• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Retrospective - Blue Bomber Across the Ages

RK128

1068597-megaman_x_5.jpg

This game continues the Mega Man Retrospective but to move forward, we must go back to where the X series began. Mega Man Maverick Hunter X is a PSP title that completely remakes MMX for the ground up on the PSP; new visuals, fleshed out story, playable Vile and even an extra animated OVA.

It is a big remake, but how does it fare to the original? Lets find out. This will be one of my shorter Retrospectives, so I hope you all don't mind that.

History:
The game started development in 2004 and Capcom wanted to support Sony’s upcoming handheld. They saw great success with the PS2, so they jumped right on board with a number of titles like Power Stone Collection, Ultimate Ghosts & Goblins, Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max and two Mega Man titles. What where they though? Of course, full out remakes of Mega Man 1 and Mega Man X.

Capcom wanted to do a whole line of remakes of the Classic and X series starting with these games but they didn’t sell enough to push that fact forward. Hence, the updated story of this game kinda got dropped. Anyway, it released in 2005 and got good reviews. Many loved the remixed music and faithfulness to the original 16-Bit classic.

Story:
It is the same plot of the original Mega Man X, but done a bit differently. For starters, one of the main characters that we see in X2, Dr. Cian, is dead after events before this game even starts. So, things are bit different and we have fully voiced cut-scenes. The basic plot is X and Zero have to take out a now evil Sigma but first have to take out 8 loose Mavericks causing havoc in the world. X takes them out, heads to Sigma’s tower and the game ends with X taking him out.

mega-man-maverick-hunter-x.324806.jpg

What I love here is that X has a voice this time out and the story completely changes if we play as a new character, Vile. He has a vendetta against X, so he tries to take him out. It has a tragic end for him, but it is great to see how his final set of stages are completely different compared to X and how different he is gameplay wise, but we will get to that soon enough.

hqdefault.jpg

Overall, liked the story here and hopeful this reboot-cannon is explored in the future.

Gameplay:
Okay, this is where things stay the same, but completely change at the same time. A lot of what I said about the original Mega Man X applies for X, so will just put a link to that Retrospective here. End point, its fun to play as X and the game still is a pure classic through and through. The only real difference for X is that the Light Armor Capsules have different spots this time out, so it might throw you off if you mastered the original.

psp_megamanmaverick_8.jpg

But where things change a lot? Vile. You can play as that guy now after you beat the game as X and man, he does things quite differently. He does not collect armor parts but he still collects heart and sub tanks.

gfs_71512_2_4.jpg

The big difference is how his weapons work in the game, as unlike X, you have three different guns; mounted cannon, shot gun-like blaster, and lower angled shot. These can be mixed and matched as you defeat other Mavericks.

gfs_71512_2_3.jpg

What does that mean? You could have Chill Penguins attack on your shoulder cannon, Spark Mandrills attack on your arm shot and Flame Mammoth’s attack for your lower shot. This changes how you fight foes completely, as your shoulder cannon is the strongest attack while your base buster is quite weak unless you use a Maverick power. One thing to note is that weapon energy isn’t used for Vile; he does have that but it recharges over time instead of you collecting items to increase it.

Level design for him is largely the same, but he does have a completely different set of Sigma stages compared to X and you even fight the heroic duo of X & Zero as the final boss for Vile’s run of the game.

One cool thing for Vile though? You can ride in his iconic ride armor whenever you find it in stages and it ROCKS. You have powerful attacks and it is so much fun riding the thing that game X so much trouble in the past.

He was a unexpected addition to this remake, so it was a nice surprise unlocking him after playing it as X.

Presentation:
You know, its impressive how Capcom can capture the look and style of an older game for 3D remakes. We see that with other remakes they did like Bionic Commando Rearmed on PS3/360 and MM: Powered Up (which we will cover later on) for the PSP.

So, they do that again with Maverick Hunter X and the game looks great on PSP.
Character models are detailed and animate well, the voice acting and voice samples are solid and the still images used for events in the story look really nice. Playing this on a Vita 1000 with the OLED screen is a treat, as everything just ‘pops’.

Musically, this is Mega Man X, one of the best soundtracks in gaming. You have to try hard to mess things up but Capcom gives us some great remixes of great tracks. Everything is ‘rock’ focused…I mean, take a hint why that is the case. Anyway, the new remixes are great and the original tracks composed for Vile’s run are okay but repetitive. Overall strong soundtrack and really love some tracks like the Highway Remix.

Central Highway Remix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6GU9kuQDa4&list=PL391663356BADADAD&index=5
Boomer Kuwanger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3W4p-CPf8Y&list=PL391663356BADADAD&index=20
Spark Mandrill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_Sxn7zIHIo&list=PL391663356BADADAD&index=21
Sting Chameleon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfB7FN9YkBM&list=PL391663356BADADAD&index=22
Sigma 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZBblNr5Y6A&list=PL391663356BADADAD&index=31

Overall:
I really love Mega Man X and I fell it is one of the strongest games in the Mega Man series a s whole. So this remake had a lot to live up to for me. But, I really enjoyed it and the game being so faithful to the original with its level designs being 1-to-1 like the SNES title was really nice.

The new elements like the expanded story, remixed soundtrack and playable Vile just make this an even greater package. Give this a go on your PSP’s or PS Vita’s if you have the time, as you will be treated to a solid remake of an iconic classic.

latest

RK128

I just realized this, you do know that X in this picture if from Command Mission right?

Yes ;).

When I make Retrospectives on the X series again (gotta beat X7 and Command Mission first, in addition to buying those games), going to cover those games in the future :).

RK128

Hello everyone :).

Just letting you all know that for now, the Mega Man 8 Retrospective is up on my own gaming site. The Retrospectives have been put up there after they go up on Gaf but for the first time, one is launching on the site first, then coming to Gaf.

Want to edit things a bit, so will be putting it up on Gaf later with some edits. But for now, its on my site and I hope you consider giving it a read. I just really like the tools Wordpress has personally and wanted to see how a Retrospective made using said tools would end up.

Hope you all understand and I promise it will be up on NeoGaf soon enough :).

Link: https://rk564.wordpress.com/2016/06/06/mega-man-8-classic-series-retrospective/

RK128

Hello everyone

E3 was hectic, so I was busy writing a lot on 3wirel (over 130+ articles just for E3 alone XD!). Meaning, the Retrospectives had to be put on hold for a bit. I was able to write a few Crash ones on Nitro Kart & Twinsanity on Crashy News but not much time for other ones.

For Mega Man, I will be writing a Retrospective for more Classic Series games like MM9&10 & MM and Bass next week. Will also write one for Mega Man X7 too next week as well.

After I cover the rest of the Classic & X series, the Retrospective will be put on hold for a few months. I want to focus on other plans I have in mind and I have been writing a lot honestly. Need to have my focuses on track.

But, the MM Retrospective will continue for Mega Man later this Summer, with a major focus being on MM Zero, ZX and the Battle Network/Star Force series.

Mega Man has a lot of games, so I hope you understand this plan. Thank you all for the support and lets keep celebrating the Blue Bomber!

RK128

Just letting you all know the following for the future of this Retrospective series, in addition to other Retrospectives I have in the works. NeoGaf has shown to be a toxic location to discuss platformers, so I decided that outside of resuming my Spyro Retrospective again this July, no more platformer Retrospectives will be on NeoGaf in the future.

This includes the following: Super Mario, Kirby, Rayman, Klona and Sly Cooper. They will instead be posted on my site in addition to others in the future. Mega Man will continue to run on this site, as it is a series that is good to discuss on here. But people have a toxic view of platformers not named Mario, so I find it hard to justify why I should bother posting the other Retrospectives on here; they will only be met with unneeded backlash.

But back to Mega Man, I plan on wrapping up all the games in the Classic and X series listed in the OP by September this year. Once that is finished, putting the Retrospective on hold to have more time to complete the Battle Network, Zero, ZX and Star Force Series.

Then early 2017 around the Blue Bomber's anniversary, I will re-launch the Retrospective with Battle Network 2 and Mega Man Zero :).

I also plan on closing this years run of the Mega Man Retrospective with a long post covering Mighty No. 9, as it is only fitting considering it is the spiritual successor to Mega Man.

But, I have two more things to announced; will be launching Retrospectives on God of War and the Persona series later this year and considering they are NOT platformers, they will be on NeoGaf :).

JMTHEFOX

Just letting you all know the following for the future of this Retrospective series, in addition to other Retrospectives I have in the works. NeoGaf has shown to be a toxic location to discuss platformers, so I decided that outside of resuming my Spyro Retrospective again this July, no more platformer Retrospectives will be on NeoGaf in the future.

This includes the following: Super Mario, Kirby, Rayman, Klona and Sly Cooper. They will instead be posted on my site in addition to others in the future. Mega Man will continue to run on this site, as it is a series that is good to discuss on here. But people have a toxic view of platformers not named Mario, so I find it hard to justify why I should bother posting the other Retrospectives on here; they will only be met with unneeded backlash.

But back to Mega Man, I plan on wrapping up all the games in the Classic and X series listed in the OP by September this year. Once that is finished, putting the Retrospective on hold to have more time to complete the Battle Network, Zero, ZX and Star Force Series.

Then early 2017 around the Blue Bomber's anniversary, I will re-launch the Retrospective with Battle Network 2 and Mega Man Zero :).

I also plan on closing this years run of the Mega Man Retrospective with a long post covering Mighty No. 9, as it is only fitting considering it is the spiritual successor to Mega Man.

But, I have two more things to announced; will be launching Retrospectives on God of War and the Persona series later this year and considering they are NOT platformers, they will be on NeoGaf :).

Sad about not posting new retrospectives on NeoGAF, but I can totally understand. Your retrospectives are very interesting to read and I can't wait for more of your retrospectives.

RK128

Hey RK 128, you still going to do more of this?

Yes I will, but a lot of other writing projects are in the way. I promise that this will continue, with my end goal being every Classic & X series title being covered by the start of September.

RK128

Hello everyone!

Sorry for the very long wait but with August coming, I have the goal of these Retrospectives releasing at a faster clip. So, I aim to have the Mega Man 9, 10 and Mega Man X7 Retrospectives releasing this week.

I will share a link to my Wordpress site (which is where the MM9 Retro) will be posted first but will be bringing it to NeoGaf later on. I write faster using Wordpress, as its more friendly with images and gifs then Gaf sometimes.

Hope you all look forward to it and I am sorry for the long wait. Lets busts some Robot Masters and Mavericks with our good friend, the Blue Bomber :).

RK128

An update is in order; putting the Mega Man hold until 2017. I want to re-start this series of Retrospectives to co-enside with the series big anniversary next year. Hope you all understand.

Top Bottom