• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ReCore |OT| Rock Your Core for a Prime Bot

jimboton

Is there a way to change the language without changing Windows region settings? There's probably none, but I thought I'd ask..

Sydle

Little help looking for a prismatic core in The Warren.
I already beat the boss and found everything else including stashes, health upgrade, and logs. I've been through this whole dungeon 3 times and feel like I must be walking by it.

So the Windows Store says that I need to update to the latest free windows update, despite being on the latest windows update.

Anyone else run into this issue, or know how to resolve this?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
So the Windows Store says that I need to update to the latest free windows update, despite being on the latest windows update.

Anyone else run into this issue, or know how to resolve this?

It's the Anniversary Update. I didn't get it in my updates as well, manually download it here. Note that this is a pretty big update to Win10, so it'll take a while to do it.

Bravoexo

Little help looking for a prismatic core in The Warren.
I already beat the boss and found everything else including stashes, health upgrade, and logs. I've been through this whole dungeon 3 times and feel like I must be walking by it.

Have you had Mack in the K-9 frame sniff around?

8bit

Knows the Score
Does anyone else keep falling through the fucking floor for no good reason? Thought it was something I was doing wrong at the beginning but its happening again at the first boss.

Can anyone help me find the corebits (to open doors) for the dungeons in the shifting sands? I've spent over an hour trying to find the 4th one for The Armory Flux and I've only been able to find one for the Forsaken Halls.

Zedox

38 cores. 65% completion. 15h 27min played.

The last session I just had was really fun. Taking a break for now. I think i'm gonna go ahead and start part of the Eden Tower next...or something. I need to level up everything.

LAA

Enjoying the game so far, has a lot of potential, hope MS continues it.
Sadly however...this was clearly not ready to launch now and I can see why some reviews were harsh on it.
Just so many bugs and issues which is sadly ruining the experience for me somewhat. Hope they will patch to fix these.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just found Duncan. Some people said there's a drop-off point where the game gets less enjoyable, but I sure haven't experienced that yet, on the contrary. I'm even seeking out the dungeons now, the hunger for cores is real.

At this point I don't see how this game got scores as low as 4... At the very least it's a competent action adventure, and if you're into these type of games it's just a joy to play. Maybe the technical issues are more prevalent on Xbox One, but on Win 10 it's pretty smooth with short loading times. Still have to review it and I'm leaning more towards a 8 tbh.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I've enjoyed exploring, but have found a dungeon or two that needs a power up I don't have for 100% completion. Is it worth just following the story path for a while, or will I miss out on some cool things if I avoid side quests for a while?

shanafan

I bought ReCore on my Xbox One digitally, and now I wish to download it on my Windows 10 PC.

In the Windows Store, the install button on ReCore is grayed out. I tried signing in and out, but the button is still grayed out.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Ah, I need the anniversary update of Windows 10.

I dont doubt some of the tech issues but between the pc and xbox one version, I've only had the loading issues on xbox and on pc a stuttering dark screen effect on dungeon loading when I walk into the entrance. Overall can't complain. Recore has this nice playground world that just invites exploration for more cores. It's downright addicting.

LAA

Just found Duncan. Some people said there's a drop-off point where the game gets less enjoyable, but I sure haven't experienced that yet, on the contrary. I'm even seeking out the dungeons now, the hunger for cores is real.

At this point I don't see how this game got scores as low as 4... At the very least it's a competent action adventure, and if you're into these type of games it's just a joy to play. Maybe the technical issues are more prevalent on Xbox One, but on Win 10 it's pretty smooth with short loading times. Still have to review it and I'm leaning more towards a 8 tbh.

I'm on W10 version and can't say it's perfect tbh. Frame rate wise is fine and loading times aren't so bad, but lots of graphical issues and functional issues, such as seams, clipping, short draw distances at times and the worst things I've had, leaving a room, coming back sometimes results in all the assets being gone so you're essentially stuck and forced to reload the game and at another point, fast travel map didn't have the cursor, again requiring another reload and spawning next to an electric ball constantly resulting in insta death.
I mean some graphical things I can ignore somewhat, but a lot of this I just can't and I have to say it is really impacting my enjoyment of the game. I just don't think the game was ready to launch in this state and needed more time. That said I am enjoying and and I see the potential in it, which just makes it more of a shame a new IP launched like this.

Stoze

I finished it. I found myself agreeing with a lot of the criticism, the Dtoid review especially, and honestly probably wouldn't score it very highly either. The game has wonderful core mechanics and occasional great level and world design, all of which is squandered by almost every other aspect of the game. It's like the game has two sides to it; one is a competent callback to action platformers of the early-mid 2000s, the other is a showcase of so much that can and has gone wrong with AA and AAA game design since then and back then. Aggressive hand holding, an overly big game world with unfilled and uninteresting expanses of terrain, collectibles and crafting materials devalued by the combat being completely trivial, a terrible upgrade system, bland writing, extensive content padding, copy and paste level design, poorly placed checkpoints, ugly HUD and a user unfriendly UI, very annoying bugs, bad final boss and ending, cut content that obtrusively sticks out, etc. Some of those things go hand in hand, but I could go on.

There's so much inconveniencing stuff in this game. I'm guessing a side effect of the rush job was that the developers didn't have enough time to take a step back and put themselves in the player's shoes and refine things. There's no button to restart a dungeon, no pause to retry or start from previous checkpoint or return to the beginning of the dungeon/level. To upgrade a core you have to hold down the A button and wait to put a single point in a stat. You can't turn off the HUD which includes a permanent objective box. You can't see which cores are in what bodies when you're choosing two bots to roll with. You can only choose between bots at fast travel stations (really? we couldn't do this in a menu when we're outside of combat?). You'll get control abruptly taken away from you in a story dungeon while the camera pans over to where you need to go next, even though it proceeds to put an objective marker there anyway.

I had a lot of fun during the first 5 hours or so, I even planned on getting all the prism cores initially so the "endgame" didn't seem off-putting. The game doesn't instantly and magically fall apart right after that, but it is when the problems I listed started really solidifying themselves to the point where they wore me out and I just wanted to beat the game asap. I still enjoyed the game overall enough to where I finished it and don't regret the purchase. That's due to the great movement mechanics and platforming, and even the combat which became repetitive but is not bad by any means. I certainly didn't enjoy it enough to overshadow its barrage of problems, but if this thread is anything to go by I'm guessing a lot of people will.

Teggy

Does anyone else keep falling through the fucking floor for no good reason? Thought it was something I was doing wrong at the beginning but its happening again at the first boss.

There is a spot if I recall that was to the right of the large door into the second area where I couldn't walk on the ground without falling through. I had to stick to the edges. It was a huge area so seemed very strange that it got through QA.

LegendX48

I've got one as a drop from a blue lvl 5 enemy near the Lonely Basin travel point.

This one to be precise:
recorecaayncsj1v.png

Managed to get a couple from a dungeon but may pay that spot a visit now, thanks.

8bit

Knows the Score
There is a spot if I recall that was to the right of the large door into the second area where I couldn't walk on the ground without falling through. I had to stick to the edges. It was a huge area so seemed very strange that it got through QA.

I'm hoping it's a weird not to be repeated bug, but I was trying to fight the spidery boss thing and fell way down and landed on a bit of rock that ended that fight. Not the best first impression, which is a shame as it seems very much the kind of game I've been missing for some time.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm on W10 version and can't say it's perfect tbh. Frame rate wise is fine and loading times aren't so bad, but lots of graphical issues and functional issues, such as seams, clipping, short draw distances at times and the worst things I've had, leaving a room, coming back sometimes results in all the assets being gone so you're essentially stuck and forced to reload the game and at another point, fast travel map didn't have the cursor, again requiring another reload and spawning next to an electric ball constantly resulting in insta death.
I mean some graphical things I can ignore somewhat, but a lot of this I just can't and I have to say it is really impacting my enjoyment of the game. I just don't think the game was ready to launch in this state and needed more time. That said I am enjoying and and I see the potential in it, which just makes it more of a shame a new IP launched like this.

I also encountered the fast travel map missing the cursor. Definitely an annoying bug, since it requires a restart basically. I do hope this game gets a few patches to fix some of this stuff. I also get flickering in fast travel screens sometimes, when you're changing areas.

Continue the story. :)

I thought I was continuing on the story path and I ended up in a dungeon that's all platforming. Got stuck for about 15 minutes and had to look it up on YouTube as I couldn't see a way out and
the dude just starts flying across the screen
, lol.

Im going to have to retrace my steps.....

Grisby

Anyway to get to the
shuttle
near
Kai's
place in the Cradle? Seems like it should be a big level/area. Can't seem to
fly
over there.

Zedox

Anyway to get to the
shuttle
near
Kai's
place in the Cradle? Seems like it should be a big level/area. Can't seem to
fly
over there.

e need T8-NK frame for that, theres another area in which we need it to go further. They better be giving it to us (free) along with the fixes.

Grazzt

Can anyone help me find the corebits (to open doors) for the dungeons in the shifting sands? I've spent over an hour trying to find the 4th one for The Armory Flux and I've only been able to find one for the Forsaken Halls.

I spent half an hour yesterday as well. It is on a rock to the east of the dungeon. A very high one, on top of it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I also encountered the fast travel map missing the cursor. Definitely an annoying bug, since it requires a restart basically. I do hope this game gets a few patches to fix some of this stuff. I also get flickering in fast travel screens sometimes, when you're changing areas.

Move the mouse for the fast travel issue. It's a bug when using a controller.

Sydle

36 prismatic cores and I haven't gone to the tower yet. I'm still enjoying the core mechanics and platforming so freaking much, but the bugs and a certain design decision (next paragraph) have made me doubt my original intention to 100% the game. Three times now geometry hasn't loaded for a necessary platform, requiring me to leave the area and come back to get it to work.

As for design decisions, I can't make any sense out of the need to return to the crawler to change out bots and frames. It would have been much more user friendly to allow the user to hold LB, pausing the action, and select from a wheel. The way it is now requires far too much backtracking if you don't have the right combo handy at a given moment and if it's far away from a fast travel point. I know you can instantly travel to the crawler at any time, but you can travel back to fast travel stations only and some of them are really far away from some of the optional dungeons and collectibles.

Additionally, the large barren areas are annoying. The least they could have done was add a hover board allowed outside, or maybe allow you to get on Duncan's back and move much faster and jump to greater heights.

e need T8-NK frame for that, theres another area in which we need it to go further. They better be giving it to us (free) along with the fixes.

Ack. I just spent like 30 minutes trying different places to fly from to get over there. I saw the collectibles strewn about so I figured it must be an active bonus area. Why not block it off with a big rock or something? WTH

I'm considering stopping my play through for now until I hear more about what they're planning to do with it. I'd love to see them fix all the bugs and add the other area and frame bot for free at the very least.

Up to58 prismatic cores and still enjoy most of the game. I have yet to fall through the map or have any game breaking glitches. My only major grievance is the equipment boxes in the overworld (not the chests with blueprints, the litte grey boxes). There are nearly 500 of these across the 3 major zones, yet we have NO tracker or map or ay way whatsoever to find these damn things other than roaming around the map for hours and hours!

There are around 250 of them in shifting sands and I've been stuck at 95% on the achievement tracker for HOURS. I have 25 hours in the game, and at least 6-7 of that has been spent just trying to find the last 1 or 2 boxes in each area. (Or the last 10-15 boxes that I'm still missing n shifting sands). This is a slap in the face, a kick in the crotch, to completionists. Seriously, fuck this.

Game is still a 7.0 or higher in my book, but the decision to shit on us with these hundreds of boxes and no decent way to find them is maddening.

Traversal dungeons were fun, although only one of them was truly challenging to get all three objectives in one go.

Okay finding the cellbots in the
shifting sands
is the most annoying shit ever. WHY ARE THEY SPREAD OUT ALL OVER THE GODDAMN MAP

Okay finding the cellbots in the
shifting sands
is the most annoying shit ever. WHY ARE THEY SPREAD OUT ALL OVER THE GODDAMN MAP

Agree 100%. We need a communtiy effort to post screenshots of the map screen where they are. I found all the red ones for that one dungeon. I'm missing one green bot in shifting sands and one red bot in the other zone for the iron plate or iron cell whatever it is dungeon. Those are my last two dungeons. ;(

I made a thread for it on TA, since screenshot collaboration would probably just get lost in the flood here.

You'll get to the part soon. I can see why reviewers were upset, but there's no world in which this game deserved a 4/10. It gets grindy once you hit that spot, but the mechanics and gameplay don't change. It's still tight. If you like collect a thons and exploring you'll be fine. I have to say that this might be the best 3D platforming I've played in a long time. The design around the platforming sections is absolutely great. Playing on Xbox one I notice some pop in, FPS dips, and a texture issue here or there, but it's by no means unplayable. The only irritating thing is the load times for me. And how well some stuff is hidden.

Hexer06

38 cores. 65% completion. 15h 27min played.

This is what confuses me about all the reviews. A lot of them said the game was around 7 or 8 hours. How in the world did they all manage that when the game makes you get a lot of the cores to proceed further. I think I already have 7+ hours with a little over 20 cores. I have a feeling a lot of ppl rushed as fast as possible just to get their reviews out, instead of taking their time and enjoying the game. I'm still baffled by anyone complaining about the movement, or saying it's "clunky" in this game. It's one of the best feeling platformers I've played since Ori and the Blind Forest (amazing game btw). Just hope the reviews don't deter ppl from getting it, or Microsoft from investing in a sequel. Just like Ryse, I think this game has great potential for a sequel.

This is what confuses me about all the reviews. A lot of them said the game was around 7 or 8 hours. How in the world did they all manage that when the game makes you get a lot of the cores to proceed further. I think I already have 7+ hours with a little over 20 cores. I have a feeling a lot of ppl rushed as fast as possible just to get their reviews out, instead of taking their time and enjoying the game. I'm still baffled by anyone complaining about the movement, or saying it's "clunky" in this game. It's one of the best feeling platformers I've played since Ori and the Blind Forest (amazing game btw). Just hope the reviews don't deter ppl from getting it, or Microsoft from investing in a sequel. Just like Ryse, I think this game has great potential for a sequel.

I'm wondering this as well. No way people are finishing this in 8 hours on a first go.

For those who also go to Giantbomb, are they overreacting to the shortcomings of this game? They're the only media outlet I really ever use, because I've watched them for so many years now, but I also know they have a tendency to blow things out of proportion. I was really looking forward to this game, and I haven't picked it up yet, because they made it sound like it has way too many shortcomings, especially in the later parts.

Grisby

Up to about 43 or so cores now.
So how's the framerate after launch patch on XB1? Seemed pretty garbage last time I saw footage before the games official release.
It's not the best, and there are some odd skips and stutters here and there. One optional part of a dungeon felt like I was moving through molasses. Only time the game has been like that for me though.

Rest of the time I've found it to be perfectly playable.

Ah. That's such a big area and there's no way to get over the quicksand.

Hexer06

Honest guess, most got to end in 6 to 7 hours, saw the grind, quite, called it a day, wrote review.

But that's the thing. How is it a "grind" just doing the different caves and stuff that you haven't even been to yet? I haven't gotten to the end of the game yet, obviously, but I haven't felt like I've had to "grind" for anything yet. I've been exploring like I would normally do in an open world like this, and completing those trial/speedrun caves (I guess that's the closest thing to "grinding" since I've had to retry them a few times?). Still plenty of places I've yet to visit. Maybe I still need to keep playing more to get to the "grind", but maybe I just like these types of games? lol

Yup. It's too bad they didn't complete the final dungeon. Some great platforming and battles in that part of the game.
Great to hear :D. I'm trying to finish this game by Friday next week, cuz Forza Horizon 3 is gonna take over my life lol.

I finally found the 4th one for Armory Flux on top of those yellow tower things by the fast travel point. Two in alcoves in the area under the arch and one in the area by the dungeon door.

But that's the thing. How is it a "grind" just doing the different caves and stuff that you haven't even been to yet? I haven't gotten to the end of the game yet, obviously, but I haven't felt like I've had to "grind" for anything yet. I've been exploring like I would normally do in an open world like this, and completing those trial/speedrun caves (I guess that's the closest thing to "grinding" since I've had to retry them a few times?). Still plenty of places I've yet to visit. Maybe I still need to keep playing more to get to the "grind", but maybe I just like these types of games? lol

Great to hear :D. I'm trying to finish this game by Friday next week, cuz Forza Horizon 3 is gonna take over my life lol.

No story progression I guess? Not sure. I don't think it's felt grindy at all.

Top Bottom