congratulations! :)

But.. just for the future.

anaron said:
Don't. It's really not worth any thought.
That doesn't make it any less stupid.

Compelling enough, that you could barely respond to it with a good rebuttle?

You can't keep repeating STUPID STUPID STUPID and hope to make any good point.

How can I give a rebuttal to "ITS STUPID DERP"? :) You're being silly. But anyways, it was fun. Time for sleep... oh, btw

the other is lovesick because Boo-fucking hoo she outlived Squall.
you're so stone-hearted :) the theme of the game was love after all!

Witches aren't immortal. They die of old age like anyone else.
See, on the other hand, you're frustrating to discuss with. you just repeat the same points over and over, while not listening to anything being said.
Tell me, please quote my post where I say that witches are immortal, and R=U is actually true?
You can't, because I didn't say this. I say it's an incorrect but cool plot, and putting aside minor issues like immortality (not being mentioned in the game), it's not completely baseless.

Really? People who perceive themselves as punished for no good reason tend to be fairly violent when they snap. That's pretty much every single spree shooting. That's the professor who shot his co workers because he was denied tenure etc.

I don't see the relation. The prof wasn't convicted of something she didn't commit, she was upset because she lost something she wanted (hum hum). People who go on spree shootings seem more to be depressed people who can't handle their situation in society. I can't recall of a single example of a wrongly convicted person who actually snapped. And as i said before, it would kinda make me stop being sorry for them.

anaron

Anaron... I certainly don't give a shit - you won, congratulations! :)

Yay?

You can't keep repeating STUPID STUPID STUPID and hope to make any good point.

How can I give a rebuttal to "ITS STUPID DERP"? :) You're being silly. But anyways, it was fun. Time for sleep... oh, btw
Oh but I've given reasons as to why it's stupid. But I guess you've chosen to ignore them?

you're so stone-hearted :) the theme of the game was love after all!

I love the love in VIII, that doesn't change the fact that Rinoa going insane is laughable and oh "stupid"

See, on the other hand, you're frustrating to discuss with. you just repeat the same points over and over, while not listening to anything being said.
Tell me, please quote my post where I say that witches are immortal, and R=U is actually true?
You can't, because I didn't say this. I say it's an incorrect but cool plot, and putting aside minor issues like immortality (not being mentioned in the game), it's not completely baseless.

You also repeat the same points over. " But she loved him" "but what if she was so in love with him that.." You base your whole point around it being "SHE LOVED SQUALL SO MUCH THAT.." she decided to destroy the world.

I just don't understand how you can still justify this theory and yet, know it's not true, and cannot see how utterly silly it is for someone to destroy their past selves and the world for no reason other then " well I loved him but I outlived him so....DIE"

Top Bottom