• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Has Been Delisted From PlayStation Store Without Prior Notification

nial

Gold Member
"That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"

-Jim "champ" Ryan.
it's funny how Jim Ryan was the one to actually put PS1 games on PS4, when Tsuyoshi Kodera and Andrew House didn't even bother.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Kind of a dick move not to give people a heads up. I've bought several games just before they were delisted. How useless is the game without the servers?

I never understand why they do this. I get stopping kinda empty servers and switch to an offline only mode. I can more easily understand abandoning any GT prior to Sport since those are on not yet offcially emulated PS3 and the older on their legacy systems, but PS4 stuff is heavily supported and still important for PS5. I also get that licenses might probably only been given for a limited period. But they are still working with the very same car companies, can extend any agreement and payment adjusted with current sales figures and just continue selling GT1-6 and S for those who want to experience the old ones. Maybe even add ad banners in those games for the most recent one. Any GT would have been an interesting addition to Plus also.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I never understand why they do this. I get stopping kinda empty servers and switch to an offline only mode. I can more easily understand abandoning any GT prior to Sport since those are on not yet offcially emulated PS3 and the older on their legacy systems, but PS4 stuff is heavily supported and still important for PS5. I also get that licenses might probably only been given for a limited period. But they are still working with the very same car companies, can extend any agreement and payment adjusted with current sales figures and just continue selling GT1-6 and S for those who want to experience the old ones. Maybe even add ad banners in those games for the most recent one. Any GT would have been an interesting addition to Plus also.
Money. They want people moving over to the latest game.

As much as people hate activision and kotick, how often do they shut down servers or stop selling old games?

Right now you can find an old ass COD4 match if enough players are looking for a game.

Since the game came out in 2008, I play world at war off and on for 15 years. The Xbox lobby is down to about 500 of the same gamers I see. The company is making zero extra money as the game wasn’t monetized like modern games and probably everyone has all 3 map packs already.

Yet the servers are still on.

Last edited:
Nice strawman. No one is pretending it is impossible to acquire. It is all of a sudden more difficult. Eventually you have less availability which leads to inflated prices and you better hope you have a disc drive or hold on to your ps4 or ps5 disc model.
We arent in 2035 yet, discs are still a real thing and you can get GTS for $10. No, its not going to become a collectors item just because its not on the store, neither did Driveclub and you can get that game on disc for like $5.

Success

I'll keep posting them especially when it's news pertaining to the interests of this forum. That said, it sometimes annoys me that a few select people who don't even contribute with anything noteworthy on this forum have to whine about "clone threads". If you don't like the thread either ignore the post itself or the thread poster lol.

Thick Thighs Save Lives Thick Thighs Save Lives , let me speak for your many silent supporters. Keep doing what you are doing and ignore the 5 vocal people that keep on complaining.

You are a true treasure to NeoGAF and without your constant threads a posts, this place will be much worse.

I said it before and I will keep saying it.

You have NO idea how much you are loved in this community ❤️

ShakenG

GT fan, probably wont miss it at all. GT7 does the same and much, much more. And since GT7 is on PS4, there's no reason to stick to Sport.

I don't have any skin in the game here but it's silly to act like this isn't overall a bad thing. I'm not saying other publishers don't do it as well. I love to go back and play games of yesteryear just to get a glimpse of what made it special or to compare to other contemporary games. It's a bad thing anytime a game is delisted.
Even with physical games, the idea that they're available nearly a decade after release just isn't true.

Back in the day old games were impossible to find copies of in stores and the price would sky rocket on the used market for a copy of a game like SotN.

People are both unrealistic and hypocritical on this.

A game no one is buying being delisted after 7 years is not a bad thing. It's nothing. It's not even worth the time we're spending to discuss it.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I wasn’t playing it, and I wasn’t gonna play it, what angers me is that I am not able to play it. You can bet I am damn angry at this affront to my omnipotence.
steve carrell anchorman GIF by FirstAndMonday

Klosshufvud

Even with physical games, the idea that they're available nearly a decade after release just isn't true.

Back in the day old games were impossible to find copies of in stores and the price would sky rocket on the used market for a copy of a game like SotN.

People are both unrealistic and hypocritical on this.

A game no one is buying being delisted after 7 years is not a bad thing. It's nothing. It's not even worth the time we're spending to discuss it.
The problem is moreso Sony prematurely burying this highly popular game by killing its servers. Don't give me that bullshit about licenses. It's going to require some extreme mental gymnastics from you when Sony will require an online connection to even play the game but won't permit online play. I'll be here watching you defend that.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Pretty funny that this is being defended by the notion that you should have to buy another $70 game to play it.

I'm not too outraged myself, but I am wondering, when sony sells an online game like this, do they make it clear to buyers it could end service at any time somewhere not in the tiny fine print?

MarkMe2525

We arent in 2035 yet, discs are still a real thing and you can get GTS for $10. No, its not going to become a collectors item just because its not on the store, neither did Driveclub and you can get that game on disc for like $5.
Again, you go straight into a hyperbolic argument. No one stated we are in 2035, no one stated disc aren't real. No one made these claims because frankly they are stupid. You ignore the fact that there is a customer out there right now (owner of a PS5 DE) that may like to try this game out, for whatever reason they see fit, and they cannot without acquiring a completely different console because of the digital version being delisted.

I already acknowledged that other publishers do this and it sucks for those cases as well. My only statement was "less options=bad". Since you take issue with this statement, I would love for you to give me the reason why this is not the case. Please enlighten me as to why it's "not bad" for it to be more difficult to acquire and run a piece of software.

The problem is moreso Sony prematurely burying this highly popular game by killing its servers. Don't give me that bullshit about licenses. It's going to require some extreme mental gymnastics from you when Sony will require an online connection to even play the game but won't permit online play. I'll be here watching you defend that.

It doesn't require any mental gymnastics, because I don't care.

Don't buy the game if you don't want to. It's pretty simple as that.

The grievance culture is absolutely tiring.

Again, you go straight into a hyperbolic argument. No one stated we are in 2035, no one stated disc aren't real. No one made these claims because frankly they are stupid. You ignore the fact that there is a customer out there right now (owner of a PS5 DE) that may like to try this game out, for whatever reason they see fit, and they cannot without acquiring a completely different console because of the digital version being delisted.

I already acknowledged that other publishers do this and it sucks for those cases as well. My only statement was "less options=bad". Since you take issue with this statement, I would love for you to give me the reason why this is not the case. Please enlighten me as to why it's "not bad" for it to be more difficult to acquire and run a piece of software.

Because you are complaining about a lesser product dissapearing for the sake of complaining. GTS is not a mainline entry nor is it so far behind that it looks graphically different, they literally reused all those models for GT7 except now its full 4K support in all its glory. They literally merged everything from GTS into GT7. Its like saying....FIFA 2024 we have a full game but 2 years ago they had an online only FIFA for people that just wanted to compete with other real life players.

There is absolutely zero reason for someone to say hmmm lemme "revisit" GTS. Theres nothing to revisit, you have all of it in GT7 and way more. GTS was an online mod. They made it still playable in offline now that they delisted but I dont get why would anyone go back to GTS unless they already have the game. This isnt GT3 to GT4 jump. Its a mid season online only game that got transferred into GT7, cars, tracks, music, licenses and all.

MarkMe2525

Because you are complaining about a lesser product dissapearing for the sake of complaining. GTS is not a mainline entry nor is it so far behind that it looks graphically different, they literally reused all those models for GT7 except now its full 4K support in all its glory. They literally merged everything from GTS into GT7. Its like saying....FIFA 2024 we have a full game but 2 years ago they had an online only FIFA for people that just wanted to compete with other real life players.

There is absolutely zero reason for someone to say hmmm lemme "revisit" GTS. Theres nothing to revisit, you have all of it in GT7 and way more. GTS was an online mod. They made it still playable in offline now that they delisted but I dont get why would anyone go back to GTS unless they already have the game. This isnt GT3 to GT4 jump. Its a mid season online only game that got transferred into GT7, cars, tracks, music, licenses and all.
Unsurprisingly, you completely dodged my question and once again planted a strawman front and center within your first sentence.

If you can't comprehend the myriad of reasons someone would want to play an "inferior" older game, then I question your ability to see past your nose.

Last edited:

demigod

Thick Thighs Save Lives Thick Thighs Save Lives , let me speak for your many silent supporters. Keep doing what you are doing and ignore the 5 vocal people that keep on complaining.

You are a true treasure to NeoGAF and without your constant threads a posts, this place will be much worse.

I said it before and I will keep saying it.

You have NO idea how much you are loved in this community ❤️
Honestly im disappointed in him. I dont see any thick thighs in his avatar.

coffinbirth

I am curious how many people were actively still playing this game online. Like, hundreds or...

There-are-dozens-of-us-Arrested-Development.gif

Either way, sucks for those guys.
Just remember, the homebrew community will have this game back online probably sometime before we're all dead.

Unsurprisingly, you completely dodged my question and once again planted a strawman front and center within your first sentence.

If you can't comprehend the myriad of reasons someone would want to play an "inferior" older game, then I question your ability to see past your nose.
What did I avoid, what is this strawman analogy, speak English. You yourself are bitching about a game you never played first of all. Second, an inferrior older game IS THE SAME FUCKING GAME in GT7, its an ONINE MODE of Gran Turismo. How daft do you have to be that this is nothing like delisting Forza Motorsport 7 or Driveclub which are full games. GTS was used as a competition title and inclusion of FIA which all continued in GT7 as well. GT Sport, the mode EXISTS IN GT7! Why is it so hard for you to understand this is an online only mode lol, GTS is not GT3 that I want to revisit for the old OST and tracks. EVERYTHING is in GT7, can you comprehend that detail already?

Klosshufvud

What did I avoid, what is this strawman analogy, speak English. You yourself are bitching about a game you never played first of all. Second, an inferrior older game IS THE SAME FUCKING GAME in GT7, its an ONINE MODE of Gran Turismo. How daft do you have to be that this is nothing like delisting Forza Motorsport 7 or Driveclub which are full games. GTS was used as a competition title and inclusion of FIA which all continued in GT7 as well. GT Sport, the mode EXISTS IN GT7! Why is it so hard for you to understand this is an online only mode lol, GTS is not GT3 that I want to revisit for the old OST and tracks. EVERYTHING is in GT7, can you comprehend that detail already?
This is bullshit by the way that GT Sport is just an online mode. It has a really good offline component aswell. GT7's SP progression is completely different so saying that GTS is just GT7 without its SP counterpart is not only disingenous but also flat out wrong.

Tarnpanzer

Damn, I have it in my library for more than a year without ever coming around to play this.

Is there at least some small singleplayer component in this game that I can still play after the servers shut down?

MarkMe2525

First, you can go figure out what a strawman is for yourself. In my little experience in education, I believe it will help drive home the concept so that you may learn how to actually discuss the points presented instead of making up your own points to argue.

Same game? They back ported Sports graphics? They back ported the presentation, music, and physics engine? Are you purposefully being this obtuse? Why would someone play the original Mario when they ported the content to Mario Allstars? Why would someone play Halo 1 when you can play the anniversary edition? If you have been around the gaming scene for more than a few months you would understand that it is common to revisit games of your past, even if they are an inferior version (notice how you don't need to type in all caps like a grandma on Facebook to make a point). This is self evident and I don't feel the need to explain what nostalgia is.

Again, you misrepresent my original statement in an effort to distort my viewpoint which was plainly stated, "it's a bad thing anytime a game is delisted, it's a bad thing anytime a game becomes harder to acquire and play". If you disagree with this sentiment, please explain your reasoning.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
GT Sport essentially got me into the Gran turismo series, it must have been a tough decision to remove it from the store.

DonF

they should patch out the online things or at least put a warning that online services no longer work.

the posibility to still play a racing game should exist, its not like its an mmo that NEEDS the online features.

Mr Moose

Money. They want people moving over to the latest game.

As much as people hate activision and kotick, how often do they shut down servers or stop selling old games?

Right now you can find an old ass COD4 match if enough players are looking for a game.

Since the game came out in 2008, I play world at war off and on for 15 years. The Xbox lobby is down to about 500 of the same gamers I see. The company is making zero extra money as the game wasn’t monetized like modern games and probably everyone has all 3 map packs already.

Yet the servers are still on.
Not sure about this game, but Call of Duty doesn't use dedicated servers, especially in their older CoDs. That could be why they are still available.

Top Bottom