• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo acknowledges Nikkei claim, clarifies that it hasn't announced end to Wii U

Richie

There's not even a need to discuss if Nintendo's lying or not here because that quote denies nothing. They're stating a -fact-, which is, yeah, that information didn't come from them. Nowhere does it say it's actually wrong.

I mean it wouldn't make sense for them as a business to confirm the report and say yeah. They're still going to sell wii U's at stores for a while regardless of whether production is over or not. I'm sure they still have plenty of Wii U inventory.

Daft Punk

Banned
J3o6Ho.gif

MMMMMMMMMOMG

Then...where DID the report come from?!
:p
Seems like Nintendo might as well have not answered, since their statement doesn't lend or take credence from Nikkei. The next fiscal year is almost upon us anyway.

Is the headline even accurate? I don't think Nintendo even "denied" the claim; all they said is that it didn't come from them, and that they would continue to produce Wii Us in the near-term, both of which we knew

Oddduck

Nikkei was also right about that Seaman 3DS game.

http://www.destructoid.com/seaman-for-3ds-is-happening-reports-nikkei-222224.phtml
As reported by Nikkei (via andriasang), Nintendo is looking to bring back games from other publishers to the 3DS, including Seaman.

Iwata dismissing Nikkei's rumors of a 3DS Seaman

"By the way," Iwata tweeted, "on Monday there was an inaccurate report online. This sort of thing has continued repeatedly, with no context, self-serving language, and the blurring of truth and fiction. I'm astonished to see gossip magazine techniques being used."

Yoot Saito admits Seaman was in development for 3DS.

When Iwata-san came to ask me to create Seaman for the 3DS, I like to think he was in the same frame of mind as when he first came to visit me at my apartment back in 1999.

This is the fully translated statement with indication production will resume into next quarter and thereafter.

Which means almost nothing, as it isn't a counter to Nikkei's claims, which only said it would cease production some time this year (as in potentially more than 2 quarters out).

But even if Nintendo had said they claimed clarified that production would continue through the end of the year and into next, Nintendo's history of lying to deny Nikkei's claims also would make that claim extremely dubious

Maybe NCL should make an official response to the info from Trev's source while they're at it, because that report "didn't come from them" either ya know.

And wow @ Iwata furiously denying Seaman 3DS only for it to have been true, weird he got so worked up about it especially since it was a project from a friend.

LOL Was just discussing that clip with someone recently, what a great episode.

Ms.Galaxy

Didn't Iwata said that they will continue support with the Wii U after the NX release?

He also said the same about the GBA and DS, and the Gamecube and Wii, and the Wii and Wii U. Point is, never trust him to actually go through with his promises. There's a reason why "Please Understand" is a joke made by many, after the amount of times he failed to deliver his promises.

AdanVC

Awww come on! I like my Wii U but just let it die, Nintendo! My biggest fear now is that NX will not be out his year because Nintendo still thinks Wii U could have another holiday of relevance. :'(

Maybe NCL should make an official response to the info from Trev's source while they're at it, because that report "didn't come from them" either ya know.

And wow @ Iwata furiously denying Seaman 3DS only for it to have been true, weird he got so worked up about it especially since it was a project from a friend.

LOL Was just discussing that clip with someone recently, what a great episode.
Iwata had a passion for denying and hating leaks it seems.

This isn't even an actual denial, as producing Wii Us for "the next quarter and thereafter" and saying "we're not making an announcement about this" could still result in production halting by the end of 2016.

Tripy73

Yup. But that could just mean new games for existing owners to be fair. I still say there is a newer version of wiiu coming.

But can be Nintendo plans to release a Supplemental Computing Device for Wii U Owners as the pattent discoverd at the end of 2015 show it : http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...evice_and_cloud_resources_for_a_gaming_system

And it would not be the first one for Nintendo as for N64 with its extension pack or Nintendo Disk System for Famicom.

Top Bottom