• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies That Are Nothing Like the Books They're Based On

Status
Not open for further replies.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Nobody said Lord of the Flies yet?

That one wasn't the worst offender iirc but it didn't do the book much justice.

Effect

Wanted is pretty different from the comic it's based on from what I remember. The movie deals with a guy finding out he's the son of an assassin but the comic is actually about a evil guy that finds out he's the son of a super villain in a world where villains rule and have killed a lot of the heroes who were DC and Marvel analogues run through the Mark Millar filter. The Angelina Jolie character plays a similar role in both but in the comic she's suppose to be a Catwoman analogue.

inm8num2

From Hell was so disappointing.

Also From Hell.

As far as the book and the movie is concerned, From Hell offers up a pretty stark contrast. I actually do understand why the film was more of a simple murder mystery versus the insane detailing of Victorian London and its class struggles that the book went into (you aren't telling the book's story in two hours), but the film added its own strange wrinkles for no real reason, like Abberline's opium addiction.

Came here to say this. I kind of like that movie, but as Ridley said Moore's GN is just way too rich and detailed to do any sort of justice in a 2-hour film. So, they didn't bother trying :p (but still made a fairly entertaining, atmospheric mystery/thriller).

In late 2014 it was announced that FX was developing a miniseries adaptation, but I don't know if anything came of it.

johnny_mnemonic_ver1.jpg

This right here.

Wanted is pretty different from the comic it's based on from what I remember. The movie deals with a guy finding out he's the son of an assassin but the comic is actually about a evil guy that finds out he's the son of a super villain in a world where villains rule and have killed a lot of the heroes who were DC and Marvel analogues run through the Mark Millar filter. The Angelina Jolie character plays a similar role in both but in the comic she's suppose to be a Catwoman analogue.

Yea Wanted has pretty much no relation to the comic. Kid becomes a bad ass is only same idea, rest is just completely changed and unrecognizable as based off the comic.

KevinCow

Banned
It's funny that the OP's example was Jurassic Park, because my first response to the thread title was The Lost World. Levine, who was just as much a main character as Malcolm in the book, wasn't even in the movie.

It's funny, because the only reason Crichton even wrote the book was so they could make a movie based off of it, but then they completely ignored the book anyway.

JaseMath

It's funny that the OP's example was Jurassic Park, because my first response to the thread title was The Lost World. Levine, who was just as much a main character as Malcolm in the book, wasn't even in the movie.

It's funny, because the only reason Crichton even wrote the book was so they could make a movie based off of it, but then they completely ignored the book anyway.

Is that true? That's a creative professional's nightmare scenario.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...

Seconded. JP's movie and book adaptations have a lot of diverging branches, but the Lost World isn't even on the same tree as the book.

Ridley327

Since I'm still on the graphic novel kick, the book and the film versions of A History of Violence diverge sharply once Tom takes care of the mobsters that threaten his family. The book goes into an incredibly long flashback shortly thereafter, while the movie continues focusing in on the family as the truth is finally out and what it does to each of them as they cope with what they now know.

It may not fit this particular thread as well since it's almost universally accepted that the film blows the graphic novel out of the water, but it's one worth mentioning because of how much it eventually differs from the source material.

dcelw540

Alice in Wonderland through the looking Glass,

Not gonna lie I enjoyed it more then the first movie but it's nothing based off the 2nd book.

Pirates of the Carribean 4 is actually an adaptation of On Stranger Tides (which Disney even bought the rights for), but it takes virtually nothing from the novel. Given its reception, they could have stood to lift a lot more.

Hellboy I lifts its story directly from one of the comic's earlier arcs, but even then there's a ton of differences. In particular, Kronen in the movie is literally nothing like his comic incarnation. It actually works pretty well, though.

Dazzler

Shout out to the godfather movie for cutting the single most important plot from the books:
tightening up Lucy Mancini's vagina with surgery

iirc, a couple of James Bond films just use a book's title and run with a completely different story.

The Spy Who Loved Me was a really weird romance novel with spy elements that was written from the perspective of a Bond girl. The movie is . . . not.

Probably the best example of this actually working well. The book was trash, the movie was fantastic.

F!ReW!Re

I don't get these Godfather mentions in here. That's basically a one-on-one translation from book to movie.

And both are amazing. (Talking the first movie/book here)

If you thought Jurassic Park was removed from the book, just wait until you read The Lost World OP. With the exception of one scene and a few characters, they're completely different stories.
Hell, Jurassic World stuck with the themes of the first book a lot better than any of the other films.

The Hobbit
The Lord of the Rings

The plot is the same, but nearly everything else is altered in some way or another. For the Hobbit, things were altered for the worse.

It makes me glad that they'll never be able to do the Silmarillion in my lifetime.

While similar on the surface, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs did change a lot details from the book. Understandable, for the sake of feature film length, but still.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
2002's Count of Monte Cristo.

5WF5HY0.jpg

Turned a thrilling story about how revenge will destroy you into a stupid flick about how revenge is so awesome, and doing it will get you everything you ever wanted. Also had the dumbest hack writing twist with Albert being his son.

pa22word

Also people saying I am legend is a little strange considering it's by even the worst screen adaptation of that story.

Besides, the Vincent price version is still around (and is great) anyways if you want something that's more faithful.

Lijik

Alice in Wonderland through the looking Glass,

Not gonna lie I enjoyed it more then the first movie but it's nothing based off the 2nd book.

The problem is most adaptations of Alice in Wonderland work in the more iconic elements of Through the Looking Glass making a straight adaptation impossible.

a69MBlH.gif

In the grand scheme of things, Jurassic Park the movie isn't hugely different from the book. I'd say they made the characters more likable overall, and the story less cynical, which you'd pretty much have to if you want to make a blockbuster. Take Sphere for instance (sticking with Michael Crichton books), which the movie is far more faithful to the book, and it just doesn't translate very well. Sphere the book is probably my favorite Crichton book, but the movie is pretty forgettable.

For me the biggest differences between book and movie was Starship Troopers. I liked both book and movie but for very different reasons. Outside of a generalized theme of an earth military fighting bugs, and characters with the same name, they're really completely different.

I've watched the first two eps of Man in High Castle and already it's making coherent sense and isn't boring af so it's not very faithful to the book.

I read Man in the High Castle based on a recommendation on this forum, and I'd have to agree tbh. It's just ....boring.

I like PKD's other stuff but Man in the High Castle was not one of them.

Megatron

The Cider house rules is number one for me. I was so disappointed by the movie.

Forrest Gump is up there too. In the book he
goes up into space with a monkey and crash lands on an island of canibals.

Chuckie

While not a movie but a series: Under the Dome. That show was fucking horrible and had nothing in common with the book anymore after half a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom