• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emma Watson named in Panama Papers leak database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

Emma Watson has been named in a database containing details of the Panama Papers leak.

The Harry Potter actress’s name was found by The Spectator in a searchable database containing more details about the Panama Papers tax avoidance scandal.

The International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ) published data on more than 200,000 entities on its website on Monday evening. The database contains information on companies, trusts and foundations and users can see networks involving the offshore companies.

Watson’s spokesperson confirmed the 26-year-old had set up an offshore company. However, the spokesperson said she does not receive any tax or monetary advantages whatsoever. Instead, the spokesperson said she uses it for privacy purposes.

“Emma (like many high profile individuals) set up an offshore company for the sole purpose of protecting her anonymity and safety,” her spokesperson said in a statement.

More @ http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/emma-watson-named-in-panama-papers-database-a7023126.html

2/10, do not believe.

edit: Used to buy a 2.8m home
edit2: How buying a home via offshore saves on taxes

Strax

I love that everbody who is named in those files and has commented states they had no tax or monetary advantages doing this.

Audioboxer

Stolen from reddit

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secret Bank Account

Harry Potter and the Order of the Internal Revenue Service

Emma (like many high profile individuals) set up an offshore company for the sole purpose of protecting her anonymity and safety

What is it that she needs to protect if it's not about her tax money?

Moosichu

I believe privacy is a fundamental right. However, not sure this is about that. Although I do want to believe Emma Watson is a good person.

Audioboxer

I believe privacy is a fundamental right. However, not sure this is about that. Although I do want to believe Emma Watson is a good person.

Don't most celebs just have a codename or something on their UK/US bank accounts?

Unsure why privacy would mean having to go through Panama or any other tax haven. Or setting up a shell company.

samn

I find the explanation very plausible. Companies are set up overseas for all sorts of reasons. I don't understand the witch hunt.

Busty

Banned
Setting up corporations and then using it for everything they do, including paying for mobile phones and stuff, is actually pretty common among celebrities. I don't know if that is specifically the case here but it might be.

The majority of them don't even vote because that would mean that their address would be on record and thus easily acquired by the public. I even heard of one famous actor buying a flat in London and leaving it totally empty (never setting foot in it himself) so that he could claim it as his his official residence and thus vote in elections.

It ain't easy being rich and famous.

Audioboxer

Setting up corporations and then using it for everything they do, including paying for mobile phones and stuff, is actually pretty common among celebrities. I don't know if that is specifically the case here but it might be.

The majority of them don't even vote because that would mean that their address would be on record and thus easily acquired by the public. I even heard of one famous actor buying a flat in London and leaving it totally empty (never setting foot in it himself) so that he could claim it as his his official residence and thus vote in elections.

Maybe so, but going through Panama, a well known tax haven, and it's easy to connect the dots. When I think of privacy I don't instantly think I better go to Panama. More like my accountant says I can stay richer, okay, lets do it.

“Emma (like many high profile individuals) set up an offshore company for the sole purpose of protecting her anonymity and safety,” her spokesperson said in a statement.

giphy.gif

Audioboxer

It's the perfect response, first of all throw off the current eyes at Emma to "many high profile individuals", and then tug at the heart strings by saying privacy and SAFETY. Gosh, I love my privacy and I wouldn't want to feel unsafe! Better get me some of that Panama protection.

PR gonna PR.

It's the perfect response, first of all throw off the current eyes at Emma to "many high profile individuals", and then tug at the heart strings by saying privacy and SAFETY. Gosh, I love my privacy and I wouldn't want to feel unsafe! Better get me some of that Panama protection.

PR gonna PR.

You have as many stalkers as Emma Watson ?

Audioboxer

You have as many stalkers as Emma Watson ?

Emma Watson can't just use a codename within the UK/US? We can all play this game. Panama is 99% known for one thing, tax evasion. Sure it sucks to think someone you like does it, but it is what it is.

I would like her PR to explain why Panama is somehow the safest and most private of places? Versus doing something where it's not a tax haven.

Hopefully this isn't anything bad. It's hard to dislike her, as she's been in some good movies and rocked the pixie (plus inspired other cute girls to get them).

Weckum

Emma Watson can't just use a codename within the UK/US? We can all play this game. Panama is 99% known for one thing, tax evasion. Sure it sucks to think someone you like does it, but it is what it is.

I would like her PR to explain why Panama is somehow the safest and most private of places? Versus doing something where it's not a tax haven.

These places are tax havens for a reason: namely that the person owning the shell company has lots of privacy.

Audioboxer

What exactly is the privacy issue? Home address and net worth or something?

Home address/peasants in call centres/administration roles knowing your address & personal details. It's a valid point, but you do not need to go through a shell company in Panama to keep your details private.

G.O.O.

For corporations, there are many legal reasons to have off-shore businesses. Most of the time it's to hide yourself from your competitors rather than the state.

For individuals, it's different of course, but off-shore isn't always about tax evasion. Maybe it is in that case, I don't know. But I'm uncomfortable with jumping to conclusions (and not just because she's Emma Watson)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom