• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Earbuds and Project Q Announced Announced - 8 inch screen remote device

Raonak

Banned
The fact it uses the actual playstation buttons / sticks is very nice. No small analogs or weird feeling buttons.

Making it feel like an actual dualsense is gonna go a long way.

I wonder if it can act as a controller when not in use?

Quantum253

The thing with device and why it may appeal to PS users might be why it appeals to me.
I don't game on PC and only have 1 TV in the house. I've been wanting to get a second monitor /or upgrade my work desk monitor and move the PS5 there. However, I would also like to play games while the wife is watching TV or play something in bed. I don't have a switch and there are games on the PS5 I'd like to play. I also don't want to use my phone and attach game pads to it (or blu tooth controllers ) in a weird jumble.

For me the upside:
Dedicated controller and screen that works great for PS ecosystem and has the functionality and feel of the PS5 Dual Sense controller.

Can game anytime I want on the handheld or big screen

Potential downsides concerns:
Cost ( I don't know if 200+ is worth being able to stream a game yet)
Screen type (ips. Oled, etc)
Resolution ( 1080 or 1440)
Battery life
Internal storage (can the streaming game be stored or strictly wi-fi connection to the PS5)

I'll have to wait and see when more info is out to make the final decision, but I can understand why they made it

Edit:
Seen the Verge article and the quote doesn't make it sound like it'll be worth the price unless it's 100-150

"More specifically, it’ll have an LCD screen running games at up to 1080p and 60fps over Wi-Fi, according to a Sony press release, and will feature both the adaptive triggers and haptic feedback of the DualSense. "

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2023/5/24/23736595/sony-project-q-playstation-handheld-official-showcase

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
So we're going back to the Wii U now? I thought we all agreed that idea didn't work and people wanted a real handheld.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Do people really use Remote Play as much to get Sony to develop a dedicated device like this?

I love Remote Play but it works much better within the house. I’ve tried it by streaming from other places but is not as good.
Remote play doesn't even work well for me in the house

Sony is now appealing to a walled ecosystem like Apple. If you didn't notice, they don't want you streaming on Mobile. Ps Now will probably take precedence on that machine including remote play for those who have a PS5 and most of you will eat it up in the name of convenience.
If only this were true, then they would go meet with their mobile division and bring back the Playstation phone:

mqdefault.jpg

Instead we keep getting enthusiast Xperia phones with outdated software.

Noxxera

Remote play doesn't even work well for me in the house
I remote play on my PC to my Xbox One X. Both connected to same router through ethernet cable. Works decent, its a bit latency as usual with remote play stuff, that can be a problem if you're playing multiplayer but singleplayer its acceptable. Only reason I'm playing remotely is cause a chip or something has stopped working on my Xbox so can't hook it up to a TV, it's just no signal. I can only get a signal in sub 720p if I boot it in safe mode. Doesnt seem I can fix it somehow either so remote play in 1080p it is for the forseeable future for me. But I play mostly on my PC and PS4Pro now because of that.

And the latency stuff is only acceptable with the Xbox if you use ethernet cable, it's too much latency and unstable connection through wi-fi for me.

DjMystix

8 inch screen size is ideal actually. I love my steam deck but can appreciate a bigger portable screen. The most baffling thing is that it only does remote play and cannot stream cloud games? Surely it can but the messaging seems to say remote play only.

Like I can't take it with me anywhere and stream games available on PS cloud? Massive missed opportunity if that is true.

Agent X

What they should have done was go full PSP2/PSVita 2. Have the console as a proper console with an OLED 1080p or 1440p screen and let us stream/remote play PS5 games.

I agree. If you could play anything from onboard storage without an online connection (be it PS4 games, PS Vita games, or even Android games), then this would be a much better device.

As a "streaming only" device, it is very limited, and not something I would want. It's not even so hot for streaming, since it can only stream games that you've previously downloaded to a PS5.

Sony has a streaming service in the form of PS Plus Premium, and this device isn't even capable of working with that? Now there's a blown opportunity.

do you have to keep your ps5 on to use that hedious gizmo ?
When I saw the trailer it said the PS5 needed to be on to use Project Q device. It's a waste of electricity, knowing you can just purchase Nintendo Switch (OLED) for a similar price.

Last edited:

LordCBH

I don’t think this thing (Q) will sell very well.

The earbuds look interesting, but it’ll depend what the price is.

Mr.Phoenix

That's the design they went with huh? A tablet that looks like it's in a controller grip...but then you have some sleek earbud design and case right next to it...man....

Which begs the question, couldn't they have just sold us a grip and launched an app for streaming on android and IOS, or is the dedicated hardware in this that good?

I look forward to the Digital Foundry video, and that screen doesn't look like an OLED...
like I was saying before this thing was unveiled... think f this as nothing more than a controller. like your Duasense edge... this is more like a dual-sense play. A controller with a built-in screen.
And I expect it will be priced for about the same price as a dual sense edge.

Its as niche a product as the dual sense edge.

Mr.Phoenix

When I saw the trailer it said the PS5 needed to be on to use Project Q device. It's a waste of electricity, knowing you can just purchase Nintendo Switch (OLED) for a similar price.
No. This is a remote pay device. So what is running your game is the PS5. And no. Its nothing like a switch. This is basically you carrying your PS5aong with you. As long s you have an internet connection.

And it will cost less than a switch. This is like strapping a $50 tablet to a controller.

bender

What time is it?
PQ is interesting but I'm guessing it will be far too expensive for me to want to give it a shot.

No. This is a remote pay device. So what is running your game is the PS5. And no. Its nothing like a switch. This is basically you carrying your PS5aong with you. As long s you have an internet connection.

And it will cost less than a switch. This is like strapping a $50 tablet to a controller.
True. Sony missed an huge opportunity to make this as a Streaming device for their ecosystem. I'll probably get the earbuds though, I still don't get why make this as a remote play only device? Expecially, when you have major companies competing in this Market on Android and PC.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Do you have a PS4 still? You can remote play PS5 from it. It's what I use from other rooms.

Exactly, I'm not sure who they are aiming this at when a phone and attachment is far more portable and versatile. Maybe the big screen and split controller has godly battery life? otherwise what's the point of this chunky frankenstein looking device?
Not everyone wants to drain their phone playing games.

Mr.Phoenix

True. Sony missed an huge opportunity to make this as a Streaming device for their ecosystem. I'll probably get the earbuds though, I still don't get why make this as a remote play only device? Expecially, when you have major companies competing in this Market on Android and PC.
The thing is, if this can work as a remote pay device, then it can work as a streaming device It's the exact same thing. Your console at home is either the server or a sony owned server somewhere else. It's just a case of if they choose to go n that direction.

And I can totally see why they do this. They are basically making a device that does just two things. Remote play or can be used as a normal PS5 controller. So now you have a choice, buy a dual sense edge, or buy this. One gives you a pro controller, one gives you a controller that allows you to stream your games even when you are away from your house.

I can see this being paired to the console, no apps to install, no other apps that will be running on the side... it's just going to be a secondary screen for the console.

I think the sooner people start joking at it like that the better. Its just a controller with a screen that allows you to use your console remotely.

Noxxera

Hack it > Install custom linux firmware > Moonlight streaming from PC.
Awful effort for that, cant it simply be done on your phone? There's accessories you can strap your phone to a controller and play streaming that way. Source: I have accessory for my phone and Xbox controller for exactly same purpose as this device.

Banned
wait a fucking second... how will the Touchpad inputs in games work? 🤔
like... some games use right and left touchpad as separate buttons, some use it for gestures, some even as a cursor.

and it has a click button... so some games will react to touches and presses differently.

how did they solve that without making some games play weirdly?

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Edit:
Seen the Verge article and the quote doesn't make it sound like it'll be worth the price unless it's 100-150

I can't imagine it would be less expensive than Sony's Pro Controller but that price range would probably get me to bite.

yurinka

The device seems a good idea. Let's hope it has an oled screen.

I think won't be the case, but would be cool that in addition to using Remote Play, the device would be able use the PS+ cloud gaming directly to the server, without requiring to have a PS5.

Quantum253

8 inch screen size is ideal actually. I love my steam deck but can appreciate a bigger portable screen. The most baffling thing is that it only does remote play and cannot stream cloud games? Surely it can but the messaging seems to say remote play only.

Like I can't take it with me anywhere and stream games available on PS cloud? Massive missed opportunity if that is true.
Do you think the capability is there, but the selling point is streaming over Wi-Fi until a later patch allows cloud? I would like a full tech rundown on this thing. I imagine Digital Foundry and other tech sites will be getting this thing in the next few months

Quantum253

I can't imagine it would be less expensive than Sony's Pro Controller but that price range would probably get me to bite.
You know, I completely forgot about that thing. Just looked it up and at $199.99, this streaming device will probably be $199-$249.99

Agent X

If it operates like other current Remote Play methods, you should be able to leave the PS5 in "sleep" mode. It would then power on automatically when you make the Remote Play connection. When you're done with your session, the console can return to "sleep" mode.

Also, they haven't announced the price yet.

Yes, I agree here. It's puzzling why they would limit this to only streaming from the PS5. If it could stream from PS Plus Premium (and possibly other game or video services), then it would be significantly more useful.

The thing is, if this can work as a remote pay device, then it can work as a streaming device It's the exact same thing. Your console at home is either the server or a sony owned server somewhere else. It's just a case of if they choose to go n that direction.

If they want this to have widespread appeal, then they'll need to widen the range of streaming services that this can operate with.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Awful effort for that, cant it simply be done on your phone? There's accessories you can strap your phone to a controller and play streaming that way. Source: I have accessory for my phone and Xbox controller for exactly same purpose as this device.
I 100% agree its a lot of effort but there is really no (cheap) alternative if you want your phone free and want to play games on a handheld at the same time. Assuming this will be a reasonable price....

Astray

Gold Member
This comes across as a very dumb idea, it should have been a cloud device that allows you to stream games you own or are subscribed to.

Massive missed opportunity in almost every way shape or form, and on a night that's full of them.

Noxxera

This comes across as a very dumb idea, it should have been a cloud device that allows you to stream games you own or are subscribed to.

Massive missed opportunity in almost every way shape or form, and on a night that's full of them.
It's just sony being sony, greedy. Nothing surprising.

Astray

Gold Member
It's just sony being sony, greedy. Nothing surprising.
Even making good things involves some greed.

This is just plain contradictory, why make a portable device whose only use case is at home?

The earbuds are fine tho, that's just pure peripheral profit for them.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'd rather a real handheld but if they deliver a 8" oled screen with full controls at a great price, I would still bite.

supernova8

Banned
How is this any different from using my phone to stream PS5 games, and then using a mount for my PS5 controller?
They said they will release more details "in the coming months" but I feel the same, why bother revealing it at all now if you're just going to give people the exact impression you just put into words?

Plus, if Xiaomi could put out an entire (surprisingly powerful) smartphone with an AMOLED 120hz screen like 2 or 3 years ago (Redmi Note 10 Pro) for about $250-$300, Sony could put an OLED 120hz screen on this, sell it for $199 and still make a healthy profit (presuming there's basically no real powerful hardware inside, it's just streaming, right?), but I bet it'll cost way more and nobody will buy it.

Last edited:
That controller better be cheap. If it’s not priced right the shit will be dead on arrival. Also can’t you do remote play on a steam deck anyway?
Yep but the screen sucks especially compared to switch oled. If this thing has an oled screen at 1080 p then its getting bought.

Top Bottom