• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UniversoNintendo: Switch 2 hardware will feature 12 GB of RAM and raytracing. DLSS will be 3.1 instead of 3.5

shamoomoo

Ray tracing on a PS4 hardware
tonight GIF
I doubt Nintendo would use ray tracing, maybe in dock mode but I feel like they would go with a streamline approach instead of having a performance or quality mode. Ray tracing would drain their battery.

I’m wondering if there’s two models to this thing, or if it’s got some extra specs when docked. Like if it launches at $399 there’s only so much power it could have, in a portable form factor.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Nvidia’s naming convention for DLSS versions is weird. It will really come down to the IP used in the SoC. If it’s Ampere then it won’t have FG or AI RT denoising from 3.5. If it’s Ada FG is a possibility, but the screen and game still need to support it and have the frame rate high enough.

12GB RAM is kind of low.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Nvidia’s naming convention for DLSS versions is weird. It will really come down to the IP used in the SoC. If it’s Ampere then it won’t have FG or AI RT denoising from 3.5. If it’s Ada FG is a possibility, but the screen and game still need to support it and have the frame rate high enough.

12GB RAM is kind of low.
low? its more memory than the XSS when it will have a fraction of the power

Del_X

Looking forward to a $499 handheld from Nintendo.

edit: could it just be a devkit which often has a lot more RAM? 6GB seems more reasonable and that's what you'll find in a lot phones.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

Nintendo is always trying to find ways to minimize emulation piracy.
Wii was almost a surefire way with motion controls, then nintendo ds etc.

I think Nintendo might double down on using dlss for 1st party titles.

When it comes to dlss many people barely have rtx gpu cards. Making emulation less desirable due to emulation looking/running shitty.

Beechos

With the way these rumors are going can we reasonably expect a price of less than $399? We still have the display, storage, battery/cooling/form factor and possibly dock. Nvidia isn't exactly known for low chip prices either.

iorek21

Já não bastam as barrigadas que os twitteiros dão sobre futebol, agora tem barrigada de videogame.

In other words:

He probably knows nothing and his source is Águas de Lindóia.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
With the way these rumors are going can we reasonably expect a price of less than $399? We still have the display, storage, battery/cooling/form factor and possibly dock. Nvidia isn't exactly known for low chip prices either.

The Switch OLED is almost at that price, and that's 6 years old (except for the display) so yeah...

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
At the very least they can throw away the Temporal Upscaler they created for for XB3.
Do they really need to? Doesn't it upscale from 540p to 1080p with great quality? There's always the possibility that Nintendo doesn't need DLSS or FSR since they might have their own proprietary internal upscaler which may work better for them, maybe even based on DLSS or using tensor cores.

amigastar

I don't wanna sound like a graphics whore but i would welcome PS4 Pro+ level of graphical performance. I can only imagine a new Mario game with those graphics.

Mister Wolf

Do they really need to? Doesn't it upscale from 540p to 1080p with great quality? There's always the possibility that Nintendo doesn't need DLSS or FSR since they might have their own proprietary internal upscaler which may work better for them, maybe even based on DLSS or using tensor cores.

DLSS is the gold standard for Temporal Upscalers. All others pale in comparison.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

12gb is low, will be a mistake for 3rd party's. They should opt for 16gb minimum.

Framegen would be great, but its nintendo highly doubt they care for performance much. Most of there games don't require it.

Astral Dog

12gb is low, will be a mistake for 3rd party's. They should opt for 16gb minimum.

Framegen would be great, but its nintendo highly doubt they care for performance much. Most of there games don't require it.
I expected 8GB to be honest,Nintendo has always been somewhat conservative with memory budget,they prefer a balanced approach with other components and price

Switch 2 being portable would be closer to 8th generation in raw power,those machines only reserved 5GB for games, 12 GB would be a notable jump even if say 10GB was for games.

It could pass Xbox Series S wich is the lowest spec for current gen,but still wouldn't be able to produce anywhere near the visual quality of an XSS, so in theory it doesn't need as much memory,it makes it slightly easier to port games

For a humble handheld device, to approach the new home console at least in the amount of memory is uncommon, but of course the new home consoles all launched with less than expected RAM amounts.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'm just happy to see any progress towards a switch 2. I have lots of complaints about switch 1 but I feel like switch 2 will be a favorite machine for me.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Do any of the chips that might be in this even have the hardware for DLSS?

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Is this thing gonna cost $500?
What if it is and it's gonna coexist with the original Switch for a couple of years? Enthusiasts buy the new one, casuals and kids get the old Switch until the new one drops in price and replaces it completely.

edit: could it just be a devkit which often has a lot more RAM? 6GB seems more reasonable and that's what you'll find in a lot phones.

