• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo 42 - Colorful open world inspired by Syndicate and GTA1

Corpekata

Banned
Saw this trailer and thought it was worth posting.

Trailer

Developed by SMAC games and published by Mode7 of Frozen Synapse fame. Can't find much info on the devs as googling SMAC Games makes google think I want info on Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

RPS link

tokyo.jpg

Coming in 2017

mclem

Not sure I really see the inspirations there (other than 'isometric'), but it's a gorgeous look. How's it an open world, though? Those look to be discrete individual environments.

Afrodium

Banned
Looks great. I'm a bit worried about the perspective though. Looks like it's too far away to actually see what's happening in a firefight.

Renpatsu

Does that artstyle have a name? Japanese pop? (Maybe not the art itself but the theme of the art...)
You're pretty much there. They game seems to be influenced by Japanese pop art (although toned downed compared to actual examples which are much more complex) and science fiction in general which accounts for some of the architectural and aesthetic choices. Couple that with a low poly art and the subtle tilt-shift effect and you get that diorama look.

bounchfx

Ok, that's fucking awesome. Talk about Fresh. wasn't sure what I was seeing in the screenshots other than pretty, but after watching the trailer.. this is legit cool.

You're pretty much there. They game seems to be influenced by Japanese pop art (although toned downed compared to actual examples which are much more complex) and science fiction in general which accounts for some of the architectural and aesthetic choices. Couple that with a low poly art and the subtle tilt-shift effect and you get that diorama look.

Thank you!

Top Bottom