• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor | Nintendo Switch 2 May Use Samsung 5th Generation V-NAND With up to 1.4 GB/S Read Speed

They know their customers will buy anything. Look at the WiiU.
more like witness it
kCxeeE4.jpeg

When Nintendo does tech demos to third parties, it makes perfect sense for to demonstrate faster loading (BOTW) and UE5 compatability (Matrix).
They never cared why they now would care? It makes perfect sense for you but for Nintendo? I understand what you say - this was a demonstration for 3rd parties but they don't care for RT at all too - they will downscale it's game for the platform that sale well.

Woopah

They never cared why they now would care? It makes perfect sense for you but for Nintendo? I understand what you say - this was a demonstration for 3rd parties but they don't care for RT at all too - they will downscale it's game for the platform that sale well.
Because when Nintendo is doing a tech demo for Switch 2, they will care about the tech and need to talk about the tech. Same as with precious platforms.

Most times Nintendo doesn't bother talking about tech to the general public. But that doesn't mean they don't talk tech with developers.

The goal of a presentation at Gamescom is to persuade developers to make games for Switch 2. Therefore Nintendo needs to show them what the machine is capable of and talk about the specs (some of which we know from the Nvidia hack).

They will care about RT and DLSS on Switch 2 in a similar way to how they care about FSR on Switch.

black-friday-nintendo-switch-sales-740x416.jpg

The Nintendo Switch 2 may use Samsung 5th generation V-NAND, which would be a huge step up from its predecessor, judging from some recent findings.

As reported by Doctre81 in a new video shared on YouTube, the LinkedIn page of a former Samsung Electronics Device Solution Division Senior Director who's been at the company until 2019 lists among key qualifications and responsibilities having led the development of a NAND Flash Controller device for an unspecified Nintendo game card. Among the key achievements, the former Samsung employee also lists the development of Secure eMMC Card powered by Samsung Memory's 5th generation V-NAND Flash, which seems to line up not only with the NAND Flash Controller device for the unspecified Nintendo game card but also with some other information, such as innovating security for unspecified proprietary hardware and designing a new PUF IP (Physical Unclonable Function).
The Nintendo Switch 2 requiring faster read speeds than its predecessor isn't exactly surprising, but Nintendo using Samsung 5th Generation V-NAND is still great news, even though it is, by today's standards, somewhat dated tech, as Samsung is working on 9th and 10th generations V-NAND, with the latter planned to be released in 2025. Still, the up to 1.4 GB/s speeds featured by the 5th generation should be more than enough for the new console, and a major step up from its predecessor.

Very little is known about the Nintendo Switch 2, other than the fact that it will be powered once again by NVIDIA technology. The T239 chip will be a massive step up over the Tegra X1 chip powering the current Nintendo system, as it is said to support features such as NVIDIA DLSS upscaling and Ray Reconstruction that is will likely make it the best ray tracing capable gaming system on the market.

Source: https://wccftech.com/nintendo-switch-2-samsung-v-nand/

eMMC? Lame.

They will care about RT and DLSS on Switch 2 in a similar way to how they care about FSR on Switch.
Pardon who from the developers care about RT? Name one who said 'we don't do a game without RT'.
FSR is not require specialized hardware. And we are talking about efficient portable machine🤦‍♂️
They literally did...
By making ton of amazing games for it :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
How are you so sure?

Also, it's not that they are against device power, it's just that they rather balance power + price since they know their audience don't care about power more than they do for games.

That means: If they could make a console that could run games in 8k @240fps with graphics above those in AW2 for in the next year and sell it below $200 with profits, they would definitely go for it instead of saying "oh no, alucard0712_rus said we didn't care about high tech and he's right, it's too good for us, give us something just a little below PS4 Nvidia".

For the reasons why they'd go for power this time around:

1. They've built an amazing relationship with 3rd parties and are probably accepting some of their demands so they can have more games day-1

2. Everyone got in the "portable computer" bandwagon and they need to stop people from trying to emulate their console so easily, making the console powerful enough is a good tactic (among others)

3. PS5 technology isn't rocket science and PS4 was weak when it came out, surpassing PS4 and having PS5-like features set (and even more advanced ones) isn't impossible and probably not that expensive with current Nvidia as a partner

How are you so sure?

Also, it's not that they are against device power, it's just that they rather balance power + price since they know their audience don't care about power more than they do for games.

That means: If they could make a console that could run games in 8k @240fps with graphics above those in AW2 for in the next year and sell it below $200 with profits, they would definitely go for it instead of saying "oh no, alucard0712_rus said we didn't care about high tech and he's right, it's too good for us, give us something just a little below PS4 Nvidia".

For the reasons why they'd go for power this time around:

1. They've built an amazing relationship with 3rd parties and are probably accepting some of their demands so they can have more games day-1

2. Everyone got in the "portable computer" bandwagon and they need to stop people from trying to emulate their console so easily, making the console powerful enough is a good tactic (among others)

3. PS5 technology isn't rocket science and PS4 was weak when it came out, surpassing PS4 and having PS5-like features set (and even more advanced ones) isn't impossible and probably not that expensive with current Nvidia as a partner
Because it will be stupid in my opinion? Just logic?

I just put it quickly, English is not my native so don't judge me hard. Those are some of my points:

1. We use ray-tracing only with DLSS or other upscaler.
2. Switch 2 is certainly a 1080p machine. Maybe with ability to display at 4K because number of Tensor cores needed for proper 4K display T239 is not capable of. Even in full RTX2050 variant. (look at DF video). So true 4K is out of question.
3. Every upscaler works worse lower the input resolution: for 4K Nvidia recommends 'Performance' preset. 'Balanced' for 1440p and 'Quality' at 1080p so lower resolution you go - less beneficial it gets, obviously.
4. If you are using RT you need those Tensor cores to do both denoising (which by itself making a picture blurry and ghosty) and DLSS and what you will get is very expensive and very low quality picture that requires both additional Tensor and RT cores - all of that on a hand-held platform where every bit of die silicon and power matters A LOT.
5. We suppose that Nintendo will make hardware that make profit, and presumably at 400$.

So you get 360p-540p upscaled and killed by denoiser image, but yeah, this is with RT effects which 90% of a people cannot distinguish from non RT and don't care at all.
And all of this for what? For NeoGaf to look at it and say 'Why they are even bothered by this shit'? :messenger_grinning_smiling:
Now combine all of this and this is pretty much why I think it's stupid given all those circumstances. You know that good games sell well have those RT effects or not - it's not important at all. Especially if what you get will be low quality and with wasted die space/build cost/performance/battery life.

It's just my opinion and I will welcome everything 'extra' from Nintendo. I will be glad if Nintendo find a way (like OPTIONAL Dock station with all whistles RT's, DLSS, 4K and such) to make very powerful console but I expect less.

StereoVsn

Its a great machine with one of the best software catalogs ever and when you’re ready to upgrade like 95% of stuff will work on ps5.

I just wish Nintendo pushed a little that’s all, Orin is a 2022 product - it shouldn’t be on a 2025 product. That’s all.
I just mainly treat PS5 as my PS4 Pro Max + machine! 😉

To be fair, I don’t know if I would want to go back to vanilla PS4 since everything with PS5 is smoother/faster in the GUI, PS Store, etc… And playing PS4 games that were patched was pretty great.

Overall though nothing wrong with PS4 in 2024 especially if you changed over to run games from SATA SSD.

Woopah

Pardon who from the developers care about RT? Name one who said 'we don't do a game without RT'.
FSR is not require specialized hardware. And we are talking about efficient portable machine🤦‍♂️

By making ton of amazing games for it :messenger_grinning_sweat:
The developers who use RT and DLSS in their games will care about it and want to know what Switch 2 is and is not capable of. It doesn't benefit Nintendo to keep these details a secret from third parties forever.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Because it will be stupid in my opinion? Just logic?

I just put it quickly, English is not my native so don't judge me hard. Those are some of my points:

1. We use ray-tracing only with DLSS or other upscaler.
2. Switch 2 is certainly a 1080p machine. Maybe with ability to display at 4K because number of Tensor cores needed for proper 4K display T239 is not capable of. Even in full RTX2050 variant. (look at DF video). So true 4K is out of question.
3. Every upscaler works worse lower the input resolution: for 4K Nvidia recommends 'Performance' preset. 'Balanced' for 1440p and 'Quality' at 1080p so lower resolution you go - less beneficial it gets, obviously.
4. If you are using RT you need those Tensor cores to do both denoising (which by itself making a picture blurry and ghosty) and DLSS and what you will get is very expensive and very low quality picture that requires both additional Tensor and RT cores - all of that on a hand-held platform where every bit of die silicon and power matters A LOT.
5. We suppose that Nintendo will make hardware that make profit, and presumably at 400$.

So you get 360p-540p upscaled and killed by denoiser image, but yeah, this is with RT effects which 90% of a people cannot distinguish from non RT and don't care at all.
And all of this for what? For NeoGaf to look at it and say 'Why they are even bothered by this shit'? :messenger_grinning_smiling:
Now combine all of this and this is pretty much why I think it's stupid given all those circumstances. You know that good games sell well have those RT effects or not - it's not important at all. Especially if what you get will be low quality and with wasted die space/build cost/performance/battery life.

It's just my opinion and I will welcome everything 'extra' from Nintendo. I will be glad if Nintendo find a way (like OPTIONAL Dock station with all whistles RT's, DLSS, 4K and such) to make very powerful console but I expect less.
It's about hardware capabilities, not about what Nintendo is intending to do with all of those features at the same time, WTF you talking about :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Switch is basically equivalent to PS4 in its graphic technology, for example, but far in raw power... If we were told that Nintendo presented NX to devs and it has full PBR, modern gaming capabilities, etc, would you have said "it's impossible because Nintendo won't do 1080p at 60 fps with hyperrealistic games because that impossible period"? lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom