• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up Heroes of the Storm starter at walmart on clearance for $7.77

includes:

Five Heroes – Zagara, Sonya, Li Li, Jaina, Zeratul
The Ronin Zeratul skin
The Golden Tiger – a unique mount only available with the Starter Pack

jcutner

Cross post from Toronto thread

So this sums it up I'd say. Me trying VR, my girlfriend not amused.

u9jDpVi.jpg

Kyolux

Tried the heist. It was really fun, compared to what it looks like.

I mostly wanted the feeling of my hands being there.

Sealtest

So VR was great better then I expected which sucks because I was 90% sure I was goin to cancel my preorder but having played it im unsure.

They also had a demo for song of the deep ( not for VR) and that was fantastic decided After 20 minutes of playing id be buying it.

They were also giving out a Playstation pin, Playstation VR sticker and lanyard to people who were testing.

Grimsen

Took advantage of the Disney infinity firesale at bestbuy.

Mickey 4$
Minnie 4$
Yoda 6$
Chewie 7$
Solo 6$
Ps3 starter (for the playset, the extra base doesn't hurt) 15$
Marvel battlegrounds 20$

Good shit. The kids love it, so it's a bummer the game is dead.

SickBoy

Played Battlezone at EB today, it was surprisingly fun. The question's been very much PSVR or NX for me, and I was hoping this experience would point me more to NX, but nope.

I'm pretty sure our mailman decided to lock himself out earlier in the week. I can probably live without delivery most of the time, but have a big reimbursement cheque for insurance expenses that should have arrived this week. I tried to head it off by setting up direct deposit, but my insurance company was uncharacteristically on the ball in processing my claim.

Canada Post is full of shit. Just go back to the bargaining table you assholes

They're just trying to settle things before the union goes on strike in the fall, when the business picks up.

I wish the management of OC Transpo (Ottawa public transit) were that smart instead of letting their drivers strike in January when it's -30 outside.

Kyolux

Mine was just taking parents' word for it. Heard the Rep say he wasn't going to argue with anyone over age.

I can vouch for this. They definitely were just asking "is he/she 12+?" and taking their words for it.

Also, since Heist is rated 17+.. if there are kids, they asked them to look away when people were playing that.

UberTag

Cross post from Toronto thread

So this sums it up I'd say. Me trying VR, my girlfriend not amused.

u9jDpVi.jpg
It struck me the other day when I walked by an EB Games just how hard they've been hit by digital purchases. The store was practically empty apart from merchandise and Funko figures. For a second I thought the store got bought out and replaced by some anime convention vendor. Like, what the hell? Comic shops have more robust stock and variety of product on their shelves than video game stores now.

It's weird because it feels like this switch happened out of the blue while digital marketplaces have been a thing for a decade now.

i-Jest

It struck me the other day when I walked by an EB Games just how hard they've been hit by digital purchases. The store was practically empty apart from merchandise and Funko figures. For a second I thought the store got bought out and replaced by some anime convention vendor. Like, what the hell? Comic shops have more robust stock and variety of product on their shelves than video game stores now.

It's weird because it feels like this switch happened out of the blue while digital marketplaces have been a thing for a decade now.

Yeah, the digital market has been around for a while, but I think it's pretty much the most popular it's been compared to the days of yesteryear. Consumer culture in the West always wants things at the ready with minimal effort to get them. Combine that with digital sales that make it more appealing to buy digital than to venture out to your nearest retailer, makes for a big shift in the retailer space.

To my knowledge, when you buy a digital game on consoles it's yours to keep, but there isn't a way to transfer the license to another. I don't know the likelihood of this changing or if theirs any push to change it, but EB is going to have to find a way to survive the changes to come. I don't think many are going to be friendly to the retail space considering the upward trend with buying digital.

Xenoflare

Yeah, the digital market has been around for a while, but I think it's pretty much the most popular it's been compared to the days of yesteryear. Consumer culture in the West always wants things at the ready with minimal effort to get them. Combine that with digital sales that make it more appealing to buy digital than to venture out to your nearest retailer, makes for a big shift in the retailer space.

To my knowledge, when you buy a digital game on consoles it's yours to keep, but there isn't a way to transfer the license to another. I don't know the likelihood of this changing or if theirs any push to change it, but EB is going to have to find a way to survive the changes to come. I don't think many are going to be friendly to the retail space considering the upward trend with buying digital.

It's definitely not helping when other stores around me has better selections than EB, not to mention the gutting part with their "last new copies" But that's a YMMV thing I imagine

Hell the London Drug near me has better selection than EB. Now EB is over half pop figures and misc merch that no one touches, and used copies of the same AAA games over and over.

Indigo is doing really well, even if half of their stores seem to be decor and non book merchandise, and their online prices are almost always cheaper than in store. Apparently ship to store works for them. And this is despite other bookstores closing.

Not surprised to see EB trying the same.

People have been predicting the downfall of retail stores for years now as digital delivery services gained traction. It just might actually be noticeable now.

Augustiner

Neo Member
EB games has definitely been trying to preemptively add other revenue sources by adding other gaming culture related products, including those hideous funko pop figures. I'd genuinely like to know where else is there to buy video games reliably in Canada though. In my experience EB Games still has the best selection, and is pretty much the only place to get games reliably. The only other retailer that comes close is BestBuy, but it can be hard to find "older stock" there as well. Wall mart seems to only carry new releases, and is usually more expensive than the others.

Xenoflare

EB games has definitely been trying to preemptively add other revenue sources by adding other gaming culture related products, including those hideous funko pop figures. I'd genuinely like to know where else is there to buy video games reliably in Canada though. In my experience EB Games still has the best selection, and is pretty much the only place to get games reliably. The only other retailer that comes close is BestBuy, but it can be hard to find "older stock" there as well. Wall mart seems to only carry new releases, and is usually more expensive than the others.

Problem is that EB is never really *that* reliable in terms of finding old stock. Hell I found my sleeping dogs definitive edition at Best Buy and not EB, they didn't even have sealed copies of DA inquisition while Superstore and BB has tons of them for both PS4 and XB1

The London Drugs near me once even had Samurai Warriors 4 in stock long after the release, that shocked me.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

Yeah it really feels like end of an era, I still remember those days where me and my friend had $5-$10 and we go to EBGames, browse through games to see what we can afford and most of the times, we wouldn't even buy anything lol

Endy MacK

Can anyone tell me if there are any pros/cons to getting the wiiu version of disney infinity over PS4? Taking into consideration I have a 4 year old who may play at some point? Thanks!

Can anyone tell me if there are any pros/cons to getting the wiiu version of disney infinity over PS4? Taking into consideration I have a 4 year old who may play at some point? Thanks!

I literally just bought the 3.0 on the PS4 over the Wii U version. My choice came down to one thing and one thing only; 2.0 on the Wii U was FAR AND AWAY WORSE than 2.0 on the PS4.

There were frame rate issues on the Wii U version, ABSURDLY long load times and the gamepad was useless (the image resolution on the gamepad was really poor). 2.0 on the Wii U was a far worse game and as such I decided to get the 3.0 PS4 version instead.

They could have very well improved on all of those aspects in 3.0, but honestly it left such a bad taste in my mouth that I would STRONGLY recommend the PS4 of 3.0 which suffers from no issues.

In summary; 3.0 on PS4 has no issues what so ever, 2.0 on the Wii U was a bad port so I suspect it would be the same.

Endy MacK

I literally just bought the 3.0 on the PS4 over the Wii U version. My choice came down to one thing and one thing only; 2.0 on the Wii U was FAR AND AWAY WORSE than 2.0 on the PS4.

Thank you for the detailed reply. That's enough to make my decision. Was already leaning towards PS4 anyway 😊

Corey31

Thank you for the detailed reply. That's enough to make my decision. Was already leaning towards PS4 anyway ��

The only reason to go Wii U is the PS4 version has went on sale digitally about once every other month lately, last time it was for sale on PSN for $6. So if you grabbed the Wii U version and then got the PS4 version digitally next time it goes on sale you could have both.

The portal for the PS3, PS4, Wii and Wii U versions is the same. Only the XBOX 360 and XBOX One have system specific portals.

Elitist1945

Anyone know where I can find the Interstellar Collector's Edition online? :(

Amazon.ca doesn't have it, and Amazon.com doesn't have any that ship to Canada.

Corey31

Anyone know where I can find the Interstellar Collector's Edition online? :(

Amazon.ca doesn't have it, and Amazon.com doesn't have any that ship to Canada.

The Neocase Collector's Edition version was a Wal-Mart exclusive on both sides of the border but they don't seem to carry it anymore.

SickBoy

Problem is that EB is never really *that* reliable in terms of finding old stock. Hell I found my sleeping dogs definitive edition at Best Buy and not EB, they didn't even have sealed copies of DA inquisition while Superstore and BB has tons of them for both PS4 and XB1

The London Drugs near me once even had Samurai Warriors 4 in stock long after the release, that shocked me.

It feels like the changing market is sending retail back in time... when EBs started popping up here, they were really the only place to find a lot of games. Other retailers really stepped it up over the years, but now they're going the other way. Future Shop's dead, Superstore's out of gaming. Target came and went. Staples canned its poor gaming section. Some people seem to have better experiences, but all my nearby Best Buy stores have scabby and sparsely stocked gaming sections. I like London Drugs' game selection, but I wish they'd offer more sales, and I don't believe they'll stick around in gaming forever (but I hope they do).

And of course, with EB's shift in focus, they seem to be carrying less stock. I think they remain the most reliable, but they aren't the store they once were. I try to support them where I can (because I still feel like they were an important competitor that helped change the market here, and I've never had the issues at my regular stores that some people have had)... but price is still king for me, and that's why Amazon probably gets most of my real money, while EB gets mostly trade activity.

SW4? Wow. Had to buy that off Ebay recently. I struggled to find it anywhere for a good price (even online). Thankfully got a great deal on it, such a fun game.

Tapejara

Added the Mulan Disney Infinity 3.0 figure to my cart and Best Buy wanted to charge $17.99 in shipping :/.

Will just reserve in store, but that's kind of ridiculous.

UberTag

Yeah it really feels like end of an era, I still remember those days where me and my friend had $5-$10 and we go to EBGames, browse through games to see what we can afford and most of the times, we wouldn't even buy anything lol
It's really weird to me, though. I mean, in the past I would happily venture into EB Games and see if anything caught my eye. Now I'll walk past, see the stacks and stacks of Funko figures and not even want to step a foot into the place.

Not only that but the store was a wasteland - no people inside it to speak of which was the polar opposite of the Apple Store which was packed. And, last I checked, most content sold on Apple devices is sold digitally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom