• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo demoed Switch 2 to devs at Gamescom | Sources Claim it runs Matrix UE5 Demo With Comparable Graphics to PS5/XSX

Sharing this one here because it's coming from a more reputable source this time around (e.g. Eurogamer).

In Cologne last month, Nintendo's public Gamescom showfloor booth let you play Pikmin 4 and Super Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. But behind the scenes, the company had more up its sleeves.

Developer presentations for Switch 2 took place behind closed doors, Eurogamer understands, with partners shown tech demos of how well the system is designed to run.

One Switch 2 demo is a souped up version of Switch launch title Zelda: Breath of the Wild, designed to hit the Switch 2's beefier target specs. (To be clear, though - this is just a tech demo. There's no suggestion the game will be re-released.)
Another VGC source claimed that Nintendo showcased Epic’s impressive The Matrix Awakens Unreal Engine 5 tech demo – originally released to showcase the power of PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X in 2021 – running on target specs for its next console.

The demo is said to have been running using Nvidia’s DLSS upscaling technology, with advanced ray tracing enabled and visuals comparable to Sony‘s and Microsoft’s current-gen consoles (however, it should be noted this does not mean the Switch successor will sport raw power anywhere near that of PS5 or Xbox Series X, which aren’t portable devices).
Nintendo is yet to publicly discuss plans for its inevitable Switch successor, though its new hardware is widely-expected to launch at some point in 2024. Word that it is now being shown to external developers comes as details have begun to emerge around when we may see the system launch.

A recent report pinned Switch 2's arrival for the latter part of next year, with development kits now in the hands of some key partners. This chimed with what Eurogamer had also previously heard, though on timing I understand Nintendo is keen to launch the system sooner if possible.
Publicly, Nintendo has announced a strong line-up of games to see the current Switch through the rest of 2023 and into the start of next year, with the impressive-looking Super Mario Bros. Wonder, a Super Mario RPG remake and a new WarioWare all coming this side of Christmas.

2024 will bring a new Princess Peach game and a port of Luigi's Mansion 2. The long-awaited Metroid Prime 4, meanwhile, still holds a "TBA" launch date.

Nintendo did not comment when approached for a response.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
i was 10 seconds away from posting the thread gg
crushed noo GIF

One Switch 2 demo is a souped up version of Switch launch title Zelda: Breath of the Wild, designed to hit the Switch 2's beefier target specs. (To be clear, though - this is just a tech demo. There's no suggestion the game will be re-released.)

what if a remake will be announced later

Last edited:

Zuzu

I hope they release a performance & fidelity update for Tears of the Kingdom at release of the Switch 2. I might upgrade to it pretty quickly if they do that.

Poltz

Another VGC source claimed that Nintendo showcased Epic’s impressive The Matrix Awakens Unreal Engine 5 tech demo – originally released to showcase the power of PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X in 2021 – running on target specs for its next console.

The demo is said to have been running using Nvidia’s DLSS 3.5 upscaling technology, with advanced ray tracing enabled and visuals comparable to Sony and Microsoft’s current-gen consoles.

Last edited:

The demo is said to have been running using Nvidia’s DLSS 3.5 upscaling technology, with advanced ray tracing enabled and visuals comparable to Sony and Microsoft’s current-gen consoles.
Will add to the OP! Tyvm!

Edit: Also, HOLY SHIT if what VGC says there is true!

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
crushed noo GIF

what if a remake will be announced later
Okay that's it. I bought TTOK full price, still haven't played it but now I definitely won't and will just want for the Switch 2 instead.

All I want is 60fps on that thing.

So maybe we get a proper reveal soon?

The gap between the reveal and the release will be likely the smallest gap we’ve ever seen for a console launch. Nintendo’s all about selling the current Switch and won’t want to stop that gravy train until it absolutely has to. Realistically if the system launches next September or October, it wouldn’t be revealed til June or July.

Last edited:

If this is true, about DLSS and running that Matrix demo, (DLSS is docked-only, I assume), very curious to see what the specs are vs expected battery life, and how they are going to make money on this thing Day One, assuming it launches at $399, to keep it mass market. I feel like the best result they can hope for fidelity-wise is something on the level of PS4 Pro/ One X, minus the 4K part.

Last edited:

BlackTron

crushed noo GIF

GIF is still an appropriate response for this news

The 3.5 has been removed from the article.

I don’t think it will be that beefy, Nintendo will want a day one profit for the console.

Unless they launch it at $449.

Last edited:

Tangerine

Promises promises.

Seriously though, hope it's true but I'm curious how a screen and battery can fit into a much smaller enclosure than a series X and is what... 3 years more advanced at best? DLSS must be doing a lot of the work? Hmmm.

Sounds more powerful than the Rog ally and that was £700

Woopah

The 3.5 has been removed from the article.

I don’t think it will be that beefy, Nintendo will want a day one profit for the console.

Unless they launch it at $449.
Would the console have to be that much more beefy to run 3.5 as opposed to earlier forms of DLSS?

BlackTron

If it is and it launches early next year, I see the series consoles tanking even more than they already are.

I've been mulling getting a Switch but at launch price and so soon with its successor, I will wait.

Just get a used old model for $200 and ride it until holiday next year. Which is when it's coming. I say 5% chance Switch 2 comes before then, and I even feel silly saying that.

Holammer

If that thing runs the Matrix demo (runs it well anyway), we're not looking at a lightweight CPU for mobile devices.
I going to laugh my ass off if AMD ends up producing hardware for every console in the market.

Spyxos

Gold Member

Sounds kind of unbelievable, maybe they have 2 versions like S and X.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

I have to wonder if Nintendo comes through and finally finds away to bring the consoles abilities even close to what we are hearing. Will we finally get full on Western support and ports, all the big hitters. Could Nintendo threaten Sony and Microsofdt even more thant it already does, add in their cheap online. Could we see some epic domination? Pretty exciting, I want to believe!

Montauk

The Switch 2 is going to be able to run photorealistic graphics at 4K/120 with full path-traced raytracing. I can’t believe this. Nintendo have done it again.

Developers have said that they were unable to distinguish between the graphics on the Switch 2’s screen and reality. Incredible. This is all definitely real.

Last edited:

Woopah

Promises promises.

Seriously though, hope it's true but I'm curious how a screen and battery can fit into a much smaller enclosure than a series X and is what... 3 years more advanced at best? DLSS must be doing a lot of the work? Hmmm.

Sounds more powerful than the Rog ally and that was £700
I don't think it will be matching Series X, but could get near the S

I have to wonder if Nintendo comes through and finally finds away to bring the consoles abilities even close to what we are hearing. Will we finally get full on Western support and ports, all the big hitters. Could Nintendo threaten Sony and Microsofdt even more thant it already does, add in their cheap online. Could we see some epic domination? Pretty exciting, I want to believe!
Abso-fucking-lutely, I expect that most of the big releases going forward to be there on Switch 2 day and date alongside PS5 and XBS.

Last edited:

E-Cat

Omg!! Do not get excited, do not get excited....

Woopah

Nintendo did a Zelda tech demo for the WiiU in 2011, that demo had graphics that hasn’t been seen in the Switch.

Seems they are doing the same again.
I'm not sure how that answers the question. As in you think the tech demo used DLSS 3.5, but actual Switch 2 games will use an earlier form of DLSS?

The Switch 2 is going to be able to run photorealistic graphics at 4K/120 with full path-traced raytracing. I can’t believe this. Nintendo have done it again.

Developers have said that they were unable to distinguish between the graphics on the Switch 2’s screen and reality. Incredible. This is all definitely real.
I think the disappointment for a lot of people will be huge when the system will receive the same treatment as the current switch.

Montauk

The Matrix demo has been revealed to have become a full game, and the first Switch 2 exclusive.

Due to the power of the Switch 2, it looks twice as good as it did in that original concept demo and runs at 60fps visual mode and 120fps performance mode in 4K.

Given this level of power it is simply incredible that the Switch 2 will only cost $250 and will also suck your dick.

Top Bottom