• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

vhfive

DiabolicalBagel said:
Look at all dat dress-up! Screw the game, I just wanna look pretty.
I'm right with you. Unfortunately we'll probably have to play the game first to unlock all the pretty.

You need to be able to unlock whatever the armor Master Chief has is called. Without the Chief it feels like something is missing, so at least give us his armor. :D

neoism

Dirtbag said:
I'm hoping the brutes are menacing as hell, and if that pans out, they might even be a highlight of the campaign. Then we can bitch about how they took out all the brutes :lol
If so Hunters better be BOSSES, in Reach. I'm not sure off-hand, which aliens are bigger, I've always though hunter's. If you look at the way they've done Elites in Reach(which I fucking love), Hunters better be BOSSES:lol especially sense your not playing as Chief.

GhaleonEB

neoism said:
If so Hunters better be BOSSES, in Reach. I'm not sure off-hand, which aliens are bigger, I've always though hunter's. If you look at the way they've done Elites in Reach(which I fucking love), Hunters better be BOSSES:lol especially sense your not playing as Chief.
In each Halo game, Hunters have gotten progressively more terrifying, so that would fit. That first Hunter encounter in ODST....my god.

Size wise, I think it goes Elites < Brutes < Hunters

Edit:

Elites: 7'4"

Brutes: 8'5"

Hunters: 12'

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Bestiarum
Alienshogun said:
Yeah, he edited after my post.
Yup, thanks for pointing it out.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GhaleonEB said:
In each Halo game, Hunters have gotten progressively more terrifying, so that would fit. That first Hunter encounter in ODST....my god.

Size wise, I think it goes Elites > Brutes > Hunters

I think you have that backwards. Unless of course those are meant as arrows and not greater than.

GhaleonEB said:
Like Achievements in perpetuity. I'm actually kind of concerned that the Challenges are going to utterly destroy me.

If they can deliver a lot of challenges and maybe later on support them with new ones through updates...wow.

I'll be endlessly playing Reach.

Hell, I'd be playing it forever even without challenges and awesome new features :lol

I'm glad to see the hype is back in this thread.

feel

Wow, epic update Brian!!! Worth the wait for sure.

Love that the Player Carnage screen is back to being similar to the one in Halo 3, showing how many medals of each you got in the previous game, and they're all right there in view without having to do extra scrolling.

feel

UltimaPooh said:
316uov7.jpg

OMG! <3 Bungie.
Is that bright light hitting the spartan model from the left something new post beta?? I'm trying to figure out why this is looking even sexier than how it looked in the beta.

Doodis

neoism said:
Like a BOSS!

Cov_Hunter.jpg

Striker

Can see the visor being involved for changes, also. Make it whatever color and apply the tint. The bland gray in the beta kind of makes sense for this.

Also know wrist-guards and knee guards are involved by remembering the "models" we saw a while back about all the armor pieces.

EazyB

Banned
Brian just set a new bar for BWUs, I don't envy Urk, seems like the cards are stacked against him:
Brian made a note himself.

“Just so you know, before you get started in on that I’m shutting it down. Cut, bro.”

Anyways, really interested to see how the vehicles will play now. As one of my favorite aspects of Halo 3 the beta's implementation was a complete joke.

• Overall vehicles are “much, much meatier” than they were in the Beta.
  • Vehicles will no longer just explode on their own, “GTA style.” Vehicles will only blow up from direct player damage. So, no more killing an opponent and flying away only to have your flaming vehicle suddenly explode on you.
  • Vehicle damage will now partially transfer to the player, just like you’re used to in Halo 3. You’ll see this represented in your own shield/health meter as your vehicle takes damage.
  • Even cooler – the damage that a player takes depends on the location of the damage being done relative to the player. So, if you throw a grenade underneath a Warthog, the driver is going to take a little bit of damage. If you throw a grenade into the sun roof or windshield, the driver will take significantly more damage.
I wonder similar to Halo 3 they're talking about. In Halo 3 your vehicle would never blow up unless your shields and the shields of all passengers had dropped. The vehicle got damage and this was represented visually but it also meant that the more damaged the vehicle was the more damage occupants of that vehicle would take. I thought it worked very well and didn't understand why the switch to the CE campaign system was implemented in the beta.

Now they're saying the damage is partially transferred to the player. That could mean it works just as it did in Halo 3 but at least to me it leaves some ambiguity. Will I never blow up or die unless I've watched my shield and health deplete all the way or will the vehicles eventually blow up if they soak up enough damage regardless. I'm hoping they stick with the Halo 3 system but if not I think it's essential that they give players a CE-esque vehicle health bar. Without it, it could be really confusing seeing your spartan's shield and health deplete partially, think you still have a good amount of fight in you, just to have your vehicle blow up at 1/4 shield or something. Anyways, glad to see the location an explosion has a significant impact on the damage certain players will receive. Pretty sure it's there to some degree in Halo 3 but it feels somewhat random many times.

Also I assume that mysterious 5th bullet is talking about how awesome the chopper plays in the alternate universe where it made it into Reach. Gotta find me a way over.

feel

You keep mourning the chopper, but I just refuse to believe in its exclusion yet. The chopper has to be there, even if just in multiplayer and forge. It's introduction in halo 3 was basically Bungie mocking other shooter developers and their vehicles for how far behind they are, when it comes to design, control and overall badassery. It just has to be in the game.

VVV oh nice catch!! Would be uber cool if your model held the weapon with which you have the most kills in your total career, but of course, letting us choose would be the best.

Blueblur1

Thagomizer said:
One of those options is probably visor color.

And that is an awesome helmet.
I'm hoping for visor color customization exists in some form. I want my sweet gold visor back.

I'd like HUD color customization too but I think they shot that down a long time ago. I hate the weird tint of green they uses for Elites; I prefer Halo 2's purple.

Edit: I noticed this but I don't think anyone else has. Look at the weapon the Spartan is holding. Wasn't it always an AR in the Beta?

ToolOfDestruction.jpg

EazyB

Banned
Other awesome bits from the BWU:
  • E3 is going to be the shit. The part about not everything being in the conference has me pretty hyped. Hopefully they go all out with the feature reveals. I realize Forge wasn't revealed until much latter for Halo 3 but given that it's an expected feature and hopefully something much more integral to the MP experience, I'd love to hear about it then
    or now, I have room in my PM box.
  • 9 customization parts. Fucking awesome, hopefully they've figured out a way to include armor pieces as DLC to include in the map packs. I also hope they go bananas with the pieces having a ton of ridiculous stuff (I mean they have flaming heads already).
  • Any idea what Legacy could refer to in the service record? As someone who loves me some aggregates I can't wait to see the full extent of the reward system and stat tracking.
  • The rank icon list made me remember a big request I have. Go all out on the number of ranks, I've progressed a total of 4 times in the last 3 years, even if I hit general that number wouldn't be much different. Make the ranks plentiful and the ceiling vast.
  • Shishka needs to stop posting pictures of flowers and start PMing me pics of Forge.

Letters said:
You keep mourning the chopper, but I just refuse to believe in its exclusion yet. The chopper has to be there, even if just in multiplayer and forge. It's introduction in halo 3 was basically Bungie mocking other shooter developers and their vehicles for how far behind they are, when it comes to design, control and overall badassery. It just has to be in the game.
I think it has to do to MS certification. Developers can only put so much awesome in one game before they start making everyone else on the platform look bad. You can see its repercussions throughout Reach: improve things like graphics, netcode, game modes, and features while taking out incredible gunplay and choppers.

Hopefully MS lifts this restriction but I'm not holding my breath.

EazyB

Banned
Blueblur1 said:
Edit: I noticed this but I don't think anyone else has. Look at the weapon the Spartan is holding. Wasn't it always an AR in the Beta?
Good catch. I can't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure it was always the AR.

Reach_MPBeta_PostGame.jpg

I think it'd be neat if it automatically equipped your most used ToD in your service record shot. Would give a lot of insight into the player with just that. For instance: see some dude just standing their picking his ass without a weapon in sight you know he's a melee dude.

If anyone's down for some Halo it seems like I just netted myself some rare weekend videogame time so I'mma hop on.

Sai-kun

Banned
EazyB said:
I think it'd be neat if it automatically equipped your most used ToD in your service record shot. Would give a lot of insight into the player with just that. For instance: see some dude just standing their picking his ass without a weapon in sight you know he's a melee dude.

holy shit.

THIS IDEA IS AMAZING.

no joke, dude. it would be fuckin' awesome to see some dude just hefting a splaser or plasma launcher (that would be me :lol) or some guy with a sword. Oh my god. I want this.

Mayyhem

BWU was great.

Looking forward to all the updates to the final version. The customization is going to be unreal + the rank icons are looking hot.

E3 here we go

Kapura

Banned
Sai-kun said:
holy shit.

THIS IDEA IS AMAZING.

no joke, dude. it would be fuckin' awesome to see some dude just hefting a splaser or plasma launcher (that would be me :lol) or some guy with a sword. Oh my god. I want this.
Yes, I can't imagine people woukd ruin games trying to game the system and get something rare like pasma pistol to show as the tool of destruction. People also definately wouldn't try to, say, camp the rocket spawn and refuse to try and kill anybody with something else. People in halo certainly aren't dicks of the first magnitude who will ignore the team aspect of a game to try and get something unique.

Oh, wait a second...

GhaleonEB

Sai-kun said:
holy shit.

THIS IDEA IS AMAZING.

Not sure how grenades would be displayed, though. This fellow's ToD is grenades, accounting for both (lol) his kills. So either grenades just default to your starting weapon, or you can select what weapon to hold in your pose.

Edit: And Kapura's point above is a good one, player behavior would be influenced just to see it. I suspect you can pick your weapon.

Sai-kun

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Not sure how grenades would be displayed, though. This fellow's ToD is grenades, accounting for both (lol) his kills. So either grenades just default to your starting weapon, or you can select what weapon to hold in your pose.

Edit: And Kapura's point above is a good one, player behavior would be influenced just to see it. I suspect you can pick your weapon.

If your ToD is a grenade, the Spartan would just be tossing a frag up and down.

Good point about the camping thing though. I hope they let you choose (if there's any way to change it at all!)

AwesomeSyrup said:
You need to be able to unlock whatever the armor Master Chief has is called. Without the Chief it feels like something is missing, so at least give us his armor. :D
It would make an awesome ultimate unlock imo.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
bobs99 ... said:
I cant believe people are still saying this, im on the side where people write detailed posts and dont make stupid 1 sentence generalizations. People here have managed to write up theyre issues with the game in pretty big detail, and clearly Bungie agrees because they have even increased the jump height and movement speed. No one wants Halo 3.5, but no one wants a game that they dont enjoy either. Halo Reach can be changed from the beta and still be full on sequel you know?
I'm sorry I don't like go into huge explanations explaining every single facet of why I enjoyed my gaming experience with Halo: Reach. Or why I was very happy that it marked a change from the formula we've come to expect. Personally, it meant to me that Bungie was actually experimenting and trying to shake the foundation of what a Halo game was. Which if you recall in the vidocs they claim it was the "definitive Halo: experience from the people that made Halo. " (Not sure if those are the exact words, but that's the gist.) I was glad that Bungie didn't set out to just make small tweaks to their formula, which would've just caused complaints regardless. (BR, I'm looking at you.)

I actually recall some people I ran into on the Beta saying they were enjoying it, way more than MW2. This was a big deal to me for two reasons:

1) People I know (people on my friends list) had quit Halo 3 for the CoD games, specifically the MWs. Hell a good number of people abandoned Halo for CoD.
2) It would change the view of the franchise from "it plays just like any other Halo game" to "this is different, this is Halo: Reach."

I love the fact the armor abilities change every encounter as we know it, that they add another layer of strategy into the mold and that it presents itself way better than the equipment could ever hope to. I love the fact that the bloom also adds another layer of strategy with having to time your shots. I love the fact that Reach has separated itself so well from the franchise and what it means to be a Halo game.

I love that the game didn't fall into sequel-itis and adding in a thing here or there, making a small tweak and calling it a day, that most developers often do this generation and choose to play it safe. I'm glad Bungie took a gamble with the beta, knowing it would be unlike the previous entries and knowing full well that many people were going to expect the same meal they've been served 3 times before. (lol fewd) I love that rather than giving people what they expected they're giving people what they want to give them and that is what they consider their definitive Halo experience and if you don't agree with certain core changes, then you don't agree with what Bungie would consider Halo.
Dani said:
Big post.
Exactly. "Reach is its own game. It's still Halo, but it's not Halo 4." I'm glad it's not Halo 4 either. From the beginning I've said I wanted a different Halo experience and that was what I got in the Beta. I'm sure however that whatever 343I does with their Halo (4?) entry it will be amazing and will floor us. But for now, I wanted something different, because I grew tired of what I've come to expect of Halo as a franchise. I didn't want a repeat, I didn't want Halo 3.5 and I got what I wanted. The best part about it, is that it does stands alone and since it is its own game, it makes perfect sense that these changes and new elements were made/brought to the table.
electricpirate said:
That name calling was way worse than anything the beta did.

"Ohh you just want halo 3.5 because you are an unimaginative moron."
I don't think I've ever said that. But if I did (which I'm sure I didn't), it was to people who would whine because they didn't grasp the mechanics yet early on, not people who wrote lengthy post explaining their issues.
electricpirate said:
"ohh, you just like reach because you aren't a true halo fan and suck at the game, and I'll use your killstats/time since registered to prove it."
I have never poked at anyone's stats, but I have posted my own to preemptively defend myself against anyone who might have tried to say I have not played much Halo when I have.

Now do I think the beta was perfect? No. Am I glad changes are being made? Absolutely. Will I enjoy the game regardless of changes made? Yes.

Finally that was way too big of a post for me to write, about a videogame, ON THE INTERNETS. I won't explain myself again and instead leave you with my one sentence generalizations cause it just isn't worth explaining yourself on the internet often and if one sentence can really rile you up so much, then you need to rethink your priorities. (edit: This comment was aimed not at Dani, but at bobs99.) But you weren't really that mad/riled about it, so w/e.

Also I realized I shouldn't try typing in small boxes and just write this in word doc.

Plywood said:
Super long post.

Cool, I appreciate the time you took to explain your point of view but your acting as if people hate the changes you listed, they don't. If people don't like a small aspect of the game that doesn't mean they want Halo 3.5. You wrote a paragraph about Armour Abilities, but who has ever asked for them to be taken out?

Finally that was way too big of a post for me to write, about a videogame, ON THE INTERNETS. I won't explain myself again and instead leave you with my one sentence generalizations cause it just isn't worth explaining yourself on the internet often and if one sentence can really rile you up so much, then you need to rethink your priorities. (edit: This comment was aimed not at Dani, but at bobs99.) But you weren't really that mad/riled about it, so w/e.

Meh, I was pretty pissed at the comment, so you hit it on the head, to be fair if I had posted "TL;DR didnt read - its the internet, chill out.", to everything you just posted, you would have a right to be pissed, even if I then went and wrote a essay on what I actually meant. :lol

My point is, HaloGaf is a direct channel to Bungie, so im gonna keep posting my complaints/ feedback in the hope it gets taken on board (a lot of it already has), if you dont like it, just ignore it, don't waste your own time with a 1 sentence response, especially if theres no point in eva posting on the internetz!!!

P.S. Great WWU! Those screenshots gave us a LOT of info, I cant believe how many categories there are on the player customization screen. Also chellenges look interesting, Forge and Custom game challenges would also be awesome, but I dont see how they would work, I guess the other categories are Firefight and Campaign

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
bobs99 ... said:
Cool, I appreciate the time you took to explain your point of view but your acting as if people hate the changes you listed, they don't. If people don't like a small aspect of the game that doesn't mean they want Halo 3.5. You wrote a paragraph about Armour Abilities, but who has ever asked for them to be taken out?
Some of the MLG Gaffers were saying they didn't like the AA's and they didn't want them in MLG. Something to that effect, I can't recall exactly.
bobs99 ... said:
Meh, I was pretty pissed at the comment, so you hit it on the head, to be fair if I had posted "TL;DR didnt read - its the internet, chill out.", to everything you just posted, you would have a right to be pissed, even if I then went and wrote a essay on what I actually meant. :lol

My point is, HaloGaf is a direct channel to Bungie, so im gonna keep posting my complaints/ feedback in the hope it gets taken on board (a lot of it already has), if you dont like it, just ignore it, don't waste your own time with a 1 sentence response, especially if theres no point in eva posting on the internetz!!!
I suppose my post can/was interpreted as me attempting to provoke others, but I was generally happy that the changes weren't small tweaks and were instead large changes to the franchise we all know and love. Which was I commented. Maybe I just shouldn't have said anything when that one poster commented about a rift in the HaloGAF community. xP

Also, its not that there isn't any point posting on the internetz as much as it is hard to humanize a wall of text. And I found myself agreeing with a lot of posters sentiments on certain changes that had to be made. Except for the plasma launcher. &#3232;&#969;&#3232;

Blueblur1

Actually, at some point I might have made the comment that I want Reach to be Halo 3.5. And I still do. Why? I feel that Halo 3, gameplay wise, is perfect. If I could get Bungie to make new maps, armor perms, etc. for Halo 3 then I would never play Reach. But that's not going to happen so it sucks to be me. In any case, the change lists demonstrate to me that Bungie's slowly making Reach a little more like Halo 3 so I'm happy for now.

My brother correctly pointed out that it only says 'knee guards' as opposed to 'left/right knee guard'. An interesting tidbit, no?

That mention of that lightning powered vehicle instantly made me think of the chopper...

neoism said:

I love how the Hunters were terrifying in ODST. If Reach makes them even more BOSS, I'll be a very happy merry Halo fan.

Gui_PT

KS Seven X said:
I love how the Hunters were terrifying in ODST. If Reach makes them even more BOSS, I'll be a very happy merry Halo fan.

Those guys were brutal in ODST. Hunters haven't been that cool since CE.

Blueblur1

I listened to the podcast this morning and was very pleased with it. Hopefully they make more meaningful changes that will actually make the game feel more like Halo 2 and 3 which have set the current standard for the franchise.

Another thing I hope they address is the lengthy pause a player has to endure if he/she falls from more than 15 feet/world units (obviously I'm relating in-game space to real life so I'm probably off). It's the another aspect of player movement that made me feel like my character was sluggish and more like a soldier in a Call of Duty and/or any other military shooter. I don't think they should remove it but I often felt hampered by it. I found myself often coming to a full stop when I was trying to make simple jumps like I do in Halo 3.

Ske7ch, awesome BWU. Thanks to all for the congratulations!:D

I'm liking a lot of what I'm seeing. More customization options, the (seemingly) ability to choose which weapon you want to hold, commendations, all of it. Just want to add a few commentary on some specific pieces....

Steve Scott showcased all of the amazing work going into bringing the visual effects to life in Reach. The sound of my jaw hitting the floor gave Steve quite a startle. I got to see something new, something that emits arcs of lightning that crackle and radiate outward, splintering into smaller bolts as it hits the ground. Imagine a mysterious awesome vehicle that’s powered by a violent thunder storm. Yeah, awesome.
Forerunner Tank.

les_fleurs_est_tres_belle.jpg

Valhalla remake.

For the vehicle modifications, does this mean that vehicle damage is now back to what it was in Halo 2/3/ODST?

Magni

EazyB said:

I suggested this during the beta, hopefully it'll happen :D

Congrats Dax, and nice update Brian =)

With the WC and finals coming up I haven't been here in a while, but I had to check the BWU :D Good thing I did too :D

GhaleonEB

service_record.jpg

I only just now noticed the "Legacy" option here. Since it's in the Service Record section, I'm thinking it's a record of accomplishments separate from career stats and Commendations: historical seasonal rankings in the Arena, a log of what Challenges you've beaten, Campaign completion badges, etc.

I'm kind of nerding out at the thought of all this being built into the game, and not just on b.net.

Brian walked a beautiful line. Every topic he covered both revealed something and teased something else, as did every image.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:
Brian walked a beautiful line. Every topic he covered both revealed something and teased something else, as did every image.

Revealing update that teases as much as it reveals = win. Almost didn't miss Urk at all. Almost.

Diablohead said:
Do not want.

Fun map in H3 beta and for a while in retail but I hate the map, it's open but should have had more rocks about, also boring layout.

Disagree. Valhalla is great map, timeless classic. Although I'm looking forward to see the new take on the design of the classic, two base, green field map.

GhaleonEB said:
I only just now noticed the "Legacy" option here. Since it's in the Service Record section, I'm thinking it's a record of accomplishments separate from career stats and Commendations: historical seasonal rankings in the Arena, a log of what Challenges you've beaten, Campaign completion badges, etc.
...or it mines your Halo 2/Halo 3 stats in some way to show your entire history as a Halo player?

GhaleonEB

Shake Appeal said:
...or it mines your Halo 2/Halo 3 stats in some way to show your entire history as a Halo player?
Not sure I want to see that in-game...I'd rather it be my legacy in Reach. B.net is for the other games. At any rate, I was thinking that stuff like the Campaign shields, Challenges and Arena ranking history don't fit into Commendations and Stats, so that could be the landing bed for them.

Since E3 is coming, will unmarked campaign spoilers be allowed in the Reach thread?

as I don't want anything to spoil Campaign for me at all... I can deal with multiplayer/forge & possibly firefight spoilers.

Top Bottom