• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo 42 (Stylish open world action game ) - PS4/XBO/PC 2017

Loudninja

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtiOD0GhlI0

MAC Games‘ Tokyo 42 made a huge impression on me from the first second I clapped eyes on it. Maciek Strychalski’s vibrant, ultra-colourful art style coupled with his brother Sean Wright’s technical prowess packs a serious punch; the game’s gorgeous presentation is a neat visual expression of its elegant shooter gameplay.

As you can probably tell from my purple prose, I’m intensely proud to be publishing this game and I’m delighted to announce that we’ll be bringing it to PS4 next year.

The devs describe Tokyo 42 as “Syndicate-meets-Monument Valley-meets-Worms” – it’s pretty unusual, so we can turn a blind eye to those excessive hyphens. The game has a significant open world single player mode with a story and lots of side-quests, plus a competitive arena-based multiplayer component.

It’s an action game to its colourful core: every bullet and grenade has full physics, enabling you to dodge and weave while you take on rival gang members, the police or sinister corporate drones. You pick up pistols, machine guns, sniper rifles, katanas and a slew of other weapons along the way, jumping and rotating the camera to gain access to new parts of the world.

The attention to detail in this game is extraordinary: little secrets abound in every corner of the map. While SMAC take a lot of influence from indie games and classic titles, they’re huge fans of modern AAA gaming as well: you’ll see some Assassin’s Creed and Metal Gear Solid inflections as you use the stealth system to sneak into a gang stronghold, or leap from a tall building, sniping an enemy in midair.

You can change your skin to blend in with the crowd and shake off rival assassins who have been sent to hunt you down. This mechanic also allows you to infiltrate the various groups you’ll come across: the Punks, the Skins (a militant nudist faction) and the all-powerful NanoMed corporation will permit you passage through their territory if you are appropriately attired.

Multiplayer
Skin swapping has a big impact on multiplayer as well. In the core Arena mode, you and your opponent spawn into a small area, unaware of each other’s location. You must try to act nonchalantly as part of the crowd as you move around collecting weapons: giving away your location could mean instant death if your opponent picks you out.
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...id=772797006808920068&adbpl=tw&adbpr=36969785

Press Release
Everyone at Mode 7 and SMAC Games is delighted to announce that super stylish spinny-camera-isometric ultracolourful cyberpunk open-worldy assassin-fest Tokyo 42 will be coming to a variety of exciting gaming platforms in 2017.

Tokyo 42 is an action title inspired by classics like Syndicate and GTA1. It’s viewed from an isometric perspective but the camera can be rotated to reveal every facet of its intricately designed open-world.

Bullet physics, jumping with air control, sneaky stealth and crowd simulation all play a role in this ultra-colourful kinetic frenzy.

You’re a budding freelance assassin in a world where sinister forces are at play, taking on missions to pay your way and becoming embroiled in all sorts of cyber-shenanigans. There are also cats.

A multiplayer arena mode blends adds a Where’s Wally-slash-Waldo-for-other-territories dimension: change your skin and blend in with the crowd, then explode into view with a flurry of overly ambitious rockets.
https://medium.com/@mode7games/pres...-one-and-playstation-4-1cf8a3bad63#.8d2kp6xfb

AlucardGV

Banned
zee8127.png

Looks super neat. Definitely interested.

But is this actually open world? It seemed like there was different maps that you could rotate around.

Peltz

Wow, I wasn't expecting that when I clicked the link. Very cool footage and very unique premise.

I love the overhead/isometric perspective and super clean visual style. Hopefully, they allow you to zoom in a bit more though. It's looking a bit like controlling ants.

Is there a term to describe this shading technique? It's not quite cel shaded.... is this considered "flat" shaded?

Protome

But it's not a stylish action game. People know damn well what that means.

Not this bollocks.

So GTA is stylish Action?
Battlefield is Stylish action?
Uncharted is Stylish action?

I assume you mean DMC/Bayonetta esque games?
It's also worth noting the term "Stylish Action" is not used anywhere in this thread, the trailer or linked blog post except in your post.
The idea that a game can't be described as Stylish unless it's a DMC-esque game is insane.

delSai

So GTA is stylish Action?
Battlefield is Stylish action?
Uncharted is Stylish action?

No, they all fit in the "Action" genre with GTA also having the Open World part, up to you to decide if it's a "stylish open world" though. I think you read the title different than i did and that's why there's some confusion:

Stylish Open World - Check
Action Game - Check

I deff read the title as being a stylish(highly stylized) open world game. I think your hung up on the whole "Stylish Action" part.

Gonna go out on a limb here and say OP didn't mean stylish like DMC, but actual aesthetic stylish.

Which got my hopes up, but this still looks cool.

Looks really cool. But goddamn, zoom that shit in, I can't tell where the player character was in that trailer half the time because everything is about the size of a freaking ant.

No, they all fit in the "Action" genre with GTA also having the Open World part, up to you to decide if it's a "stylish open world" though. I think you read the title different than i did and that's why there's some confusion:

Stylish Open World - Check
Action Game - Check

In fairness, my eyes skipped the "open world" part.

Still. The disappointment is real. *Sigh*.

Protome

jett

D-Member
That looks really awesome. Gonna put my eye on it.

I thought they were called/known as 'Character Action' games?

Honestly this genre never really got an "official" name. We might as well just call it the Platinum genre since they're seemingly the only ones that makes this kind of game (and make this game every time lately :p).

Nzyme32

Your title makes it appear that the game is a PS4 exclusive, when it's cross platform, I assume that's what is meant.

Yeah this is a running theme with these threads solely referencing PSBlog. Also doesn't help that the title misleads against the product itself, which isn't what I what many naturally assume from "open world action game"

To prove a point, lets look at the original thread back in March 2016 with the more accurate title -

Tokyo 42 - Colorful open world inspired by Syndicate and GTA1

Also from the original thread. Some screens

tokyo42__nightmultiplp1u38.png

tokyo42__prologueareakcuj0.png

tokyo42_grenadesjuuz5.png

tokyo42_mentalfightkjuo3.png

tokyo42_sniping5mu2u.png

tokyo42_t_daymultiplatxu17.png

tokyo42_templemiuay.png

And also 12 minutes of alpha walkthrough with a dev

Of course the difference is now that both console versions are announced, as per the trailer

Wonderful art-direction, questionable camera. And was that a Tachicoma or however you spell it? The yellow, jumping quadrupled robot.

Jackpot

Banned
Yeah this is a running theme with these threads solely referencing PSBlog. Also doesn't help that the title misleads against the product itself, which isn't what I what many naturally assume from "open world action game"

To prove a point, lets look at the original thread back in March 2016 with the more accurate title -

Tokyo 42 - Colorful open world inspired by Syndicate and GTA1

Also from the original thread. Some screens

Pretty much. Thread creator trying to sink own thread.

Top Bottom