• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Man of Steel - One last one before BvS becomes the new monthly thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerX

Banned
I walked out of the cinema wondering how they got it so wrong. Then I remembered Snyder was directing. A truly awful film.

jph139

People shit on Snyder for MoS - and he deserves his lumps - but at the end of the day it's not the direction that ruined the film, it's the writing. Goyer is a mess.

The plot is poorly constructed. The characters have little depth or conflict. The themes are muddied. The jokes aren't funny. The philosophizing is shallow. The drama has no pathos.

Doesn't matter who you gave that script to, at the end of the day, it would have been a bad movie. Whether Snyder's style salvaged the wreck or plunged it deeper is up to personal taste, I think.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
It always confuses me why people think something has to be well made to be enjoyable. I'm strictly talking about it's composition. Those aspects of film-making can still be somewhat subjective, but much less so than sheer enjoyability.

What you enjoy is up to you, but it's hard to argue Man of Steel is a well made film.

What a condescending piece of shit post. I nean, damn. What kind of discussion do you hope to have here?

Voror

Planning to rematch this with my dad and sister before we see BvS Sunday. I honestly don't remember much of the film as it didn't leave much of an impression so seeing it again should be interesting.

All I can recall is that I really disliked this interpretation of Johnathan Kent, thought the Clark/Lois romance was super rushed and that it was kind of joyless.

I also seem to recall my sister bursting out laughing at one point due to the editing. I think it was them jumping suddenly from the interrogation room to the desert.

I don't have much to compare it to honestly. I've never seen the Reeve films and the only other Superman film I've seen was Returns which I thought was boring with some good moments.

Most of my familiarity with Superman comes from the DCAU version.

MajorTom

Watched it for the first time last night.
I thought it was okay.
Kinda boring.
I really liked the scene near the end though when
superman snaps Zod's neck

My 3D Blu-Ray should be arriving this week. Loved the movie for its visuals. I do agree that there are too many instances where Superman is pushed into a binary choice. And I really didn't like the relationship between Lois and Clark. Otherwise, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Renekton

How did Zod, MILITARY LEADER, get beaten badly in CQC by a flipping scientist.

By the time he faced Superman, you knew he was going to lose.

Dcube

Thought I'd hate it going in, loved it coming out. Not amazing, but a fun action flick. So glad we didn't get gramps' Superman. If they got it wrong, fuck being right.

I liked those two and the Kents more than Superman tbh

And it's not a problem with the character either. I like him in the cartoons and loved the reeves/routh version

Kind of a dour dude in man of Steel

This is what killed him for me. Not sure why he was written that way. It's something I just couldn't get over, and made me dislike HIM the most..in a movie about Superman..😐

JB1981

How did Zod, MILITARY LEADER, get beaten badly in CQC by a flipping scientist.

By the time he faced Superman, you knew he was going to lose.

I guess Kal-El bad better El family battle armor? Idk ... Real answer is Russel Crowe is in the film and probably took the role on the condition that he would be portrayed as an action hero bad-ass, regardless of whether it was in character

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
For me it's the best superman movie. The action is amazing and the fights after just like you would expect a noobie superman to fight and the ending is a good set up for his future "no killing" rule >_>

I know a lot of people don't like it and I acknowledge that it has flaws(like lois). But I really enjoy it.

For me it's the best superman movie. The action is amazing and the fights after just like you would expect a noobie superman to fight and the ending is a good set up for his future "no killing" rule >_>

I know a lot of people don't like it and I acknowledge that it has flaws(like lois). But I really enjoy it.
What turned you off to Lois, if I may ask?

EGM1966

It was one of the most leaden, poorly plotted, muddled and lazily constructed blockbuster films I've seen in a while.

That the marketing team could take Zimmer's rather good OST and cut such terrific trailers never ceases to amaze me.

But the actual film is a shambles. Considering they just too the core plot of Superman the Movie and Superman 2 and stuck it into one film I'd expect them to do a better job that they did.

It looks nice at times, and some of the action is good, but too often the visuals are weakly constructed and the action messy and incoherent spectacle for the sake of it.

Main issues for me (pretty much align with you):
  • thematics are all over the place: the film just exists to exist. With Superman the Movie the tone and direction was clear thematically, how Krypton led to Smallville, Pa Kent's death through to what kind of man Kal El become. MoS is just a mess. None of the characters actually develop at all including Kal El.
  • Many characters are either one note (Zod shouts!) or muddled (Pa Kent, what's your actual point?)
  • Kal El manages to make worst choices pretty much every time as does Zod, etc. Nobody appears to have a brain (actually Diane Lane delivers a decent Martha Kent)
  • None of the characters convince they are who they are (apart from Martha and maybe Faoro. Zod is an elite solider who never behaves like one and loses in combat to a scientist and a farm boy and never once acts like an elite solider

TBH as with most Snyder films I feel he's taking existing material (Superman The Movie/Superman 2/Dark Knight Returns/Dark Knight) and then using elements from them without actually any overall structure or thematic intent. Just assembling blocks (we need a bit on Krypton so we'll redo the scene from Superman the Movie but we need some action so we'll give Zod a bit of action this time around, we need Pa Kent to die.... we need dust up between Zod and Superman... and so on).

It was competently made overall and the score was good but its the definition of mediocre and muddled in total.

I quite enjoy a lot of Man of Steel but yeah it has some stuff I don't like.
Some of it stems from the fact I love the first two Reeve films and that they changed the look of things, which I really think they needed to do to show this was a different universe (possibly something Superman Returns needed to do)

But when it comes down to it, there main two things I didn't like. One, the movie opens on Krypton and then halfway through the film, Russel Crowe recaps the intro with animation (why?).

But what I really, really don't like (not Kevin Costner's silly death, or the stupid Superman is a mass-murdered BS narrative that came out after the film) is Michael Shannon's Zod. Shannon is a fantastic actor, particularly in Boardwalk Empire, but his whiny bitchy consonantly re-iterating his motives just grate. That scene where he announces his presence (which I'n seen many praise) is just so awful and cheesy (to me).

But It's nowhere near as bad as Superman III or IV, Green Lantern, Schumacher Batman and MoS maybe a little better than Dark Knight Rises.

I'll probably rewatch MoS this weekend.

Too long to type out something similar so just gonna quote myself.

After the recent Batman vs Superman trailer, I wanted to watch Man of Steel again and make a thread, but seen as someone else has done it and we have 100 MoS threads already, I'm just gonna post what I'd already written. Also I did warn you.

======================================================================​

Yes, I know most of GAF hates Man of Steel. I’m gonna get both the disclaimer and the inevitable gif out of the way —
This isn’t a post to change your mind. If you’ve come here to shit on it then
Ljn5jF0.gif

Please don't. There are 100 other threads for that, feel free to revive one of those.

If you’ve never liked Superman, this is not a post to endear you to him. If you do like him but don’t like Man of Steel, this is not a post to endear you to it. I’m not hear to argue that “________ was great scene and you should all like it” or “_________ wasn’t as bad as you think it is and here’s why”. What this thread *is* about, is (hopefully objective) discussion of some of the narrative threads from Man of Steel, why I believe they are the way they are, and how I think they will be used for Batman vs Superman.

To start, there is a crucial premise that people need to grasp, prior to watching the film:

Man of Steel is not a movie about “Superman”. Accept this, and internalise it.

”Superman” does not exist yet — and doesn’t by the end of the film either. It is instead, a movie laying the foundation for the "Superman" we know to be built on top of, as well as a foundation for the rest of the upcoming DC films. Man of Steel is instead, a movie about Clark. A guy who doesn't understand why he's so different from everybody else. It’s as much of a look at his search for answers, for his place in the world, and what it is he should be doing as you can fit into 2 hours. All of this is as new to him as it is to the rest of his world.
Note that he is only ever referred to as Superman *once* during the entire film, and during that one scene, he’s not even in it.
I’m not really gonna touch the Krypton stuff as its kind of outside of the scope of the MoS/BvS links I am covering. There are 3-ish main areas I want to go over though:

Grittiness + Realism of DC movies (compared to Marvel) // Origin stories // General comments about the Superman mythos & why that type of Superman doesnt work in today’s climate.
“Superman is what I can do. Clark Kent is who I am” [Lois & Clark, the New Adventures of Superman, (Tempus Fugitive)]​

Characterisation of Superman the man and “Superman” the myth play a large part in how divisive MoS is to people. To understand why, we’ll consider the old debate of who the real Kal-El is? Is Clark merely a disguise Superman uses to conceal himself? Or is Superman a product of Clark Kent? There isn’t really a right or wrong answer for this as varying iterations of the lore have handled him differently. While the original incarnation always considered Clark as the product and Superman the identity, the more recent ones have been focused on adding depth to Kal by exploring Clark. The quote above is something I've always remembered from Lois & Clark. I won’t say that MoS is based on that, but I do feel it aligns with whatever goals they had in building a contemporary take on Superman’s origins and motivation. Diving deeper into Clark has always left Superman a richer character for it, and tbh there is no way you could do a realistic portrayal of Superman without it.

A film about the origin of Superman, can’t just have him wake up in the morning and be the boy scout we know. “Truth, Justice and the American Way” just isn’t as palatable to today’s cynical & demanding audience as it once was. This is particularly true in a post-Nolan Dark Knight world. Back in the 40’s/50’s saying it was because he had good parents and a wholesome upbringing was enough, but in 2015 it’s just not. A lot of us have had a good upbringing, and very few of us are saints. This doesn’t mean that we can’t ever have him be the “boy scout” — It’s ok if he gets there later, but there has to be a journey. For MoS though, the journey doesn’t end mid-film with him being Supes just because he dons the cape. The entire film is still a part of Clark’s journey. And like some other narrative threads that I will mention later, it’s an arc that that will carry through over to BvS.

Jonathan Kent not wanting Clark to use his powers // (…even at the cost of his own life) // “The world isn’t ready…” // “…Is Clark?”
Perry White: “Could you imagine how people on this planet would react, if they knew there was someone like this out there?”​

Homo Sapiens have pretty much settled into the idea that on our world (and for as far out as we know) - we are the dominant life form/society. The existence of a theoretical Homo Superior lurking in our midst that could usurp us, or alien life that supersedes us, or anything that is not just better but *significantly better* could destabilise our world view. The fact that Clark embodies all three of those notions simultaneously would make a realistic interpretation of Superman an absolute societal shift of our place in the universe. MoS thus fundamentally asks two recurring questions: What place is there in the world for a guy like Clark? And when people like Clark exist, what would it mean for the rest of us? These are of course, rhetorical. They frame the film, and context for the rest of the DC over-world to be based on. Clark will have to find answers himself as part of his journey. While he struggles with the implications of the former, and the second half of the film accounts for the latter, — flashbacks show that Pa Kent presciently struggles with the implications for both as he tries to raise Clark. While many like to hang to the bus incident response to claim that this is a terrible iteration of Pa Kent, its important to remember that at that point Clark himself doesn’t know the truth yet and the reveal dialogue below is what follows immediately after it.

Pa Kent: “It’s another way of saying its not from this world Clark…. And neither are you. you’re the answer son. you’re the answer to ‘are we alone in the universe?’.”
Clark: “I don’t wanna be.”
Pa Kent: “And I don’t blame you son. It’d be a huge burden for anyone to bear. But you’re not just anyone Clark, and I have to believe that you were… that you were sent here for a reason. All these changes that you’re going through one day, one day you’re going to see them as a blessing. And when that day comes, you’re gonna have to make a choice. A choice of whether to stand proud in front of the human race or not.”
Clark: “Can't I just keep pretending I'm your son?”
Pa Kent: “You are my son… But somewhere out there you have another father too, who gave you another name. And he sent you here for a reason, Clark. And even if it takes you the rest of your life you owe it to yourself to find out what that reason is.”

In fitting with the more realistic tone MoS adhere’s to, Jonathan Kent is a man who loves his alien son as his own, but is also extremely worried for him. He does his best to comfort Clark and help him through his troubled childhood. But he is also a man no guide book for an alien-super-powered-puberty. No answers on a silver plate he can whip out. With some in his town already throwing around terms like “divine providence” for a 13yr old boy, he’s aware of how significant Clark’s existence will be to people — and how much of a weight that will be on Clark himself. Jonathan’s position raises the idea that it’s not just that the world isn’t ready for what Clark is, but also that Clark himself may not be ready yet to carry the weight of that burden. But like any father, he chooses to believe in what his son will one day be capable of. Until then though, until Clark is mature enough to handle his reveal and its worldwide implications — the secret must be kept, and he is ultimately willing to die to keep it for Clark
tornado.gif

Clark: “I wanted to hit that kid, I wanted to hit him so bad.”
Pa Kent: “I know you did. I mean part of me even wanted you to. But then what? Make you feel any better? You just have to decide what kind of man you want to grow up to be Clark, because whoever that man is —good character or bad— he’s… he’s gonna change the world.”

DBZ fights // Collateral Damage to Smallville & Metropolis // “Superman would never allow that kind of destruction” // Clark Snapping Zod’s Neck // “Superman Doesn’t Kill”
“Superman is the guy who saves everyone”, “Superman would never be a part of that kind of destruction”, “Superman inspires hope”, “Superman doesn’t kill”, “MoS Superman doesn’t feel like Superman to me”​

Of course, as usual people never get to choose the time for these things, the time chooses them. Clark using the the colony ship triggers an automated distress signal that identifies his location, inadvertently leading Zod’s forces to Earth. This immediately brings up the negative implications of MoS’s second fundamental question; What does it mean for the rest of us when the gods come down from Olympus and do battle in the human realm? The results are where much of the above sentiments come into play. Its worth noting again then, that Man of Steel is not a movie about the “Superman” you know from lore. It is a rebooted origin story. A contemporary foundation for what we know as “Superman” to come to exist.

A large part of that foundation is going to be through loss.

Following the Smallville and Metropolis battles, many people are dead, countless $$$$$ worth of destruction have taken place, Clark is ‘alone’ again and he killed last person like him with his bare hands. He may have stopped Zod and ended the threat, but he didn’t win. And that’s the point. The victory is all too pyrrhic. It's a powerful moment and will now be as much a part of what makes this version of Clark go on to be “Superman” as being raised by the Kents, the red cape, and learning why he was sent here by Jor-El are.

There is no individual “Uncle Ben” / “Death of the Waynes” moment that makes him “Superman”. No single trigger that serves as his motivation. The events of the film *collectively* serve as his “with great power comes great responsibility” speech, with some of Batman vs Superman adding to it. Now when Superman refuses to kill, we will know why. When he goes out of his way to avoid collateral damage, we will know why. When he pushes himself to save every person he can, no matter how bad the situation is, we will know why. What motivates the heroic ethic, isn’t just moral rhetoric - its underpinned by loss, mistakes, the decisions he had to make, and a desire to never see anything like them happen again.

It’s this that will make him the Superman we know. More importantly, it makes the Superman we know more believable than the boy scout perfectionist we have previously been given. And more relatable; the hope he presents is metaphorical — you too can stumble, you can fall but can overcome your mistakes and one day join him in the sun. An ideal, lead by his own example.

So what does all of this supposedly mean for Batman vs Superman? Why have the trailers so far been so Batman-centric?

While BvS will continue narrative arcs for Clark, I feel like it’s gonna be more about Bruce/Batman's (and in a similar way Lex's?) side of this than Superman’s. The obvious reason is that they need to firmly establish that this isn’t the same continuity as the Nolan films. But while MoS asks its questions, it covers them mainly from the perspective of those gods. In the same way that the questions ask both about Clark and about everyone else, BvS must cover the perspective of men. Batman has always been a solid contrast and foil to Superman. As another ‘hero’ and someone who wants to protect people, he will be representative of the human perspective — with his life battling corruption and crime in Gotham having shaped his view of human nature and people succumbing to power. I suspect that desert scene with everyone bowing to Superman is a nightmare etc. His perspective will likely also be reflected in Lex, only without the altruistic motivations. What Man of Steel has given us as a set up for BvS + Beyond (also supported by the trailers):
- Legit narrative reasons for why Superman is such a boy scout (not just upbringing, but he pushes himself because of guilt over MoS events)
- Legit narrative reasons for why Batman would be a foil to a Superman (can’t forgive him after seeing the events in Metropolis first hand and the threat someone like that poses should they change, also the threat of people *willingly* following him).
- Legit narrative reasons for why a Lex Luthor would dislike and distrust a Superman (see above)
- Legit reasons for why a human population would have mixed views on a Superman despite all the good he can do (which Lex can go on to exploit etc)
- Examples of threats so big that they would encourage previously independent heroes to form a super group

The film will then propose a force necessary to stand against threats unlike anything humanity has ever stood against, and which a single hero wouldn’t be able to deal with alone. This of course leads to the creation of a group of DC-Earth’s finest, the Justice League
(Coming to a movie theatre near you, June 2017?)

TL:DR - There is no Superman in Man of Steel. There is a reason it isn’t in the title. He may gain the outfit during the film, but he only becomes “Superman” of the mythos as a result of all the good/bad that happened in the film. MoS in an origin story, both for that, and a setup for the DC overworld’s climate. This means there probably won’t be a Man of Steel 2 because its narrative threads will be picked up *directly* in BvS. BvS will probably be heavily slanted towards Batman + Lex though because they need to show the human side of the equation as the fallout from MoS’ events. Also they need to let people know this isn’t TDK’s Batman.

A lot of parts of it are forward linked to help setup the DC movies so they can get in on that Marvel-Cinematic-Universe-Movie-Revenue™. So if you didn’t like a lot of things about Man of Steel, do yourself a favour and avoid BvS. The two will be very heavily related.
Please spare yourself the grief and spare GAF the threads.

SilentRob

It's the Dragonball Z movie I never got, so yeah, I like it a lot.

ibefzmqcb9qe11.gif

Don't care for Superman at all so all I wanted was a simple storyline and great action. That's exactly what I got and I absolutely loved it on the big screen.

Lokimaru

This may come as a shock, but I think there is strong supporting evidence that it's not a very well made film.

Themes are all over the place. Repressing your identity is tantamount, even in the face of the death of innocents and children so that you can ensure your own personal safety, because no matter how altruistic and compassionate you are, you WILL be feared and resented for being different, so don't tell anyone who you really are even at the cost of lives. The film makes allusions to times where Superman being the hero he wants to be will be acceptable, but I'm not sure what marks that time. He decides to out himself once he talks to Jor-el and get the suit, but why that is a marker for a time he is willing to come out to the world is beyond me. And people do indeed fear him. People want to throw him to Zod the moment Zod threatens them and makes them aware of his existence, and the military attacks him openly, and after the Zod conflict the military is still tracking him even after they 'trust' him, and BvS operates on the premise that Batman can't deal with Superman so long as he represents a potential threat. But on the other hand, people do trust him, and Lois trusts him automatically after he saves her. So...I'm not sure if the movie is trying to depict Pa Kent as right or wrong here. Do Superman's deeds matter or not? I mean, something like that is undoubtedly going to get a mixed response by different people, but I'm not sure how the movie is even trying to frame it, that people are letting fear control them or that fear of Superman is something logical and rational to the point where it's understandable if he let people, even children, die to protect his identity.

It doesn't help that the actual framing of the dilemma's the movie gives is pure nonsense. I'm willing to let a movie slide on some logic for it to make a thematic point, but fucking Pa Kent died to save a frikken dog, and then let himself die even though Superman could have probably hid himself well enough to not let people discover his identity. It's a tornado, it's an inherently obscure, chaotic environment, let Clark get the damn dog and you have your problem solved. Same thing with the final scene with Zod. Yeah, being forced to choose between killing and letting innocents be killed is a good dilemma and all, but if he can snap Zod's neck, he should be able to keep his head from turning.

Speaking of, Zod makes no goddamn sense half the time he is onscreen. He's just an evil dick for no reason. He likes to frame things like he's doing them for krypton, but literally everything he does could have been resolved peacefully, and even has been but he's starting shit for no goddamn reason. He acts like it's either earth or krypton, but he can just terraform Mars or something. He needs Superman's DNA to get the codex, but he already had it when the doctor took his blood, or else could just ask Superman for some hair or something.

The movie just has this really annoying tendency to try and push Superman into a binary choice when it can be easily resolved some other way. Personal safety or Altruism, kill or let innocents die, Krypton or Earth. And Superman buys into this shit completely, even muttering at one point "Krypton had it's chance" before aborting every single Kryptonian Fetus they had. People give Superman shit about the city destruction, and while that might hurt the film thematically by emphasizing how violent this particular world is and how much death and destruction it brings, putting that on Superman simply isn't reasonable, especially when he is trying to just end everything, he's just failing at it. But his willful and self-satisfied genocide of the remaining innocents belonging to his race is barely ever mentioned. I don't get it.

I'd like to say that the action is atleast good, but it's only good if you like sheer spectacle. Which is fine, but the way they fight is just....bizarre. The choreography felt like they listened to an 8 year old play with Superman and Zod toys and just realized that onscreen, because it doesn't reflect their characters at all. Like, Zod is apparently a trained combatant, but he doesn't use any grapples or identifiable moves other than generic punches. Remember, his training would have been when he was on Krypton, where they are basically normal people like us. Where the fuck was this included in his training? Did his fighting instructor tell him "hop like a frog to close the distance on your enemy"? I'm just saying, I've seen trained fighters, and they're usually more economical in their movement than this wide ass uppercut and usually have better posture. The fight between these two is big and epic and it's entertaining on maybe a pure visceral level, but good action scenes are always more than just that.

What always bothered me was that this was the starting point. This set the tone for the DCCU. What bothers me isn't that it's dark, because it's a stupid complaint that Superman shouldn't engage with these things. But it's so haphazard in it's composition. It gets so excited about engaging with dark material that it doesn't stop to consider whether it even makes sense for it to do so and ends up putting it's characters in a nonsensical positions. I don't care that DC wants to go to a darker route, but I want it to do it with more skill than MoS has done. Hopefully, they took note of that, hired an actually skilled writer, and the next movie in the franchise will be more carefully constructed.

But if the review thread is anything to go by, we just got MoS2 in the worst ways possible.

Clark in the Tornado scene is 17 and hasn't used is powers since the Bus save so how could he have save Pa Kent? We saw Zod run fast and he left craters in the ground with every foot fall cause they use pure muscle to move at speed, also How would Clark have stopped in time to grab Jonathon? A body in motion sand all that? And don't say he could have just grabbed him as he ran past cause that would have torn Johnaton to pieces. The Superman in this movie works as close to real world physics as they could get him, that why he can't just stop on a dime or change directions quickly, and goes skidding out of control when he crashes into something, or why he can't just catch a train thrown at him like a baseball.

Malyse

Reading this thread half makes me want a Synder directed DBZ film and half make me want to not suffer through another Synder film ever again. I've seen virtually everyone of his movies save like two and I've pretty much hated all of them. Dunno. Maybe if there was someone on hand to prevent him from making DBZ a dour and joyless affair.

Is anyone else starting to worry about Suicide Squad?

One where people don't just reply to criticism of a film with "But I enjoyed it!" and nothing more.

Oh I see. Here I thought you could like things without having yourself or otherwise your level of 'film appreciation' questioned. You know, as subtly as OP has.

Like, what is it that you people hope to achieve here? That a thread that starts in such a negative tone will change OP's made-up mind through the sheer number of empirical examinations of this movie's filmic equalities? And after achieving the evidently impossible, we are to believe that somehow it's to our benefit?

You people need to get over yourselves.

Malyse

Oh I see. Here I thought you could like things without having yourself or otherwise your level of 'film appreciation' questioned. You know, as subtly as OP has.
You seem to be missing the part where you can like something even though it's not good.

One of the weirdest movie going experiences to date for me. The fantastic Krypton opening to the boring drawl that was Earth until the Smallville fight. Ugh. Wasted potential.

I mean yes the action is great. Bu the plot and the characters are all so laaaaaame. Lois Lane coming off so unattractive and more like an annoyance yet they still force the relationship angle. The Jesus alliterations were stupidly handled (dude floating out the ship was hilariously bad...why are you wafting away into the ether of space instead of flying full speed to catch your tryhard lover?). The Dubstep machine(s). And OH MY GOD the Pa Kent scene angers me to this day over how stupid it was. Movie was all flashbacks and dry, uninteresting characters (with the exception of Zod and Jor-El) until the punches flew.

So many 'Why?' moments were had. Oh you're gonna fight Zod now? Well fly at him like you mean it instead of laying prone on the ground and doing that uninspired lift of the ground? Why's Lois Lane everywhere, literally, EVERYWHERE you show up at when you hit the ground? In a destroyed City of all things? Kissing while dead people ashes are everywhere? Why does Supe's smirk after taking every hit like "Oh, ya got me again huh?"

Dumb movie, great action. And I knew that BvS would be more of the same. Definitely going in with my mind left in the car.

Edit: Yeah Snyder should deff do DBZ tho.

LionPride

Banned
This is honestly the best Superman movie that we've gotten. Pacing wise it's a bit spotty, but I believe it to be an enjoyable film.

It always confuses me why people think something has to be well made to be enjoyable. I'm strictly talking about it's composition. Those aspects of film-making can still be somewhat subjective, but much less so than sheer enjoyability.

What you enjoy is up to you, but it's hard to argue Man of Steel is a well made film.

I can't help but feel like you are using your criticism of the script and story structure in the film to fuel an argument for bad film-making, which makes little sense to me. Reading through your argument, not a single thing about film making stands out... it is all complaints on how the character is written, or certain acts they perform but nothing on the actual film making process which goes against your entire argument here.

Veelk

Banned

Like, what is it that you people hope to achieve here? That a thread that starts in such a negative tone will change OP's made-up mind through the cheer number of empirical examinations of this movie's filmic equalities? And after achieving the evidently impossible, we are to believe that somehow it's to our benefit?

You people need to get over yourselves.

Where did I say I was seeking to have my mind changed? I mean, I'm open to it, but that wasn't the purpose of this thread. The point of the thread is to analyze the film, and whether points go in support to my post or not doesn't really matter to me, so long as good analysis is done. Case in in point....

I wish I could reply to this more thoroughly, but I don't really have enough time, so I just want to say that this is probably the most well written analysis in defense of the movie that I've seen. I don't agree with it entirely, but I especially like the "A lot of us have had a good upbringing, and very few of us are saints." line. I feel like many people just want to see Superman be a 'good guy' without any depth or meaning to those action, so long as he's being a nice guy to people, so I totally agree that I feel it's fair to want to look at Superman as....well, a person, instead of an icon. It seems like it'd make for a more compelling story, anyway. And I agree. In my review, I tried to focus on the film on it's own merits, not how it adhere's to other superman media.

