• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The chance for Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3 HD Remastered for PS4 ?

Valkyria_Chronicles_II.jpg
Valkyria_Chronicles_3.jpg

After the release of Valkyria Chronicles Remastered.. and Sega releasing a survey asking the fans to suggest ideas on any future localizations or ports Sega could do for the franchise ( http://valkyria.sega.com/vcr/survey/ ).. and actually reading around the internet that a lot of fans suggested an HD Remastered for 2 & 3 on the PS4.

Any real chance that Sega could actually make this happen?

The first Valkyria was build up from the ground for the PS3 and the result was a really beautiful game with some big great maps.

But 2 and 3 were build on the limitations of the PSP... and that shows with the small maps compared to the first one plus the lack of fully voiced script and replacing the cut scenes and 3D characters models with an 2D artwork.

So can Sega give VC 2 & 3 the treatment that SE gave FF Type-0 HD to make it acceptable on the big screen?

Also VC3 didn't make it outside Japan so that will need some work too.

Will they bother and release these two or they will just focus on making a new VC game build from the ground up on the PS4 ( and let's not forget about Azure Revolution ).

Was VC Remastered a way of greeting new ( and some old ) fans to the series for the upcoming games on the PS4 like Azure Revolution and brand new VC game... or can it be also a preparation for giving 2 & 3 the same treatment?

VC Remastered opened at Number 3 in Japan selling 24K... and opened at No.6 in the UK.. will that engorge Sega?

Gaf realistic thoughts on the matter?

I played VC2 back when it came out. And IMO that is portable for a reason. It is super repetitive. Will be a hard sell on ps4 even with remaster. They should do a direct sequel to part 1 which IMO is the best game in the series. I never played 3 so can't comment.

Knurek

VC Remastered opened at Number 3 in Japan selling 24K... and opened at No.6 in the UK.. will that engorge Sega?

Gaf realistic thoughts on the matter?

500k+ sales on Steam weren't enough to engorge Sega to port the sequels.
Not sure why having the game on PS4 would change anything...

Nyoro SF

From the 4gamer interview I am working on:

4G: At the rate of the momentum the series is getting, is a remaster or such of VC2 and VC3 possible?

Mikami: You say "remaster", but it would end up being a "remake", wouldn't it? (Laughs). Regarding porting them over from the PSP... fixing up the resulting unsatisfactory parts would be a herculean effort. Whether it's actually practical to do, that in itself is tough to digest.

Ozawa: Because VC2 was my directoral debut and because I assisted in the world building elements of VC3 both of those games have a lot of meaning to me. If we could remake them, that would be great... but right now we're focusing all of our efforts on VAR.

Mikami: We've only given it thought for now. Remaking the entire series will be quite difficult, so we're going to talk about that possibility after Azure Revolution has been released.

That's probably the nicest way of saying "not gonna happen" that you're going to get.

yami4ct

Near zero. There's too much asset creation that would be required to bring the PSP games to PS4 acceptable standards.

Yep. I'd be shocked if much of that 2D art was created in a way that would look anywhere near good at 1080P. With stuff like that, you can't just up res it. There's no really 'res' to up.

Also, what audience would even buy a VC2 re-release? I like that game way way way more than other VC fans and even I wouldn't want to play it again.

Near zero. There's too much asset creation that would be required to bring the PSP games to PS4 acceptable standards.

Near zero

Zero. I'd just kill for a VC3 localization that I could run on my Vita.

I played VC2 back when it came out. And IMO that is portable for a reason. It is super repetitive. Will be a hard sell on ps4 even with remaster. They should do a direct sequel to part 1 which IMO is the best game in the series. I never played 3 so can't comment.

THIS, this, is why I asked in the VCR thread about how people would react if VC3 was localized through a 3DS port. Because a remaster is simply NOT happening if it's anything less than MCC tier, which Sega would never finance for a niche IP, and even if it was, people would bitch about it playing like a PSP game (See Type-0, Peace Walker).

Only way I see VC3 realistic coming west is 3DS and/or a relatively straight PC port where they don't have to meet whatever QA standards Sony has concerning remastering non-HD games.

Vita?

2O8vjfv.gif

Sales of the remaster will probably dictate all future VC games. If SEGA had a lot of hope they probably would've just blown the hinges off and made a VC collection with all 3 games.

Yep. I'd be shocked if much of that 2D art was created in a way that would look anywhere near good at 1080P. With stuff like that, you can't just up res it. There's no really 'res' to up.

Also, what audience would even buy a VC2 re-release? I like that game way way way more than other VC fans and even I wouldn't want to play it again.

Actually, I've got an image laying around I could dig up. Most of VC3's Visual-Novel art is 1080p downscaled to PSP resolution and filtered.

bigkrev

People aren't clamoring for it, and you would basically be remaking the games from scratch instead of porting anything over.

There is zero reason to do this over a sequel. Maybe if the sequel comes out, sells 5 million units, and they want something turned around in a year instead of 3 years for a follow up.

Cday

Banned
Less than or equal to a 100% chance.

If they have the original assets (lol) before they were PSP'd then I could see it scaling well enough due to the art style that it wouldn't need anything else done to it.

Honestly I think VC2 should be a firm SKIP. The fanbase already said "No." to it once.

VC3 should be priority for the sake of getting the full series localized.

Nyoro SF

VC3's localization would also be a massive effort. There is a ton of text and voice in the game; 20 chapters with 4-5 cutscenes each (talking head scenes), 20 character chapters with 3-4 cutscenes each, the dlc mission cutscenes, etc. There is a lot of dialogue, with the majority of it voiced. One DLC chapter has 20 minutes of voiced cutscenes.

In the best case scenario there's no way you're getting a dub... not an issue for me, but for language snobs who would pass up a good game because they might hear a language other than their own, oh no. :p

This is of course entertaining the hypothetical that we could get it somehow.

VC3's localization would also be a massive effort. There is a ton of text and voice in the game; 20 chapters with 4-5 cutscenes each (talking head scenes), 20 character chapters with 3-4 cutscenes each, the dlc mission cutscenes, etc. There is a lot of dialogue, with the majority of it voiced. One DLC chapter has 20 minutes of voiced cutscenes.

In the best case scenario there's no way you're getting a dub... not an issue for me, but for language snobs who would pass up a good game because they might hear a language other than their own, oh no. :p

This is of course entertaining the hypothetical that we could get it somehow.

So basically you're saying it's a Valkyria Chronicles game?

Isn't a new VC announced for PS4? Maybe they could do a port of the VC 2 and release it on PSN at least. (This one was released in the west, right?)

Pretty much.... lol

...Perhaps I should put it this way...

Companies with far greater overhead than Sega have localized games with much more text, voiced dialog, and cutscenes, with lower sales expectations than what Valkyria Chronicles has sold on Steam thus far.

I speak, of course, of Xenoblade and X, which between the first game's two versions and X have maybe matched VC1's Steam sales when combined.

AmuroChan

Isn't a new VC announced for PS4? Maybe they could do a port of the VC 2 and release it on PSN at least. (This one was released in the west, right?)

Yes, Valkyria Azure Revolution.

VC2 is on PSN, but you have to play it on the Vita. Theoretically you could play it on your TV via PSTV.

sublimit

Banned
I'd just kill for a VC3 localization that I could run on my Vita.

+1

The best we can hope is for a new Valkyria Chronicles 4 for consoles PC (Azure Revolution doesn't count although i still want it.)Maybe if the overall sales for the remaster are good enough Sega might consider it.

SeanTSC

Put in my Skies of Arcadia remaster/sequel begging in the last question while I was filling it out. Sega should know that we need those too.

butman

Haven't played 2 and 3.
It's really that the first Valkyria Chronicles the way better in the series?

While I'm sure that SoA/Atlus has people that would gladly love to do this, the decision ultimately comes down to SEGA of Japan. Personally, I'd like to see VC3 finally localized, it had some nice mechanics despite the limitations of the platform and the fact you could tell the game was made on a low budget.

The characters were also an intriguing part...well most of them anyways.

Vashzaron

My (not so well written) reviews that badly need cleanup

VC2: http://pastebin.com/6Takj0N0
VC3: http://pastebin.com/bDa9k8Mx

I know it won't salvage the story or setting, but gameplay-wise I see VC2's coop is overlooked as ever. I know chances aren't high that you would be able to find a friend or 3 to coop through the whole game with but in my case doing so made the game much more fun. There is also PVP, but it's balance... lol.

I'm actually playing through VC3 right now and was a bit annoyed at seeing it was removed, (prob because no one used it) but am enjoying the other improvements.

Jawmuncher

If they happen I think PC would be included as well. It was thanks to the push there that the PS4 version happened after all.

Also I don't think it would be as hard as people say. They would more than likely bundle both together though. PSP assets can scale decently outside the 2D assets. However I do think Sega would keep VC3 in Japanese to save costs.

Also I stand by VC2 being better than the first game. Like leagues better in fact to me.

Shahed

For those who liked the first Valkyria Chronicles and want to try 2nd game via a port on PS4, PC and whatever else. Trust me you do not want that game. If the Steam release and PS4 remaster builds up goodwill and interest in the series, playing the trash that is VCII will squander all of it and put the series in a worse off position. Valkyria Chronicles II is that bad.

Kyrios

For those who liked the first Valkyria Chronicles and want to try 2nd game via a port on PS4, PC and whatever else. Trust me you do not want that game. If the Steam release and PS4 remaster builds up goodwill and interest in the series, playing the trash that is VCII will squander all of it and put the series in a worse off position. Valkyria Chronicles II is that bad.

Honestly, it was the main character's laugh that always popped up during dialogue that realllly turned me off. "Tidus Laugh 2.0" as far as I'm concerned, ugh.

Honestly, it was the main character's laugh that always popped up during dialogue that realllly turned me off. "Tidus Laugh 2.0" as far as I'm concerned, ugh.

Except actually bad.

Tidus' laugh's problems weren't a matter of performance. It was a matter of it happening way too early, before the player was fully immersed in just how fucked a place Spira is. Some time after Mi'ihen or Via Purifico would have been perfection.

Top Bottom