• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport delayed to 2017

Sayad

Before PS3 and this current gen PD had an advantage as they had the best hardware and close and probably first access to previous PS development tools and libraries. Since 360 where development is more PC like PD have been made redundant. They no longer have the advantages they so enjoyed in previous PS generations.
wtf am I reading?!!
9ovvu0I.gif

John Wick

He has no idea about he's talking about but he continues to present his own illusions as facts and such. But hey, at least it is fun!

Amar we know you live and breath GT so in your eyes they probably can't do no wrong. But why don't you check out the independent reviews from the gaming press who aren't attached to one side or the other and have played various racing games? You'll find what's fact and illusion quite easily enough.

John Wick

A vague 2017...

One has to wonder in what kind of state the game would have been had the original release date stuck?

You'd be downloading massive updates every few months. A bit like GT5 with its 25+. Even after taking 4-5 years it still needed that much updating.

They should fix what they have before adding more content imo.

That would just lead to further delays.

That's not really how game development works, you add, iterate and polish, not the other way around. If they see the public wants more content, you delay the game, decide what to add, add it, iterate and then polish and fix.

Also, what is it that is broken and they need to fix? If you don't like the game, that's fine, but even if I don't like Forza you don't see me going into Forza threads all the time saying their shit is broken or complaining about yearly releases milking the franchise, or about not having dynamic weather/time even though it's been 6 years since GT5 launched with those features on a weaker hardware, etc.

GlamFM

Banned
That's not really how game development works, you add, iterate and polish, not the other way around.

Also, what is it that is broken and they need to fix?

From the Gamescom version the showed every track but the Nordschleife needed polish.

Framerate was really, really bad.

And what´s the other bullshit you edited in?

I love GT. GT3 A-Spec is my favorite racing game of all time. I own every GT game except 6. I just want PD to get good again.

I would also really appreciate if you wouldn´t tell me where to post.

From the Gamescom version the showed every track but the Nordschleife needed polish.

Framerate was really, really bad.

I saw the Gamescom version (didn't play, had no time) and the framerate seemed fine for a game that was months away from shipping. And yes, environments are polished relatively late in development often, when you're also balancing performance.

And if you don't like the stylistic/artistic choices for tracks in GT (being "boring" for some people) that's fine too. I wish Driveclub had some more shiny stuff instead of being so realistic looking too, but that's how it is.

You should have developed ignorance towards such narrative during GT5 times. People have no idea what theyre talking and spitting nonsense is among strongest in GT/PD threads.

Even basic math can showcase how PD made almost billion $ to SCE revenue solely during GT1-GT4 era and how even often cited "50 million $" budget for GT5 is nothing in the overall picture. Also, noone ever contextualized that figure, which is another story.

Polyphony's bussines and techical output is nothing but remarkable when seen outside of gaming forums. What PD built with GT is only their success and no other game in the genre comes close.

Truly amazing how some continue to deny the reality of the situation.

To those wondering why polyphony remains relatively untouched and evolution had to die:

One was across the world, the other a few floors down. Sad.

Hopefully this game is better for the delay, but goddamn, Sony needs to put some fucking producers with balls to deliver a game that doesn't take 5 years on that team.

Nah. Its because one created the largest racing franchise in video game history, has sold over 75 million games, formed connections between motorsports and gaming industry like no one else, made over a 1$ billion revenue for SCE in the last gen and is SCE's most valuable studio alongside Naughty Dog.

wtf am I reading?!!
9ovvu0I.gif

The typical driveby posts you see in GT threads.

GlamFM

Banned
I saw the Gamescom version (didn't play, had no time) and the framerate seemed fine for a game that was months away from shipping. And yes, environments are polished relatively late in development often, when you're also balancing performance.

And if you don't like the stylistic/artistic choices for tracks in GT (being "boring" for some people) that's fine too. I wish Driveclub had some more shiny stuff instead of being so realistic looking too, but that's how it is.

I never said anything about tracks being boring. Stop making shit up pretty please.

The performance of the GC built was rough - there is a reason this game was delayed...

I never said anything about tracks being boring. Stop making shit up pretty please.

The performance of the GC built was rough - there is a reason this game was delayed...

I was talking about the tracks looking boring due to a lack of eye candy. If you don't mean that, what do you mean then by the tracks needing polish? (which it is already obvious for a game that is months away from shipping, polish comes last).

I also thought Willow Springs was pretty awesome looking. The urban Tokyo track doesn't look very different from how SSR5 was looking in GT5 - a very plain urban environment with office buildings and not much more, but I think that's a design decision/lack of resources to make a big change there. PD probably doesn't have many urban environment artists.

I would love to see an awesome new version of Seattle :( It breaks my heart how many games we've had without it now (plus other old fantasy tracks).

GlamFM

Banned
I was talking about the tracks looking boring due to a lack of eye candy. If you don't mean that, what do you mean then by the tracks needing polish? (which it is already obvious for a game that is months away from shipping, polish comes last).

I also thought Willow Springs was pretty awesome looking. The urban Tokyo track doesn't look very different from how SSR5 was looking in GT5 - a very plain urban environment with office buildings and not much more, but I think that's a design decision/lack of resources to make a big change there. PD probably doesn't have many urban environment artists.

I would love to see an awesome new version of Seattle :( It breaks my heart how many games we've had without it now (plus other old fantasy tracks).

GT3, Seattle, Nissan Silvia = <3

Audioboxer

I don't blame Sony for this. It's when you have arseholes like Kaz in charge. Surely he should of known that his team were never gonna have it ready so why go with this bullshit place holder release date???
Anyway if GT Sport doesn't beat Forza in every respect then Kaz needs to go. They'll have had double the time so there should be no excuses why the sound, handleing,physics and car modding isn't as good or if not better. Locked 60fps should be no problem

I mean Kaz has gone a bit Kutaragi in recent years but lowering him to "asshole tier" seems a bit... unfair?

The guy is a perfectionist and car nut, two things that can help tremendously in a game, or as we see with GT hinder it as he seems to be project lead in a hierarchy where he is the boss and that is that. Like Kutaragi with the PS consoles.

PD need to find a way to reign Kaz in, but letting him go like Kutaragi isn't needed, and would like it or not be a huge loss for PD. Kutaragi totally lost the plot and CELL for example was a massive waste of time, money and effort. GT isn't any of those (people chomping at the bit to say it wastes money get slapped about continually by its sales figures). What it is though is a Kaz led dream project that every now and then gets faced with reality of what games development entails rather than living in Molyneux dreamland where imagination trumps real development.

For one PD either need to expand or start outsourcing, as they've proven in recent years they cannot handle the size of the projects they start without lots of delays, or tons of after release patches (bordering on the insanity level of 20GB+ worth of updates). They aren't just adding to GT, they are fixing or putting in things Kaz talks about prior to release. Which is some regards is good but when it happens with every fucking GT release as of late that shows a trend which they clearly aren't doing much about to fix.

GT Sport seems like another Kaz dream of conquering the E-Sports realm with little regard to tons of legacy GT fans. He has his project lead blinders on again and getting him to listen seems like a huge task. Gamers largely fail to get him to listen (gamers/journalists/reviewers/etc ~ I mean reviews have been fucking hammering GT for years) so I have no idea how PD as a studio manage. They probably all just follow him unconditionally due to his "celebrity" status in the car world. Translater-san needs to put some pressure on his boss for all our sake. Hopefully even 1% of this delay is about PD listening to feedback. Hopefully. I hold little hope there though and rather just think it's a delay because the E-Sports dream of Kaz is in such a rough shape it cannot launch this year. No doubt online/netcode is shit as usual, something PD and other Japanese devs seemingly cannot handle all that well (the new HD towns I suppose).

Servbot24

Banned
I don't blame Sony for this. It's when you have arseholes like Kaz in charge. Surely he should of known that his team were never gonna have it ready so why go with this bullshit place holder release date???
Anyway if GT Sport doesn't beat Forza in every respect then Kaz needs to go. They'll have had double the time so there should be no excuses why the sound, handleing,physics and car modding isn't as good or if not better. Locked 60fps should be no problem

He's an asshole because you have to wait a bit to play a video game? Come on man.

Kaz is a treasure. Yeah, his production is not efficient, but guys who are fanatical about craft like he is are so awesome to have in the industry. I'll wait to see his unique take on the genre. You can bet it will be a lopsided game versus even-keeled things like Forza , but I really like the character that brings to past GT games.

Sayad

The typical driveby posts you see in GT threads.

It's not "drive by" because the dude is probably the most active member in the past few pages, seriously though, PD working on platforms which had hardware advantage pre-PS3! And then them being redundant because 360 development was "PC like"... WTF!

Amar we know you live and breath GT so in your eyes they probably can't do no wrong. But why don't you check out the independent reviews from the gaming press who aren't attached to one side or the other and have played various racing games? You'll find what's fact and illusion quite easily enough.
Could you please link me to the GT review that points to the facts(or illusions!) in this post?
Before PS3 and this current gen PD had an advantage as they had the best hardware and close and probably first access to previous PS development tools and libraries. Since 360 where development is more PC like PD have been made redundant. They no longer have the advantages they so enjoyed in previous PS generations.

Good news, the shit they announced so far would have seen GT off for good.

Now they can add a solid single player campaign and make this online FIA nonsense a special event widget on the front end, the 400-odd cars they were hoarding for premium DLC, TT mode, course maker and event creator.

Lol

Its no man sky all-over again folks. Here's "the list".

Looking forward to your tears.

Kaz finally got his hearing fixed and heard the difference between real life engine sounds and GT engine sounds.

Believe!

GlamFM

Banned
Random!

Working on a car ad RIGHT NOW and look at this:

ZmxKQZo.png

The GT brand is ridiculously powerful.

Forza will never get there.

John Wick

He's an asshole because you have to wait a bit to play a video game? Come on man.

Kaz is a treasure. Yeah, his production is not efficient, but guys who are fanatical about craft like he is are so awesome to have in the industry. I'll wait to see his unique take on the genre. You can bet it will be a lopsided game versus even-keeled things like Forza , but I really like the character that brings to past GT games.

I don't question his first 4 GT games as they were sublime. They took motorsports places. They led and others followed.
I think he needs to stop with being a celebratory and start concentrating more on GT Sports. Also start listening to your fans and accept criticism. There are no excuses with the PS4

Good news, the shit they announced so far would have seen GT off for good.

Now they can add a solid single player campaign and make this online FIA nonsense a special event widget on the front end, the 400-odd cars they were hoarding for premium DLC, TT mode, course maker and event creator.

That's probably not why they are delaying it. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

I don't question his first 4 GT games as they were sublime. They took motorsports places. They led and others followed.
I think he needs to stop with being a celebratory and start concentrating more on GT Sports. Also start listening to your fans and accept criticism. There are no excuses with the PS4

I bet you know everything about game development then, and especially what makes GT sell?

How do you know Kaz doesn't accept criticism, or isn't professional with his craft? Kind of silly.

All the assumptions.

John Wick

I mean Kaz has gone a bit Kutaragi in recent years but lowering him to "asshole tier" seems a bit... unfair?

The guy is a perfectionist and car nut, two things that can help tremendously in a game, or as we see with GT hinder it as he seems to be project lead in a hierarchy where he is the boss and that is that. Like Kutaragi with the PS consoles.

PD need to find a way to reign Kaz in, but letting him go like Kutaragi isn't needed, and would like it or not be a huge loss for PD. Kutaragi totally lost the plot and CELL for example was a massive waste of time, money and effort. GT isn't any of those (people chomping at the bit to say it wastes money get slapped about continually by its sales figures). What it is though is a Kaz led dream project that every now and then gets faced with reality of what games development entails rather than living in Molyneux dreamland where imagination trumps real development.

For one PD either need to expand or start outsourcing, as they've proven in recent years they cannot handle the size of the projects they start without lots of delays, or tons of after release patches (bordering on the insanity level of 20GB+ worth of updates). They aren't just adding to GT, they are fixing or putting in things Kaz talks about prior to release. Which is some regards is good but when it happens with every fucking GT release as of late that shows a trend which they clearly aren't doing much about to fix.

GT Sport seems like another Kaz dream of conquering the E-Sports realm with little regard to tons of legacy GT fans. He has his project lead blinders on again and getting him to listen seems like a huge task. Gamers largely fail to get him to listen (gamers/journalists/reviewers/etc ~ I mean reviews have been fucking hammering GT for years) so I have no idea how PD as a studio manage. They probably all just follow him unconditionally due to his "celebrity" status in the car world. Translater-san needs to put some pressure on his boss for all our sake. Hopefully even 1% of this delay is about PD listening to feedback. Hopefully. I hold little hope there though and rather just think it's a delay because the E-Sports dream of Kaz is in such a rough shape it cannot launch this year. No doubt online/netcode is shit as usual, something PD and other Japanese devs seemingly cannot handle all that well (the new HD towns I suppose).

Thanks for responding in a nice manner rather than accusing me of just shit posting etc.
Your right I went a bit far there lol.
I think the studio could have done with some maybe European development talent to maybe give Kaz a different view to just his solitary vision. That's why I'm angry they just let Evolution studio go rather than integrate them with PD.
With PS3 I could kind of understand their problems with the complex architecture and small ram coding GT5 was hard. But with PS4 there shouldn't be any excuses for performance. Sound is still an issue yet Evolution managed to do good engine sound?
In the past PD were the pioneers and innovators but I think that's in the past. Development is far too long and always some sort of delay. They have been surpassed and it's now up to Kaz to listen to criticism and fan feedback and deliver a stunning GT Sport because time is running out and so are the excuses.

Outrun

I have to agree.

GT changed videogame racers.

But a more efficient pipeline is needed.

Oneself

I'm 100% for a delay and 0% surprised considering this is PD. I came here expecting 10% shitposts and 15% drivebys, with 20% of them shitting on rival driving games like Forza, AC and PC. I am 77% satisfied by reading this thread.

What is the average % of this post?

EGOMON

Random!

Working on a car ad RIGHT NOW and look at this:

ZmxKQZo.png

The GT brand is ridiculously powerful.

Forza will never get there.
Yeah GT is more than a video-game franchise it has grown to a global brand in Motorsport i.e. GT Academy, FIA Racing Team even has approved award at SEMA auto show and many other real life partnerships

thelastword

Banned
You need to stop with the excuses. PD have been surpassed long ago. They only survive on the name of GT. If I was in charge I would of got rid of Kaz a long time ago. They should have merged Evolution with PD and shared tech. It's a joke how long PD take still using the same lame assets from PS2 era. You'd think by now they'd have increased the size of the studio but some people never learn. Unless GT Sport is amazing i think they need to pack it up
If they have been surpassed, why is GT the most anticipated racer, the sim racer which continue to wallop all other racers in sales?

Also, if people really don't care about GT and think Kaz should be burned at the stake for this delay and that GT is not like Forza, why don't they simply go play Forza or all those other racers that smacks GT silly?

still don't understand why they didn't port GT6, with true 1080, and rock solid 60fps, Like I don't get why you wouldn't do that, seems minimal cost and satisfied your consumers and get a couple of extra million in sales.
I agree with that. I didn't buy GT6 on PS3, but I would have definitely bought it on PS4 in the interim, but maybe PD wants GTS/7 to be the PS4's first splash, perhaps they fear people with GT6 remaster would have been content with just that.

Personally, I think a GT6 remaster would look much better than the majority of released sim racers this gen including Project cars, Assetto Corsa and Forza 5/6.

Melfice7

What bothers me is no one knows whats going on with the game or why it was delayed, theres no communication except yeah we gonna delay it, until whenever...

I still don't get what Kaz is trying to accomplish with the game though? And the statement was really vague lol...what exactly was the delay for "more polish" I guess?

I really was looking forward to more info, hope we get it soon even with the delay because I'm confused on exactly how Kaz thinks this version will equate such a robust single player mode in past games. A lot more explaining for the campaign is needed. Glad they didn't do a release date, just tell us a month out when you're sure it's ready and launch, it's GT doesn't need a countdown lol.

John Wick

If they have been surpassed, why is GT the most anticipated racer, the sim racer which continue to wallop all other racers in sales?

Also, if people really don't care about GT and think Kaz should be burned at the stake for this delay and that GT is not like Forza, why don't they simply go play Forza or all those other racers that smacks GT silly?

I agree with that. I didn't buy GT6 on PS3, but I would have definitely bought it on PS4 in the interim, but maybe PD wants GTS/7 to be the PS4's first splash, perhaps they fear people with GT6 remaster would have been content with just that.

Personally, I think a GT6 remaster would look much better than the majority of released sim racers this gen including Project cars, Assetto Corsa and Forza 5/6.

We all know the reason why GT is such a big seller. Its on PlayStation.Maybe your being dense on purpose. On Xbox 360 you had 3 great franchises Project Gotham, Forza and Forza Horizon. All exclusive. On PS you had GT.
So why do you think the majority of the gaming press rate Forza higher than GT??? Why is that?

Servbot24

Banned

A new GT is more of an event than a new Forza simply by virtue of it coming out 3 times less frequently. There are people who only buy Forza once every 2, 3, 4 years. Different release strategies that inherently will result in more sales for a specific GT game, but doesn't necessarily mean GT is more successful.

Top Bottom