• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAC-MAN Mega Tunnel Battle: Chomp Champs launches May 9th

00_Zer0

Via Gematsu:

"64-player battle royale game PAC-MAN Mega Tunnel Battle: Chomp Champs will launch for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC (Steam) on May 9 for $19.99, publisher Bandai Namco and developer Amber Studio announced.

A Deluxe Edition will also be available for $29.99."

Looks to be a re-release of the Stadia game. Hopefully this will fill the void of Pac-Man 99. I see you can give friends a friend code and have them play with you in the same match. Hopefully this code is cross platform. I will probably double dip on Switch and Steam.

bumpkin

Pac-Man 99 died for this? Nintendo should have worked out a deal with Bamco to offer this as part of the NSO Expansion Pass. No way I’m biting at $20.

00_Zer0

Pac-Man 99 died for this? Nintendo should have worked out a deal with Bamco to offer this as part of the NSO Expansion Pass. No way I’m biting at $20.
This always looked fun to me and even though I was going to try it on Stadia I never got around to it before Google shut it down. Glad it's getting a re-release. I have no issue with shelling out$19.99 and double dipping on both PC and Switch.

Pac-Man belongs to Namco, and since we are talking about a license to use it on Nintendo here, I could see why Namco stopped the online service part of Pac-Man 99. Either that or Nintendo wouldn't shell out enough money to keep it running on their Nintendo Online service. Don't be surprised when Tetris 99 and F-Zero 99 eventually are shut down too, due to licensing issues with Tetris, or Nintendo being cheap or just their utter distain for their consumer base.

Last edited:

bumpkin

This always looked fun to me and even though I was going to try it on Stadia I never got around to it before Google shut it down. Glad it's getting a re-release. I have no issue with shelling out$19.99 and double dipping on both PC and Switch.

Pac-Man belongs to Namco, and since we are talking about a license to use it on Nintendo here, I could see why Namco stopped the online service part of Pac-Man 99. Either that or Nintendo wouldn't shell out enough money to keep it running on their Nintendo Online service. Don't be surprised when Tetris 99 and F-Zero 99 eventually are shut down too, due to licensing issues with Tetris, or Nintendo being cheap or just their utter distain for their consumer base.
I have no doubt that 99 got EOL’ed because Bamco didn’t want it eating Chomp Champ’s lunch. Still sucks though.

Top Bottom