• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 PC Performance Thread

aka_bueno

Uhh, I'm running this game max out and locked at 75 fps am I doing something wrong?

Ya must have a godly machine!

Most of us here can get 60+fps like 90% of the time, free roaming. But Surfers Paradise no matter what kills the framerate. And other specific areas or moments with the right conditions tanks framerate.

So for me a rock solid 30fps 110% of the time locked feels better than locked 60fps 90% of the time, but then dropping to 40 and stuttering every now n then in certain areas and in races under certain conditions (Surfers Paradise, AI cars in front, etc).

Was pretty happy with a mix of mostly Medium and a few "High" settings locked at 36FPS (144Hz monitor). I unlocked the first upgrade for the events. As I'm customizing the free car they were about to give me, the game crashed.

I load it back up, the 36FPS lock doesn't work any more and I lost out on the free car. Any workaround for losing out on the free car?

It also crashed again when I was customizing my first and only car maybe 10 minutes later.

Edit: Just crashed four more times while trying to do pretty much anything related to car customization at the first festival upgrade. Still never got that second car.

Same thing is happening to me. Lost the free car.

Justinian

Ya must have a godly machine!

Most of us here can get 60+fps like 90% of the time, free roaming. But Surfers Paradise no matter what kills the framerate. And other specific areas or moments with the right conditions tanks framerate.

So for me a rock solid 30fps 110% of the time locked feels better than locked 60fps 90% of the time, but then dropping to 40 and stuttering every now n then in certain areas and in races under certain conditions (Surfers Paradise, AI cars in front, etc).

Agreed. I'm happier playing at a locked 30fps rather than mostly at 60fps, as godly as it looks when it does manage a smooth 60.

terrible

Banned
I fixed the input lag, it was really bad when locked to 30fps as I've stated before several times (and a lot of you guys also complained).

Not sure what fixed it, basically what I did was uninstall the nvidia drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller (recommended 3rd party software), then reinstall the latest Nvidia drivers from the website (same ones I had) and selected the custom install option (instead of express) > "clean install" box checked > deselected GeForce Experience software install and installed the drivers.

After installed, in the Nvidia Control Panel I set Max performance mode again and then set max prerendered frames to 1 (not sure of this made a difference).

The input lag a lot of us have had, and it was really really bad, is completely gone now at 30fps vsync now. I can finally play at the 30 frame cap, and it feels great now. Was able to increase every setting to Ultra now that I'm running locked at 30. Before I had to settle for a mix of med-ultra and 60fps with drops in the city and stuff like everyone else and I wasn't a fan of this combo.

Ultra at 30fps feels smooth finally, never dips or stutters (from what I played just now). And it's responsive now, no more input lag for me. I can enjoy this game now and not have to worry about constant tweaking and testing.

Hopefully they patch it for performance but right now I'm more ham happy with ultra settings 8xaa at 30fps locked no stutters.
Not to crush your hopes but at first I was having no input lag issues too, I'd say for the first 10+ hours. All of a sudden I started getting it though and since then I've switched to the Xbox version. The game even started doing this weird thing where it'd hold a steady 30 FPS like usual but the game would go in slow motion for a second and my controls would go completely unresponsive during that time. That'd happen a couple times a minute. Unplayable.

So basically don't be shocked if it goes back to running like ass lol.

Vuze

So many random crashes reports plus the difficulty to stay at 60fps but easily staying at 30 gives me Arkham Knight flashbacks.
True. But atleast the stuttering in AK was less annoying to me since it only happened when quickly driving or flying through map chunks (that's atleast what I thought). Here it happens no matter what you do. Probably even if you stand still

Man, this game is giving me just enough issues that I'm considering just playing it on XB1, and that sucks. It looks great on PC, but the crashes and bugs are just deal breakers. Losing the free car and the constant crashing while customizing are just annoying issues.

RyudBoy

I only played for about 20mins but it runs great so far. I noticed some brief drops (like 3fps) early on but it's been smooth after that. Let's hope it holds up.

i7-4790K
GTX 1070
16gb DDR3 RAM
500GB SSD

I left the preset at ultra. Only changes I made were turning off dynamic optimization and bumping the frame rate from 30 to 60.

Crashed in the first half hour, stuttering issues. Nothing new. Don't have the option to play this on an Xbone. May refund it if things aren't better soon.

aka_bueno

I only played for about 20mins but it runs great so far. I noticed some brief drops (like 3fps) early on but it's been smooth after that. Let's hope it holds up.

i7-4790K
GTX 1070
16gb DDR3 RAM
500GB SSD

I left the preset at ultra. Only changes I made were turning off dynamic optimization and bumping the frame rate from 30 to 60.

Wait till you get to the next Festival (Surfers Paradise), and race in there. :D

Rizific

ok, so the issues ive been having seem to have been resolved after updating nvidia drivers. i didnt have the newest geforce experience installed, so i did that crap. then i did a clean install of the game ready drivers. game is running smooth as hell for me right now

6600k @ 4ghz
16gb ddr4 3000

basic video options
1440p
framerate unlocked
vsync off
motion blur off
framerate smoothing on
dynamic optimizaion off

advanced custom (high preset)
everything high except for:
af x16
motion blur quality low
static geometry med
msaa off
fxaa on

when i get ahead of the pack, im cruising around 90-120 fps. lowest dip ive noticed is high 70s driving around. i got play anywhere working so that me and my kid can play at the same time, got him his own account on my xbox. i was watching him play for a good hour or so while i was trying to sort out this game on my pc and i was thinking "man, this game looks great". but at 1440p and 100+fps...its not even close. im happy.

4 crashes in 2 hours >_>

3 of them in menus too.. Once when I was redeeming the first free car they give you, when I rebooted I was unable to redeem the free car.

SZips

4 crashes in 2 hours >_>

3 of them in menus too.. Once when I was redeeming the first free car they give you, when I rebooted I was unable to redeem the free car.

Welcome to my world.

I am up to about 8 crashes in two hours. Seems to run fine while I'm out racing. Then it just completely shits the bed when I try to customize anything or even look at the car at the first Festival area. I even tried out disabling Avast but that did nothing.

Hawk269

Welcome to my world.

I am up to about 8 crashes in two hours. Seems to run fine while I'm out racing. Then it just completely shits the bed when I try to customize anything or even look at the car at the first Festival area. I even tried out disabling Avast but that did nothing.

I have been playing since early access and have had ZERO crashes so far. I have the stuttering, but switching to 30fps with frame rate smoothing, it has been rock solid at 4k and max settings. I can do 60fps for most areas but I get some slight stuttering and frame rate drops to about 45fps or so in Surfers Paradise. Hope a performance patch and to fix other things come out soon.

I have a question is because i have an i73770, that with my 1080msi gaming x i have only between 40/60 fps with a lot of suttering ??
I also have 16 go of ram....
Is the i7 3770 k suffisant to play this game ?

As it stands there will be stuttering with any CPU. Have you tried the fixes in the OP and what various posters have suggested?

Xyber

Runs okay for me. 70+fps for the most part, but occasional drops below 60 in races with a lot of cars. Have only done maybe 5 races in total though, so can get worse.

Playing at 1440p with MSAA disabled and everything else maxed. GTX1080@2GHz and i7 4770K@4.4GHz, 16GB RAM.

derFeef

Welcome to my world.

That really blows. I have had one crash so far, right after the second "tutorial race" so I needed to do it again.

Are people trying to.
Disable game DVR
Disable framerate smoothing
Disable dynamic optimization
Disable MSAA
Helped my stuttering a bit, which is weird...

SZips

I have been playing since early access and have had ZERO crashes so far. I have the stuttering, but switching to 30fps with frame rate smoothing, it has been rock solid at 4k and max settings. I can do 60fps for most areas but I get some slight stuttering and frame rate drops to about 45fps or so in Surfers Paradise. Hope a performance patch and to fix other things come out soon.

Performance, when it works, I'm totally fine with. I have it locked to 36fps on Medium with a couple of High settings. I think it looks and plays great. Didn't notice any framerate drops outside of some pre-race cutscenes as (I assume) assets were loading in.

I would just like to be able to customize my car without fear of it crashing on me almost consistently.

That really blows. I have had one crash so far, right after the second "tutorial race" so I needed to do it again.

Are people trying to.
Disable game DVR
Disable MSAA

I have all of those disabled from the start. It'll be running just fine one second in a customization menu and the next it kind of halts to a dark grey screen with the Windows border up top and then quietly crashes to desktop without any error message.

aka_bueno

Everyone who's just now getting the game unlocked pretty happy with the performance after a few races hehe...

*waits for them to race in Surfers Paradise* *evil laugh*

Bravoexo

Are people trying to.
Disable game DVR
Disable MSAA

hitch fix now that works is Set CPU priority to Low + CPU 0 Affinity Off. Works great now, 108p/1440p/2160p all with 8X MSAA Ultra.

Evo X

I've played over 12 hours and have had zero crashes and average 80+ fps on everything Ultra, no dynamic optimization, and 8xMSAA at 3440x1440. Strange how inconsistent people's experiences with this game are. I do notice erratic fps changes sometimes, like it will bounce between 75-100fps, but GSYNC help smooth it out I suppose since I haven't felt it disrupt my gameplay experience. I can do some more testing in Surfer's Paradise later.

Specs:

5820K@4.4Ghz
16GB 2666Mhz ram
Titan X Pascal @ 1950Mhz core and 10,800mhz memory
1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Performance, when it works, I'm totally fine with. I have it locked to 36fps on Medium with a couple of High settings. I think it looks and plays great. Didn't notice any framerate drops outside of some pre-race cutscenes as (I assume) assets were loading in.

I would just like to be able to customize my car without fear of it crashing on me almost consistently.

I have all of those disabled from the start. It'll be running just fine one second in a customization menu and the next it kind of halts to a dark grey screen with the Windows border up top and then quietly crashes to desktop without any error message.

Pretty much my exact situation (other than I'm running at a locked 30).

I've played over 12 hours and have had zero crashes and average 80+ fps on everything Ultra, no dynamic optimization, and 8xMSAA at 3440x1440. Strange how inconsistent people's experiences with this game are. I do notice erratic fps changes sometimes, like it will bounce between 75-100fps, but GSYNC help smooth it out I suppose since I haven't felt it disrupt my gameplay experience. I can do some more testing in Surfer's Paradise later.

Specs:

5820K@4.4Ghz
16GB 2666Mhz ram
1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD

I've had a similar experience.

I've had like 2-3 crashes in all of my playtime.. 2 of those were from the VIP bug logging into the store inside the game to "purchase" something I already owned. Only one crash aside from that.

I can run at 4k/60 fps on ultra w/ 2x msaa and it will maintain 60 most of the time. With the cpu core 0 affinity and low priority tweak I can drive through surfer's paradise in a race and not drop below 57 fps.

I feel incredibly fortunate as I didn't even have issues downloading it or resuming my paused download.. it worked exactly as advertised and I'm surprised that so many are having problems.

There are some weird things going on w/ cpu usage in the game and I hope they patch it quickly so that people can have a better experience, but my experience has been pretty great so far outside of a small amount of hitching.

Arc07

Do you need to do the CPU affinity fix every time you launch the game or does Windows save that setting for the executable? Won't be home for a bit so I can't test it.

thx tuna :)

Welcome to my world.

An hour since my last post...3 more crashes. Same here man, I was just cycling through paint schemes and bam CTD.

Vuze

An hour since my last post...3 more crashes. Same here man, I was just cycling through paint schemes and bam CTD.
You mean pre-made paint jobs by other players?
I experienced some issues in that regard on Xbox as well yesterday night. Not that the app would crash or anything but after a certain point the game would just show the loading icon on new paints but apparently not do anything else. Took its sweet time until it continued to load.

I wonder if Helios is checking this thread btw? Perhaps we should compile a google doc or anything for the specific issues (like the paint CTD above) + configs they appear on.

Specs:

5820K@4.4Ghz
16GB 2666Mhz ram
1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Interested to see my performance later after work. What temps does your Titan reach under load? Mine was hitting 87c playing Overwatch the other night, puts me off oc'ing it.

Okada

I've not been to Surfers Paradise yet but knocking the setting down to the high preset with 8x MSAA and FXAA on and I'm getting a stable 60-80fps (Gsync 1440p).

The priority and affinity trick seems to have removed my stutter too. I can live with this for now.

That's with a GTX 1080 and 3770K

membran

I think the problem is shadows and how they are computed, shadows are most of the time computed with the CPU because it has to handle all the world's geometry and occlusion.

I did some day and night races in Surfers Paradise tonight :
- day race : 100% Core0 usage and a bit less than 60 FPS most of the time
- night race : 60 FPS and 75-80% Core0 usage

At night there's no sun nor moon shadows, so that's definitely some shadow occlusion being being computed on the CPU (like most of the games, remember Fallout 4 shadow distance FPS hog in cities ?).

As it seems to use Core0 to compute shadows occlusion it's better to disable HT on i7 CPUs to get more power and less drops.

I arrived at the same conclusion earlier.

Also, I'm still hoping to get some feedback from you guys about these observations I've made:

This is not a fix, but try this if you're bored: set shadows to ultra, drive into the rain forest, stand still in front of some light-flooded shadow patches on the road, and wait. They get updated every 10 seconds or so and jump around quite a bit, adjusting to the new sun position. Same with shadows set to "low". This also happens when driving at high speed, which is why the shadows sometimes appear to "bug out".

Your car also appears to have some kind of invisible circle (like only 7-10 meters radius) around it, try driving slowly towards a shadow patch. You'll see the the edge of that invisible circle entering the blurry shadow patch and make it sharp and defined as it crosses through it. This happens even with every setting maxed out.

And MSAA - it doesnt have the same impact 8xMSAA usually has. It also doesn't provide the same clear image quality 8X normally provides. Weirdly, MSAA also affects draw-in distance of some smaller foliage. Try driving slowly near the road's edge without any MSAA turned on - and watch the smaller foliage draw-in a couple of meters in front of you (on some roads, it even affects how far the white stripes on the road are being drawn). Set it to 4x or 8x afterwards, repeat. Be astonished.

Evo X

Interested to see my performance later after work. What temps does your Titan reach under load? Mine was hitting 87c playing Overwatch the other night, puts me off oc'ing it.

Mine doesn't go higher than 80c, but I've got good case airflow and a highly aggressive fan curve.

Wish these cards came with a better cooler than this Founder's Edition bullshit, especially for the money we're paying.

Photomode appears to be stuck in 1080p. Please can you fix this Playground/T10.

4K in game vs photomode
p1bc.jpg

q1bc.jpg

Aperture and shutter speed are 0/off

Just to note these images are crops of 2160p images
originals here
https://abload.de/img/og7ls9w.jpg
https://abload.de/img/og2jnssf.jpg

AsianOni

Thank you! Don't know why FXAA is causing issues (I have 6 GB of VRAM), but disabling it did fix my crashes.
Glad I could help at least someone. :D

Was pretty happy with a mix of mostly Medium and a few "High" settings locked at 36FPS (144Hz monitor). I unlocked the first upgrade for the events. As I'm customizing the free car they were about to give me, the game crashed.

I load it back up, the 36FPS lock doesn't work any more and I lost out on the free car. Any workaround for losing out on the free car?

It also crashed again when I was customizing my first and only car maybe 10 minutes later.

Edit: Just crashed four more times while trying to do pretty much anything related to car customization at the first festival upgrade. Still never got that second car.

Try to set "World Car Level of Detail" to low, just to see it you keep getting crashes. It has helped me a lot.

This completely fixed all of my stuttering! Thanks for sharing!

Specs: I7-6700k stock, Gtx 1080 G1, 16GB DDR4

Thank the dude who discovered it, I just noticed it in another thread which was not being replied to.

I just got the game and 60fps doesn't look possible, lowered everything and tried the method above but i get drops all over the map.

Gtx 970, i5 2500k, 16gb ram

Thank the dude who discovered it, I just noticed it in another thread which was not being replied to.

I just got the game and 60fps doesn't look possible, lowered everything and tried the method above but i get drops all over the map.

CPU bound in this case, if you are running at stock.

Bravoexo

Could you try just the CPU Priority = Low, and not the Affinity? reports of the fix only working with HT CPUs have come in

Top Bottom