• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III in English is now available on the Xbox One after buying on JP store

So once the game is released in the US, what would be the difference between the version I buy today via the Japanese store, and the version I could buy in the US store on April 12?

Any limitations, or will it look and behave like any other Xbox game I've bought digitally?

If there are literally no differences, I'm buying this tonight.

No differences, maybe they will improve the localization a little bit, but that would be it.

danowat

Banned
So once the game is released in the US, what would be the difference between the version I buy today via the Japanese store, and the version I could buy in the US store on April 12?

Any limitations, or will it look and behave like any other Xbox game I've bought digitally?

If there are literally no differences, I'm buying this tonight.

IME, none, pretty sure DLC is universal too (unlike the PS4)

MUnited83

For you.
German version seems to be available as well through this!

12Qze8J.jpg

Wait, people have been banned for buying games from foreign storefronts on Xbox before? That seems weird as hell. I can't imagine how many things I've bought on a Japanese PSN account.

danowat

Banned
Wait, people have been banned for buying games from foreign storefronts on Xbox before? That seems weird as hell. I can't imagine how many things I've bought on a Japanese PSN account.

No, they haven't, people have been doing it since day one.

edit : at least on the XBO, there were/are issues with doing it on the X360.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

I've never heard of anyone being banned, I've done it for ages and know others have too, no bans.

MS even posted a guide about buying from a foreign region.

E92 M3

The lengths people go to so they don't have to wait 3 weeks.

It's not even about the wait. The Souls experience is unique and interesting when everyone is going at it together. In 3 weeks chances for spoilers are huge even on this board. People post small details all the time without spoiler tags.

Welp. Think I'm going for it. I'm on holiday when it drops so won't get to play it until about a week after release anyway. Time to jump in now.

Here's hoping this doesn't bite any of us buying it this way in the ass and Microsoft somehow stop us accessing the game early once they realise.

Red Hood

Banned
It's not even about the wait. The Souls experience is unique and interesting when everyone is going at it together. In 3 weeks chances for spoilers are huge even on this board. People post small details all the time without spoiler tags.

And we will go at it together, brother... in three weeks. I mean, I'm sure the Japanese Souls community aren't going to be completely tired and sick of DS3 by then, so we can all join them, and even then I'm also sure the NA and EU community combined is bigger than the Japanese one.

Basically my point is that we don't know any potential risks involved, because I'm not sure if this is even allowed, but even then three weeks are over before we know it.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I have an Xbox One but I'm not keen on buying the game twice since I'd prefer to play it on PS4. What a bunch of crap.

I wish From would self-publish in the US.

E92 M3

I use foreign stores all the time, the talk of bans is just fear mongering.

Worked a treat, cheers OP.

Since you're the expert (no sarcasm), what's the quickest way to do it?

And we will go at it together, brother... in three weeks. I mean, I'm sure the Japanese Souls community aren't going to be completely tired and sick of DS3 by then, so we can all join them, and even then I'm also sure the NA and EU community combined is bigger than the Japanese one.

Basically my point is that we don't know any potential risks involved, because I'm not sure if this is even allowed, but even then three weeks are over before we know it.

The problem is that it's not only Japanese (I was okay with that). Now it's Xbox and "select streamers" doing it. Spoilers are going to everywhere. I am sure will even make spoilerific thread titles.

Annoying the pop-up window when purchasing the game doesn't translate. Inputting a Japanese address is going to be tough this way since my Japanese knowledge is zero.

Halp, pls?

Xemu

I hope you enjoyed your little rebellion, irritant. But remember, what SHODAN gives she is more than able to take away.
So has anyone found a way to get credit on the JP store without already having a Japanese credit card? You can't use PayPal and I can't seem to find a way to buy JP store points with just a code online (ie, not getting a physical card)

So has anyone found a way to get credit on the JP store without already having a Japanese credit card? You can't use PayPal and I can't seem to find a way to buy JP store points with just a code online (ie, not getting a physical card)

The guide I just linked to explains how to buy codes off Japanese Amazon.

Okada

Since you're the expert (no sarcasm), what's the quickest way to do it?

Haha I wouldn't say expert at all but this is how I would do it

Use this to change the region of the Microsoft store - http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/DisplayWorldWidePage/

From here change to Japan and buy 1x 5000 yen and 1x 3000 yen digital credit using PayPal and an address found on google.

Then use this to change the region of the Xbox store - https://live.xbox.com/Shell/ChangeLocale

From here redeem the 2 digital codes you purchased on the microsoft store and then purchase Dark Souls 3.

You're now done and ready to download from your console without switching regions on it at all.

Top Bottom