• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's name the Nintendo NX (and next handheld)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

I honestly like the name 'NX' and hope they keep it.
We already know that they won't. It's just a codename, one that Kimishima isn't aware of its meaning (something that Iwata likely took with him to the grave ;_;).

Galava

*Ad starts playing at NX reveal event*

*kid playing Mario Kart 9 on TV*

*kid gets up, takes a handheld console thing and leaves the house*

*keeps playing the same game with his friends just where he left it*

*text appears*

NX

*N and X get apart and logo transforms into:*

(ok, you can cut that last part)

Nintendo Home X Nintendo Go
There's no PLAY like it.
Anywhere, anytime.
play.png

I wouldn't be surprised if it really ends up releasing as NX. Remember, 3DS was supposed to be a temporary name (though it was a little too good to leave it there).

Anyway, unlike with competing consoles we are not exactly sure yet what NX really is. If it turns out to be just what everyone thinks it is (shared architecture, maybe with GamePad Lite for whatever reason), the Home/Go idea is very good, especially given the US "no play like that" marketing. If it turns out to be something crazier, then maybe there's a more appropriate name.

Neoxon

*Ad starts playing at NX reveal event*

*kid playing Mario Kart 9 on TV*

*kid gets up, takes a handheld console thing and leaves the house*

*keeps playing the same game with his friends just where he left it*

*text appears*

NX

*N and X get apart and logo transforms into:*

(ok, you can cut that last part)

Nintendo Home X Nintendo Go
There's no PLAY like it.
Anywhere, anytime.
play.png
Nintendo, hire this man.

tsab

Part of the reason why Nintendo ditched the Game Boy brand was to be more gender-neutral (gotta be more welcoming to the ladies). That plus the whole "third pillar" thing that was happening with the DS at the time.

New Game Boy / New Game Girl

Game Boy comes in mannish blue with the OS having exploding letters everywhere, and the edge of the console acts like a bottle opener,

Game Girl comes in girly pink, the stylus can be used as an eyeliner also the screen acts as a mirror.

I am not serious

RGamer2009

Neo Member
The Nintendo Nexus. Seems fitting for what they are describing it is like too.

The handheld would be the Nexus P. P is for portable and potential.

Ansatz

Do they want to position the handheld as a portable device by using the word Go or something similar and thus place themselves simply as a direct competitor to mobile?

I think the name should aim to differentiate the system from the main purpose of other products on the market, like "3D with no glasses" was for 3DS.

Neoxon

New Game Boy / New Game Girl

Game Boy comes in mannish blue with the OS having exploding letters everywhere, and the edge of the console acts like a bottle opener,

Game Girl comes in girly pink, the stylus can be used as an eyeliner also the screen acts as a mirror.

I am not serious
Oh good, you're not serious, because you do not want to step on the land-mine known as feminism.

I wouldn't be surprised if it really ends up releasing as NX. Remember, 3DS was supposed to be a temporary name (though it was a little too good to leave it there).

Anyway, unlike with competing consoles we are not exactly sure yet what NX really is. If it turns out to be just what everyone thinks it is (shared architecture, maybe with GamePad Lite for whatever reason), the Home/Go idea is very good, especially given the US "no play like that" marketing. If it turns out to be something crazier, then maybe there's a more appropriate name.
But the issue with keeping the NX name is if someone does a search after the reveal, they'll pull up a shit-ton of false rumors on Google. Nintendo would probably want a name that would clean up house in terms of the message, including those who choose to do research on their own after the initial reveal.

Nintendo New X-Play BoxStation For Cool Kids

it creates two great situations for Nintendo

1. anyone confused and buying something as a gift will just get it, since they assume a kid asking for a playstation or xbox is asking for this

2. the "for cool kids" is really important, so any kid who doesn't get one knows they aren't cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom