• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

So is sword spree in ths game or what? I've had at least two (probably more) instances when I had 5+ sword kills in one game. I have yet to see someone with a sword spree. In fact, I saved one of my games with 5 sword kills in one life.

Gui_PT

Kapura said:
facepalm.jpg

You're considering all the possibilities? The only possibility you brought up was if the antagonist has sprint!

Lets go deeper. What specifically is unfair about Reach melee?

I'm considering all the possibilities knowing the antagonist has sprint.

I see I shouldn't have used the word "unfair". I should've just said "I don't like how it works"

_Bro said:
Try strafing.

:|

I think the melee lunge makes that kinda useless

_Bro

Banned
Gui_PT said:

I see I shouldn't have used the word "unfair". I should've just said "I don't like how it works"
Try strafing.

:|

Kapura

Banned
Gui_PT said:

Alright, if the antagonist has sprint, and if you both have full shield, and if he sprints and hits you before you can break his shield you will probably be fucked. But if he's far enough away that you can break his shield either with a grenade or sustained fire before he gets to you, you win. If you armour lock before he can hit you and you pop his shield with it, you win. If you have a goddammed jetpack and fly away, you win. If you put on camo, crouch, and move slowly before he can shower the area you were in with bullets, you can escape. If you have a shotgun, you win. If you have a sword, you might still be fucked seeing as how you can sword cancel with a melee, but you stand a better chance. There are lots of situations you are failing to consider that leave you alive. True, most of them don't involve melee, but if you don't like melee, get into a situation where you don't have to punch.

So I have a friend who has 25% of the medal chest complete. He has a total of 32 different medals. 128 different medals sure is a lot!

EDIT: btw, Halo 3 has 56 medals, and thats if you include steaktacular and linktacular. ODST adds 9 new ones to halo 3's. So there should be a total of 63 new medals.

Insaniac

one problem i have with the melee system is that it makes it difficult to win when you encounter yourself in an disadvantageous situation. Say for example I have half a mag left in my AR, and I am falling back. I round a corner to run into an enemy who has full shields and an AR. What are my options? Assuming we both start shooting and both are at fullshields/health, we both start shooting but I don't have enough ammo to drop his shields, I'm left with the option to try and double melee, but its probably too late by now, switch weapons and try to kill him with that, but in most cases my shields would have been dropped by then and I'd be dead.

In halo 3, I could've possibly won the situation if I knew how to judge just when the enemy was in lethal melee range, but in Reach its so dumbed down. His shields MUST be gone to kill him with a melee, no other case.

I don't even want to consider double-melee because the melee recovery is stupid fast.

Kapura

Banned
Insaniac said:
one problem i have with the melee system is that it makes it difficult to win when you encounter yourself in an disadvantageous situation.

Yes. If you are at a disadvantage, it is harder to win.

Gui_PT

Kapura said:
Alright, if the antagonist has sprint, and if you both have full shield, and if he sprints and hits you before you can break his shield you will probably be fucked. But if he's far enough away that you can break his shield either with a grenade or sustained fire before he gets to you, you win. If you armour lock before he can hit you and you pop his shield with it, you win. If you have a goddammed jetpack and fly away, you win. If you put on camo, crouch, and move slowly before he can shower the area you were in with bullets, you can escape. If you have a shotgun, you win. If you have a sword, you might still be fucked seeing as how you can sword cancel with a melee, but you stand a better chance. There are lots of situations you are failing to consider that leave you alive. True, most of them don't involve melee, but if you don't like melee, get into a situation where you don't have to punch.

To be fair, let's call it a 50-50 in terms of win-lose when the antagonist has sprint. I never said you were wrong. I agree with all of what you said.

Again, I should've just said "I don't like this melee system" instead of saying it's "unfair"

Kapura said:

Comparing to H3, it's harder to win when you're at a disadvantage. That's part of why I don't like it. Maybe I just have to take some more time to adapt to the changes.

Wizpig

will27 said:
When do the new maps and modes go live?
Grab Bag - May 3
Free For All - May 3
Arena - May 3
Invasion - May 7
Network Test 1 - May 14

Now we have Grab Bag and FFA since it's not May 3 yet.

Magni

Church RvB said:
So is sword spree in ths game or what? I've had at least two (probably more) instances when I had 5+ sword kills in one game. I have yet to see someone with a sword spree. In fact, I saved one of my games with 5 sword kills in one life.

5 straight kills?

Wizpig said:
I don't think anybody knows this yet. (but you probably would have plenty of CR if you are capped, right? so that you can buy everything)
Well, max level was Warrant Officer 2 right? I'm at 74% of Warrant Officer 2, and although I believe you can still fill a bar after that, I think that's not 20000 CR, if I want everything. Too bad I probably hit the level cap before the beta starts.

Veelk

Banned
You guy's know what I think is totally unfair? The health System. If I have almost no health and my shield are down, any enemy can kill me near instantly, but I have to work to kill them? What kind of bullshit is this?!

Yes, this is a joke post. Disadvantageous situations are Disadvantageous. The goal here is to try not to be put into those positions. If everyone was equal 100% of the time, there would obviously be no point in having different abilities, and the game would be alot less fun.

Trasher

Wizpig said:
I don't think anybody knows this yet. (but you probably would have plenty of CR if you are capped, right? so that you can buy everything)
Hit the level cap yesterday. You still earn cR. Why wouldn't you?

JambiBum

Kapura said:
This.

We are complaining about being at a disadvantage and not being able to win now? Really? Really? I mean. Fucking REALLY? :lol :lol

Dirtbag

So flag return radius....
Was this intentional?
Also does armor locking over a flag keep the return timer going? Because thats bullshit if its the case. No one should be able to lock up over a flag and continue to return it.

Trasher

Dirtbag said:
Also does armor locking over a flag keep the return timer going? Because thats bullshit if its the case. No one should be able to lock up over a flag and continue to return it.
Yeah, it does. I kinda wish they would remove armor lock from flag games.

Wizpig

Prophet Steve said:
Well, max level was Warrant Officer 2 right? I'm at 74% of Warrant Officer 2, and although I believe you can still fill a bar after that, I think that's not 20000 CR, if I want everything. Too bad I probably hit the level cap before the beta starts.
Ooo, I'm not even Sergeant Grade 1 yet, how many levels after that to reach Warrant Officer 2?

I wanted to check my stats for Reach on bnet and I end up getting an email from Bungie to verify my email address by clicking on the link and it takes me to a welcome page thanking me for joining bnet and introducing me to the features it has....

Also, on the Overview page, is that Spartan going to be replaced by our own model come the full release of the game?

Gui_PT

JambiBum said:
This.

We are complaining about being at a disadvantage and not being able to win now? Really? Really? I mean. Fucking REALLY? :lol :lol

I like how you contibute.

Dirtbag said:
Was this intentional?

Yeah, the radius is like...1. And I do think that armor locking over a flag keeps the timer running

TommyT

Dirtbag said:
Was this intentional?

If you're on a flag and the timer is going down, then armor lock, the timer continues to go down. Why wouldn't it!? All someone has to do is pick it up while you're locked. :lol

Rubenov

How do you guys feel about the graphics? Do you find them significantly improved from Halo 3, or are they pretty much the same?

Insaniac

JambiBum said:
This.

thats the point though, i'm not even talking a huge disadvantage like being at low shields or no shields at all, I'm talking about nto having enough bullets in my gun to break the enemies shields. The disadvantage in needing to reload is huge, and almost invariable results in a death. No shit if you're at a disadvantage it'll be harder to win, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to win.

If i backpedal and shoot at him, i still need to reload to kill him while he will most likely shoot me to death with his full AR.

Gui_PT

TommyT said:
If you're on a flag and the timer is going down, then armor lock, the timer continues to go down. Why wouldn't it!? All someone has to do is pick it up while you're locked. :lol

That's actually a really funny thing to see

-"I'mma gon' protect mah flag! *armor locks*"

-"Ok...*Takes flag and runs away*"
:lol

IJoel

Rubenov said:
How do you guys feel about the graphics? Do you find them significantly improved from Halo 3, or are they pretty much the same?

I find the graphics greatly improved. I think it's probably harder to notice because the art direction in Halo games is very consistent.

With regards to armor lock, I can see it having a huge impact in games with vehicles. I can't wait for those.

Dirtbag

Trasher said:
Yeah, it does. I kinda wish they would remove armor lock from flag games.
I kind of wish armor lock was removed from the game entirely, I hate the battle interruption.
I can't imagine how much its going to piss me off when I'm robbed of a splatter kill because of it. But at the very least, the ability to continue to return the flag should be cut.

Veelk

Banned
Insaniac said:
If i backpedal and shoot at him, i still need to reload to kill him while he will most likely shoot me to death with his full AR.

Grenades? Armor ability? Coordinate with a teammate?

Mo0

Insaniac said:
thats the point though, i'm not even talking a huge disadvantage like being at low shields or no shields at all, I'm talking about nto having enough bullets in my gun to break the enemies shields. The disadvantage in needing to reload is huge, and almost invariable results in a death. No shit if you're at a disadvantage it'll be harder to win, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to win.

So because your gun isn't full, and his is... you should still be able to win? What?

Dirtbag

TommyT said:

Because I can't kill you at range when I'm trying to stop you from recovering the flag.
I find everything about the flag dynamics right now to be pretty sloppy.

Insaniac

Mo0 said:
So because your gun isn't full, and his is... you should still be able to win? What?

Yes, you should. Just like if you're fighting someone whos up on a cliff, he has the advantage of height, it shouldn't' mean you're absolutely fucked.

TommyT

Prophet Steve said:
EMP blast, melee, dead.

Actually a flag melee will override an EMP blast to melee I believe. That said, it is still worth it to run up and pick up the flag so it resets the return timer.

edit: seems a lot of these posts have to be troll posts. There's no way people can actually be complaining about some of this stuff that they are. :lol :lol :lol

feel

Wizpig said:
Can't adapt to a new game?
It's supposed to be Halo, not a NEW game like battlefield or something.

I was expecting this kind of departure in the new 343 Halo game or whatever, but not from Bungie's final Halo.

I've already adapted and love the gunplay, but jetpacks and some of the abilities make it something very unlike what I've been enjoying for the past 10 years.

But in the end my friends and I will just have to accept that in the default playlists it won't be what we expected from a new Halo, and will just have to go into the no-abilities playlists or vote for Slayer Pro or Classic on Arena.

Shake Appeal said:
To lighten the mood, here are some deaths I have suffered:

pistolisyourfriend.jpg

grenadesarepowerful.jpg

plasmalauncherispowerful.jpg
So pretty.

Ramirez

The Sudden Death rules for CTF suck, it should be proximity just like all of the other Halos. It also feels like each round is extremely short, is this just for Beta purposes to get more games in?

Insaniac said:
Yes, you should. Just like if you're fighting someone whos up on a cliff, he has the advantage of height, it shouldn't' mean you're absolutely fucked.

Logic has no place in this discussion! How dare you.

And the melee apologists are hilarious. I suppose the health system has an intricate and useful reason for changing as well, right? No.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Letters said:
It's supposed to be Halo, not a NEW game like battlefield or something, I've already adapted and love the gunplay, but jetpacks and some of the abilities make it something very unlike what I've been enjoying for the past 10 years.
But in the end my friends and I will just have to accept that in the default playlists it won't be what we expected from a new Halo, and will just have to go into the no-abilities playlists or vote for Slayer Pro or Classic on Arena.

Oh the horror.

TommyT said:
Actually a flag melee will override an EMP blast to melee I believe. That said, it is still worth it to run up and pick up the flag so it resets the return timer.
So you cannot simply walk away, it will override yes, but then you'll have to keep looking to the flag. And I think most people would hit you before you grab the flag.

Dirtbag said:
Was this intentional?

NO, NO, and NO! First of all, armor lock only lasts half of the time it takes to recover a flag. So it has to be used wisely. Secondly, any one can run up and grab it while someone is armor locking over it. It is extremely balanced. Just because you armor lock over a flag doesn't guarantee its recovery.

Gui_PT

Ramirez said:
The Sudden Death rules for CTF suck, it should be proximity just like all of the other Halos. It also feels like each round is extremely short, is this just for Beta purposes to get more games in?

In H3, a round wouldn't end if you were holding the flag, right? Or am I wrong?

TommyT said:
Fixed that for you.

Seeing you discuss the problem without discussing it is really funny.

Top Bottom