• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Striker

bobs99 ... said:
Im not treating them as such, but as someone who liked that nature of Halo 3 I miss it.

So wait im a joke character for wanting Sniper starts or DMR starts? You have got to be an idiot. Theres a whole playlist dedicated to the Sniper in Halo 3 and Halo 2 showing that its not exactly a unpopular starting option. As for DMR starts, if you cant see why that would be fun as an option then :lol

If anything I would love them as starting options just to get to play with them and try them out more, if you consider me a idiot for that I quite frankly couldnt care what your opinion is of me.
Annnd there's your problem. This isn't Halo 3. Stop treating and trying to compare the Battle Rifle of those games to this game using a DMR. It isn't the same weapon and you should go in a battle acting like it is.

This is also a beta. Why on Earth are you even talking about Sniper Rifle starts?

The DMR start isn't exactly needed as an every-match weapon; perhaps you should learn to use the Pistol more effectively and *gasp* using strategic ways to counter your opponent rather than running in trying to be Rambo.

People clamored for BR-starts in Halo 2/3 because of weak starting weapons. And primarily, BR starts were better for larger, open maps, and these maps in the beta aren't even large at all, at least until we get into Invasion (which carry larger loadouts and I'm sure one is a DMR-start).

Kuroyume said:
Nades are not broken. Nades are supposed to be poweful. I hope Bungie doesn't change a thing about their power. They need to;

- Not have people drop them after dying.
- Not have them spawn on the map.

This would cut down on the frustration of nades by so much. People would learn to use them better instead of spamming them or they would waste one nade at the start of the match and only have one available before they die again.
At the very least they need to be a power-weapon level respawn timers, but I do like the idea of not being able to drop them when you die (would be very un-Halo, though).

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Kinda sad to see all those dozens of people toiling away and they still have the industry's worst looking AAA shooter. It's just not a priority for them, I guess. I dunno. I wish they would just come out and say "here's why our graphics are weak. We just don't care about it. We'd rather focus on gameplay and netcode". Maybe they have said that, I dunno.

RSTEIN said:
Kinda sad to see all those dozens of people toiling away and they still have the industry's worst looking AAA shooter. It's just not a priority for them, I guess. I dunno. I wish they would just come out and say "here's why our graphics are weak. We just don't care about it. We'd rather focus on gameplay and netcode". Maybe they have said that, I dunno.
Or maybe the graphics aren't as bad as you're making them out to be.

TommyT

RSTEIN said:

What makes the graphics "weak" to you out of curiosity?

LukeSmith

kylej said:
If I had to jerk a giraffe off while DMRing someone it would be a lot more difficult.

2007-07-bd-giraffe1.jpg

NG28

I don't know if I like the change to the melee system in this game. If you are within a certain range, you might as well not even waste bullets while you run at the person and instead just do two quick melees. It kind of makes gunplay pointless within a certain range. Unless of course you have hammer/sword/shotty.

JaggedSac

NG28 said:
I don't know if I like the change to the melee system in this game. If you are within a certain range, you might as well not even waste bullets while you run at the person and instead just do two quick melees. It kind of makes gunplay pointless within a certain range. Unless of course you have hammer/sword/shotty.

A certain, very, close range.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
You seem unfamiliar with his post history. I suggest not engaging.

Congrats at Letters' gif making the BWU. :lol

I like that the Team Slayer Arena formula weighting kills evenly with assists. There's no such thing as "kill stealing" in a team game, so I'm delighted to see the formula line up with that. It seems really well thought through.

The teaser vid was appropriately tantalizing. It's interesting to see them talking up front about not just building a game, but building a universe in which Bungie will be setting a number of games. It was good to see a (slightly grizzled) Jason Jones again. Can't wait to see what he's been up to.

Apath

Dax01 said:
I don't mind the graphics either, but they are seriously terrible compared to just about every other AAA title out there.

RSTEIN said:

Sad to say I agree with you here. If Bungie releases a new IP
(with Activision... BLEH!!!)
that looks like this, times will be hard. The game is fun, but Halo still doesn't look nearly as good as Gears of War. The art is good but doesn't shine because of the dullness of the graphics.

Kuroyume said:
Nades are not broken. Nades are supposed to be powerful. I hope Bungie doesn't change a thing about their power.

What's that even mean? "Nades are supposed to be powerful." Every other aspect of the game has been carefully balanced for to make the gameplay more robust, but screw that, nades are supposed to be powerful.

RSTEIN

Dax01 said:
It is very subjective.

TommyT said:
Well, they've made progress, that's for sure. This game does look better than Halo 3. But I look at it in comparison with other devs that have nowhere near the resources, depth of talent, or experience, and I'm puzzled. Aliasing issues up the wazoo still (yes, that's a techincal term).

It's just interesting, that's all. Bungie does so many other things so much better than anyone else on the planet that I guess the gaping graphical hole just stands out more. Perhaps because everything else is so good the mediocre graphics stand out so much.

Kuroyume

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
What's that even mean? "Nades are supposed to be powerful." Every other aspect of the game has been carefully balanced for to make the gameplay more robust, but screw that, nades are supposed to be powerful.

They're grenades.

Ramirez

I'm really not understanding most of the complaints, particularly from people who I thought would love this game. (kylej) This game rewards skill in Bungie's gametypes more than any game before it. I can probably count on one hand the times I've been killed by mindless AR spraying.I never feel like I get cheated when I die really, aside from the nade spam sometimes. I rarely ever look for any other long range weapon because the Pistol is so versatile...and really the only games I've lost are against pro dudes, so this talk about the AR being the best weapon and the game being completely random are pretty crazy to me.

I know that was some mindless rambling...:lol

RdN

Kenak said:
I don't mind the graphics either, but they are seriously terrible compared to just about every other AAA title out there.

For me, graphics in Reach are what graphics in Halo 3 should've been.. As you said, they're not in the same level as other AAAs.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Played as a covy for the first time today. Got my ass handed to me so bad.

Wonder why covys are just dodge builds and no camo/jetpack

Drakken

I got a code! Just finished downloading the beta; so hyped. My GT is Drakken688 if anyone wants another GAFer to play with.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Anyone up for making a party?

GT: intrinsic

I'm ready for a rowdy blood bath.

Doodis

GhaleonEB said:
The teaser vid was appropriately tantalizing. It's interesting to see them talking up front about not just building a game, but building a universe in which Bungie will be setting a number of games. It was good to see a (slightly grizzled) Jason Jones again. Can't wait to see what he's been up to.
What was most compelling to me was what they didn't say - they omitted any talk of Activision. It was reassuring to see that they are doing their own thing, their own way.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Metalic Sand said:
Played as a covy for the first time today. Got my ass handed to me so bad.

Wonder why covys are just dodge builds and no camo/jetpack

Dodge pretty much better than all the eqp spartans get, imo. It's insanely fast, and a great way to travel when you're trying to get somewhere quickly.

Spasm

GhaleonEB said:
One change needs to be made to Stockpile: members of a team should not be able to move a flag from their own stockpile. Once it's in, only the opposing team should be able to take it out.

Last night I saw two things start to develop: on split parties, someone split from their party would spoil the other team's scores by tossing the flags out at the last second. And some players would toss the flags out of the stockpile, and then back in so they got credit for the score. This is going to be rampant come Monday, and even more so come ship.

Locking a team out of tampering with their own flags would eliminate both issues.
Seconded. I just finished a game where all I did was run flags all game long. We won, but I finished the game with 0 caps. I didn't realize what was happening till I looked at the replay. A guy playing defense would toss my flag out and recap it as soon as I scuttled off for a new flag.

Dax01 said:

oh, no, Dax, they are. Even the HUD is in the low frame buffer. I still think the game's look has charm, but good god.

that being said, this game is way too much fun.

Sanic

Kenak said:

This. I actually think they're fairly good, but they could be far better in plenty of technical areas, but it honestly doesn't bother me that much. The game is too much fun.

But, I <3 baked shadow maps. They have an artistic, soft quaity about them. Until realtime shadowing techniques improve, i'll always prefer the pre-baked stuff.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
TommyT said:
That stupid blur for starters. The image quality is great when static. I have to retract my comments from yesterday. I was watching theater mode and the graphics looked much better than in Halo 3, the improvement in image quality is there. However, once you start playing, the Blur doesn't let you notice jack shit.

I love the game, but I can't keep playing since theater mode gave me motion sicknes. It sucks.

RSTEIN

GhaleonEB said:
You seem unfamiliar with his post history. I suggest not engaging.

Well, he can't see my post history because searching is disabled. :p

Secondly, I think you have me confused with someone else. I very rarely participate in the Bungie/Halo threads. Sure, I've slagged on Halo graphics before (maybe in about 5 posts out of my 7,000 posts since joining GAF) because, well, I don't think they're very good. But you're suggesting I'm some sort of rampant Halo hater and it just ain't true. I'm not even a graphics whore. I don't even care. I'm more curious from a development perspective. Why has everyone else totally leapfrogged Bungie in this area? Just curious is all!

Mo0

Has anyone figured out what the hell you get the technician commendation for?

By the way, if anyone's up for playing with someone who's been stinking up the joint, my GT is SuperMo0.

(Not likely, but worth a shot! :( )

vvv Yeah, once Invasion drops it'll feel less restricted weapons-wise, I'd imagine.

Striker said:
Annnd there's your problem. This isn't Halo 3. Stop treating and trying to compare the Battle Rifle of those games to this game using a DMR. It isn't the same weapon and you should go in a battle acting like it is.

This is also a beta. Why on Earth are you even talking about Sniper Rifle starts?

The DMR start isn't exactly needed as an every-match weapon; perhaps you should learn to use the Pistol more effectively and *gasp* using strategic ways to counter your opponent rather than running in trying to be Rambo.

People clamored for BR-starts in Halo 2/3 because of weak starting weapons. And primarily, BR starts were better for larger, open maps, and these maps in the beta aren't even large at all, at least until we get into Invasion (which carry larger loadouts and I'm sure one is a DMR-start).

You seem to be giving me a lot of advice but how do you know how I play? :lol

Your right, its a beta, surely giving us access to a fairly wide range of weapons that have already been implimented in the beta would be a good thing? I would love to play with the Sniper some more and get a feel for it, sniper starts would be awesome.

Stop acting all high and mighty, your misreading my posts and seem to be acting like a bit of a jackass, im not trying to play Reach like Halo 3, im just point out things that I dont like about it, sue me. :lol Ive varied from doing really well to playing late at night and doing rubbish, so despite the sleep deprived games ive been doing fairly well. Winning isnt everything though, if I dont find a aspect of a game fun, even if im good at it, im gonna complain. The Pistol and DMR have a whole range of problems including lack of feedback, and if at the very least the reticule bloom isnt more visible by the full game it will be torture to play. As a pretty long Halo 3 fan im not going to like everything about Reach, It seems im not the only one complaining about certain things, and I know its not wrong to have a opinion.

P.P.S. Letters your .gif made the BWU, nice!

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Imperial Hot said:
Has Digital Foundry analyzed the Beta yet? I'm interested to read the technical breakdown of Reach.
Whatever pixel conclusion they come up with is void since the blur gets in the image and could be considered as infinityxAA. The problem is that the blur is too persistent and blurs out details of the screen and gets in the way of gameplay.
RSTEIN said:

Secondly, I think you have me confused with someone else. I very rarely participate in the Bungie/Halo threads. Sure, I've slagged on Halo graphics before (maybe in about 5 posts out of my 7,000 posts since joining GAF) because, well, I don't think they're very good. But you're suggesting I'm some sort of rampant Halo hater and it just ain't true. I'm not even a graphics whore. I don't even care. I'm more curious from a development perspective. Why has everyone else totally leapfrogged Bungie in this area? Just curious is all!
Don't defend yourself, it's pointless. HaloGAF always has the shield and sword up when it comes to technical discussions. I love Halo and play it as much as any other regular in the thread, but I am considered a troll just because I point out that the game isn't exactly a pretty looking shooter.

GhaleonEB

Spasm said:
Seconded. I just finished a game where all I did was run flags all game long. We won, but I finished the game with 0 caps. I didn't realize what was happening till I looked at the replay. A guy playing defense would toss my flag out and recap it as soon as I scuttled off for a new flag.
I'm genuinely surprised it wasn't something they thought of and implemented prior to Beta. It could ruin Stockpile when the game ships, so I hope they make the adjustment.

Apath

RSTEIN said:

1) Campaign tech is focused on bringing not only split screen and online co-op, but massive battles that involve vehicles, large rendering distances, lots and lots of weapons, and a shit ton of AI driven characters.
2) Multiplayer has to support four player split screen.

This is what I believe brings down Halo's graphics. Doesn't mean that just about every other AAA title doesn't look better.

Do you have to notice or care? No. You can love the graphics and what not. Just understand that some people won't and they'll have good reasons for being underwhelmed when coming out of Banjo Kazooie, Alan Wake, Gears, Resident Evil, or hell, even PS3 exclusives.

Spasm

I've got a question about the aggregate career stats for weapons... The kills part is obvious, but the deaths part... Is that deaths BY that weapon, or you died while holding that weapon.

Deaths By that weapon doesn't really mean much, looking at your KDR spread, but deaths while holding that weapon would better illustrate how successful you are with it.

Urk, you had me looking through a few of the page souces for various bnet pages for a code. I are teh give ups now.

Zeouterlimits.... how???

Top Bottom