• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The chance for Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3 HD Remastered for PS4 ?

Kyrios

There it is lol

Except actually bad.

Tidus' laugh's problems weren't a matter of performance. It was a matter of it happening way too early, before the player was fully immersed in just how fucked a place Spira is. Some time after Mi'ihen or Via Purifico would have been perfection.

Mi'ihen I would think. That's when it really started to set in for Tidus IMO. Kilika was the start of it, but Mi'ihen was like his "aha" moment.

Grief.exe

As I understand it, VC2 was also a strange departure from the series with VC3 being a return to form.

This puts Sega in a strange place for releasing those games again.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
As I understand it, VC2 was also a strange departure from the series with VC3 being a return to form.

VC3 is also an aesthetic and tonal departure from VC1, just in a different way.

Vita, 3DS and iOS/Android will work though

One of those platforms is basically dead (and already plays the PSP versions), one of those platforms will probably be dead soon (and wouldn't represent much of an improvement over the PSP versions), and two of those platforms has serious issues getting people to pay more than two bucks for a game.

I actually do think PC is the most likely place for a port, mostly because it'll actually be more acceptable for the game to be a straight port (or a simple up-res with improved textures). Even then, I can't imagine they'd be able to charge more than $20, given the precedent set by VC1 PC. Probably more like $20 for both, or skip VC2 and charge $20 for "Valkyria Chronicles: The Nameless."

Nyoro SF

I'd say both VC2 and VC3 are very much departures from VC1, due to the changes to the battle system. The flow of the story is also different in both games compared. VC3 is much more a product of "Cleaning up VC2's mess off the floor" then "going back to VC1", if that helps you understand the situation a little.

After playing VC3 to completion it really does strike you how much the game obsoletes VC2 despite still having flaws.

Dragun619

What if they get Bluepoint studios on it? Their Gravity Rush port was ace.

Even though they'd probably just do VC2 since everythings already available in English. VC3 just seems too far out, and we're talking about Sega too, lol.

dracula_x

What if they get Bluepoint studios on it? Their Gravity Rush port was ace.

Even though they'd probably just do VC2 since everythings already available in English. VC3 just seems too far out, and we're talking about Sega too, lol.
Gravity Rush was a Vita game. VC2/VC3 from PSP.

Shahed

Honestly, it was the main character's laugh that always popped up during dialogue that realllly turned me off. "Tidus Laugh 2.0" as far as I'm concerned, ugh.
I despised that laugh. There were other things that were worse when looking at it point by point. The story was awful. It lost the watercolour art. The maps were so limited and bland. The highschool setting and characters were so cringeworthy. For some stupid reason they thought adding grinding for loot that drops was a good thing. It's one thing if it was just for gear, but you had to grind for items in order to switch class. I mean one of the best things about the first game I loved compared to other SRPG's was that there was remotely no grinding in the slightest, yet they add it here for some bizarre reason.

I find all of those point and others are worse than Avan's laugh when analysing the game. Yet that stupid laugh was a constant ever present annoyance multiple times every custscene.

The only way VC2 & VC3 are on PS4 would be with a remake , not a remaster.

Get rid of the small maps , the portable pacing made so that anyone could stop at anytime.
The horrible story progression system of VC2 ( but keep the class system ), redo all the cinematics

And maybe , maybe it'll work

i can't belive how many times i played the same map over and over again with a different starting position each time.

They also had left over assets from GR dev to work with.

Terrorblot

I did a little reading on these two games and was pretty grossed out to hear they did the whole school/academy trope, I just totally lost interest when I heard that + handheld. Ironically I'd love to play a 3DS version of this game, just put it on an actual system I own.

The only way VC2 & VC3 are on PS4 would be with a remake , not a remaster.

Get rid of the small maps , the portable pacing made so that anyone could stop at anytime.
The horrible story progression system of VC2 ( but keep the class system ), redo all the cinematics

And maybe , maybe it'll work

i can't belive how many times i played the same map over and over again with a different starting position each time.

To be honest that was an issue with VC3 as well.

Dragun619

Aw shit, your right. Then damn, nvm, thats asking too much, haha.

VC2 was alright back then but I dont think I'd replay it unless I was dying for more VC and I would love to play VC3 but, yea, theyd be practically remaking them. It would be like an FF Type-0 situation, right?

Man, They Should of just kept the series on console. Smh.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
if they come out on PC maybe

That would make too much sense for Sega. Since launching VC they've largely been talking about PC ports but not doing much. I think they ported Lost World and that failed, that's about it.

hohoXD123

I mean, it's obviously a step down from VC but it's not that bad that you can't play it through emulators.

1ejuBEm.jpg

But yeah, it's not happening it seems.

Yasumi

Banned
Vita seems like pretty much best way they could go. Upresing would probably look pretty decent on the Vita's screen without a need to create a lot of new assets, minimal effort with a noticable yield.

They're also mechanically designed as portable games, being broken into smaller chunks. The system's still doing decently well in Japan, Sega's primary market, and is getting more games than a lot of systems, so it wouldn't even be weird.

Nyoro SF

Vita seems like pretty much best way they could go. Upresing would probably look pretty decent on the Vita's screen without a need to create a lot of new assets, minimal effort with a noticable yield.

They're also mechanically designed as portable games, being broken into smaller chunks. The system's still doing decently well in Japan, Sega's primary market, and is getting more games than a lot of systems, so it wouldn't even be weird.

Such a small upres would not sell, especially since VC3 has been playable on the Vita since forever at very nice discounts. An exclusive Vita version which adds such a pathetically small graphical upgrade would be derided by the public.

Just spent $80 on Valkyria Chronicles 3 because I have no faith in a Sega re-release.

Phew! I bought the digital version around 1.5 years ago for 3000-ish yen.

Is crowd funding not a option for niche title ports?

Not from major firms. They would be villified heavily for exploiting their fanbase to create their games for them. The reputation hit would be enormous.

Yasumi

Banned
Such a small upres would not sell, especially since VC3 has been playable on the Vita since forever at very nice discounts. An exclusive Vita version which adds such a pathetically small graphical upgrade would be derided by the public.
Not if it was a 2+3 collection that used the higher res assets that already exist. There have been ports with lesser upgrades with no such derision.

Takao

Banned

As opposed to a PS4 version of a PS3 game that was ported to PC and then sold for next to nothing?

Grief.exe

VC3 is also an aesthetic and tonal departure from VC1, just in a different way.

I'd say both VC2 and VC3 are very much departures from VC1, due to the changes to the battle system. The flow of the story is also different in both games compared. VC3 is much more a product of "Cleaning up VC2's mess off the floor" then "going back to VC1", if that helps you understand the situation a little.

After playing VC3 to completion it really does strike you how much the game obsoletes VC2 despite still having flaws.

Good to know.

Eusis

Aw shit, your right. Then damn, nvm, thats asking too much, haha.

VC2 was alright back then but I dont think I'd replay it unless I was dying for more VC and I would love to play VC3 but, yea, theyd be practically remaking them. It would be like an FF Type-0 situation, right?

Man, They Should of just kept the series on console. Smh.
I generally found it exasperating how people acted this way about some handheld games... although, given how VC2 repeated maps and VC3 got barred from US release subsequently, yeah, it'd probably have been better for a single VC2 on PS3 that was more content rich than VC2 and 3 that were shallower and with VC3 left behind in Japan.

Plus they were relatively ambitious SRPG-type games that prior consoles couldn't have done as well most likely, and it showed on PSP. Not like Dragon Quest that's stayed relatively faithful to its NES roots in regards to core gameplay, though not having a "to scale" world map again did kinda suck especially since that sort of thing didn't take off as well as I'd have liked.

Nyoro SF

Not if it was a 2+3 collection that used the higher res assets that already exist. There have been ports with lesser upgrades with no such derision.

Like which ones...? Danganronpa, which was heavily boosted by the anime? What grand success stories of PSP-to-Vita upres are out there? For content that has been playable on the same exact console for 4 years?

Murkas

Man VC2 was bad, I've forgotten everything about it even though I finished it. I remember anime tropes turned up to 11(a fucking swordsman class?), a colour blind bomb disposal person, grinding, and a girl who's tits were bigger than Selvaria's.

VC1 had so much meaty content, character bios, weapons, a glossary section, loving the PS4 remaster.

I'd rather they just localise VC3.

A taste thing, but personally I absolutely hate that xBRZ texture filter. I rather have things be pixelated than smudged.

Without it:

VC3 also had a small but noticeable improvement on the overall graphics from VC2.

Hmm, all things considered, I wonder how many VC1 assets could be reused for remastering VC3.

Honestly, I don't think something akin to MCC/Type-0 would be a good idea. I think FF9's Mobile/PC version could be a good goalpost though.

Yasumi

Banned
Like which ones...? Danganronpa, which was heavily boosted by the anime? What grand success stories of PSP-to-Vita upres are out there? For content that has been playable on the same exact console for 4 years?
Moving the goalposts much? I wasn't just talking about PSP->Vita ports, but ports in general. The public wouldn't care about a Valkyria Chronicles 2/3 port period.

They were made for PSP, so it makes sense they stick to a portable, since they'd be compared to console games, and people would realize the games kind of suck in that format. It'd be a money sink to create and update assets for two games that'd be brought down by being on a non-portable platform. Just look how Type Zero turned out.

Nyoro SF

Moving the goalposts much? I wasn't just talking about PSP->Vita ports, but ports in general. The public wouldn't care about a Valkyria Chronicles 2/3 port period.

They were made for PSP, so it makes sense they stick to a portable, since they'd be compared to console games, and people would realize the games kind of suck in that format. It'd be a money sink to create and update assets for two games that'd be brought down by being on a non-portable platform. Just look how Type Zero turned out.

Vita seems like pretty much best way they could go.

Don't blame me when you plant your own goalposts... you framed the Vita as a low investment, noticeable yield platform for these PSP games that are perfectly playable on Vita. But consumers are not that misinformed in Japan or America, and there's no way a re-release would succeed even on a niche scale. Even Vita remakes that receive graphical upgrades, musical upgrades and full voice like Trails Evolution series only succeed with niche sales... a game with purely a res-up isn't going anywhere.

Now whether or not these games would bomb n' crater on every platform regardless of investment that I have no idea. I think the devs have been pretty clear that they'd have to do a full remake, which I don't think is feasible, so these games are kind of stuck forever. But you won't hear me advocating for a release that furthers the series into Japan-only territory.

Aru

VC2 is the worst game in the series but come on guys. It's not that bad. At worst a 8/10 game. Would totally buy a VC2+3 Collection :)

I know my opinion on VC2 has been meh (to be fair I did pre-order it when they first announced it), but I will admit that the game had some good casting for the English dub. You had Crispin Freeman, Ali Hillis, Troy Baker, James Arnold Taylor, and even John DiMaggio came back. Kind of surprising to me anyways.

Fisty

I suggested they spruce up and localize 3 for the Vita in the survey. They need to strike while the iron is moderately lukewarm.

VC3's localization would also be a massive effort. There is a ton of text and voice in the game; 20 chapters with 4-5 cutscenes each (talking head scenes), 20 character chapters with 3-4 cutscenes each, the dlc mission cutscenes, etc. There is a lot of dialogue, with the majority of it voiced. One DLC chapter has 20 minutes of voiced cutscenes.

In the best case scenario there's no way you're getting a dub... not an issue for me, but for language snobs who would pass up a good game because they might hear a language other than their own, oh no. :p

This is of course entertaining the hypothetical that we could get it somehow.

It's highly likely the game is already translated and just never used. As an owner of the artbook, all the screens are translated in English. Did they just translate them all and fit them in the box perfectly for an art book? Unlikely. The translation happened, the PSP died, VC2 tanked, and VC3 was never released. Can't blame them for that.

With that out of the way VC3 should be remade and released over here. We buy VC games at roughly twice the rate of our Japanese counterparts and at this juncture, many of us including myself, have triple dipped on the first game. We are hungry for this stuff. Give us the 3rd, we will make it successful. Then make Azure Revolution not suck, also worldwide release. Stop cutting the legs off the franchise, cutting out it's largest market, and then wonder why it doesn't do well? In essence, stop being Sega, give it to Atlus and give them more people.

Also the Vita is dead. Stop acting like porting anything to it is a viable business decision. It is not. Let it go. Bringing them to the ps4/Steam is the only thing that makes even the slightest bit of sense.

Not a chance. SEGA is pretty clueless with that IP. You'd think with the recent success of VC on Steam, they'd build over that and try to make the series back to its root on PS4/PC ?
No, let's make an A-RPG spin off.

It's highly likely the game is already translated and just never used. As an owner of the artbook, all the screens are translated in English. Did they just translate them all and fit them in the box perfectly for an art book? Unlikely. The translation happened, the PSP died, VC2 tanked, and VC3 was never released. Can't blame them for that.

Given how quickly VC3 was released in Japan after VC2's US release before they had a full image of VC2's western sales (As in, VC3 was announced before VC2 even came out in the US), I'd imagine *some* localization efforts were underway by the time they decided to not localize it, but no, there's no chance the game was fully translated. That artbook's English release was teased for, like forever before it finally came out. A lot of that translated dialog was probably being translated for the first time.

Not a chance. SEGA is pretty clueless with that IP. You'd think with the recent success of VC on Steam, they'd build over that and try to make the series back to its root on PS4/PC ?

These words, these words are of a man who does not understand the process of game development. Azure Revolution was announced barely a year after VC1's PC release. Most games not called "Call of Duty" are in development for a longer amount of time than one year before being announced. Logic dictates VAR was greenlit before VC1 was announced for Steam.

A.E Suggs

Yep. I'd be shocked if much of that 2D art was created in a way that would look anywhere near good at 1080P. With stuff like that, you can't just up res it. There's no really 'res' to up.

Also, what audience would even buy a VC2 re-release? I like that game way way way more than other VC fans and even I wouldn't want to play it again.
The persona fanbase maybe? Probably not but cute females does sell games like those. All they'd have to do is add dating and vc2 would probably beat out vc1 steam sales.

Alucrid

Banned

but we got one gothic lolita character and one bondage character. isn't that what vc fans want?

Given how quickly VC3 was released in Japan after VC2's US release before they had a full image of VC2's western sales (As in, VC3 was announced before VC2 even came out in the US), I'd imagine *some* localization efforts were underway by the time they decided to not localize it, but no, there's no chance the game was fully translated. That artbook's English release was teased for, like forever before it finally came out. A lot of that translated dialog was probably being translated for the first time.

To be fair, most of UDON's artbooks get announced and then see a lot of delays (usually for quality/licensor approval reasons). UDON has said that received no localized files from SEGA when they translated the VC3 book, so it was basically all done on their own and they tried to line up the terminology with the previous games.

VC3 itself has a lot of assets that actually use English text, so I imagine the localization process (if it did exist) might have been easier to accomplish had it not two factors that probably killed it: VC2 sales and the PSP's performance outside Japan.

These words, these words are of a man who does not understand the process of game development. Azure Revolution was announced barely a year after VC1's PC release. Most games not called "Call of Duty" are in development for a longer amount of time than one year before being announced. Logic dictates VAR was greenlit before VC1 was announced for Steam.

yea, if they're shooting for 2016 release, VAR was probably already set in motion before the PC version's release. Theoretically, VC's PC was testing waters for bringing VAR to the West (while the PS4 version was for within Japan).

Nyoro SF

With that out of the way VC3 should be remade and released over here. We buy VC games at roughly twice the rate of our Japanese counterparts and at this juncture, many of us including myself, have triple dipped on the first game. We are hungry for this stuff. Give us the 3rd, we will make it successful. Then make Azure Revolution not suck, also worldwide release. Stop cutting the legs off the franchise, cutting out it's largest market, and then wonder why it doesn't do well? In essence, stop being Sega, give it to Atlus and give them more people.

Also the Vita is dead. Stop acting like porting anything to it is a viable business decision. It is not. Let it go. Bringing them to the ps4/Steam is the only thing that makes even the slightest bit of sense.

Indeed the Vita is not a usable proposition anymore, for reasons that are obvious even to the most armchair of armchair marketers.

Regarding the VC3 thing, I'd have to look at my artbook once more to see if it was a photoshop of text in or actual in-game graphics. Let me see....

OK, after looking into my book, that English text is definitely shopped in. For one it's too high-res to be game text, and it's missing the "continue" arrow that appears at the end of every text line in the game. Sorry my friend. I share some of your confidence regarding Western releases and getting the games in the hands of everyone at the same time, not just Japan and China.

Top Bottom