• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies That Are Nothing Like the Books They're Based On

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could pretty much bring up any superhero comic adaption and it would fit. The biggest one for me, aside from Captain America: Civil War? Jessica Jones. They utilize only one plot thread from the book and pretty much ditch the rest. Even then, that thread is pretty loosely worked from the comic. I still very much enjoyed the show, but it's pretty much it's own thing. Which works, considering it doesn't even share the same name as the core comic that it's pulled from. It's not even the same type of story. Alias is procedural with several arcs that are standalone, but share Jessica's developing life and character as an overall arc. This eventually culminates in the Purple Man arc, which the show basically takes and stretches over an entire series. A bit of a bummer, but as I said I still love the show
Nobody's suggested the recent Alice: Through The Looking Glass yet?

Not that it was a bad movie, it was much better than its prequel.
It has no prequel.
Hellboy I lifts its story directly from one of the comic's earlier arcs, but even then there's a ton of differences. In particular, Kronen in the movie is literally nothing like his comic incarnation. It actually works pretty well, though.
There's also stuff missing like the evil haunted house and the fish people in the mountains.
a69MBlH.gif
Why do I love this so much?

ArjanN

That's what I would say too, would make a good movie that.

Another problem with the Running Man short story is that it ends with the main character suicide running a plane into the bad guy's tower building, which would be a tad uncomfortable post 9/11.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I've watched the first two eps of Man in High Castle and already it's making coherent sense and isn't boring af so it's not very faithful to the book.
That show has one of the most annoying, stupid, selfish and any other negative word characters in any show I've ever seen.

Mathieran

Banned
The alternate ending makes it a lot more consistent with the book.

There's an alternate ending? I'm not aware of that. I might try to find it on YouTube later. The movie would be bad even if they fixed the ending, but it's definitely the movie's biggest sin.

notBald

I've been staring at this for too long.

For me the biggest differences between book and movie was Starship Troopers. I liked both book and movie but for very different reasons. Outside of a generalized theme of an earth military fighting bugs, and characters with the same name, they're really completely different.
I like the movie too, but the book, no. Contents aside, it was just badly written. I think I dropped it after just a chapter.

Majora

Mrs Doubtfire is very different, tonally, from the book Madam Doubtfire on which it was based.

The divorce and subsequent relationship between the parents is much more bitter and dark in the book (I think there's a scene where, after the mother leaves his apartment, he simulates slitting her throat or something). The book is also much more down to earth and isn't really played much for laughs at all from what I can recall. At least not in the slapsticky way the film is.

I remember reading the book as a kid after watching the film and not liking it much because of this, although it'd be interesting to read it again as an adult. I think they basically just took the concept of a dad dressing up as woman to see his kids from the book and then built something very different around it.

lazygecko

Cobra was based on a book apparently, but it went through so many changes that it may as well be something entirely different.

Silmarillion is definitely impossible for a single movie or even multiples, since there's only the barest amount of continuity. But it'd work as a mini-series.

220px-Gedo6sn.jpg

This is just from hearsay cause I never watched it myself but apparently the adaptation was so bad it put Le Guin off of collabs forever.

Your comment is actually about the American television miniseries. Le Guin licensed earthsea out to ghibli and an American company to perform an adaptation. The American adaptation was the absolutely everything was terrible one she hated. The ghibli adaptation she liked a lot more.

The US miniseries is so terrible. Ruins the plot, whitewashes it bad (one thing she especially hated) and just plain wasn't entertaining. That's not to say that Le Guin liked the ghibli earthsea, just that I think the US miniseries is why she doesn't license it out anymore. (No faith in anyone to adapt)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Here's something really weird. Die Hard is based on a book called Nothing Lasts Forever, by Roderick Thorpe. The book is the sequel to a book called The Detective, which was made into a movie of the same name in the 60's with Frank Sinatra.

So Die Hard is a sequel to a Frank Sinatra movie from the 60's....but not really.

lazygecko

Here's something really weird. Die Hard is based on a book called Nothing Lasts Forever, by Roderick Thorpe. The book is the sequel to a book called The Detective, which was made into a movie of the same name in the 60's with Frank Sinatra.

So Die Hard is a sequel to a Frank Sinatra movie from the 60's....but not really.

And the sequels were all unrelated movie scripts reworked into Die Hard movies.

PSqueak

Banned
The further you are on the run time of Scott Pilgrim vs The world, the more and more it deviates from the comicbook.

Which actually works as its own thing, and its funny as fuck, but in the movie Scott stays an asshole from start to finish, while in the comics he matures a bit and starts his way to become a better person.

lordxar

Dreamcatcher, the Stand, Needful Things, Pet Cemetary. I liked the beginning of Dreamcatcher but it went to total shit at the end and completely ruined the story. Was pissed walking out of the theater. The Stand was awesome. A few changes but it largely held up. Needful Things needs to be made in today's effects with a decent budget because I remember liking the movie but not some of the choices like the end. Pet Cemetary is close enough. Been far too long now but I don't recall anything unforgivable between book and movie.

Christine

Surely The Lawnmower Man has to be one of the biggest changes from book to movie of all time...

I'm really not sure if this counts.
:p
It's not like they started here and ended there, they were making a bizarre sci-fi movie and they said "How the fuck are we going to get people to go see this? It's weird!" and the answer was to pay Stephen King for the first story title that fit, entirely for the purpose of using his name in the marketing. "The Lawnmower Man" was never the important bit. It was all about being able to bill it as "Stephen King's 'The Lawnmower Man'".

Timeaisis

Total Recall / We Can Remember It For You Wholesale

Very different, but share similar concepts. Lots of PKD adaptations are like this. He has amazing ideas with stories that don't translate to cinema tickets too well. So the core ideas remain, but the stories usually shift significantly.

I am Legend.

That movie was a bloody disgrace to the book
Yup!

"I am legend... because I found a cure to the Darkseeker disease."

No, no you aren't. That's not why you are supposed to be a "Legend", dammit!

It's painful because the the title has meaning and weight in the book, and the movie shits over that meaning with its own "Hollywood" meaning.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I Am Legend severely misses the point from the book, but the Heston adaptation of the story is even further from the book. But of all three adaptations, I personally think it is the best movie.

The movie Jurassic Park The Lost World is better than the book. Let that sink in.

Neither are good. I still say the movie is worse, which slapped together a way to bring a T-Rex to San Fransisco while butchering the once awesome eccentric nature of Malcolm for some reason.

Also...

ke2un2isrbu4ph2fflkn.gif

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Neither are good. I still say the movie is worse, which slapped together a way to bring a T-Rex to San Fransisco while butchering the once awesome eccentric nature of Malcolm for some reason.

Also...

ke2un2isrbu4ph2fflkn.gif

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree that the Lost World book was better than the movie.

I read The Lost World as a kid and it was interesting enough for me to finish it.

The movie was one of my first encounters with that "what the fuck am I doing here when I could be doing anything else" movie experience.

While we're talking about Crichton stuff, I think the Sphere movie was much worse than the book. It took some of the same ideas, but spent so much time trying to feel ~epic~ that it lost all of the tension in the book.

The Giver (film) is actually somewhat consistent outside of aging up all the characters, but it does change a few fundamental beats that result in a story that never quite lines up with the book. If you think about it, though, it makes sense - they made the movie just different enough that kids couldn't just watch it to do book reports!

bengraven

I'll throw two out there:

images

With the exception of maybe two or three scenes, the book and movie are radically different.

The Wizard of Oz is probably my favorite film of all time, when I think of it. And it's a very very different animal than it's book, which is also a fantastic read. Dorothy is a bit less sympathetic at times in the book - when the Scarecrow is thought lost on a river, she's like "oh okay, he was a burden anyway". Major scenes include the people made of china (that later were put in the James Franco Oz movie) and a kingdom of door mouses (who save them from the poppies). The Witch was made green and wearing black while before she's this crusty old chubby woman. They just wanted to make a big fairy tale movie and were very free to do what they wanted.

childrenofmen_poster.jpg

Remember how Julianne Moore's character was the one who was pregnant?

Remember when Clive Owen's character becomes Pope King?

Remember his douchebag cousin he meets early in the film who has those preserved paintings and how he became the main villain, including being in the final one on one battle?

Remember the jealousy over who the father of the baby is?

Yeah, it's really really different. It only shares the theme, setting, and names. It's like if Twilight Princess was an adaptation of Ocarina of Time.

Stardust was an excellent movie but ya not quite right

The winner though is those two Earthsea Sci-Fi movies

Agreed. Stardust is the first Neil Gaiman novel I ever read and I later picked up the original graphic novel with beautiful illustrations by Charles Vess. It is a holy grail for me and one of my top 10 books of all time. I always have low expectations for a film adaptation though and the changes I saw turned me off of this movie (plus, Danes wasn't Homeland yet and was a weird choice for the character).

I ended up loving it as it's own thing. Like GOT I love both, despite the radical and thematically different stories.

I am Legend. Only shares the most barebones plot. Movie was awful.

I Am Legend is the best book to never get a true adaptation.

Someday. Hell, a miniseries that's at least 95% true to the book would be fantastic. You don't need a massive budget. You need about 30 people to play bad vampires and
later get some new makeup to be good vampires
, one house decked out for survival, an empty street to film on, maybe an abandoned library and a couple empty houses and you're fucking good.

Give me filming rights, permits for filming in Detroit, and $10 million and you'll all love me forever.

It's funny that the OP's example was Jurassic Park, because my first response to the thread title was The Lost World. Levine, who was just as much a main character as Malcolm in the book, wasn't even in the movie.

It's funny, because the only reason Crichton even wrote the book was so they could make a movie based off of it, but then they completely ignored the book anyway.

Yeah OP, you should read The Lost World when you're done. That's actually a great fucking book that's tarnished by the shitty movie.

The Lost World is such a great book that I truly hope someday we can get a true LW adaptation.

It only would take a few tweeks and some character renames to make it, it's so different than the movie. Only the T-rex attack is the same, but can be modified.

That's what's been missing from the last two. The initial large carnivore attack scene lacks the tension, suspense, and excitement of the first two T-rex scenes in JP and JW. That's because of lack of Critchon.

A lot of people are mentioning Blade Runner because of it's divergence from Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, but the movie is also radically different from the William S. Burroughs' novella, Blade Runner (a movie) from which the movie gets its title.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_Runner_(a_movie)

Burroughs' treatment is set in early 21st century and involves mutated viruses and "a medical-care apocalypse". The term "blade runner" referred to a smuggler of medical supplies, e.g. scalpels.

No film was ever made; the title Blade Runner was later bought for use in Ridley Scott's 1982 science fiction film, Blade Runner. The plot of that film was based on Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and not the Nourse/Burroughs source material, although the film does incorporate the term "blade runner" into dialogue.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Also people saying I am legend is a little strange considering it's by even the worst screen adaptation of that story.

Besides, the Vincent price version is still around (and is great) anyways if you want something that's more faithful.

Yeah, Last Man on Earth is a good adaptation.

Frankenstein is nothing like the book, but still fantastic.

Magwik

Banned
I would have said I'm shocked nobody mentioned the 2014 version of The Giver but then again nobody saw the thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom