• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emma Watson named in Panama Papers leak database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

The Times reports Watson purchased a £2.8 million ($5.5 million) home in London in 2013 via an offshore company, Falling Leaves Ltd, set up a month earlier.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/mone...k/news-story/9a69248da331570df99b93f4400b4089

Emma Watson used an offshore company in a Caribbean tax haven to buy a £2.8 million home in London, the Panama papers reveal.

The actress, 26, who made her name in Harry Potter and has become a United Nations goodwill ambassador and campaigner for women’s rights, bought the three-bedroom mews house in 2013. It was purchased through Falling Leaves Ltd, an entity set up in the British Virgin Islands by the Panamanian law firm Mossack Fonseca a month earlier.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/harry-potter-star-bought-3m-home-via-tax-haven-jjqw0fr56

I do know two people friends of my mother who have their money there, but they are upper class Venezuelans so it was an intuitive finding. Big international stars on the other hand; seems like it says something about the person rather than their situation, but this is probably a cognitive bias.

Juicy Bob

She was being really awesome with the feminism and the UN stuff and the standing up for equality but this has really harmed my opinion of her.

Fuck this type of tax avoidance bollocks.

Moosichu

For corporations, there are many legal reasons to have off-shore businesses. Most of the time it's to hide yourself from your competitors rather than the state.

For individuals, it's different of course,
but off-shore isn't always about tax evasion.
Maybe it is in that case, I don't know. But I'm uncomfortable with jumping to conclusions (and not just because she's Emma Watson)

It's just a nice perk.

Eumi

So is it possible to have the money stored there and not be evading taxes, even if that's not the reason the money is kept there?

Audioboxer

So is it possible to have the money stored there and not be evading taxes, even if that's not the reason the money is kept there?

Suppose so, but from my post above it's at least been used to buy a home. Not sure if the leaks say anything else.

numble

What is it that she needs to protect if it's not about her tax money?

And mostly for the tax evasion kind...

Basically this:
So she's not named on the Land Registry documents.

And similar things, such as making donations to organizations that are required to disclose donors, like if a Super PAC discloses its donors and its a list of random entities (not sure if charities are required to disclose donors, probably varies from country to country). If Warren Buffet wanted to donate money to a human rights group in China, doing so directly from his bank account would expose what he is doing and maybe jeopardize his Chinese investments if that group is targeted by the government, etc.

Audioboxer

Basically this:

And similar things, such as making donations to organizations that are required to disclose donors, like if a Super PAC discloses its donors and its a list of random entities (not sure if charities are required to disclose donors, probably varies from country to country). If Warren Buffet wanted to donate money to a human rights group in China, doing so directly from his bank account would expose what he is doing and maybe jeopardize his Chinese investments if that group is targeted by the government, etc.

Well the use above from the leak was setting it up a month prior to buying a very expensive house in London.

numble

Don't most celebs just have a codename or something on their UK/US bank accounts?

Unsure why privacy would mean having to go through Panama or any other tax haven. Or setting up a shell company.

I've never heard of code names on bank accounts. The deed to a property will not be in the name of the bank account anyway.

Well the use above from the leak was setting it up a month prior to buying a very expensive house in London.

That is why my first point was repeating the point that her name wouldn't show up in the Land Registry.

samn

I feel like you didn't make this pun on purpose.

... I did not :(

How is any tax saved by buying a house through an offshore account?

If she wanted to avoid tax then the account would need to be set up prior to earning income, the vast majority of which would have been back in her Harry Potter days.

Dead Man

Basically this:

So why not set one up in the UK?

Audioboxer

... I did not :(

How is any tax saved by buying a house through an offshore account?

If she wanted to avoid tax then the account would need to be set up prior to earning income, the vast majority of which would have been back in her Harry Potter days.

Individual buyers often prefer to make their purchases through corporate structures to keep their names out of any official records and for inheritance and capital gains tax purposes. Until 2013 the structures could also be used to avoid stamp duty, though the Chancellor has since closed that loophole.

“These figures show a huge volume snapped up via tax havens — and whether it’s laundering money through a Chelsea mansion or dodging tax in a major regeneration project, Londoners are losing out.”

The volume of purchases through “corporate entities” has slowed dramatically since 2013 after Chancellor George Osborne introduced hefty tax penalties in successive Budgets.
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...of-london-property-in-six-years-a3095936.html

She done it in 2013.

There are two big reasons foreign investors use offshore vehicles like trusts to buy property in the UK, and London in particular: tax and secrecy. Put simply, it is cheaper to buy and sell property through an offshore company or trust than as an individual. Offshore structures are not subject to Capital Gains Tax, which is 20% in the UK. Moreover, ownership of property can be passed on via the sale of shares in the offshore structure, meaning costly stamp duty is avoided by the purchaser. It is also possible to reduce or avoid Inheritance Tax altogether. While it may cost money to set up offshore vehicles, and management fees to run them, often this is much less expensive than paying the full rates of tax.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/panama-pap...ealth-exposed-global-elite-who-own-it-1553521

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Dodgy Dave does it -> Fucking tax dodging hypocrite
Emma Watson does it -> Ohh it could just be privacy she wouldn't do something bad it's not so bad.

Not defending Dave by any means, it's all rich folk tax dodging.

numble

So why not set one up in the UK?

Because a lot of the information becomes publicly available:

https://www.gov.uk/get-information-about-a-company

Owning UK property through a company actually makes you liable for more taxes than if you own it as an individual:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/annual-tax-on-enveloped-dwellings-the-basics

Audioboxer

Because a lot of the information becomes publicly available:

https://www.gov.uk/get-information-about-a-company

Owning UK property through a company actually makes you liable for more taxes than if you own it as an individual:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/annual-tax-on-enveloped-dwellings-the-basics

Read what I posted above.

Put simply, it is cheaper to buy and sell property through an offshore company or trust than as an individual

Remember the UK Gov website details things for poor people. Not the rich... /s but true.

numble

Read what I posted above.

It is cheaper to sell, it is not cheaper to own. You need to pay 23,350 pounds extra in taxes per year. You will need to do calculations on how it nets out in the end, but the ATED is intended to wipe out that benefit, especially if the capital gains tax exemption is closed like the stamp duty exemption.

Audioboxer

It is cheaper to sell, it is not cheaper to own. You need to pay 23,350 pounds extra in taxes per year. You will need to do calculations on how it nets out in the end, but the ATED is intended to wipe out that benefit, especially if the capital gains tax exemption is closed like the stamp duty exemption.

She bought it in 2013, presumably before Osborne done his knight in shining armour on stamp duty (which can probably still be circumvented). I'll take what the experts at the links above say about buying being cheaper.

Madao

all these tax evaders deserve to have their names dirtied.

the average citizen of Panama has to pay their regular taxes and these rich people come and do their evading and it's the country that gets dragged through the mud thanks to corrupt politicians.

pay your taxes and don't evade.

Why the hell are they going after non politicians? Setting up off shore company to dodge tax is legal.

I guess there is no other names in the leak?

numble

She bought it in 2013, presumably before Osborne done his knight in shining armour on stamp duty (which can probably still be circumvented). I'll take what the experts at the links above say about buying being cheaper.

Why do you consider a reporter to be an expert? I am a tax lawyer, you should trust me more ;)

The reporter seems to be wrong anyway, it seems like a closely-held offshore company still needs to pay capital gains tax on the sale of the property:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pay-capital-gains-tax-for-non-residents
You may have to pay non-resident Capital Gains Tax if you dispose of UK residential property and you’re either a:

non-resident individual
personal representative of a non-resident who has died
non-resident who is a partner in a partnership
non-resident trustee
non-resident company that is regarded as ‘closely held’

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/capital-gains-tax-for-non-residents-uk-residential-property
Closely held companies
A ‘closely-held company’ is one which either:

is under the control of 5 or fewer persons that have an interest in the company
5 or fewer participators are entitled to acquire rights to the greater part of the company’s assets on a winding up order and none can be diversely held

takriel

I don't understand why you need to do this when you are rich as fuck. Why does it matter to save some tax money?

Moosichu

Why the hell are they going after non politicians? Setting up off shore company to dodge tax is legal.

I guess there is no other names in the leak?

Just because something is legal doesn't mean that it should be or is morally right. Things like this mean pressure can be applied to have the law changed. Because at the moment society's tiers are diverging very rapidly.

Moosichu

I don't understand why you need to do this when you are rich as fuck. Why does it matter to save some tax money?

Seriously, it's probably a mental health issue. The same reason obese people eat more and more food, drug addicts go for harder and harder stuff, achievement hunters go after more and more achievements. Wanting more and more of something is human behaviour. Also peer pressure as well.

krazen

Keep in mind in at least the states you can set up a 'company' onshore which achieves the same privacy solution except like, you actually gotta pay taxes, lol.

Gonna take a wild leap and assume its the same in the UK.

Hex

Banned
Woot Gaf gets carte blanche to unload on a fan favorite with a pretty much spotless record.
Facts of course will be an unnecessary nuisance.
The first things almost any financial advisor will tell you to do are A) set up something offshore B) set up a business holding at that one address in the US (In CT I think it was? Or was it Deleware?) that they have the huge tax benefits

Why not? what is your point here? Just because it's "legal" doesn't mean it's a good look.

This is basically what Apple and Starbucks and other big companies do. I fail to see why a person need to be held up to higher moral standard than Apple Inc.

If US comgresscand UK parliament want to tax it, pass the law.

Setting up corporations and then using it for everything they do, including paying for mobile phones and stuff, is actually pretty common among celebrities. I don't know if that is specifically the case here but it might be.

The majority of them don't even vote because that would mean that their address would be on record and thus easily acquired by the public. I even heard of one famous actor buying a flat in London and leaving it totally empty (never setting foot in it himself) so that he could claim it as his his official residence and thus vote in elections.

It ain't easy being rich and famous.

those poor unfortunate souls. I volunteer to take all of that monies

El Topo

Seriously, it's probably a mental health issue. The same reason obese people eat more and more food, drug addicts go for harder and harder stuff, achievement hunters go after more and more achievements.

This is complete bullshit. It's reasonable to handle your finances as optimal as possible. Who knows what could happen in the next ten, twenty or thirty years?

I don't really give a shit if rich celebrities are getting around tax when it's the big corporations who are doing 100x worse. When they start paying their insane amount of tax properly then we can focus on the celebs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom