• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PodcastGAF |OT|

Ward

Hey, does anyone here have a digital recorder? I'm thinking of investing in one to make everything a bit more transportable.

I've got everything narrowed down to these recorders:
Zoom H1
Zoom H2N
Zoom H4N
Tascam DR-40

I'm leaning towards the H2n or the DR-40, since those both look great. I'd prefer to have the XLR input like the DR-40 has, but I've also seen reviews where it seems like it's not the best construction material.

Do you guys have any experience with these?

I've got the Tascam DR-40, and I really like it. No problems whatsoever, but I rarely disconnect the mics.

Definitely get a recorder with XLR inputs so you have room to grow. The audio quality jump from the onboard mic to XLR mics is noticeable. Something like the ATR 2100 should be a future upgrade if you're serious about podcasting.
I wish I had gotten the 60 or 70 with 4 XLR inputs.

I currently use Downcast for all my podcasting needs.

I really did like the idea o Pocket Casts, but I do have one question: do I need to get the premium fee ($9) and also buy the iOS app ($4)?

GCX

I currently use Downcast for all my podcasting needs.

I really did like the idea o Pocket Casts, but I do have one question: do I need to get the premium fee ($9) and also buy the iOS app ($4)?
If you want to use both, then yeah, you need to pay for both ($13 total).

It's an awesome service though that works and syncs flawlessly so I gladly pay that to support the developers. You only need to pay it once (aka no monthly payments) so it's really not much and they can keep improving the service with the money.

Detox

I've recently been listening to a new podcast More Perfect it tells the story behind supreme court cases and so far it has been very engaging.

As a Brit I've got to say NPR's podcast game shits on the BBC.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Pocket Casts is pretty neat, you guys.

Would be nice to be able to sort Filters by podcast, though.

Talking about Pocket Casts, the app just got a big update

Some highlights:
- Swifter Than Swift: We've re-written and re-worked huge parts of the app to make it faster and more future proof.
- Refined User Interface: Every part of the app is refined, more streamlined and better looking than ever before.
- Remove Silence and Volume Boost: two major features every podcasting app needs. Hat tip to the amazing RSS Radio app for pioneering both of these.
- iPad: Split screen and Picture in Picture support among many other changes.
- Up Next: It's now easier than ever to see and manage your Up Next list. Simply swipe the mini player over on any list to get instant add buttons. Long press to re-arrange or remove, tap to play a queued episode right now.
- Dark Theme: We know a lot of you love to listen to podcasts at night, and that a lot of you are sensitive to bright, vivid whites scarring your retina's for life. Well the new Dark Theme is definitely for you.
- Dedicated Download Section: See things you've downloaded recently. Re-claim space in just a few taps.
- Date Based Episode Filtering: Show only episodes that have come out in the last 24 hours, or 2 weeks, or a different time of your choosing. Makes it easy to create a filter of just episodes that are the most relevant
- 3D Touch Shortcuts: Because as satisfying as the little vibrations our current app icon does to indicate there aren't any, being able to quickly get to various bits of the app is even better.
- Stats: We've created a dedicated area where you can see how long you've listened for and just how much time various features in our app have saved you in doing so.
- New Discover Section: find new and interesting podcasts to listen to faster than ever

Junkfood cinema, one of my favorite movie podcasts to listen to. C. Robert Cargill (one of the writers for the Dr. Strange movie and a former spill crew) and Brian Salisbury (former spill crew) are the hosts of the podcast.

NMFried

Hey guys! Just wanted to post this here as my podcast just went live!

It's called Superhero Assembly Line, and we create a new superhero every week using a random Wikipedia page. Would love it if you guys could give it a brief listen and review if you get a chance. Also please feel free to let me know what you think!

SoundCloud | iTunes | Google Play

It's called Superhero Assembly Line, and we create a new superhero every week using a random Wikipedia page. Would love it if you guys could give it a brief listen and review if you get a chance. Also please feel free to let me know what you think!

This is a lot of fun, and you basically have unlimited content for episodes

tirminyl

Sounds cool. Gonna check it out!

Right? That was our thinking. Thanks for your input!
It's my kind of superhero podcast. Will you be doing seasons? If so, could be cool as a season finale to do a battle royale bracket between the heroes you've created each season. Or if not, like every ten heroes or something like that.

NMFried

It's my kind of superhero podcast. Will you be doing seasons? If so, could be cool as a season finale to do a battle royale bracket between the heroes you've created each season. Or if not, like every ten heroes or something like that.

We're still sort of figuring out the format we want to use, but I think the idea is once we have a following we can make the audience part of the show I.e. suggestions.

But the battle royale idea has come up! And I like it, so you never know. Be sure to follow us on Twitter @SHAssemblyLine for news and such!

OT is fully updated now, complete with new and more recent podcasts and links to other related threads like the Fictional Podcasts thread

===

My two favorite recent finds are Sayer and The Feast.

The former is climbing up my list of favorite fictional podcasts. It's a sci-fi story with mix of dark humor and creepy sci-fi horror implications, told through the transmissions of the station's AI. Give it to at least episode 6; that was my favorite yet and sold me on the series. Sayer is finished, so there's a complete story to listen to.

The latter is an interesting history series that explores different eras and life through the focal point of a famous meal or celebration. For example, the meal habits of medieval pilgrims on the Camino de Santiago in 1490, or the 1853 New Year's Eve dinner that started dinosaur fervor among the masses

jm89

Any other podcasts like nosleep? They know how to build a scary atmosphere with the music and have good narrators which I find alot of horror podcasts lack.

Tried giving anything ghost and a couple of others a go but they are really bland.

Any other podcasts like nosleep? They know how to build a scary atmosphere with the music and have good narrators which I find alot of horror podcasts lack.

Tried giving anything ghost and a couple of others a go but they are really bland.
The Magnus Archives is currently my favorite horror podcast. I also enjoy Knifepoint Horror if you haven't listened to that one

I've seen a few other doing it, so I assume self promoting your podcast here is ok? If not, please let me know.

My brother and I started a podcast a few months ago and for the last dozen or so we brought in another GAFfer and we are 24 episodes deep. We split time between games and just general things that annoy us.

two+petes+logo.jpg
Two Petes In A Pod...cast

Please give it a listen and let us know what you think. Always looking for feedback.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Time to go through the OP again. I'm always on the lookout for new podcasts...even if I don't have the time to listen to them all lol.

Recommended it in the other thread, and earlier here, but Sayer has been compared to Night Vale. That kind of "everyday life in a strange obviously-messed-up place" story told to you by a single voice.

Except here it's a space station owned by a questionable company and the voice is the GlaDOS/Hal-style AI speaking to you and guiding you through your life and work at the station. Dark humor, eerie sci-fi horror elements, a detached dystopian tone that becomes unsettling when you actually think about the implications. Listen through episode 6 to see if it's for you

Those here that use the Pocket Casts app, how long have you listened since they added the Stats feature in July?

For me, in the 40 days since that update, I've listened to 180 hours worth of podcasts (7 days and 12 hours)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
4 days 23 hours and I have skipped 9 hours 9 mins.

I thought it would be more. I usually listen to podcasts when I'm at work.

Robaperas

Anybody got recommendations for me based on this?

Never Not Funny, The Long Shot Podcast, The Dana Gould Hour.

This is what I mostly listen to, I still miss Professor Blastoff, Nerd Poker and Womp it Up!.

Is there a good podcast manager/downloader for Windows? I'm currently using Juice, but sometimes it downloads podcasts I already listened to, or downloads the entire run of a podcast. The podcatcher plugin for foobar worked great, but it became obsolete. I use a Sansa Clip+ so I need them on my PC :/

LuffyZoro

Those here that use the Pocket Casts app, how long have you listened since they added the Stats feature in July?

For me, in the 40 days since that update, I've listened to 180 hours worth of podcasts (7 days and 12 hours)

11 days, 22 hours. For the first half of that time I was doing a lot of driving.

DagsJT

Need to look for a new iOS podcast app now that Overcast has introduced advertising into the app. I wouldn't even mind paying a few pounds, maybe £3, but $9.99 is too expensive and that's not even a one off payment so every year is out of the question for me.

I used Pocket Casts on Android and liked that so I think I might go for that again.

Necrovex

Need to look for a new iOS podcast app now that Overcast has introduced advertising into the app. I wouldn't even mind paying a few pounds, maybe £3, but $9.99 is too expensive and that's not even a one off payment so every year is out of the question for me.

I used Pocket Casts on Android and liked that so I think I might go for that again.

Use Pocketcast. It continues to be legit and worth its low price.

Figured I would ask this here: does anyone have any recommendations for podcasts focusing on the education system or teacher life?

Anyone here listen to Song Exploder? I wasn't into it before, but now I'm really enjoying it. Has introduced me to a lot of artists I never would have discovered otherwise

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Anyone here listen to Song Exploder? I wasn't into it before, but now I'm really enjoying it. Has introduced me to a lot of artists I never would discovered otherwise

Sounds interesting. Looking at their episodes, I wasn't expecting them to have some big names.

z3phon

That's a lot of removed silence.

The Magnus Archives is currently my favorite horror podcast. I also enjoy Knifepoint Horror if you haven't listened to that one
Just checked out Magnus Archives and really liked it. Having never listened to any horror podcasts I really liked the atmosphere they built. Need to check out some more horror ones.

Cr0wn0

Overcast is probably one of 3 or 4 apps that I use constantly and don't mind the annual fee. I'm not sure what more can really be added to it though.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Guys please check out the Hound Tall Discussion with Moshe Kasher (who formerly co-hosted the Champs podcast). I just listened to the first two episodes (that would be the two at the bottom of this page: http://nerdist.com/podcasts/hound-tall-discussion-series-with-moshe-kasher/ ) and they were fucking hilarious, informative, and highly entertaining. It's basically comedy / improv performed live with an educational twist. What I've heard so far has been pretty incredible.

Mudron

Just a heads-up that we at the Tardy to the Party podcast just posted a big episode about Homestar Runner.

(I hadn't seen any Homestar before recording this episode, but I've seen enough references to it around GAF that I thought some of you folks might be interested in this ep.)

Top Bottom