Nintendo’s all about family friendly mass market appeal. No way they launch above $399, they’ll at least have one model at that price.

I think it’ll launch with 8GB. 12GB is prolly just what’s on early dev kits

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member

Are you sure you play Nintendo games? They're mostly solid 30 or 60 fps, while their flagships titles except for Zelda and Animal Crossing being all 60 fps, basically locked with weird exceptions like Bowser's Fury Dropping into mid 50s at moments.

Even Zelda TOTK is pretty solid 30 and the reason it goes down to 20 is because of triple buffer iirc, they did so in order for the game having instant response times.

Nintendo is very serious regarding is performance, they won't ever try to fit more than they can eat in their consoles.

I hope it's like, 4 TF when docked, 1 TF when undocked.

In docked mode, all fans can kick in for cooling with no concern for battery life.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Nintendo is deeply entrenched in my soul. I legit don't think anyone comes close when it comes to sheer gameplay and new design philosophy that the industry leeches from. They make the whole industry better. It takes genius work to make something that can seem so simple and deep at the same time. God tier company imo. I can't wait for this.

And yes, I bought and loved a wii u.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

GymWolf

Boy after all these leaks i'm gonna laugh my ass off if switch 2 is gonna be another underpowered, overpriced shitty tablet :lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Are you sure you play Nintendo games? They're mostly solid 30 or 60 fps, while their flagships titles except for Zelda and Animal Crossing being all 60 fps, basically locked with weird exceptions like Bowser's Fury Dropping into mid 50s at moments.

Even Zelda TOTK is pretty solid 30 and the reason it goes down to 20 is because of triple buffer iirc, they did so in order for the game having instant response times.

Nintendo is very serious regarding is performance, they won't ever try to fit more than they can eat in their consoles.

Nintendo formula is simple.

They release a new console or handheld, to reboot there entire line of same games again with new features and newish solutions. So what are there goal for the next 2 zelda's? which are there most demanding games. feature big city's? they need probably better cpu / memory performance. They won't feature that? anything will work.

They want 3rd party developers to join in? get around steam deck performance with dlss and framegen or even below it and a new feature set that will all work out fine.

Thing will launch with a updated mario kart 8 aka 9, a new animal crossing, a new this and a new that and easy money.

Woopah

12GB on dev kit means 6GB in retail version. Kinda scary if it's dev kit.
The rumour is 12GB "for cosumers". So dev kit could be 16GB.

With the way the OLED is selling at $349, Switch 2 is $399 minimum.
Do any of the chips that might be in this even have the hardware for DLSS?
We know Nvidia is building a SoC for Nintendo that has tensor cores (T239)
This guy is the Brazilian Nate Drake, he knows nothing except the Nintendo direct dates 2 weeks in advance and just piggybacks once serious outlets release the info.

I'm on another forum where him and Nate Drake constantly con the members into believe they are "insiders", it's hilariou
We know Nate has contacts for first party games as well, but I imagine his information on Switch 2 is coming from the third party contacts.

Darn even Switch to be held back by S… you monster ;).

Seriously, 12 GB of RAM for a handheld is possible but it will not be the high bandwidth speed people imagine (too power consuming).
Someone in the other thread has mentioned that they'll most likely use either LPDDR5-6400 or LPDDR5X-7500, which gives ~102GB/s respectively ~136GB/s of memory bandwidth. I think this should be good enough for 720p in portable mode and 1080p upscalled via DLSS to a higher output resolution in docked mode.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
So that basically means no framegen right? Or is that DLSS 3.0+, and 3.5 is just the RT denoising stuff?

DLSS3 was original with FrameGeneration, 3.5 was/is with Enhanced RayTracing.
But its not actually that anymore, DLSS3 doesnt necessitate FrameGeneration now.

Unless the chip in the SuperSwitch is super custom and it has a custom Optical Flow Accelerator thats much more powerful than the Turing and Ampere ones then it doesnt have the hardware to actually achieve decent DLSS FrameGeneration.

how-nvidia-dlss-3-works.jpg

RoadHazard

Gold Member
DLSS3 was original with FrameGeneration, 3.5 was/is with Enhanced RayTracing.
But its not actually that anymore, DLSS3 doesnt necessitate FrameGeneration now.

Unless the chip in the SuperSwitch is super custom and it has a custom Optical Flow Accelerator thats much more powerful than the Turing and Ampere ones then it doesnt have the hardware to actually achieve decent DLSS FrameGeneration.

how-nvidia-dlss-3-works.jpg

Ok, so what does DLSS 3 even mean then, compared to 2? Nothing? Or there are improvements to the upscaling as well I guess?

Top Bottom