• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Night: A True Batman Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpsepyre

Banned
DarkNight-ATrueBatmanStory-000.jpg

This new graphic novel from Vertigo just came out, and is HIGHLY recommended. Just finished reading, and it's so utterly well-written and a definite must-read for Batman fans. Very, very different from the norm as well. Written by Paul Dini from the Batman: Animated Series fame.

'The Caped Crusader has been the all-abiding icon of justice and authority for generations. But in this surprising original graphic novel, we see Batman in a new light—as the savior who helps a discouraged man recover from a brutal attack that left him unable to face the world.

In the 1990s, Eisner Award-winning writer Paul Dini had a flourishing career writing the hugely popular Batman: The Animated Series and Tiny Toon Adventures. Walking home one evening, he was jumped and viciously beaten within an inch of his life. His recovery process was arduous, hampered by the imagined antics of the villains he was writing for television including The Joker, Harley Quinn and the Penguin. But despite how bleak his circumstances were, or perhaps because of it, Dini also always imagined the Batman at his side during his darkest moments.

DARK NIGHT: A TRUE BATMAN STORY is the harrowing and eloquent autobiographical tale of Dini’s courageous struggle to overcome a truly desperate situation. It is a Batman story like none other and one that will truly resonate with fans. Art by the incredibly talented Eduardo Risso (100 BULLETS, DARK KNIGHT III: THE MASTER RACE).

Platy

So this is the "superman stopping a girl committing suicide" of batman stories ?

Also, I am curious ... does it include any detective work ?

SpaceWolf

Banned
I'm actually really, really interested in reading this book. I absolutely adore Paul Dini's work.

If anyone here has actually read the book and would like to share their thoughts on it, I'd be really interested!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Is this based on a real life event? Did Dini get jumped like that in the 90's? I honestly don't know much about him other than the stuff he's worked on. I may check this out, I live Marvel/DC stuff that is a bit out there.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Is this based on a real life event? Did Dini get jumped like that in the 90's? I honestly don't know much about him other than the stuff he's worked on. I may check this out, I live Marvel/DC stuff that is a bit out there.

Yep, based on a real attack. The book is essentially autobiographical, from what I understand.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I'm actually really, really interested in reading this book. I absolutely adore Paul Dini's work.

If anyone here has actually read the book and would like to share their thoughts on it, I'd be really interested!

I don't want to give too much of the specifics away, but it's an autobiographical take, with Batman and his rogues gallery coming into play in a number of interesting ways. It's a very personal account of the tragedy Dini went through. You should definitely read it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Wow OK count me in. The more I read about this the better it sounds and I had no clue that happened to Dini!

Cess007

I really liked it. I expected something totally different when i started reading it, but i think it was a fantastic comic.

As the introduction says, it's not a comic of Batman per se. But the idea that Batman represents; and how that idea helped him on the dark days after his mugging against his inner demons (represented by Batman's Villains)

SpaceWolf

Banned
I don't want to give too much of the specifics away, but it's an autobiographical take, with Batman and his rogues gallery coming into play in a number of interesting ways. It's a very personal account of the tragedy Dini went through. You should definitely read it.

I really liked it. I expected something totally different when i started reading it, but i think it was a fantastic comic.

As the introduction says, it's not a comic of Batman per se. But the idea that Batman represents; and how that idea helped him on the dark days after his mugging against his inner demons (represented by Batman's Villains)

Thank you for your thoughts, guys! Based on your recommendations, I ended up buying the book this morning. And I have to confess I'm really glad I did.

The book is wonderful. As a huge Batman fan, I actually found the story incredibly inspiring and actually hugely relatable as well. Although I would agree it's not really a Batman story, it's a story about the power of storytelling and the beauty of the human imagination to lift us up in our darkest moments, a belief in something far bigger than ourselves. If anything, it's about Batman as a symbol, and what the character continues to stand for in public consciousnesses. On the whole, I thought the whole story was beautifully told and even quite moving.

Props to Dini for writing it, which given its unapologetically autobiographical nature, I'm sure wasn't a particularly easy process for him. I'd recommended anyone interested in this to pick up a copy the moment they get the chance.

How's the art?

The art is lovely! Definitely a thumbs up in that department from me.

Chunky

choaffable posted what seems like a rather damning review of this book in comicgaf. Thought I'd toss it out here to see how those who have read this would respond to it. I'm still deciding if it's something I want to pick up.
I'll have to reserve judgment till I've read the book, but this was a tough read, one of those reviews filled with unnecessary wordiness and self-absorption. Felt like the writer had really chugged on the social justice cool-aid, to the detriment of his critique and I say that as an unabashed sjw.

Just finished it. What a great read! Loved the various styles throughout.

EDIT: What the hell does that critic have against Dini??? He attacks him as though the book was homophobic or harmful. Very dumb review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom