• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do not upgrade to Windows 10 (yet) if you are using DualShock 4

Zomba13

All good now.

Yup. You're right. Everything is good. It works exactly like it did before and I didn't even need to update or change the .exe. No double inputs. Only 1 controller, the DS4 detected as a 360 pad. Full touch pad support. Perfect.

RGM79

Have had zero issues with Windows 10 since the "kill explorer.exe" workaround was discovered. Works wired and wireless. I have tried several different bluetooth adaptors and all have worked. I used a Logitech Dinovo adaptor plugged into a Dell monitor USB hub at work, a tiny MSI bluetooth 2.0 branded adaptor on my HTPC, and a IOGear branded bluetooth 4.0 on my bedroom PC. All systems were running Windows 10.

synce

Seems like MS did something to fuck up DS3 recognition in the latest updates. I can still use the controller in games that support Xinput, but they no longer recognize it as a 360 pad, so for example when I'm doing a tutorial it'll show keyboard prompts instead of the 360's buttons. It's really weird and annoying.

Yup. You're right. Everything is good. It works exactly like it did before and I didn't even need to update or change the .exe. No double inputs. Only 1 controller, the DS4 detected as a 360 pad. Full touch pad support. Perfect.

Seems like MS did something to fuck up DS3 recognition in the latest updates. I can still use the controller in games that support Xinput, but they no longer recognize it as a 360 pad, so for example when I'm doing a tutorial it'll show keyboard prompts instead of the 360's buttons. It's really weird and annoying.

Whelp now I'm confused. I was considering pulling the trigger on a windows 10 update since I saw OBS and Voicemeeter working on it. Controllers were my last holdout.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I just got the BT adapter, but I get some disconnection errors and drops when I plug it on the back of my PC.

If I plug it in the front, it seems okay. But I don't like it being in the front since it takes one of the two precious USB slots. I guess I'll have to test my USB cable extensions next.

It's hard for a wireless signal to work through your PC. That's a lot of electrical interference in a metal box between it and you.

How do you setup the stick to look/aim properly? Everything I've tried on Google still feels off to me, it lacks precision, it's slow moving whilst walking, etc. is there a game profile database somewhere?

I need profiles for these old games:

Call of Duty 2
Joint Operations / Advanced Warfare 2
SWAT 4

Lime

Sorry for bumping this, but I just wanted to chime in and say that I got my bluetooth dongle to work by using an USB extender, just like Grinchy wrote above:

I hated it and assumed it didn't work because it was cheap. This is the adapter I plugged it into instead of using the front of case or motherboard USB slots:
7iQCeKSm.png

And it now works amazingly. I've had a keyboard, mouse, and 2 PS4 controllers connected to it at the same time without a single hiccup.

I also have the Logitech USB extender and now I no longer experience any connection drops or input lag at all.

Sorry for bumping this, but I just wanted to chime in and say that I got my bluetooth dongle to work by using an USB extender, just like Grinchy wrote above:

I also have the Logitech USB extender and now I no longer experience any connection drops or input lag at all.

which DS client are you using?

Lime

which DS client are you using?

DS4Windows latest version. Had connection drops after only a minute of play on my desktop PC, but after going to my basement and searching through all my old hardware stuff I found the Logitech USB extender that I apparently had lying around, I no longer have any problems whatsoever.

It should be noted that before experiencing the problem on my desktop PC, the controller worked totally fine with my laptop's bluetooth. So it's very machine-dependent, I think.

DS4Windows latest version. Had connection drops after only a minute of play on my desktop PC, but after going to my basement and searching through all my old hardware stuff I found the Logitech USB extender that I apparently had lying around, I no longer have any problems whatsoever.

It should be noted that before experiencing the problem on my desktop PC, the controller worked totally fine with my laptop's bluetooth. So it's very machine-dependent, I think.

I had connection drops and not being able to reconnect with DS4W but I switch back to input mapper and it works fine now.

Bl@de

I have problems with weird lag spikes when using ds4windows. Distance from PC is 2,5m, Windows 10, DS4 in exclusive mode. Happens every couple of minutes and causes the controller to go crazy for a second. Is there any fix for that? I heard about changing WiFi channels, but don't know if it really helps.
I don't have any problems on my PS4. Would love to use the DS4 on my PC but it's unplayable like this.

EDIT: I want to play MGSV with it because I played all the MGS games with Dualshocks (duh) and would love to use it here too. Is it right that the game has native DS4 support?

Lime

I have problems with weird lag spikes when using ds4windows. Distance from PC is 2,5m, Windows 10, DS4 in exclusive mode. Happens every couple of minutes and causes the controller to go crazy for a second. Is there any fix for that? I heard about changing WiFi channels, but don't know if it really helps.
I don't have any problems on my PS4. Would love to use the DS4 on my PC but it's unplayable like this.

EDIT: I want to play MGSV with it because I played all the MGS games with Dualshocks (duh) and would love to use it here too. Is it right that the game has native DS4 support?

Maybe speedwagon's suggestion on Inputmapper? Maybe that will help

Changing channels is easy and worth a try.

I'm guessing the interference some people are experience is due to plugging the dongle into a USB 3.0 port? There's a known issue with USB 3.0 where some devices emit interference on the 2.4Ghz band, so that's why using one of those 'extenders' probably helps.

Bl@de

I'm guessing the interference some people are experience is due to plugging the dongle into a USB 3.0 port? There's a known issue with USB 3.0 where some devices emit interference on the 2.4Ghz band, so that's why using one of those 'extenders' probably helps.

I have onboard bluetooth so that isn't the issue in this case. I also have onboard WiFi, so I think that may be the case. Today I will try Input Mapper and maybe that will help. Input mapper question: How do I change Lightbar intensity? No matter the setting, it's always 100% (I can change colours, switch it off - but brightness doesn't react).

Kudo

To make sure, the analog sticks are not supposed to touch the corners of the calibration square right? Just a circle when you spin it around.

Also funny how you can get 1.5ms input lag with Bluetooth but wired connection is always constant 4ms, wonders of USB. Guess there's not much difference between them.

EDIT: Just ordered Plugable USB Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy Micro Adapter for that wireless, can't deal with the cord anymore. Here's hoping it works perfectly.
EDIT2: Don't want to bump the thread but in case someone takes look here looking for good dongles, received the Plugable Bluetooth dongle, plugged in and it just works. Getting 1.25ms in DS4Windows compared to 4ms when wired.

Soren01

The build also introduces several known issues which you might want to read before installing it on your device. So, here are the known issues for PCs in build 14291:

We continue to investigate an issue in which some Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro 4, and Surface Book devices experience a freeze or hang and all input such as keyboard/trackpad and touch do not work. The workaround is to hold down the power button to force the device to hard-reboot.

Your PC may freeze when plugging in an Xbox One or Xbox 360 controller and other gamepads in this build.

If you use Hyper-V and have a Virtual Switch configured for your network adapter, you may see an error indicator (red-colored “X”) for your network adapter in the notification area of your taskbar. The error indicator is incorrect and your network adapter should continue to work just fine.

We are seeing reports of some apps such as QQ crashing. We are currently investigating, and this bug may also impact older apps such as Windows Live Mail and Expression Encoder 4.

If you have Kaspersky Anti-Virus, Internet Security, or the Kaspersky Total Security Suite installed on your PC there is a known driver bug that prevents these programs from working as expected in builds from the Development Branch. We are partnering with Kaspersky to fix this issue for a future release, but at this time there are no known workarounds. While this issue is present, we recommend using Windows Defender or another third party anti-virus product of your choice to remain protected.

I can confirm this bug. :(

I have onboard bluetooth so that isn't the issue in this case. I also have onboard WiFi, so I think that may be the case. Today I will try Input Mapper and maybe that will help. Input mapper question: How do I change Lightbar intensity? No matter the setting, it's always 100% (I can change colours, switch it off - but brightness doesn't react).
Not sure if you'll see this, but did you figure out a fix for this? This happens to me too.

Elixist

been using ds4 (wired) windows 10 with ds4windows and seems to work perfect. its cool to use the touchpad as a mouse.

Lime

been using ds4 (wired) windows 10 with ds4windows and seems to work perfect. its cool to use the touchpad as a mouse.

Seriously I'm never going back to an Xbox controller. The multi options and button assignment with the touchpad are so amazing and makes screenshotting with flycam from the couch even possible.

And playing a PSX game from 1999 with a DS4 controller makes me so happy.

I have an Alienware Alpha with onboard Bluetooth. Using DS4Windows seems to work perfectly with a wired DS4. But wireless always drops connections...

Should I just buy a Bluetooth dongle? Is that the wireless solution?

tensuke

I have an Alienware Alpha with onboard Bluetooth. Using DS4Windows seems to work perfectly with a wired DS4. But wireless always drops connections...

Possibly an issue with your Bluetooth signal, I have a ~$12 adapter I got from Amazon that works great. I have it on the end of an extension cord (that it came with) and I have no problems using 4 DS4s at once on it.

Lime

Yeah dongle works for me. But I had to use a usb extender cord because that gives it more power as someone wrote earlier above.

Lazaro

This has been an issue for awhile on Windows insider builds, I think the Xbox drivers got a major update or somethin.

Hopefully the issue is similar to what Inputmapper suffered from last year, so the problem can be rectified quicker.

Also Thread Title needs to be updated to reflect the Windows Anniversary update.

onken

Yup. DS4 to Xinput mapper is broken again after the anniversary update.

e~ bleh, even the connecting while killing explorer.exe trick doesn't work anymore

Nabs

If you're using ds4windows, you can create a .bat file to automate the process at startup. You can probably do the same w/ inputmapper:

I got it from here, but there's the code:

ds4.bat said:
cd "D:\DS4Windows"
start "" /wait "D:\DS4Windows\ExclusiveModeTool.exe" /s /a

start "" "D:\DS4Windows\DS4Windows.exe"

exit

Just replace the folder info to match your own, then you can make a shortcut to that file and add it to the startup folder (run> shell:startup). The /s /a at the end of the fix is important to make it all automatic.

Seems like something the actual ds4 program should be updated to do on it's own when you start it up, hopefully the Dev updates it, I really like using my ds4 on the PC via bluetooth.

Miker

So the exclusive mode tool is no longer working for me on Win10 anniversary update. Steam, Uplay, Origin, etc aren't running, either. DS4Windows keeps on reporting that it can't open my DS4 exclusively. Anybody else have issues?

EDIT: never mind, a restart fixed it. I have no idea what's going on w/ Windows and DS4 usage any more.

Josman

Hi GAF, can someone give me a hand with this?
I just upgraded to 10, on Windows 8.1 I mapped mouse movement to the left stick and left click to "X", etc. for couch gaming, for some reason I can't make it work on Windows 10 despite following the same steps, nothing happens when I move the stick, what gives?

Top Bottom