• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sooo, What's The Point Of Sony's Project Q?

Saiyan-Rox

I'd rather use this thing as a controller for the ps5

Have your inventory screen on there so you don't need to pause the game to switch items, place the HUD from the game on the screen such as health etc make it look cleaner on the big screen.

As a streaming device? No thanks

I know a couple of people that have a PS5 but let their wives watch TV on the main screen. They plan on buying these to play whilst they do so, they already have laptops same phones but seemingly happy to pay for a dedicated device.

Remember this is additive, it's not stopping anyone enjoy what they have already any less. If you don't see the value in it, then just ignore it.
That's the exact reason why I would buy one.

We all know Sony can be innovative, but lately Sony feels so reactionary. They are seeing things do good for others and want in that success, rather than creating a new success for themselves.

Unknown?

I91ZaoC.gif

So you just woke up and felt like being a contrarian today.

It's cool, I have those days too.
Nah, it's clear you're not the target nor will accept the reasons of others who might be interested. I don't think it'll be huge but far from DOA.

Last edited:
I'd rather use this thing as a controller for the ps5

Have your inventory screen on there so you don't need to pause the game to switch items, place the HUD from the game on the screen such as health etc make it look cleaner on the big screen.

As a streaming device? No thanks

I'll take both options.

Cornbread78

I will 100% pre-order & play the shit outta this..... if it doesn't turn on my PS5 and make it beep so my wife hears it...

I can remote into my SerX with a razor controller on my Note 10 in complete silence & it's amazing......

Roxkis_ii

Nah, it's clear you're not the target nor will accept the reasons of others who might be interested. I don't think it'll be huge but far from DOA.

You can't even tell me who the target is. Are you on the team that helped develop this product? You seem to be huffing hopium and I can't figure out why.

RCU005

The only thing I can think of is that this is a gateway to our sponsors… I mean cloud gaming. Maybe they will begin to allow PS Plus to stream games via the cloud. You already stream PS3 games.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
People seem to be missing a couple of key things when they keep saying " LOL just connect the DS to a phone/tablet , this thing is useless" :

- Phone clips that attach to the joypad are the most unergonomic thing in the world , have people actually tried it ? It leads to hand/wrist strain due to the fact that you have a phone attached/clipped at a weird angle - a phone which weighs 200+ grams minimum.

- For Android devices, even on A13, the Dualsense button mapping is STILL all wrong/messed up : O is X, Δ is [ ], pressing bumper buttons actually moves the camera in some games, touchpad is not recognized etc etc, it's literally unplayable right now.
This was supposed to be fixed on A12 but, many months later is still fucked up and we have Google to blame since it only works properly on a small percentage of Android devices out there.(PSPlay app dev actually stated the reason).
Sure, you can use a DS4 but then you're missing touchpad and haptic functionality.

- Even if the Dualsense worked properly, you have to sync it every time to your phone/tablet and then RE-sync it to your PS5 - something which you can only do by using the provided USB C cable each and every time which is a friggin' hassle.
Sure, you could use an OTG cable but then you have another cable hanging there.

- Backbone/Razer Kishi :
Good luck taking off your phone's case everytime you want to connect your phone (also depends on the phone's size), plus, this shit goes for 100+ eurodollars...100 for some pieces of plastic put together...

- Apple devices : Remote play works fine and the Dualsense gets recognized properly with no wrong/messed up button config and haptics also work but...how many people have an Apple tablet (that's another 500-1000+ eurodollars) or are willing to spend that amount of money ?
Plus, you're still connecting your Dualsense through BT which adds even more lag.

- Phone battery drain : Not everyone likes to recharge their phone 3 times a day.

So, in the end, Remote play is not as "plug and play" as many people think , this is where the Lite Q would come into play, a device with a built-in controller that works hassle-free for those that actually want to use remote.play while.lying in bed/taking a break smoking a cig on their balcony/sitting on the shitter etc etc.

No sync'ing and re-sync'ing joypads/no cables hanging (OTG)/No messing around with wrong button configs/no phone battery drain/Big 8-inch screen, everything will be just plug and play (for those with a good home network) with "convenience" being the operative word.

If this thing costs 200 max it will be a nice commodity to have , I mean, Apple sells their newest gadget at 3500 Eurodollars and people moan about a 200+/- streaming device ?

Cheers

Unknown?

You can't even tell me who the target is. Are you on the team that helped develop this product? You seem to be huffing hopium and I can't figure out why.
I don't see how you came to that conclusion, I said I don't think it'll be some big phenomenon. I just said I don't think it'll be DOA.

Roxkis_ii

I don't see how you came to that conclusion, I said I don't think it'll be some big phenomenon. I just said I don't think it'll be DOA.
Okay, so you don't think project q will be DOA, but can't explain why. Just that someone may like it.....

Bro, I hope you don't work in sales.

Dr_Ifto

Im going to get this device. Im always in situations where I cant use the gaming tv but want to game. I have the backbone, but with some games the screen is too small. This would greatly increase my gaming capabilities. The battery life doesnt hinder me at all, as I can use it plugged in when I need to.

I feel that Sony has metrics around remote play usage and see a market opportunity. I do not think they would go into this otherwise. Look at the switch. Its used a lot in handheld mode in the home. Thats where they are going.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Nintendo made their handheld into a makeshift console.

Sony is making their console into a makeshift handheld.

I guess they knew that most switch and steam deck owners play in their home. So why not just make a premium feeling streaming tablet/controller that makes you feel like you're playing a handheld.

Probably won't succeed, but I'd buy it.

PaintTinJr

Okay, so you don't think project q will be DOA, but can't explain why. Just that someone may like it.....

Bro, I hope you don't work in sales.
It will sell well to all those people like me that have realised that "gaming caves" - when you have a family - are a fallacy.

You can either use them and alienate your family, share it and it just becomes a kids' second lounge with the problems of the first lounge transposed, or it just becomes a room with lots of great kit you never use because when you can use it, the lounge is free also.

The WiiU tablet controller for offscreen play was a win for some of us, because it enabled us to play in the lounge in the company of family without having to commandeer TVs/audio/consoles for hours and hours that other could or would use. I've tried using my phone or PC for remoteplay with Death Stranding and Ghosts of Tsushima in recent years and it just isn't practical as Giallo Corsa Giallo Corsa explained above.

In Japan, where home consoles are in heavy decline I suspect if Sony decide to pack-in this controller for a new PS5 slim model around $550 price it will likely do well and massively increase home console sales in Japan, giving it a good opportunity to do well across the world.

Roxkis_ii

It will sell well to all those people like me that have realised that "gaming caves" - when you have a family - are a fallacy.

You can either use them and alienate your family, share it and it just becomes a kids' second lounge with the problems of the first lounge transposed, or it just becomes a room with lots of great kit you never use because when you can use it, the lounge is free also.

The WiiU tablet controller for offscreen play was a win for some of us, because it enabled us to play in the lounge in the company of family without having to commandeer TVs/audio/consoles for hours and hours that other could or would use. I've tried using my phone or PC for remoteplay with Death Stranding and Ghosts of Tsushima in recent years and it just isn't practical as Giallo Corsa Giallo Corsa explained above.

In Japan, where home consoles are in heavy decline I suspect if Sony decide to pack-in this controller for a new PS5 slim model around $550 price it will likely do well and massively increase home console sales in Japan, giving it a good opportunity to do well across the world.
Reading yours and Giallo's post, I can see the use case. Not sure I could justify this purchase instead than just buying a backbone attachment for a cell phone (taking off a phone case to save $100 seems worth it to me) but different strokes for different folks.

I've upgraded my assessment from DOA to niche.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Same reason as why people spend money on 100$ steak.

Pointless device with no practical benefits.
They could have used those resources making a switch like PS.

NO THEY COULDN'T!!! LOL! What is wrong with some of you guys? Do you think Nintendo is broke? Or dumb?

Top Bottom