• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heart & Slash trailer - 3D robo-brawler coming to PS4, Xbox One on June 24th

Been following this game for years, well before its Kickstarter in 2014, and the game is finally fully releasing and coming to consoles this month

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwguCjkvZBk
http://www.aheartfulofgames.com/?page_id=10
http://store.steampowered.com/app/326840/

It's a fast-paced hack-n-slash with aerial combos, dodge rolls, and customization that lets you wield three weapons and alter your abilities by changing out your head, body, and limbs. Almost every body part has a unique buff or skill, and weapons have their own unique attacks

Heart&Slash is a 3D brawler that is set in a world where machines are all that remains from the Human civilization.
You play as Heart, an innocent robot fighting to escape the grip of the evil and all seeing machine QuAsSy (Quality Assurance Systems).
But make no mistake Heart&Slash is a hard game. Every death is permanent and means a new randomly generated level for you to start over with a different set of weapons and items you can use, new enemies to fight and secrets to explore.

- 3 worlds to explore and fight in. Each world includes its unique enemies an bosses.
- Dozens of different weapons and equipment pieces (more than 100 in total) to customize Heart and your play style.
- Perma-death, but a persistent progression system that gives you more options as you play the game.

NarrowUnimportantCopperhead.gif

EsteemedCavernousAmethystinepython.gif

ReaperXL7

I thought this was the dungeon crawler made out of ASCII art for a minute, thought it was called hack and slash.

This looks really cool though, I'll have to dig a little deeper.

prudislav

Heart&Slash is launching on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on June 24! Coming to PC in August!
wonder why they are releasing it in June on consoles, but leaves Early access in August :-/
really odd choice

mr lurtle

Pre-ordered it a while ago because it also gets a retail version (at least in Europe) and was really cheap without knowing what it actually was. Good to know it does actually sound quite interesting.

Aaron

Pretty tacky to launch the kickstarted platform last.

Oh well, still looks fun.
If you kickstarted the game, you've been able to play it for... damn I don't know how long. Pre early access even. As a backer, I can't see how anyone would mind it.

Very excited for this game, just found out about it last week and I love me some hack n'slash/brawlers, a highly underrepresented genre in the indie space.

Oneself

So, it's finally releasing on PSN tomorrow! I've been looking forward to it for a while.

Anyone knows if the XB1/PS4 versions run at 60fps?

Juan Raigada

Neo Member
After playing, the camera needs a lot of work as well as a way to adjust the sensitivity. Everything is on hyper.

Hey,

we are submitting a patch today with some early fixes for a couple of just-found bugs, and preparing a more comprehensive one for a week or two from now.

This second patch will include a camera sensitivity slider. This was a huge oversight on our part (mostly due to lack of proper focus testing, we are two full time devs only -work by most other collaborators ended more than a year ago-).

Sorry about that, hopefully the fix will help when it comes!

Juan Raigada

sn00zer

Great art style, good enemy designs, the combat mechanics seem pretty solid, feels good to hit things. Haven't gotten that far in but it's been good.

Ah cool....hmmm...I feel like I can only be disappointed with this game because on paper it sounds AHmazing. Will buy once I get my PS4 up and running again.

Nesther

Mhmm, love me some permadeath with persistent progression systems. Art is cool too. Hopefully the combat feels good.

Kaztinka

You know how when you play a game, and everything clicks with you? You feel like the developer knows everything that you adore in video games?
That's the feeling I got from Heart&Slash
I'm a huge fan of games such as Devil may cry, any Platinum game, Dark souls, and Persona
so when I started this game first thing I heard is this kickass theme that's very reminiscent of P4 tracks
https://michaelchaitmusic.bandcamp.com/track/main-theme

sat for like 5 minutes just listening to it

Started the game, and boy oh boy, they've got everything.
Cool combat with sick air combos, dodges, air dodges, upgrades that are actually interesting and not just "damage damage damage and more damage", parts that work basically like accessories from Bayonetta, cool art style, bosses, and a huuuuuge variety of weapons

There are basically 135 unlocks (Weapons & Parts)
Just to give you a glimpse on what it's like
You have your typical swords, daggers, Shields, large swords like the MOONLIGHT-FREAKING-GREATSWORD! (unfortunately it doesn't shoot anything but it looks cool) deadly guns, hammers, axes, Katanas(we'll get back to that later) freeze grenades! DISCO GRENADE! and more!
In terms of parts/accessories, the game just goes batshit crazy! Jetpack that basically break the game (In a fun way), missile launcher from your chest, F-ing WITCH TIME! ninja backstep, and another upgrade that turns the game into SUPERHOT! and much much more..

Did I mention that enemies have friendly fire? because they do! One of the sickest things to do is dodge a homing missile, launch the dude who fired it for an air combo, do the air combo, then watch the missile finish off your combo in the air!

There are also 6 playable characters in the game, but I have only experimented with one (other than the main character, duh)
which is Robnin, a Katana wielding badass
This guy is so f-ing Vergil from DMC in so many ways!
He has one normal katana that's fast, one katana that can make you teleport or teleport enemies to you, and one that does JUDGEMENT CUT!(To be fair it's more of a short range attack that has a wide hitbox) But the animation looks so much like the judgement cut!
so you end up with this

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

The story, although very short and predictable, has many charming characters with interesting and humorous dialogues
the descriptions for weapons and parts and upgrades are also pretty hilarious

my only gripe with the game is the bugs on the second level of the game, they've fixed some of it, but I think you can still climb platforms that you're not supposed to...
and I was going to mention that it's unfortunate there is no lock-on, but guess what? there are parts that make you do that, lol

Overall, this is "currently" my favorite title this year, it just understands the appeal of games like DMC, Bayonetta and Dark souls and see it from a fundamental level,without trying to copy from them, but rather use those elements to build its own style
such a fantastic game

Top Bottom