• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Pachter says "PC Gamers are like Racists"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

The funny thing is that it feels like it's more likely that there'd be a PC gamer who also plays console games than there would be a console gamer that owns multiple consoles. Not just from a "console fanboy" standpoint, but think about the average console user. They probably just buy the one system and are happy with it.

It just seems like a blanket statement with no thought or data behind it.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Isn't it obvious? The argument is that PC Gamers are more likely to stick with their PCs than they are to jump ship to a console, even a beefed up one like PS4Pro or Scorpio.

Personally, I think he's right.
Hahahaha because I'm not interested in a PS4Pro im now a racist? Why would I even be compared to that, even if I think the console hardware they want me to purchase is inferior to my already purchased electronics?

Sound reasoning between race and electronic warfare.

kunonabi

I wouldn't compare them to racists but my friends who play on PC these days give me the same kind of crap for not playing on PC that I got back in high school for not doing drugs and alcohol. The expectation and demand that any game released must have a PC port can also get pretty annoying from some of the more persistent and whiny PC players.

Basically PC players can be just as annoying as any other console warrior and singling them all out for the behavior of some is silly.

RedSwirl

Trivializing racism by comparing it to people not buying electronics is some next level fuckery.

I was gonna say some shit but this is pretty much it.

Basically every PC gamer I know owns and plays consoles. The ones I hear about who don't are one of the most heterogeneous groups in gaming. They include people from all over the world who don't even really occupy the real of "gaming" in the way GAF posters might, people who only every play WoW or DOTA or some obscure strategy game because that's their one interest and don't really play other games at all. The subset of people who get into PC purely for the most high-fidelity graphics I feel is a minority.

When you open this sort of thread and there's the typical bunch of users going "well he's sorta, kinda right actually!", you just want to close it again.

What an ignorant and broad comparison.

Soltype

This guy is an idiot, most people I know playing on pc are enthusiasts, they buy all the systems.They just spend most time on the pc.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
They're just as bad but not relevant to the discussion.

Prachett is an analist, he constantly has to make generalizations and label people to attempt to predict and explain consumer patterns.

His point is that PC gamers wont care about a new console because it is still a console, and he makes his point (as he often does) a bit crassly for the sake of clarity and entertainment.

Fellow "PC gamers", I beg of you, don't choose this hill to die on. This is dumb.

Sounds like a good time.

M.J. Doja

Banned
b31c4ced285e73f40c884d009c5a7da6-650-80.png

Kidding, obviously.

Damn right you're kidding. This is the correct image to post:
wallpaper_pc_master_race_01_1920x1080.jpg

;)

Sounds legit
imately ridiculous

When are people going to stop giving Pachter attention?
Fanboys can be likened to racists on all platforms, not just PC. Although it's a harsh description.

Crackbone

IMO Racist isn't even the right classification. Classist? Yeah that I can be more supportive of.

There's a subset of the PC gaming community that considers it beneath themselves to touch consoles because they think that is a lesser experience.

As a PC gamer myself there was a time I felt the same way but these days as I'm stretched for time I prefer the couch and just fire it up and play experience of a console.

To each their own.

amdb00mer

So much hate and negativity. How long before somebody foolishly tries to build a "firewall" to keep out the PC gamers.

:p

Cropduster89

Neo Member
Well, I have nothing against console gamers, some of my best friends are console gamers.

But I don't think it's fair for them to flock to steam on mass just because the console infrastructure is so messed up. Our Trading card and CG:GO skin economy can't handle the extra strain. They should stay where they are and make the best of it.

The last thing the steam forums need is 50 million console refugees trying to explain why The Last of Us wasn't a bad game for people with low disposable income and therefor lower expectations of quality. I don't want my children exposed to that kind of primitive mentality, and I don't want their TF2 item trading jeopardized before they've bought all the CK2 dlcs.

Jazzem

This guy is an idiot, most people I know playing on pc are enthusiasts, they buy all the systems.They just spend most time on the pc.

Even for folks who play only on PC, it hardly matters if that's their preference; just as long as they're not standoffish against those who play on other formats.

Stevey

".....who are convinced what they do is better than what anybody else can possibly do...."

That is right though.
PCs are more powerful than current and upcoming consoles and always will be.

wipeout364

I agree with him. If you are truly invested in PC gaming it is an all consuming habit. It costs a lot of cash and time but provides an unparalleled experience with options for customizing your experience. There are things about PC gaming that consoles players never experience like spending Friday night ready to play a game only to have download drivers mods and patches to troubleshoot a game for two hours trying to get it to run well. Wasting hours and hours playing league, counter strike, TF2. Firing up quake to see to see if anybody is playing only to find dozens of servers.
PS4 pro does nothing to persuade PC gamers to leave their ecosystem.

Well, I have nothing against console gamers, some of my best friends are console gamers.

But I don't think it's fair for them to flock to steam on mass just because the console infrastructure is so messed up. Our Trading card and CG:GO skin economy can't handle the extra strain. They should stay where they are and make the best of it.

The last thing the steam forums need is 50 million console refugees trying to explain why The Last of Us wasn't a bad game for people with low disposable income and therefor lower expectations of quality. I don't want my children exposed to that kind of primitive mentality, and I don't want their TF2 item trading jeopardized before they've bought all the CK2 dlcs.

lol

This is not an argument, it is an opinion or a prediction if you prefer. The argument comes after the opinion in order to explain or validate it. In this case the argument that supports his opinion is that "PC gamers are arrogant twits". So he has an opinion which he is trying to support by using the most idiotic argument humanly possible.

I don't prefer. I think what I stated is his argument. All you're doing is splitting semantic hairs. I already added an edit, but in case you missed it, this is what I added:

Edit: I suppose I should add an addendum. I think his core argument is sound; I think a large proportion of PC Gamers that chase the latest and greatest are far less likely to dip on a console, but I think the language used doesn't properly convey that argument.

So I really think that we actually agree insofar as the language used wasn't very good, but I still think he had a point. Just a really shitty way of showing it.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
LOL. Holy shit. So I'm not considered clean anymore because I want to have a powerful mobile gaming experience?

Have you ever even TRIED a Vita? ;)

I know I should have put a /s there as misspelling with "ur" seems to not be enough.

Seriously what the hell even is this thread?

jett

D-Member
When I read abject trash like this it makes me glad Pachter's popularity in this industry has fallen by the wayside.

I remember this one time he had a panel at E3. There were like four people there. He never hosted another panel again.

Filthy peasants:
g13fl.gif

jk btw

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I find the term ''master race'' stupid.

Zalusithix

Actually, if PC gamers are some unified force against consoles, what about the AMD/Intel/Nvidia zealots? Racism within the race? =P The PC realm might be more homogeneous than it was in the past, but it still has diversity and conflict of opinion within it. Hell, we even have different operating systems to contend with.

Boney

Banned
How old is the Yhatzee reference? 9 years?

Way for it to fly over Pachter's head. I'd call him a buffoon for that, but when he uses such a comparison as racism it only makes him look like an ignorant tool.

It's also incredibly outdated considering how much software library is shared between consoles and PC's nowadays, where the perceived elitism stemmed from the influence of Western design and completely different genres that consoles in the 90's had.

Extreme comparison but I see where he's coming from, some act as if anything but PC gaming isnt comprehensible and everything is inferior. I'm sure its the same both ways, just like racism.

Paganmoon

If I have a Core i7 6700k with a GTX 1080, and HTC Vive on the PC side, but also have a PS4, with a pre-order on PSVR and the PS4Pro, what am I then Pachter, please tell me!

I think of them more like those religious folks who won't stop knocking on your door preaching about something you weren't interested in hearing in the first place.

Armaros

Extreme comparison but I see where he's coming from, some act as if anything but PC gaming isnt comprehensible and everything is inferior. I'm sure its the same both ways, just like racism.

Because buying electronics and believing some human beings are inferior are even remotely comparable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom