• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games - Putting digital games into your hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shizuka

When I asked on Twitter, they said that there will be at least two Vita LRG releases in October. One should be Volume, I have no idea what the other title could be.

Gameboy415

Super-excited for both Shantae games next month!! :D

Any word on when pre-orders are going to start for The Silver Case?
I've always wanted to check it out and it's awesome that LRG is doing a physical release. :)

Semoreh

Is it really though? Do they advertise this specifically?

They do advertise the fact they make physical games so that collectors can play them 10 to 20 years from now. It implies LRG games won't necessitate vital updates to run properly, because who knows in what shape psstore will be in one decade ?
Even if they accept updates, I hope they'll keep them at a minimum, and that the base game remains stable even without them.

When I receive it, I will try to play Shadow Complex offline to see if it's at least playable or not.

They do advertise the fact they make physical games so that collectors can play them 10 to 20 years from now. It implies LRG games won't necessitate vital updates to run properly, because who knows in what shape psstore will be in one decade ?
Even if they accept updates, I hope they'll keep them at a minimum, and that the base game remains stable even without them.

When I receive it, I will try to play Shadow Complex offline to see if it's at least playable or not.

Technically you can play these games even without updates now if you play exclusively offline. So, it's not really against what they are advertising. And they really have no power over publishers to stop them from updating a game after they have already went into production of the disc. It's a rather unreasonable criticism, to be honest, even if I understand where you're coming from.

Semoreh

Technically you can play these games even without updates now if you play exclusively offline. So, it's not really against what they are advertising. And they really have no power over publishers to stop them from updating a game after they have already went into production of the disc. It's a rather unreasonable criticism, to be honest, even if I understand where you're coming from.

I understand that, and I don't have a (big) problem with updates as long as the base game is not broken. Shadow Complex will probably be fine in that regard.

I'm just wary since Assassin's Creed Unity.

Intel_89

How much do they charge for international shippings? I'd like to get both Shantae but 50$ + shipping + the possibility of having to pay for customs might be a bit too much.

Semoreh

How much do they charge for international shippings? I'd like to get both Shantae but 50$ + shipping + the possibility of having to pay for customs might be a bit too much.

You'll pay 65$ for both Shantae + shipping. As for the customs, it depends of your country because LRG often prepays customs. I don't know if there's a list somewhere...

You'll pay 65$ for both Shantae + shipping. As for the customs, it depends of your country because LRG often prepays customs. I don't know if there's a list somewhere...

His profile says Portugal. Not entirely sure they are included in LRG's prepaid duty 'program'. But it seems to me they are doing it for all Euro countries now?

emb

Most games in my experience are fine without updates. There might be obscure, game breaking bugs in there some place (think I heard about this earlier in this very thread, with B&C), but the typical use of just doing a play through seems to usually be fine.

I know, anecdotal at best, and there are some notorious counter arguments. But I've had my PS4 and XBO offline (why bother connecting if I'm not going to pay for online? I'll only waste time downloading some update) for most of the gen and have had very few problems. Only game I really felt the need to patch was Bloodborne for loading times, but even then the game was plenty playable with no patch. NMS and Fallout 4, both of which are supposed to be pretty buggy, are mostly fine without patches (granted, I haven't finished either yet.)

Indie games might be more susceptible due to smaller QA budgets, but they probably have an edge in that the game scopes will be smaller. And LRG releases so far at least, have a nice advantage that some time passes before the physical release.

Semoreh

I know, anecdotal at best, and there are some notorious counter arguments. But I've had my PS4 and XBO offline (why bother connecting if I'm not going to pay for online? I'll only waste time downloading some update) for most of the gen and have had very few problems. Only game I really felt the need to patch was Bloodborne for loading times, but even then the game was plenty playable with no patch. NMS and Fallout 4, both of which are supposed to be pretty buggy, are mostly fine without patches (granted, I haven't finished either yet.)

I've read somewhere the GOTY edition of Bloodborne had the faster version on disc with no need of an update, so there's that.
NMS, well... AngryJoe did crash like 6 or 7 times. But don't you have to be online at all time anyway to play the game ?

Anyway, yes I was going a bit theoretical, updates are rarely critical. But that was an answer to Persona7 : I do think updates (or their absence thereof) is a part of the LRG deal somehow :)

*inserts the disc for Shadow Complex*
*download for an update starts immediately*

Sigh. I thought the point of archiving these was that any update would be included on the disc/cart?

I mean, the disc also came loose within the case, but I'm not going to blame anyone but Sony on that one -- like a third of my PS4 collection has arrived with the disc loose and the pattern's obvious, those cases are garbage. The updates do irk me a bit, though, but hopefully Shadow Complex will be the only one like that considering all LRG console releases come after their original digital debut.

Do you want to know what that patch addresses? Literally one bug and it's not a bug that would have been encountered by many people. Pre-patch, if a controller became disconnected on the main menu (and only the main menu), upon reconnection, the game would have a loss of control and would require a restart. The update isn't an earth shattering one and it's certainly something that won't make a difference in twenty years when the patch is no longer available to download.

Kyonashi

Will there be solid news on The Silver Case before end of September? Feels like we only really had a twitter announcement and it would be nice to see packshots/release info as well as it being included in the 'Upcoming Releases' section on the site.

When I asked on Twitter, they said that there will be at least two Vita LRG releases in October. One should be Volume, I have no idea what the other title could be.

Narcissu? They announced that for Vita, right? EDIT: Nope, that's 2017.

emb

I've read somewhere the GOTY edition of Bloodborne had the faster version on disc with no need of an update, so there's that.
NMS, well... AngryJoe did crash like 6 or 7 times. But don't you have to be online at all time anyway to play the game ?
Good to know on BB. With NMS, no online needed, not even for initial installation. They did a really great job catering to the offline experience actually, even the little discoveries can be 'uploaded' for currency while offline. The crashes are an issue, but prevalance seems to vary. I've only had it once, and a recent autosave had my back. They were still happening after the day 1 patch and I think after that next patch too. Be nice if they didn't happen, but it's just another instance where the unpatched version has issue but is far from unplayable. People like to exaggerate I think. I'd like to try some of the worse offenders (Assassin's Creed comes to mind) and see how bad unpatched games can get.

Anyway, yes I was going a bit theoretical, updates are rarely critical. But that was an answer to Persona7 : I do think updates (or their absence thereof) is a part of the LRG deal somehow :)
I do think that a certain level of completeness and bug-fixed-ness is implicit in 1) LRG's goal of having digital games on physical media for archive purposes, and in 2) the situation a physical version of the game releasing months after original release.

It's probably better though that patches are released if something is found. Of course it'd be better if there were no bugs, but it's a lofty goal. In the unfortunate situation where something is found after physical release, better to fix it than not.

Shizuka

According to LRG's Twitter:

Yes, 3 PS4 and 2 Vita for sure.

If two of the PS4 titles are Shantae, that leaves one PS4 and two Vita titles. Assuming that the third PS4 title is Volume, meaning it's getting a cross-platform release with the Vita, that leaves us with one Vita-exclusive for October.

LRG mentioned a Vita-exclusive a few months ago and I guessed Valhalla, but judging that the game is a ways off according to an interview with the developed from last week, I can't think of a Vita-exclusive that'd fit the script, other than the only teased Vita-exclusives in the past being the Atelier titles.

Decider

His profile says Portugal. Not entirely sure they are included in LRG's prepaid duty 'program'. But it seems to me they are doing it for all Euro countries now?
Which prepaid duty thing? I hope it isn't one of those eBay/Amazon schemes where tax is taken at the point of sale.

Which prepaid duty thing? I hope it isn't one of those eBay/Amazon schemes where tax is taken at the point of sale.

Tax is essentially included in the $15 you pay for international shipping. They've been doing that for a couple of releases now, without you noticing apparently. ;-) Started with some of the bigger Euro countries like Germany and France, then expanded the program.

According to LRG's Twitter:

If two of the PS4 titles are Shantae, that leaves one PS4 and two Vita titles. Assuming that the third PS4 title is Volume, meaning it's getting a cross-platform release with the Vita, that leaves us with one Vita-exclusive for October.

LRG mentioned a Vita-exclusive a few months ago and I guessed Valhalla, but judging that the game is a ways off according to an interview with the developed from last week, I can't think of a Vita-exclusive that'd fit the script, other than the only teased Vita-exclusives in the past being the Atelier titles.

Obviously Ray Gigant (it's not)

also my order says fulfilled but there is no tracking? First time ordering so not sure if Tracking is a thing LRG does.

saying sony gave the vita those 80 titles without mentioning how bad some of them are is definitely disingenuous

How so? Did I say that those titles were of remarkable quality? Many of them aren't bad however.

In either case, it's clear 'instant abandonment' isn't true. Why would they publish so many games on a system they had 'instantly abandoned'.

Look at the figures. Sony published more games than any other publisher onto their platform. Saying that they abandoned the system is no more true than saying that everyone else did. Saying that they 'instantly abandoned' the platform is either disingenuous or ignorant.

I think it's true to say that Sony didn't go 'all in' on the Vita, and reduced their support for the platform after it underperformed over the first year, but to say it was instantly abandoned is, as I say, hyperbole.

Either way, let's get back on topic. At least there are still some neat titles coming to Vita, and many of which supported with distributions from LRG.

Shizuka

Atelier, Attack on Titan, TxK or Severed. Those are my guesses for the Vita-exclusive in October, if it's not an upcoming release.

Tapejara

Atelier, Attack on Titan, TxK or Severed. Those are my guesses for the Vita-exclusive in October, if it's not an upcoming release.

Isn't Llamasoft no longer working on TxK due to the legal issues? I'd love to see it happen (and hopefully a patch to fix the two glitched trophies).

Koei-Tecmo games are the only one of those that've been teased, right?

My guesses are Murasaki Mist and Skylight Freerange 2.

(I'm joking, I have no idea)

test_account

XP-39C²
Are we really discussing the Vita's life and Sony support on a thread that only tangentially is related to it? Come on guys, you know better.
It wasnt really that much of a discussion because i think everyone agrees on what was being said. I just wanted to comment on saying that i dont think Sony dropped the Vita support instantly after it was released.

Hopefully Nuclear Throne
I hope not. The game is getting close to a year old on PS4 and Vita now, and they still havnt released a patch that fixes all the bugs. I still havnt been able to finish the game due to bugs crashing the game. I've gotten to the last boss three times, it has crashed every time. It has also crashed on levels close to the last boss as well.

Its a pity because i really like the game. If they had patched it, then i would love to have seen a physical release of it.

You will get an email with a tracking number.

We were testing some software and it for whatever reason auto-fulfilled all of our Vita only orders and sent everyone a message saying it's fulfilled without tracking.

But our actual shipping software will send you an email with your tracking.

All Vita only orders should be fulfilled today.

Decider

Tax is essentially included in the $15 you pay for international shipping. They've been doing that for a couple of releases now, without you noticing apparently. ;-) Started with some of the bigger Euro countries like Germany and France, then expanded the program.
International shipping from the US has been creeping ever higher for a long time now, so I thought that was just the shipping rate. Not terribly happy about VAT being included at the point of sale but I suppose it potentially avoids that nasty £8 handling fee that Royal Mail charge for... for whatever it is they do instead of delivering my stuff.

Ventara

Curious if any Canadians have got Rainbow Moon or Shadow Complex yet?

Still waiting for my copy of Rainbow Moon/Shadow Complex here in Toronto.

Yup, my copy of Rainbow Moon arrived at the beginning of last week (Tuesday I think). I'm in Winnipeg if that matters.

Yeah my Vita copy of Rainbow Moon arrived last Tuesday in Calgary. Didn't order Shadow Complex since I only care about the Vita games.

Surprised you two got yours so much earlier. I guess I can hopefully get mine this week.

You will get an email with a tracking number.

We were testing some software and it for whatever reason auto-fulfilled all of our Vita only orders and sent everyone a message saying it's fulfilled without tracking.

But our actual shipping software will send you an email with your tracking.

All Vita only orders should be fulfilled today.

Tracking number get! Thanks LRG

International shipping from the US has been creeping ever higher for a long time now, so I thought that was just the shipping rate. Not terribly happy about VAT being included at the point of sale but I suppose it potentially avoids that nasty £8 handling fee that Royal Mail charge for... for whatever it is they do instead of delivering my stuff.

They fill out a declaration form from your customs department for you.

I was being sarcastic.

Were you really? I had no idea. Like absolutely no idea. At all.

Their charge has always formed the bulk of customs charges I've paid on games over the years.

Yet they do deliver "a service" for you.
You're not obliged to let them do it. You could either fill out the forms yourself (good luck figuring out how, where to get the forms etc) or have another customs agent do it for you (good luck finding someone who charges you less for the same work). It's just something that needs to be done legally. Obviously, it sucks.

It varies, but they usually sell out quick. You want to be there right when they go up. I think the fastest something has sold out was 3-5 minutes. You'll definitely want to set an alarm a few minutes before. No dates have been announced (outside simply October), but they go up in two batches. One at 10 AM EST and one at 6 PM EST.

Thanks for letting me know. That sucks, I hate that stuff. I'll see if my fiance will do it for me since she tends to enjoy that kind of thing.

Decider

Yet they do deliver "a service" for you. You're not obliged to let them do it. You could either fill out the forms yourself (good luck figuring out how, where to get the forms etc) or have another customs agent do it for you (good luck finding someone who charges you less for the same work). It's just something that needs to be done legally. Obviously, it sucks.
It'd be inconvenient but you're not really given the option when you get the card through the door, are you? By that point RM have already done the work and are invoicing you.

Were you really? I had no idea. Like absolutely no idea. At all.
Come on, I'm being civil. There's no need for that.

Oops, top of the page. Thus ends my derailment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom