• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Q: 18 years in the making, made for the future of two gaming ecosystems

ManaByte

Gold Member
Triple H Reaction GIF by WWE

midnightAI

People just want better than a $300 streaming only device. The design of the thing really does look like they just slapped a dualsense on the ends of the thing.
What better controller for PS5 games than a dualsense? you can mock the design but for me I cant think of anything better if you want it as close to PS5 gaming as possible. And $300? where did you get that from?
Why not a Vita 2 that not only streams but is also a powerful kickass handheld that plays ps5 games?
A what now? 'native' PS5 games? on a handheld?

Last edited:
18 years, for an android mobile adjacent proprietary ecosystem, in a global market of 3 billion+ mobile users, dominated by an open and a closed ecosystem, but only this one...based in cloud computing?

I've heard of tinfoil hats. OP looks like a tinfoil seabed that's about to move the tectonic plates, in his dreams.

Donald Trump Lol GIF by Election 2020

Vox Machina

Banned
I think next gen we'll see all 3 console manufacturers have both a handheld (with compute) and a stationary console, with Xbox and Sony having thin-client handhelds on the cheaper end as well (for local streaming and cloud streaming).

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
If it's going through there might be something to it. Maybe it's not what we're expecting..

What are these responses? Project Q is happening and even though it's a half step towards true mobility for ps5 it's small progress.

Nowhere in the ops write up do they say it's gonna compete directly with switch or steam.

I get it. It's like ps TV which very few people bought. I have it and it was another half measure but I still liked it. It's either Q or a backbone for now. I don't get the negativity in this thread.

Trolling.

Belthazar

I'm sorry but, if this doesn't have the ability to play games straight from the cloud through PS+ then it's dead on arrival and honestly a waste of resources

GAF machine

U mean that shitty android tablet with controllers attached was 18 years in the making lol, Sony dump it and start working on the vita 2 plz.
People just want better than a $300 streaming only device. The design of the thing really does look like they just slapped a dualsense on the ends of the thing.

Why not a Vita 2 that not only streams but is also a powerful kickass handheld that plays ps5 games?

KXVXII9X

Maybe it is me not understanding this "revolutionary" tech, but it just seems like a watered down WiiU gamepad with less functionality. Even worse when the WiiU was released over a decade ago. This has to be more than just a streaming device. For people without a PS5, this thing will probably be $700+.

I feel like this is a joke and a major step back from the PSP and Vita which could also play games directly from the PS3 and PS4. As someone who doesn't have high speed internet, I dread this cloud streaming future.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
You can't beat latency, I mean physically.
Then there is picture IQ which was always a strong point for consoles. You can't do that ether.
And those two are mutually exclusive.
Waste another 30 years.

GAF machine

I'm curious why people think Sony wouldn't just announce the thing as a cloud device, and instead say it's for remote play?

In a business call Jim Ryan said: Unfortunately, today is not the place for me to disclose these plans, but we do have some fairly interesting and quite aggressive plans to accelerate our initiatives in the space of the cloud that will unfold over the course of the coming months.

That call was on the same day as the PS Showcase (May 24th).

The showcase was about games coming to PS5. Project Q plays PS5 games via Remote Play, so Ryan decided to announce the device at the event and share that detail.

Last edited:

JordiENP

Cringe Reaction GIF

I remember when I bought the PlayStation 3d display more than a decade ago, that was the last time Sony got me with their pointless PlayStation add ons.

Last edited:

Vox Machina

Banned
There's literally nothing stopping the Q from streaming from Datacenter-hosted PS5s other than a software update. Its just a thin-client screen with bare-minimum compute to run an OS an a controller strapped to it. All console manufacturers will have one of these by next gen. Xbox and Nintendo will probably (Nintendo definitely) go a step further and offer one with the compute built in to run low-intensity (indie/AA) games natively, and will cloud-stream the ones that cant run natively.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
There's literally nothing stopping the Q from streaming from Datacenter-hosted PS5s other than a software update. Its just a thin-client screen with bare-minimum compute to run an OS an a controller strapped to it. All console manufacturers will have one of these by next gen. Xbox and Nintendo will probably (Nintendo definitely) go a step further and offer one with the compute built in to run low-intensity (indie/AA) games natively, and will cloud-stream the ones that cant run natively.
No one said otherwise.

There's nothing stopping PS Now from having a mobile phone app, or a TV app (which they used to have both of). There's nothing stopping Sony from letting you use PS4 controllers to play PS5 games.

There's no doubt Sony might use Q as a cloud streaming device, but there's reasons to doubt they will also. They block things that are technically feasible all the time.

If Q is a highly profitable device, that would be a reason to let you cloud stream to it for sure.

My guess would be they'll market it as a remote play device for a while, until there are lots of PS5 games you can actually buy and stream. That's likely the end-goal, to have most publishers on board with that plan. At that point Project Q is just a way to have a cheaper console in the wild with the same profit model.

Last edited:

Aces High

I'd buy Project Q day one if it was able to play my PS4 games natively and just stream the PS5 games. This would be amazing since you automatically own the PS4 version if you buy a PS5 cross-gen game.

I wish we could get a true Vita 2. Handheld gaming is my favorite form of gaming. But a streaming-only handheld? I'm not convinced yet.

Top Bottom