I don't agree with all of it, of course. Mainly, it feels like you're revising the purpose of the movie to try and excuse the discrepancies with how superman acts and behaves. I don't think that the reason the movie isn't titled "Superman" is because it's not 'really' about superman. It's because "Man of Steel" sounds cooler and is aping the same title gimmick Nolan's trilogy by using a common epitaph of the hero instead of just his name. And while Superman coming to his no-kill rule by having killed might be interesting, the fact that it wasn't set up at all throughout the movie and just kind of happened suggests more to me that it was just another false dilemma that the writer thought would be cool to add to give more drama that doesn't really gel with the rest of the movie. If BvS can retcon this into being something good, fantastic, I just don't think that it was what was going on in MoS itself.

But thanks for actually writing that out, even if it wasn't in this thread. It's a good read.

I can't help but feel like you are using your criticism of the script and story structure in the film to fuel an argument for bad film-making, which makes little sense to me. Reading through your argument, not a single thing about film making stands out... it is all complaints on how the character is written, or certain acts they perform but nothing on the actual film making process which goes against your entire argument here.

Eh...you're right, film-making was the wrong word to use. I'm not really focusing on the filmography or anything really and instead I'm focusing on the writing and just conflated that with film making. I'm focusing more on how it all comes (or does not, rather) together narratively. It's still talking about composition, but narrative composition, which is a part of film making, but not the whole of it, so yeah, wrong word to use, but you know what I mean.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I liked it, but the film is a massive mess. Between characters, pacing, etc.

I know a lot of the comic book fans have their hard on for what Superman is in there, but I thought the action was fitting. The destruction in the finale is what you would actually expect two god like figures fighting it out to be like. As bad as it sounds, the cartoonish of the Marvel films is tiresome at times. It gets destroyed then everyone just pops up on harmed.

I will say I think this is the first decent Superman film we got too. Reeves was a bore and Returns was trash.

Toothless

I just rewatched it, and I liked it again. It's flawed for sure; the third act is a total mess, but the first two are pretty good. Kinda wish Michael Kelly was playing Jimmy Olsen lol.

Farsi

It's the Dragonball Z movie I never got, so yeah, I like it a lot.

ibefzmqcb9qe11.gif

Supes vs Faora, the product placement fight was pulled right out of DBZ and I really enjoyed the hell out of it.

tumblr_moozfc5Vtq1stxsyfo1_400.gif

Would of been better if it not for the dialog in the ihop.

RDreamer

Finally watched this last night. It's not a bad movie, I think. Honestly I'm not terribly much a fan of Superman, so I feel like something like this movie is the best that character could be to be. I liked the tone of it and the theme. I do kind of wish they had another movie or so to explore the theme of the lone God and whether humans are ready for that sort of thing. I know BvS could explore that but it feels weird if it's in a film that's introducing a bunch of other heroes.

The action was pretty crazy and cool, though I do think they could have cut quite a bit of that to get to more character development. By the end I still felt like I didn't know the characters enough, especially Clark/Kal-El.

tirminyl

I enjoyed the movie, sure it has issues, every movie does, but to see this much drama and dissertations about why people dislike it? You must really like it and you hate yourself for it.

Henkka

Banned
Watched it again yesterday. Disliked in the cinemas, Blu-ray didn't really change my mind.

Not going to ramble all my thoughts, but did Pa Kent die for nothing? It kinda seemed that way. At the beginning, the movie seems obsessed with no one on Earth knowing that Clark is an alien. It would be too devastating to our worldview, or something. Even Clark says he let his father die so no one would know about him.

So instead, the existence of aliens is revealed to humanity by Zod, some 10-15 years after the tornado. What exactly was gained by Pa Kent's sacrifice? A couple more years of blissful unawareness? Seems kinda weak.

And this theme is completely forgotten by the time the movie ends. We're never shown how humanity at large responds to the existence of aliens. Everyone seems pretty nonchalant about it, and the army lady finds the alien "kinda hot".

It's just really poor storytelling.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
This is a movie where the "hero" doesn't save his father from death when it was entirely in his capacity to do so. And it's not like he later has some kind of character moment where he realizes that that was a horrible mistake or anything. This is the guy we're supposed to join in the sun.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Man of Steel was a horrible movie, it was made with the same care to the character of superman as the green lantern movie did with hal jordan. I dont think WB knows what to do with its DC characters not named Batman. I guess if i wanted a live action dragon ball movie i might have liked it.

Watched it again yesterday. Disliked in the cinemas, Blu-ray didn't really change my mind.

Not going to ramble all my thoughts, but did Pa Kent die for nothing? It kinda seemed that way. At the beginning, the movie seems obsessed with no one on Earth knowing that Clark is an alien. It would be too devastating to our worldview, or something. Even Clark says he let his father die so no one would know about him.

So instead, the existence of aliens is revealed to humanity by Zod, some 10-15 years after the tornado. What exactly was gained by Pa Kent's sacrifice? A couple more years of blissful unawareness? Seems kinda weak.

And this theme is completely forgotten by the time the movie ends. We're never shown how humanity at large responds to the existence of aliens. Everyone seems pretty nonchalant about it, and the army lady finds the alien "kinda hot".

It's just really poor storytelling.

Pa Kent knew it was pretty much inevitable that Clark's secret would be revealed to the world. It wasn't so much about keeping that secret forever as it was holding off that revelation until both he and the world were ready. Imagine if his existence had been revealed while Clark was a child or a moody teenager. Imagine how different Clark would handle that. Imagine how differently the government would handle that (They would have likely played authority figure and made him a weapon). That's what Pa Kent was trying to hold off until as long as possible. He wanted Clark to have a chance to figure out who he was, the kind of man he wanted to be, and have the maturity to handle the situation once the day came. Now that doesn't exactly excuse the tornado scene, but that's what it was going for. It was trying to show (as over-melodramatically possible) how committed he was to giving Clark that chance.

BFIB

As I say in every MoS thread, Snyder must have done something right, considering we have these threads once a week it seems.

The Superman depicted in MoS actually lines up pretty close to Supes post Infinite Crisis and New 52. This Supes isn't saving cats out of trees, he's too busy trying to keep the government out of his way.

Veelk

Banned
As I say in every MoS thread, Snyder must have done something right, considering we have these threads once a week it seems.

The Superman depicted in MoS actually lines up pretty close to Supes post Infinite Crisis and New 52. This Supes isn't saving cats out of trees, he's too busy trying to keep the government out of his way.

There's a girl that, back in 2012, while in a bar, fell over from drunkness and defecated herself. People naturally took pictures, and while her face wasn't captured, she was embarrassed enough to transfer schools and no one has heard from her since.

And yet, every month or so, I still hear her mentioned as a kind of punchline. It's not malicious, but it's something that just keeps getting brought up occasionally.

So I think the only thing that MoS being brought up again and again indicates is that Superman is important and topical to people, and Snyder shit himself in public.

T Dollarz

I just rewatched it, and I liked it again. It's flawed for sure; the third act is a total mess, but the first two are pretty good. Kinda wish Michael Kelly was playing Jimmy Olsen lol.

This basically echoes my rewatch from yesterday, first time since seeing it in the theater and hating it. I really enjoyed the "Smallville aspect" of the film. And there were a few scenes where Snyder gives us wide shots of Superman, teamed with a stellar score, that are genuinely moving, kinda gave me chills. Unfortunately it totally falls apart in the final hour, which is a very chaotic disaster.

The points you have raised make sense as an artistic attempt to create a kind of Greece mythos about Superman, i.e. that his character is not just a power fantasy, but has an underlying motive. And I believe that this is doable with Superman.

But, honestly, do you seriously think that MoS portrays this narrative capably on-screen? I think it fails to do so and I think I am not alone otherwise there wouldn't be so much grieve about it in the first place. Many have raised countless of times the discrepancies of how MoS wants to tell something vs the actual execution of what is being told. Most of the plot points that are important to Clarke's character are not organically portrayed but force-fed through contrivances. Besides being easy to parody, it doesn't allow the audience to connect with Clarke. That is the focal point where MoS let down and frankly that's where any well-meant discussion of MoS' quality should end (as has been done so many times).

How someone's rise to Superman should be portrayed in today's cinema is still debated (and probably the reason why these threads pop up so often). I get what you're saying about that singular defining moment vs accumulation of many small moments, but I am not sure if the latter is translatable to big blockbuster films for many directors. And I think you're undermining your argument a bit by saying that Batman or Spider-man were spawned by singular events. It is more like a mix of small moments that combined with a significant one led to their eventual creation. I would rather say that Clarke is more defined by a singular moment of importance. It is when he arrives on Earth as an orphaned baby. But as he grows up, he slowly uncovers the truth of himself and this drives him to become and be Superman (at least in previous iterations). MoS tried to do something original by introducing a significant event of anti-creation by killing off Pa Kent in the way it did to prevent Clarke from progressing. But the way it was executed was just ludicrous and doesn't serve much more than to make room for another father figure which literally appears out of nowhere, acts as if he is still alive, throws the suite in his lap and tells him he is the savior of his race, has to fight some bad Kryptonians as well and that he is humanity's Space Jesus. It is a fascinating screw-up and understandable that it is often talked about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom