• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sooo, What's The Point Of Sony's Project Q?

Holammer

I'm guessing Sony studied user behaviour of Switch & maybe even Steam Deck owners and figured out a majority used the device in their own home.
So why not make a cheap WiiU like controller?

Thirty7ven

Banned
For people with families or in a situation where you share the TV.

The Switch is actually pretty big with that type of audience, I personally don’t know anybody who plays switch on TV and outside the house so.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

The Switch is actually pretty big with that type of audience, I personally don’t know anybody who plays switch on TV and outside the house so.

This, general convenience. That said, op is right, Sony should have just launched a proper handheld.

Thirty7ven

Banned
This, general convenience. That said, op is right, Sony should have just launched a proper handheld.

Heh a proper handheld would basically be a PS4 port machine at best.

PS5 Wi Fi 6 compatibility might help with this option for those who have it.

To make money. People want Sony to spend money into a real(C) handheld risking it failing with no upside, when they can make millions just selling 2 or 3m of these Project Q's.

Sony intends for this to be a companion device and I think it'll work given how fast the PS5 install base is growing.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I know a couple of people that have a PS5 but let their wives watch TV on the main screen. They plan on buying these to play whilst they do so, they already have laptops same phones but seemingly happy to pay for a dedicated device.

Remember this is additive, it's not stopping anyone enjoy what they have already any less. If you don't see the value in it, then just ignore it.

xrnzaaas

The funniest thing is that they're building the device based on a Dualsense controller which is known to have poor build quality and drifting analogues. A much better way for playing like that is to have the screen (like a smartphone or a tablet) and a controller separate so you can switch to different ones.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Heh a proper handheld would basically be a PS4 port machine at best.

PS5 Wi Fi 6 compatibility might help with this option for those who have it.

No reason to think that, steam deck and ally are playing current gen games at a lower resolution. We would 100% see ps5 ports first party and 3rd Party.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
It's a device that has an extremely, extremely, tiny, niche, appeal.

You'd have to be a customer that A.) Already has a PS5, B.) wants to play PS5 games, and ONLY PS5 games in a handheld form factor C.) has no interest in playing locally rendered versions of their PS5 games ala Steam Deck or ASUS ROG Ally D.) has no interest in playing games from game streaming services other than Playstation (Xbox Remote Play, xCloud, nVidia GeForce Now, Steam Link, Moonlight, Luna, etc..), E.) finds controller accessories for phones and tablets unappealing for their Remote Play needs, F.) were not interested in other very capable cloud gaming devices like the Logitech G Cloud or Abxylute handheld for some reason, E.) have no interest in using the device for anything other than PS5 Remote Play (no interest in installing other apps, using it for locally rendered emulation of classic games, using it for playing Android games, etc.. etc..) and F.) are willing to pay a lot of money for a very, very limited device.

Literally the only thing I can think that sets this apart in any way is that it will presumably have full Dualsense force feedback/haptics.

I don't think I've ever seen a piece of hardware that has made me ask "who the hell is this for?" quite like Project Q has.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

It's an easy product to make. Sony already has PS5 remote play working on phones and other devices.They already have a dual sense controller. They already have experience with cheap tablets. Put it all together, fart it onto the market with a $50 gross profit and sell a million.

TYRiAX

I frequently use remoteplay when the tv is in use, but as great as the Backbone is I do find the phone screen too small and if I need to use my phone for anything else the session breaks and I've got to reconnect to the remoteplay session which gets annoying real quick.

So yeah while I understand the Q will not be appealing to a lot of people I feel like it is designed exactly for me :)

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I frequently use remoteplay when the tv is in use, but as great as the Backbone is I do find the phone screen too small and if I need to use my phone for anything else the session breaks and I've got to reconnect to the remoteplay session which gets annoying real quick.

So yeah while I understand the Q will not be appealing to a lot of people I feel like it is designed exactly for me :)

But devices like the Logitech G Cloud has been out for nearly a year already. Or the Abxylute handheld or others.

Those devices offer exactly what Project Q aims to offer (and much more).

TLZ

Banned
The problem is you're looking at it as a portable. Look at it as an accessory. Look at it as a controller that has a screen slapped on it. It's just an extra controller with a gimmick.

And when it comes out, or closer to release, we'll find out if it has an advantage in streaming technology over other currently available means.

Boss Man

I think it makes perfect sense. Remote play works well, and it’s just a cheap dedicated remote play device.

I’m fine with it just being a tablet with controller attached, but I do wish it didn’t look exactly like it.

Last edited:

Fbh

The point is remote play.
Play while in bed, or taking a shit, or on the terrace or if someone else is using the TV, or grind your daily missions as you watch a Baseball game, etc.
Portable systems aren't exclusively used when outside your house.

And yes I know you can use your phone but some people dont want to because maybe they use the phone for something else on the side, or they don't want to get interrupted by notifications, or they don't want to have to suspend the game whenever they want to check something on their phone.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Funny thing is I bought my niece and nephew a Switch years ago. At the beginning, they liked playing on the TV. Of course when family comes over it's party time playing Mario Party etc...

But since then as the kids got older, they just play as loners on handheld mode. No MP on TV, no coop, nada.

And I've hardly seen anyone play Switch in public. I saw way more kids play DS with mom and dad in grocery stores than with Switch. All those early trailers of college kids and 20-30 year olds playing Switch on a picnic table as a foursome staring at a tiny screen I've never seen once in public. Many families I know have a Switch. Not once have I ever seen an adult say "Hey, when I come over I'll bring my Switch over so we can all play NBA2k with 4 joycons"

Last edited:

Rykan

This is precisely it, and I don't understand why there is so much confusion about this device.

Not everyone has their system hooked up to a separate TV that they can use whenever they like. It's not supposed to be the next PSP, though I would be rather surprised if it doesn't get cloud streaming at some point.

FrankWza

3 months since launch, we don't have any announced upcoming 1st party game for the PSVR2 except for probably Firewall Ultra.

1 year is pretty generous.
tonight show today i learned GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Gamerguy84

To sell units to people like me who actually would like remote play around the home and to aggravate everyone else.

Mahavastu

Sony promises since years to improve their cloud streaming. This device should be able to also stream from the cloud and is a potential client device.
It is also for those who want to play but the TV is for some reason not a perfect solution at the moment, for example because it is used by someone else or it is in a different room.

They think there is a market for people that want to play but have to share a TV.
I feel like this is a non-issue because you could literally buy a television cheaper than this product.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't know of anyone who has a problem sharing a television. Even the poorest people I know have multiple TVs.

dotnotbot

It's part of their new gaming accessory effort, just like the overpriced PC monitors or Dualsense Edge. They aren't supposed to be anything extraordinary, just some gaming stuff sold with a high markup. Don't read too much into it.

Last edited:

Elios83

They probably see it just like an accessory for those who want to play without occupying the TV or if they want to stay on a couch or in another room.
Could also be feasible to use it if you have wifi access while you're not at home.

It's a minor market though, I don't think they're expecting big numbers. They're probably doing R&D with cloud and remote playing and they see this project as a way to do an actual market test while getting money in return.

Last edited:

Banned
it's for fans of input lag
🤣🤣🤣

but seriously, if they don't vastly improve the remote play quality before this thing releases, it will be even dumber of a device than it already is.

What was the point of the WiiU controller?

It's the same point.

Don't like it? The good news is you don't have to buy it.

except that the Wii U had very low input lag, while Sony's remote play is known for massive amounts of lag.
Stadia and GeForce Now had/have less input lag than Sony's remote play...

Last edited:

bosnianpie

I don't know who the target audience is for this thing. Most of us have limited time to play and I guess you would rather spend it comfortably in front of your TV than having the neck bent somewhere outside? Do you really need a PS5 everywhere?

Waste of resources and it's also really ugly.

midnightAI

It's one more accessory to push.

I think it will flop tbh.
The cool thing is with this peripheral is that it can flop, and I can still enjoy it without fear of it not working in the future (unless Sony abandon remote play completely)

Unknown?

it's for fans of input lag
🤣🤣🤣

but seriously, if they don't vastly improve the remote play quality before this thing releases, it will be even dumber of a device than it already is.

except that the Wii U had very low input lag, while Sony's remote play is known for massive amounts of lag.
Stadia and GeForce Now had/have less input lag than Sony's remote play...
Maybe for you but not for everyone.

Kokoloko85

They should of released something like Steamdeck/a bit stronger.
Or waited till Switch 2/ SteamDeck 2 and gone with that tech to make a PSP3

Celine

The reason why this supposed "PSP3" is just a mere accessory for PS5 is that in this way Sony doesn't need to invest a lot of money to build an ecosystem around it because it target the PS5 ecosystem, which is SIE core business.
On the other hand I bet Project Q price will hide a heafty profit margin, meaning they will profit handsomely just by selling the hardware, with no risk connected to sell a real new platform.

With Project Q Sony doesn't care to attract new users, nor to try to compete (and being trounced once again) with Nintendo.
It's all part of SIE plan to milk the PlayStation cows (existing userbase) as much as possible for profits.

Last edited:
Top Bottom