• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuhei Yoshida blames Hello Games for No Man's Sky PR

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
Like, I know a lot of people agree with him, but, throwing devs under the bus is maybe not the best way to go about it?

well tbf yoshida trowed noone. Sean throwed himself and made absolutely sure that the bus definatly has no breaks.

orava

From what I know the game is Not a Sony IP and Not published by Sony? So nothing wrong with what he said

But they did treat it like their own games.

No Mans Sky has been treated as if it was from one of our internal studios,” he says. “We have been working very closely with the developers and bringing it into our release programme as if we had made it. We are not going to treat it any differently and we are going to put the full weight of PlayStation behind it. If it all comes together as well as expected, it will be treated like a first-party release; it is not a self-published small indie title on the platform.

– Fergal Gara, 2015

http://wccftech.com/mans-sky-sonys-full-support/

Do you really think Sony doesn't check how one of their exclusives is shaping? Just think about Rime shitstorm rumours.

Murray did bullshit, and Sony ride with it to get dem sales too.

Sony did't finance the game development directly, they can't do that.

phansen

Neo Member
Well, if you let people on your E3 stage and heavily promote a game as a PS4 game maybe you should talk with the developer about that stuff. Seems very careless for a huge player like Sony.

rackham

Banned
Poor Shu having to deal with idiots. Sony has nothing to do with PR for indie companies and almost never have. They help with marketing.

My only hope for this and Sean is that he went on making a big update that he'll deliver in a year or so, free for people that already bought it, new version for new owners. But I don't see that happening, sadly..

eFKac

What he said was true, but Sony published the title on the PS4, if they knew that some features are not present in the game, they should have held Sean on a tighter PR leash, cause they were also partially responsible for the message.

If they didn't know, then someone from Sony supervising the project fucked up.

Uh, I'm pretty confused to why people think the topic title is so bad. It is entirely representative of the content in the post.

The article even straight says he blamed him. If Shu wasn't casting blame here, than what was he doing?

Someone remind me again why this is a PS4 console exclusive? These post-launch threads make it seem like Sony had nothing to do with the game.

Alienous

But they did treat it like their own games.

No Mans Sky has been treated as if it was from one of our internal studios,” he says. “We have been working very closely with the developers and bringing it into our release programme as if we had made it. We are not going to treat it any differently and we are going to put the full weight of PlayStation behind it. If it all comes together as well as expected, it will be treated like a first-party release; it is not a self-published small indie title on the platform.

– Fergal Gara, 2015

http://wccftech.com/mans-sky-sonys-full-support/

C'mon now, Sony. Does Naughty Dog handle all their PR too? Did, perhaps, you realize that presenting the idea of No Man's Sky was more attractive than presenting the game, and just let Hello Games loose?

Kill3r7

What Sony can boost in their marketing is what Murray gives them. They're not developing or publishing the game so they have no internal access to it. If Sean gives them a trailer, they just air it and talk about it. They can't read his mind.

Again all true but when the trailers aired Sony's name was attached to them. I know its semantics but in business situations like this no good comes from finger pointing. You are not going to look any better by arguing that the fault was with one of your business partners, no matter what the relationship was or the level of oversight on your part.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Looks like some have their pitchforks out for Sony despite it not even being their game. I wonder if these same people aimed their pitchforks at Sega for Aliens Colonial Marines?

Gengahrrr

Anyone actual bother to read the article? Including the troll OP? Might want to add this into the OP:

Yoshida was bullish when asked if he thought the experience had harmed the PlayStation brand at all.

"I am super happy with the game actually, and I'm amazed with the sales the game has gotten, so I'm not the right person to judge if it has 'harmed' the PlayStation brand. I personally don't think so. If anything, I am proud that people can play No Man's Sky on PS4 as well as PC."

The actual statement to me reads more like he's making excuses/copping pleas for Sean. It's not his fault he's an indie dev not a pr guy. But I guess the hyperbolic thread title makes it easier to push that "Sony took another pr hit!" narrative.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Looking at the whole interview now...

Should probably add the other Shu quote:

"I am super happy with the game actually, and I'm amazed with the sales the game has gotten, so I'm not the right person to judge if it has 'harmed' the PlayStation brand. I personally don't think so. If anything, I am proud that people can play No Man's Sky on PS4 as well as PC."

This thread should probably be replaced with a completely different one, as that was just one line of what Yosp said, and he generally was positive and not accusatory at all

It sounds like "Now this is our deal. I help you get the game onto E3 stage and Colbert's show, but I am not going to assign you a PR person to help. You need to find one yourself. BTW, if you fuck up the marketing, it will be your fault."

Great message to all the developers who are currently under Sony support.

thefro

Sony's certainly responsible for a part of it as they were one of the main ones hyping the game up by featuring it.

What he said was true, but Sony published the title on the PS4, if they knew that some features are not present in the game, they should have held Sean on a tighter PR leash, cause they were also partially responsible for the message.

If they didn't know, then someone from Sony supervising the project fucked up.
Sony didn't publish anything. They distributed it.

Alienous

Looking at the whole interview now...

This thread should probably be replaced with a completely different one, as that was just one line of what Yosp said, and he generally was positive and not accusatory at all

He likes the game and he's blaming Hello Games for No Man's Sky's PR.

If you think Shu liking the game is thread-worthy go ahead and make that thread.

Elandyll

Banned
Shu is being a "Dick" in saying he understands that some players are disappointed in having heard of features that aren't in the game, and that he thinks it wasn't a great PR strategy to talk about said features?

Wa?

He isn't the one who has been chasing an outlet to voice that opinion, he was asked the question at TGS. What is he supposed to say? "I have no opinion on whether or not all discussed features are in the final product, and do not know anything about complaints from players. Oh, here is my PR person, talk to them."?

Even the most ardent NMS fan (I personally like the game a lot) knows a ton of discussed (though not necessarily "advertised") features are missing still, from meaningful factions to real planetary system model, to only mention these.

I don't think Yoshida said something wrong here but he definitely is blaming Murray for the PR blunders (and thus throwing him under the bus).

So you won't hear any complaints about the thread title from me, it's not inaccurate.

If Shu is talking about it, that means Scumbag Murray could be talking about it right now too. lol @ the people saying his silence was because of some NDA.

Exactly, Sean still hasn't said anything but he chooses not too. Sony shouldn't have to say anything, they weren't the publisher and for all we know Hello could have told Sony that they would handle the PR aspects.

Hello Games made their bed.

jayu26

The quotes are true, but Shu or someone at Sony could have reigned Sean in. But they let him keep talking.
Here is the question: At which point did Sony know that Sean was spewing lies? Did they know it at all? Did they know it and didn't do anything? Until we find out the answer to this question we can only blame them for being ignorant of what was going. Which still puts them in bad spot light.

Top of the page again! I swear I am doing that on purpose.

Top Bottom