• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Reveal Thread - Matchmaking/Multiplayer Details Revealed

kylej

Banned
InvincibleAgent said:
Which I'll have to do for everyone, and will often not have time to do for everyone.
You want me to turn my tv's volume all the way down? Because it comes out the tv.

Change the voice settings in the options menu.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Letters said:
Dani :lol

and is that Major Nelson?

LOL I thought I saw Major Nelson on a treadmill at my Gym last night. It really bugged me out, it looked just like him lolol

Not a Jellyfish said:
K/D is important but I would like more information on how the leveling is done, I personally think they should take medals into account.

I agree with this. I've wanted this for a long time actually.

bleahy said:
Tomorrow I'll be posting more interview type stuff about matchmaking and playlists.

I'll tease you with a little diddy... push-to-talk is GONE. open-mic supported across all gametypes and team sizes ;)
2j4tzi8.gif

The arena system will be a huge welcome change to how rankings previously worked. I appreciate that you have to play games, or else your rank will go down. I assume that is how it will work, unless I missed something. Then if I start playing again after an extended break, I won't be thrown in against top players and get massacred. As for push-to-talk being removed, I think I will have to mute myself lol. I'm way too vocal when I play and it's usually me just talking to myself.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Interesting about the end of push to talk. I wonder if that will also carry over to Custom games, it's annoying to have a game go silent because you cross the PTT threshold and someone always forgets to use it and complains afterwards about talking to themselves for a game.

Also, if they are increasing the upper player count, as was previously hinted at but not shown, talked about or revealed with these latest details, and the PTT is gone, would that not mean that the connection bandwidth need is greater? I remember it was stated multiple times that PTT was implemented to save bandwidth and if we have more than 16 players all trying to speak...

Then again, it seems like the whole matchmaking and online setup is getting an extensive overhaul so who know what things will be like.

bleahy said:
Tomorrow I'll be posting more interview type stuff about matchmaking and playlists.

I'll tease you with a little diddy... push-to-talk is GONE. open-mic supported across all gametypes and team sizes ;)
Am I the only one who would like push-to-talk to be an option and not an on/off or "based on # of players in a match" sort of thing? As in, integrating it into gametype options?

I know this would complicate things, but I can dream.

Cuban Legend said:
Am I the only one who would like push-to-talk to be an option and not an on/off or "based on # of players in a match" sort of thing? As in, integrating it into gametype options?

I know this would complicate things, but I can dream.
I don't know why you would want this.

If there is someone on your team who is breathing into their mic or being incredibly rude just mute them, problem solved.

I personally LOVE the fact that push to talk is gone.

Yea, PTT was a bandwidth compromise, it really made BTB a pain. There was much rejoicing when after the beta PTT was moved to only BTB playlists, and there is much rejoicing now over it's demise.

I fully understand the PTT/"open mic" debate, allow me to explain.
Devin Olsen said:
I don't know why you would want this.

If there is someone on your team who is breathing into their mic or being incredibly rude just mute them, problem solved.

I personally LOVE the fact that push to talk is gone.
To be honest, I believe that it could be useful in that Bungie would then be able to build playlists/gametypes having none or limited communication (open/PTT/off, down to the team level). Or use this to switch up current playlists.
:O, he dares?

Basically, bringing in room for a possible additional gameplay element & bring more control to creators of specialized playlists/gametypes. It would keep the new "open mic to all" situation intact, whilst enabling further control to us/them.

So this may be old news... But I haven't heard/seen anything about it.

One of the people on my Friends List that has been playing Reach (Dashboard) for the past week+ is now playing something called "Project S".

Is this the beta build of Reach? I tried to Google it, but couldn't find anything.

Ideas?

projectS.png

Clicking the game brings me to a 'content not found' page on xbox.com

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Devin Olsen said:
So this may be old news... But I haven't heard/seen anything about it.

One of the people on my Friends List that has been playing Reach (Dashboard) for the past week+ is now playing something called "Project S".

Is this the beta build of Reach? I tried to Google it, but couldn't find anything.

Ideas?

projectS.png

Clicking the game brings me to a 'content not found' page on xbox.com

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/projects/videos.html?mode=all

According to that it's a PC RPG but with no details.

Edit: also found links to an early Sega PSP game and a Kojima Snatcher game. :lol

JaggedSac

Really liking the fact that the best game of the day is what counts. A good way to get people to keep playing, trying to beat their previous best.

JaggedSac said:
Really liking the fact that the best game of the day is what counts. A good way to get people to keep playing, trying to beat their previous best.
I read the article. How did I miss that? If it's true then that's... alright.

I'm cautious, as I wonder how they balance that/how it works?

Cuban Legend said:

I think that's why you have a minimum game sample requirement, so someone can't just play one game of their life, then call it a day.

I'm really curious to see how this will affect quitters, and I hope the penalties to your arena standing are through the roof.

Individual ranks will also be another piece of the "stop quitters" mix. Doing good but your team sucks should make good players more likely to stay in, but "doing bad and your team sucks" might give people more quittin incentive.

The other thing I don't understand is how your military rank, trueskill, and arena ranks intersect. Will we see trueskill, or will it be hidden?

JaggedSac

Cuban Legend said:

It probably isn't just your 1 best game. But here is the section:

Tyson Green: Our seasons are probably going to line-up with calendar months. For the September 2010, you're going for the best division you can by the end of that season. To get there, you get rated on individual days. For example, if you need to get a rating on 5 days to get a rating for the season, that means on 5 separate days, you need to play a couple of games each night.

The day rating is based on the best selection of a night's games. You'll never have a situation [where one bad game] brings your rating down. It happens behind the scenes for matchmaking purposes and season standings, but every day, it's all about your best performances on that day.

JaggedSac said:
It probably isn't just your 1 best game. But here is the section:
Ah, thanks for the quote, I did miss this part.

You'll never have a situation [where one bad game] brings your rating down.
Wow, I'm really impressed. I'd be even more impressed seeing that in action.

/despised deranking after anodd loss in Lone Wolves

ManCannon

Cuban Legend said:
Ah, thanks for the quote, I did miss this part.

Wow, I'm really impressed. I'd be even more impressed seeing that in action.

/despised deranking after anodd loss in Lone Wolves

Urk is going to go into more detail today in the BWU on some of these new features.

I can tell you that the entire Arena framework will be included in the public beta on May 3rd and the guys are even going to fully expose the rating formula and make everything transparent to really put it through the paces and encourage people to try and 'game' it. Millions-strong public beta FTW!

GhaleonEB

ManCannon said:
Urk is going to go into more detail today in the BWU on some of these new features.

I can tell you that the entire Arena framework will be included in the public beta on May 3rd and the guys are even going to fully expose the rating formula and make everything transparent to really put it through the paces and encourage people to try and 'game' it. Millions-strong public beta FTW!
Awesome. I was wondering how transparent the ranking system would be. Sounds like you guys are going to take advantage of the beta to the fullest extent. We'll do our best to bust it. :D

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
ManCannon said:

Sounds like you guys are confident in your setup! Really good to hear about the transparency, it will be good to understand how it works under the hood, should stop folks from crying foul in instances where it isn't the case.

Awesome to hear we get more reading material to enjoy later.

ManCannon said:

B-fucking-A Now I'm hyped for Reach even more than before... I didn't think it was possible to be.

Hell, Bungie could slap these new matchmaking features onto Halo 3 MP and call it "Halo Reach MP" and I'd buy it.

Also, how do you know these details? Sorry if i don't know who you are. /points to tag

GhaleonEB

Cuban Legend said:
B-fucking-A Now I'm hyped for Reach even more than before... I didn't think it was possible to be.

Hell, Bungie could slap these new matchmaking features onto Halo 3 MP and call it "Halo Reach MP" and I'd buy it.

Also, how do you know these details? Sorry if i don't know who you are. /points to tag
He's Brian Jarrard, aka Sketch, Bungie's community lead.

Magni

Cuban Legend said:

ManCannon is one of the many Bungie employees who posts in this thread ;-)

edit: beaten by six minutes, this is what happens when you open many tabs at a time..

Sai-kun

Banned
ManCannon said:

Awesome :D Great news!

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I think I am missing this, but wasn't there going to be a podcast this week? Please guys I don't keep up with info as much as you do. I am wondering if I missed it.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Some tidbits of info from Urk about Arena;

On the Arena's tracking :

The K/D scenario was used because it's easy for people to digest and understand. Your rating will be based on a stupidly absurd number of player actions.

On the system itself and being the world's biggest optimist ;) :

It's elegantly complex, simple to understand, and not a single person is expected to complain about it.

;)

And something from the Man from Cannon :

Rest assured that a lot of the early negative specualation I've read isn't going to be a problem in the acutal game and is just a result of not really having all the facts or enough context yet.

ManCannon

godhandiscen said:
I think I am missing this, but wasn't there going to be a podcast this week? Please guys I don't keep up with info as much as you do. I am wondering if I missed it.

The March podcast will be out either late next week or beginning of the following week. It's in the can, getting mastered and pro-tooled. We also recorded a second bonus supplemental show that will be out soon too.

Doh I just took two more snippets from Urk's update...

Magni

Hmm.. what's the ETA on the BWU this week? Due to DST being in place in the US but not in Europe yet maybe we'll actually get it on a Friday in the Old World :D

bleahy

Neo Member
Second interview piece going live in 30 min.
Details on matchmaking, CLANS, party chat, push-to-talk, and more on Active Roster.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
ManCannon said:
FTW = Fortuitous Test Work

Hmm what else can I post in real-time to spoil the BWU that Urk is literally writing at this exact moment..

About the mystery ranking on the bottom of the screenshots, not asking what it is, but are we going to find out about them before or after the beta?

Doubt you can answer it, but it's worth a shot asking. :lol

bleahy said:
Details on matchmaking, CLANS, party chat, push-to-talk, and more on Active Roster.

Best 2 days this year so far confirmed!

So, I now feel like a total Junior for 2 reasons:

OMG its Sketch
OMG its Friday

Thx, GAF

EDIT:
bleahy said:
Details on matchmaking, [1]CLANS, [2]party chat, push-to-talk, and more on Active Roster.

1.MIND BLOWN?

2.Please be good news...

bleahy said:
Damn, and I just finished my lunch hour too.

*smoke break in 30mins*

EDIT: smoke break NOW, bitches!

GhaleonEB

ManCannon said:
FTW = Fortuitous Test Work

Hmm what else can I post in real-time to spoil the BWU that Urk is literally writing at this exact moment..
What's he wearing? Is anyone photographing him wearing it?

NOKYARD

I am searching the AT&T Labs Natural Voices® Text-to-Speech database for a Princess Leia voice so i can have it read the BWU to me while gazing at the pic Frankie posted earlier this week.

[edit] that sounded creepier than expected, i'll add this - :lol

Top Bottom