• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation readies PS5 game streaming

X-Wing

"Players will only be able to stream these games to PS5 consoles for now, reveals Nick Maguire, who is the company's vice president and global head of subscriptions."
Well, Project Q suddenly becomes even more interesting, I can't imagine a scenario where they wouldn't extend this to the handheld. :messenger_smiling:

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
Makes sense, Sony has invested in game streaming for a long time now, I don't see that changing anytime soon. It is obvious there will be a market for that type of service in places with good internet infrastructure.

Maguire highlights some standout titles in the service, including Dead By Daylight, The Legend of Dragoon, Rainbow Six: Siege and, of course, the indie game Stray, which launched day and date in the service in July.
I'm leaving this topic as a happy man.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Yes, via de Cloud. It will start on PlayStation 5 only, but would be illogical to not have this streaming to the Q.
Hmmm, might be a good segue way to the PS5 Pro me. I'm trying to be smart about when I get PS5. So if I get this and can buy games from it or through my PC...then get the PS5 Pro when it comes out. That would be kinda best of both worlds for me. Obviously curious about the latency of the Q but we'll see.

JaksGhost

First off, we have very exciting news for PlayStation Plus Premium members. We’re currently testing cloud streaming for supported PS5 games – this includes PS5 titles from the PlayStation Plus Game Catalog and Game Trials, as well as supported digital PS5 titles that players own. When this feature launches, cloud game streaming for supported PS5 titles will be available for use directly on your PS5 console. That means as a Premium member, it’ll be easier to jump into your favorite games without downloading them first onto your PS5 console. Our goal is to add this as an additional benefit to PlayStation Plus Premium as part of our ongoing efforts to enhance the value of PlayStation Plus.

That's from the PlayStation blog post regarding streaming.

X-Wing

So what are they gonna do with their PS3 server blades? Sooner or later they’re going to have to replace them right?

How unrealistic is it to think that they are working on a proper PS3 emulator for PS5?

I don't think you should hold your breath for that.

So what are they gonna do with their PS3 server blades? Sooner or later they’re going to have to replace them right?

How unrealistic is it to think that they are working on a proper PS3 emulator for PS5?
It's not unrealistic at all.
But considering the lack of even native PS2 games on PS Plus Premium....who knows?

StueyDuck

It's a game streaming tablet, all you need is an App.

Freaking PSP had wifi and could stream games from PS3 that was almost 20 years go.
I mean this is all true.

But it's also Sony. They are famous for overcomplicating everything. Only topped by Nintendo

X-Wing

On another note they seem to be very happy with the results of the PlayStation Plus revamp. They had a good strategy and is playing out. Not releasing games there day one is also working out for them. Let's just hope that this does not result in sales drop at launch because people will rather wait 18 months or more to get the game for Plus.

Tripolygon

Banned
Will likely use AWS or some kind of hybrid stuff with code developed specifically by Sony.

AWS is great we can easily scale according to our needs.
They are using actual custom PS5 server hardware just like PS4 and PS3 streaming so not AWS.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Will likely use AWS or some kind of hybrid stuff with code developed specifically by Sony.

AWS is great we can easily scale according to our needs.
It will probably use whatever Sony is using to stream PS3 and PS4 games to PS5.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

For the PS5 Pro, I can see that.

I thought Sony uses Azure?
They use AWS and Openstack (the Rackspace/NASA joint venture). I don't think Azure has gone into production yet, or maybe it has for the PS5 blades.

Last edited:

reksveks

The slight stupidity of keeping ps5 streaming limited to a console aside, the nice thing is that they are enabling streaming for games that you own.

Had anyone seen a list of those games?

leo-j

If they made project Q a ps plus streaming machine it would catch some fire….. needs 5G option tho to seperate it from the crowd.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Very cool. Later than expected, but still cool to have this option. I hope it will make its way to phones sooner than later.

Ar¢tos

The slight stupidity of keeping ps5 streaming limited to a console aside, the nice thing is that they are enabling streaming for games that you own.

You were expecting a worldwide release for everything with a screen?

Things have to start somewhere...

Now I see a market for Q if streaming through the Cloud as its selling point. Let us see what Sony unveils about it, otherwise, it is fated to be another paperweight just like the Vita ended up as after Sony dropped their support.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Why is this a nice thing? Isn't that what every one else does too?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't believe Sony has done that until now for their streaming service. Well, I guess they technically have via remote-play, but that is using your console and home network and how far away you are from it (latency wise).

nial

Gold Member
The service will include PS5 titles from the PlayStation Plus Game Catalog and Game Trials, as well as 'supported' digital PS5 games that players already own.
Quite unexpected, I actually see Project Q working with cloud streaming now. And that would make it count as a handheld console, rather than just an accessory.

JaksGhost

They have remote play but they are going to enable the streaming of games that may not be stored locally on your console. This is essentially going to help those that may not want to buy more storage. If the game is supported you should be able to just boot it up through the cloud instead. It's what Microsoft has been talking about implementing but I have no idea where they are at with that.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yes, seeing starfield it makes me feel dirty playing it on gamepass. I rather lapse my sub and buy the game outright in september.
Sounds like a more expensive way to play a forever game in the long run versus a one time fee.

I'm personally buying it on Steam.

Make it work on the Q without a PS5, and they might actually sell a few of them. Hell I might buy one, and sub for a month at a time when something catches my fancy.

Of course that only works if the Q is $200 or less, if it's more than that I'll just continue to wait out the pawn shops for a $200 PS5.

I should be able to plug in a controller and stream my library, access my PSN account, etc. on any device with an internet connection. That's the whole point of owning a digital collection imo.

Need to get that battery life sorted. If only screen and streaming, there's no way they can have the device last only as long as a steam deck.

I'll wait for the details before judging though

Top Bottom