• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

ManCannon

Prophet Steve said:
Yeah, I even use "HERE" as sign to make it more clear.

There is a known team-color bug on Elites in Covie Slayer. You're not the only one who has problems discerning friend from foe.

GhaleonEB said:
FWIW, as someone who's red/green colorblind, I have an exceptionally hard time telling the two teams apart and have to rely on the waypoints almost exclusively. I have no issues with Spartan v. Spartan.

Spartan vs Spartan is fine.

There's a CLEAR difference. One team is Red, the other is Blue.

With Elites, one team is Dark Blue, the other is Dark Purple. It's pretty fucking dumb the more you think about it.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Not always, especially in intense small room fights.

Many times when people just appear out of nowhere around a corner or something, it's easy to mistake an ally for an enemy.

I'm 100% certain this is a pretty common occurance. It's not like it would change the game or anything if Bungie just you know, made them Red? As opposed to Dark Blue and Dark Purple?
Looking at them again, I agree. I cant even imagine how it would look on someones badly color calibrated TV.

If they don't change the texture of the elites, maybe just change the reticule to green when you are targeting a friendly. Like in campaign.

Edit: Good Stuff, ManCannon.

ManCannon said:
There is a known team-color bug on Elites in Covie Slayer. You're not the only one who has problems discerning friend from foe.
Sorry, some sort of sarcasm. Almost have no problems with Reach which still haven't been told.

Mentioning it, does loading screenshots also take so long with other people? I believe it takes a lot longer then in Halo 3.

Red

Anyone else seen someone use armor lock without entering the lock animation? Couple games ago I saw some guy standing there before his shields blew out and he entered the lock. He never had to "charge up" or exit the animation.

I've also had a couple grenades "break" my lock, but I think that's due to lag. One second I'm in armor lock, the next I'm not. It's weird and annoying, but I don't know if it's a glitch or the consequence of a bad connection.

feel

Kholdstare said:
Slightly increase jump heights Why? The levels are made with the current height in mind.
My thoughts.
I disagree. Multiple Powerhouse areas don't seem tailored at all for this new jump height, and you see people all the time fumbling multiple times trying to do pathetic jumps that seemed easy until they get frustrated and just go around.

Voltron64 said:
If this is true...just wow. I love Shadowrun but get that junk out of my Halo. I'm going to get myself a pair of scissors and go beard hunting brb.

Voltron, where the heck is that avatar from? :lol

Can't wait for Invasion! 6 on 6 baby! For some reason I keep thinking of the Battle of Helms Deep when I imagine a bunch of superior killing Elites rushing up some Spartan defended base :)

ManCannon said:

What bug?

This makes it sound like you guys won't be fixing the actual COLOUR of the Red (Dark Purple) Elites.

I haven't noticed a bug, I've just seen that the colours of the two teams are FAR too similar.

Bit of a naff evening in the arena for me, seems the trueskill is doing it's job so I am getting tougher games now, 1592 overall for me tonight, too tired to attempt to raise it.

I have noticed with the outdoor map that people use jetpacks to hide behind some high points and then nibble at you as you run past, or camp there with the energy rifle. Good idea but damn annoying for us below :lol I think more people are starting to use jetpacks correctly now, I ever get pistol'd from the air which makes it hard for me to fight back once I spot them.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
What bug?

This makes it sound like you guys won't be fixing the actual COLOUR of the Red (Dark Purple) Elites.

I haven't noticed a bug, I've just seen that the colours of the two teams are FAR too similar.
Someone could have logged a bug about the color of the elite's texture.

Thats the bug, most likely.

GhaleonEB

ManCannon said:
Superb. The rate at which my issues are being smacked down is simply delightful.
Letters said:
I disagree. Multiple Powerhouse areas don't seem tailored at all for this new jump height, and you see people all the time fumbling multiple times trying to do pathetic jumps that seemed easy until they get frustrated and just go around.
That's me! Though I'm learning what to avoid.

Oh god Invasion Friday. Gonna have to head home early. :lol

Kholdstare said:
Dare I ask...
Short version: Fan favorite Shadowrun gets a game released on the Xbox 360. Multiplayer Deathmatch only. Vista only on PC. Shitstorm ensues because the game has fuck-all to do with the license and isn't what any original Shadowrun fans would have ever wanted. (We wanted an RPG, or something that had actual, I dunno, Shadow Runs in it. Go figure.)

Turned out the game was pretty damn good though, just not in a "Shadowrun" sense. No campaign, goofy art style, and limited maps also doomed it because MS priced it at the full $60. Oh, and for good measure the studio that made it was shut down upon release.

Basically a clusterfuck of epic proportions. But now it looks like some of the beloved combat mechanics (or the philosophy behind them) from that game have worked themselves into the Halo sandbox as a way to mix things up with Reach. And you're now seeing a similar reaction from long time players.

What have you done to my Halo? ie. What have you done to my Shadowrun?

Raide

2 Minutes Turkish said:
What bug?

Pink Vs Green....goooooooooo!

Kibbles

Sprinting and gliding is so awesome.

Rocks are rocky.
2n0j08y.jpg

Sill4

Raide said:
Pink Vs Green....goooooooooo!
This would be totally fuckign sweet. Keep RvB for Spartans, have Elites be PvG or YvV.

Dirtbag said:
crouching to increase accuracy in halo... PASS
Does anyone even know how big of a difference it makes? I would have never known if Urk had not told us.

I really don't see anybody successfully crouch shooting a moveing target while engaged in a firefight. Crouching seems like it would only help with long range sniping with DMR/Nerfle (damn you Ghaleon).

sorry Letters, I messed up your arrows :lol

feel

^ The game looks so good.

I was wondering, how will players show off their division standing tomorrow if there's no Service Record in the beta?

FourDoor

urk said:
Well I'd post it again, but that'd be the third time, so...

JURK!!!

Just to be clear though, the act of crouching does what exactly? Does it reduce the recoil? Does it reduce the reticule bloom? or both?

Raide

Sill4 said:
This would be totally fuckign sweet. Keep RvB for Spartans, have Elites be PvG or YvV.

Bungie should really make Elites stand-out from the Spartans. Red Vs Blue is such an iconic pairing of colours, the Elites need their own to stand out as well. Could also lead to a new Rooster Teeth series. :lol

Pink Vs Green!

RefigeKru

Banned
Played the beta with my friend online for about 6 hours.

Um.

Swordbase was never fun. Powerhouse was an uphill battle at first, but got pretty enjoyable once I knew where everything was. Doesn't hold a candle to High Ground though :p
Assault Rifle feels pretty weird.
DMR is a terrible, terrible Battle Rifle substitute.
Needler got busted.
I'm sure I saw my rocket glide across the floor.
Grenade launcher is pretty fun, actually.
Plasma Rifle, is actually worth using -- one of the few improvements.
Focus Rifle is bleh.
Melee system, my god, what is going on.
Grenades are faaaaaaar too strong.
Spawns were messed up in the games I played.
Jumping and Speed feels weird, didn't feel like I was in control as much as I usually feel in Halo.
Pistol, didn't enjoy using it, though had to resort to killing people with it since most everything else felt out of control -- which was pretty hard anyway since I couldn't see the reticle most of the time.
Armor abilities are pretty neat, except for camojammo, gets pretty tedious at times.

Overall, most of the weapons felt pretty weak. I didn't enjoy much really, disappointed as a whole since I was on the verge of having an aneurysm before we started playing out of sheer excitement. It doesn't feel like the Halo I loved, anything at all like it really.

RefigeKru said:
Overall, most of the weapons felt pretty weak. I didn't enjoy much really, disappointed as a whole since I was on the verge of having an aneurysm before we started playing out of sheer excitement. It doesn't feel like the Halo I loved, anything at all like it really.

Play more. A lot of the Halo vets have been retconning their hate.

I personally loved it from the get go.

Kholdstare

Letters said:

I can only think of one area where this is really an issue, and that's at the sloped ramp into the bottom of the pro pipe base. You can't jump on the ramp unless it's the very corner where the slow is just low enough. This thing drives me nuts, but that's the only thing that bothers me.

NullPointer said:
Short version: Fan favorite Shadowrun gets a game released on the Xbox 360. Multiplayer Deathmatch only. Vista only on PC. Shitstorm ensues because the game has fuck-all to do with the license and isn't what any original Shadowrun fans would have ever wanted. (We wanted an RPG, or something that had actual, I dunno, Shadow Runs in it. Go figure.)

Turned out the game was pretty damn good though, just not in a "Shadowrun" sense. No campaign, goofy art style, and limited maps also doomed it because MS priced it at the full $60. Oh, and for good measure the studio that made it was shut down upon release.

Basically a clusterfuck of epic proportions. But now it looks like some of the beloved combat mechanics (or the philosophy behind them) from that game have worked themselves into the Halo sandbox as a way to mix things up with Reach. And you're now seeing a similar reaction from long time players.

What have you done to my Halo? ie. What have you done to my Shadowrun?

That's reasonable. I sort of knew what you were hinting at but I wasn't quite sure which part of the Shadowrun 360 vs PnP/Genesis game you were going to reference. I didn't want to get into one of those discussions again.

I see the humour in that logic though.

I think today was the first day that I actually got pissed off a little bit with the blooming of weapons, you know those moments where you can't keep your shot speeds low enough and end up spraying the wall behind the enemy. Also the DMR on the current two maps can be real cramped to use it well so I can't wait for that big-ass assault map we get on the 7th, then I can use it and test it out better.

The competition is improving somewhat online, people are learning tricks and how to use each weapon well, damn that hammer.

Raide

@ RefigeKru

You seem to have all the same issues that many players have had with Reach. They also happen to be the same issues people have until they learn the new stuff, adjust to the weapons, and find out it is actually awesome. Not without its issues but awesome never the less.

Falagard

Domino Theory said:
So would it fair to assume that these are some universal changes people want to happen? (Gameplay changes listed only):

• Slightly increase movement speed
  • Slightly increase jump heights
  • Restrict Jetpack to certain maps (ex: SwordBase, yes. Powerhouse, no.)
  • Decrease Focus Rifle's ammo
  • Decrease Rocket's splash damage
  • No sprinting allowed with the Hammer (not sure about the Sword, though)
  • Nerf grenade damage, but not its radius
  • More solid reticules (aka make it easier to see them)
  • Consistent and more forgiving reticule bloom (ex: if I fire this fast, the reticule will ALWAYS bloom the same way. Also, if an opponent and I are using the pistol at the same distance, he shouldn't be able to land his shots if he's spamming and I'm timing my shots. The reticule needs to be so consistent that we could almost memorize how big it'll get if we shoot this fast or this slow)
  • Reduce shield beeping warning sound to when shields are actually low. I don't want to hear the warning beep come when I've only been shot with one bullet.
  • Add a delay to meleeing when coming out of a sprint just like the weapon shooting delay is added when coming out of a sprint (your character automatically re-equips his weapon when coming off a sprint)

I hope Sage takes these changes to heart. I understand what he's trying to do with the sandbox of Halo: Reach, but there are things that can be improved on, changed or removed. Bungie always says they have to cut or change one thing to make the other one work even better whether it's a gameplay thing or a vehicle or a weapon or a feature so Sage, it's okay for you to do the same!

Disagree with everything except bolded.

Also, it's reticle, not reticule. My favorite spelling error so far is rectile bloom, which sounded like a sexual disorder.

soldat7

Halo was in desperate need of change, and change is what it got; and it's better for it. To be honest, if it were released tomorrow without a single tweak or update, I'd be happy. Sure there are a few bits here and there that could use rework (and to be honest, I'm afraid that Bungie will listen to some of you and go overboard, oh well), but right now, Reach is incredible.

Almost every single proposed change would have Reach slip backwards towards Halo 3, and that would be a darn shame.

Raide

soldat7 said:
Halo was in desperate need of change, and change is what it got; and it's better for it. To be honest, if it were released tomorrow without a single tweak or update, I'd be happy. Sure there are a few bits here and there that could use rework (and to be honest, I'm afraid that Bungie will listen to some of you and go overboard, oh well), but right now, Reach is incredible.

Almost every single proposed change would have Reach slip backwards towards Halo 3, and that would be a darn shame.

*salutes*

I need to get amongst the HaloGAF crew. Is there some kind of initiation/Ass paddling to get in? :lol

EazyB

Banned
So now I have to crouch if I want a consistent spread... for fuck's sake.

Did Bungie outsource Reach to Teyarch?

RefigeKru said:
Yup, and the more you play the more you learn the playstyle required to excel in Reach is an even greater divergence from what made the rest of the franchise fun.

Sill4

What's with people not knowing how to play Oddball FFA?

Dude is just sitting in a building racking up his score, and everyone runs around outside the building hammering/ shooting each other.

If I see a dude going after the Ball-Man, I just weaken his shields and let him do the dirty work for me. Then he's ripe for killing, and the ball is mine (until I get naded 5 seconds later)

Also, what's with people not knowing how to use Jetpacks? Be less like a flying Rambo, and more like Boba Fett. Use it to confuse your opponent and for quick escapes. I'm at the point where I can get to power weapons almost as quickly as Sprinters, by using controlled bursts of the throttle.

Sill4 said:
What's with people not knowing how to play Oddball FFA?

Dude is just sitting in a building racking up his score, and everyone runs around outside the building hammering/ shooting each other.

If I see a dude going after the Ball-Man, I just weaken his shields and let him do the dirty work for me. Then he's ripe for killing, and the ball is mine (until I get naded 5 seconds later)

Also, what's with people not knowing how to use Jetpacks? Be less like a flying Rambo, and more like Boba Fett. Use it to confuse your opponent and for quick escapes. I'm at the point where I can get to power weapons almost as quickly as Sprinters, by using controlled bursts of the throttle.

That's officially how FFA oddball has been played since...ALWAYS. Everyone has ADHD times ten and can't resist hunting everyone around them rather than stop the guy that already has 2 minutes of time on everyone. Was no different in Halo 2 and 3.

FourDoor said:
JURK!!!

Just to be clear though, the act of crouching does what exactly? Does it reduce the recoil? Does it reduce the reticule bloom? or both?
From trying it briefly with the pistol, it didn't seem to reduce the bloom in the slightest.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
  • Wtf, no. Do not make the plasma launcher a shitty third person slow weapon, it would just be a shitty missile pod then.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped ball taken ball dropped

holy shit oddball is an annoying mode. I think there's a glitch somewhere because it just would not stfu. Even when nobody was near the damn thing.

Falagard said:
Disagree with everything except bolded.

Also, it's reticle, not reticule. My favorite spelling error so far is rectile bloom, which sounded like a sexual disorder.
Agree with your disagreement.

JohnIIVII

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Not always, especially in intense small room fights.

Many times when people just appear out of nowhere around a corner or something, it's easy to mistake an ally for an enemy.

I'm 100% certain this is a pretty common occurance. It's not like it would change the game or anything if Bungie just you know, made them Red? As opposed to Dark Blue and Dark Purple?
I actually made a thread on b.net about this issue. We have come to the conclusion that Green vs Purple would be a good idea, ala invasion.

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=43810671&viewreplies=true#end

Trasher

urk said:
Well I'd post it again, but that'd be the third time, so...
Wow. So it IS true then! I thought you were joking. :lol

Guess I wasn't just seeing things when I was messing around with crouch.

ManCannon

2 Minutes Turkish said:
What bug?

Intended: Elite team colors are obviously, visibly different
Actual: Elite team colors are FAR too similar.

thatbox

Banned
Read in the OP what they did to the melee:
Shields & Melee | Melee blows will no longer carry through shields to damage the health beneath it. A melee will pop shields, whether they're full or at a sliver. A melee will likewise drop a Spartan without shields - but no more whittling shields down and then landing a killing blow before shields are down. A smack from behind is as deadly as ever.
That's hilarious. No wonder it feels so miserable - definitely even worse than the god-awful system they implemented last time to "hide" lag.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
EazyB said:
So now I have to crouch if I want a consistent spread... for fuck's sake.

Instead of shooting like this: CRYCRYCRYCRYCRY
Shoot like this: CRY CRY CRY CRY CRY

No crouching required.

Top Bottom